July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-05-2005, 10:27 AM   #1 (Print)
MitchO
Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Boondocks 12/4 *SPOILERS*

OK admit it .. how long into the episode did it take you to realize that it actually *was* Samuel L. Jackson doing the voice, and not just someone repeating the dialogue from Pulp Fiction? I'm ashamed to admit that it took a few lines into "Say WHAT? Again!" until I did. Great stuff.

However, I know it's really a secondary concern for this show, but some of the characterization and choices confused me. Why does Tom call Huey instead of Granddad (As Huey responds; "You want ME to find the real killer? N***a, I'm TEN!")? I can see Ed III and Samuel L. deciding to rob the 7-11, but the whole "Put the gun DOWN!" scene confused me. Why would they shoot the clerk? And, of course, the humor of the clerk and the cop being riddled with bullets, only to have them both get back up and be involved in the shooting (and of course, there actually being "Terrorists" in the back with guns blazing).

I'll forgive them tho, because the dialogue is so smart and funny, and the message is true and clear.

Huey: "I know who the feel killer is! He's been bragging about it all day! I knew 20 minutes ago! I have Mapquest directions to his place!"

Riley: "Here's a picture of him! I drew it from the decsription! I almost had time to color it!"

BTW .. what is with the info on this show being constantly off? Last week it said it was supposed to be "The Itis", and then this week it originally said it was again going to be "The Itis", but then it said "The Reality" .. and it was neither of those episodes. And based on the preview for next week .. that episode is neither of those either.
MitchO is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2005, 11:18 AM   #2 (Print)
mike3775

Send a message via AIM to mike3775 Send a message via MSN to mike3775 Send a message via Yahoo to mike3775
I wonder if some of the episodes are considered to risky to air. Thats the only reason I can come up with why it went from Itis to Reality before the show aired
mike3775 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2005, 12:28 PM   #3 (Print)
Fleegle
Criminally Insane

I thought it was impersonator until they started the "Say what again!" lines. There's nobody but Sam jackson that can do that exactly right. How on Earth did they manage to get him to do a voice?

Old 12-05-2005, 12:30 PM   #4 (Print)
dumbunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchO
I can see Ed III and Samuel L. deciding to rob the 7-11, but the whole "Put the gun DOWN!" scene confused me. Why would they shoot the clerk?

They shot the clerk because he kept them from getting their beer. The whole sequence is a metaphor for the invasion of Iraq:

The US suspected Iraq of having WMD (the gun), the US told Iraq to dismantle their WMD, Iraq claimed they didn't have WMD, the UN (the officer) sent inspectors into Iraq looking for WMD, the UN didn't find any, the US insisted they had WMD, Iraq insisted they didn't. As Samuel L. put it, the absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence. Long story short, the US invaded (shot the clerk) anyway, there was more resistance than expected (since "we were robbin' their store"), and it got a little messy.
dumbunny is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2005, 12:33 PM   #5 (Print)
MitchO
Blasphemer: Uses DVR

And, of course "Ed the third, your father helped me build this place!" Nice.
MitchO is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2005, 01:12 PM   #6 (Print)
dumbunny

The show is the best thing on TV right now. Hopefully it'll get some international success, since I don't see the Adult Swim's limited viewership being able to pay for the show's animation quality.

Here's a link to the Aaron McGruder Interview at avclub.com.
dumbunny is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2005, 11:00 PM   #7 (Print)
darthrsg

Best on the tube right now. 3 thumbs up.
darthrsg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2005, 12:51 AM   #8 (Print)
hanumang
Considered unnatural

Send a message via Yahoo to hanumang
Ah yeah, another tight episode.

I'm glad we got to see Jazmine speak finally. And that her voice actor is good.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:09 AM   #9 (Print)
mike3775

Send a message via AIM to mike3775 Send a message via MSN to mike3775 Send a message via Yahoo to mike3775
Another great episode
mike3775 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2005, 11:12 AM   #10 (Print)
jwjody
Custom User Title

Send a message via AIM to jwjody Send a message via Yahoo to jwjody
Right when the guy started talking I thought that was Samuel L. Then when they started doing the Pulp Fiction lines I knew it.

There were some good lines. I liked the Donald Rumsfield quote about "unknown unknowns" There are things we don't know that we don't know.

J

Old 12-06-2005, 11:53 AM   #11 (Print)
frombhto323

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbunny
They shot the clerk because he kept them from getting their beer. The whole sequence is a metaphor for the invasion of Iraq:

The US suspected Iraq of having WMD (the gun), the US told Iraq to dismantle their WMD, Iraq claimed they didn't have WMD, the UN (the officer) sent inspectors into Iraq looking for WMD, the UN didn't find any, the US insisted they had WMD, Iraq insisted they didn't. As Samuel L. put it, the absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence. Long story short, the US invaded (shot the clerk) anyway, there was more resistance than expected (since "we were robbin' their store"), and it got a little messy.

Exactly. To extend the metaphor, the X-box killer is Osama. The line, "I didn't know they would be shooting back at us!" was a hoot! This episode was more political than any so far, and more of what I had expected originally. Not a complaint as much as an observation.
frombhto323 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2005, 02:48 PM   #12 (Print)
Vito the TiVo
Rockin' The Suburbs

Send a message via AIM to Vito the TiVo Send a message via Yahoo to Vito the TiVo
Quote:
Originally Posted by frombhto323
Exactly. To extend the metaphor, the X-box killer is Osama. The line, "I didn't know they would be shooting back at us!" was a hoot! This episode was more political than any so far, and more of what I had expected originally. Not a complaint as much as an observation.

And the fact that the moment that they were about to catch the X-box killer, they randomly go off in another direction. And the boys found out more with "intelligence on the ground" asking around than the ex-soldiers did by kicking ass all day.
Vito the TiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 12:24 PM   #13 (Print)
busyba

I just watched this again... The allegorical stuff didn't occur to me the first time I watched it; it didn't hit me until I read about it here. OMG that was funny! I noticed a couple of other things along those lines that I don't think were mentioned here before. First, the two guys: one is Ed Wanstatler (or whatever) the 3rd. He's got a big "W" on a chain around his neck. His buddy name is "Gin Rummy". W and Rummy. Bush and Rumsfeld.

That and "Robbery ettiquette says that you can't criticize a robbery during the actual robbery; you have to wait until after the robbery". robbery <=> war.

I knew McGruder was good, but he's effin' brilliant!

busyba is offline Report Bad Post Report Post