THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-17-2005, 11:28 AM   #1 (Print)
iankb
Registered User

iankb's Avatar

Location: Reading, UK
BBC To Trial TV Downloads

The BBC are starting trials in providing peer-to-peer downloads of programmes for 7 days after broadcast.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertai...dio/4552635.stm

The article on the PCPro website also provides an email address if you want to take part.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/72866/b...ds-service.html

__________________
Ian.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus
iankb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 05:42 AM   #2 (Print)
steveroe
Must do some work...

steveroe's Avatar

Location: Hull, UK
Send a message via MSN to steveroe
Thanks Ian, email sent. I've been trying to rack down an application address since they announced this yesterday!

__________________
Steve
steveroe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 11:50 AM   #3 (Print)
sjp
Registered User

Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveroe
Thanks Ian, email sent. I've been trying to rack down an application address since they announced this yesterday!

i've been trying to track down an application address since we heard of it at the broadcast assassins thingy last year!
sjp is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 02:05 PM   #4 (Print)
iankb
Registered User

iankb's Avatar

Location: Reading, UK
I've decided to bypass the offer. I use my home PC from work, using GoToMyPC. I didn't want my rather-pitiful upload capacity to be swamped by peer-to-peer file transfers. I assume that I would be obliged to act as a file server as well as a client.

__________________

Old 05-18-2005, 05:07 PM   #5 (Print)
cwaring
Registered User

cwaring's Avatar

Location: West Yorkshire, UK
Send a message via MSN to cwaring
I assumed they were all downloaded/streamed from the BBC servers.

__________________
Carl Waring

Telewest Active Digital with Pace 2000 STB
Now with added Tivoweb!
Tivo TV Ads & PDF Manuals
cwaring is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 06:04 PM   #6 (Print)
iankb
Registered User

iankb's Avatar

Location: Reading, UK
If you read the PCPro article, you will see that it uses P2P technology.

__________________

Old 05-19-2005, 04:22 AM   #7 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

sanderton's Avatar

Location: Somerset, England
Most P2P, like eDonkey, can be throttled. And you don't have to leave it on 24/7.

__________________
Stuart

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 01:27 PM   #8 (Print)
ericd121
Crown Topper

ericd121's Avatar

Location: Milton Keynes, UK
I wonder if they're using BitTorrent?

It would be a shame if they weren't, given many of us have been testing it for just this use...

Actually, a proprietary application based on the BitTorrent protocol would be appropriate for this use.

__________________
Eric
160Gb TiVo + 120Gb TiVo .. Both with:-
CacheCard + TiVoWeb + Mode 0 + EndPad + Daewoo-DS608P (SetPal) FreeView
Try my Lovely TiVoWeb Themes and my HackMan ImageSets
.
ericd121 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2005, 09:10 AM   #9 (Print)
steveroe
Must do some work...

steveroe's Avatar

Location: Hull, UK
Send a message via MSN to steveroe
Anyone else had a reply?

Quote:
Date: 03-Jun-2005 15:03
Subject: iMP Trialist

Thank you for your interest in participating in the iMP trial, we will contact you shortly with further details.

Regards

iMP Team

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

Not sure if this means I'm in or not

__________________
Old 06-03-2005, 09:32 AM   #10 (Print)
ozsat
Very Nice Moderator

ozsat's Avatar

Location: Oxfordshire, UK
If you were going to be in - I'm sure you'd be out if they knew you were posting their e-mails.

__________________
OzSat - TiVo UK - Moderator
ozsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2005, 09:38 AM   #11 (Print)
britcub
Bear with a TiVo

britcub's Avatar

Location: Manchester, UK
I've had the same, non-commital reply...

__________________
I'm pink therefore I'm spam
britcub is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2005, 10:55 AM   #12 (Print)
steveroe
Must do some work...

steveroe's Avatar

Location: Hull, UK
Send a message via MSN to steveroe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat
If you were going to be in - I'm sure you'd be out if they knew you were posting their e-mails.

Sorry Ozsat - I must have missed the part in the sign up (that we haven't had yet) that covered nondisclosure!

Come on, posting an email with both to and from removed... that's a generic email ...

__________________
Old 06-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #13 (Print)
cwaring
Registered User

cwaring's Avatar

Location: West Yorkshire, UK
Send a message via MSN to cwaring
Me got one too

Old 06-04-2005, 03:11 PM   #14 (Print)
ozsat
Very Nice Moderator

ozsat's Avatar

Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Having dealt with such things before - the first people who would be excluded were those who did, or were even suspected of posting information - at any stage.

Those who made comments like "I've sign up" - would be excluded if there details were brought to our attention.