THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2005, 05:04 PM   #181 (Print)
eddyj
Not Eddie, damn it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik
And, back to the original question of the thread, if you sat in jail for days or weeks accused of shoplifting that you didn't commit, I'd feel sorry for you.

But if he had stuffed things in his pants and shirt to look like he WAS shoplifting in the first place, would you feel so sorry?
eddyj is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 05:09 PM   #182 (Print)
aindik

Send a message via AIM to aindik
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj
But if he had stuffed things in his pants and shirt to look like he WAS shoplifting in the first place, would you feel so sorry?

As sorry? Maybe not. Sorry. Sure. Three weeks in jail for stupid but legal conduct makes me feel sorry for the person.
aindik is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 05:30 PM   #183 (Print)
DreadPirateRob
Me at Fort Knox

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixadm
It was her fault she spent 3 weeks in jail. They suspect her of smuggling drugs because of her stupid prank, arrest her, and set bail until they can get the test results back. If she can't post bail, it is HER fault. How were the police supposed to know it was flour and a joke? Just take her word for it? If she is going to play a "joke", she should be prepared to take the consequences that result from that.

If I get stopped at Wal-Mart for suspected shoplifting, and the police are brought in, as long as the circumstantial evidence supports it, they will arrest me, and set bail. If I can't make bail, then I may sit in jail for days or weeks. Even if I didn't shoplift, the fact is, I was accused of it, there was enough evidence to warrant additional investigation, and I would have to either post bail, or sit in jail until it was sorted out.

I might agree with you if she was forced to spend a night in jail. Maybe even 2. But not 21! This is a major metropolitan city we're talking about here, not Mayberry RFD. If it takes the Philly crime lab 3 weeks to determine if a substance is flour or illegal drugs, then they have major, major problems.

Your shoplifting analogy doesn't quite work for several reasons, but the main one is that there is either evidence that you shoplifted, or there wasn't - i.e., they look in your bags, and watch the security tape. There is no further testing needed that is the entire basis for the test against you. I suspect you'd have a different feeling about the situation if you were arrested for shoplifting and it took the cops 3 weeks to get around to watching the video tape that could have cleared you within hours, if not minutes.

And about the bail, if everything is being reported accurately, her bail was $500K. What kind of college student has that lying around? Even to post a bond, she will need $50K, which is then gone (that's the fee the bondsman takes for posting the $500K bail). How is your avereage college student supposed to come up with a spare $50K that will then be in the wind. And again, not to belabor the point, but since the girl did nothing illegal, she should not have even had to post bail.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
DreadPirateRob is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 05:32 PM   #184 (Print)
DBCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrouteone
--Edit. The only reason you would fill condoms with flower and take it onto a plan is to make someone think it is drugs. I say she did exactly what she set out to do.
I'm flabbergasted that nobody can see it as an innocent mistake. It probably never would have crossed my mind that it was suspicious, either. I've never seen cocaine and wouldn't dream of touching it.

I've innocently gotten the evil eye from airport scanners several times, all of them either through their stupidity or mine, but none resulted in false arrest. I once took a Radio Shack electricity kit to a friend overseas. He wanted it for his son. The box wouldn't fit in my suitcase, so I discarded it and packed the kit with my clothing. X-rays showed a lot of wires. They asked what it was and I said "wires." Inspection showed that it was wires. Duh.

Another time, the X-ray showed a lot of wires all over my carry-on. Turned out to be the zippers! How stupid can an airport secirity person be that they have never seen that one?

More recently, I was "caught" with a corkscrew in my shaving kit. Hadn't flown in a long time and I they changed the rules.

Security people are there to look for problems affecting the airplane. If they suspect cocaine, they can confiscate it, but there is no excuse for detaining the person carrying it. What ever happened to "innocent until proven guilty?"

There are far too many innocent people in jail. This country needs a wake-up call.
DBCooper is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 05:36 PM   #185 (Print)
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper
I'm flabbergasted that nobody can see it as an innocent mistake. It probably never would have crossed my mind that it was suspicious, either. I've never seen cocaine and wouldn't dream of touching it.

And, as pointed out earlier, drug smugglers don't smuggle condoms filled with drugs in their suitcases. They smuggle condoms filled with drugs in their digestive systems, or their body cavities.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:36 PM   #186 (Print)
Robin

The more I think about it, the flimsier the "stress reliever" excuse is. Every condom I've laid hands on has been lubricated, not a great feature in a stress reliever.

Although...it depends on how you want to relieve the stress. Is "dildo" bleeped here?

"What Robin said. :D :up:" - Fofer
Robin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 05:39 PM   #187 (Print)
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
The more I think about it, the flimsier the "stress reliever" excuse is. Every condom I've laid hands on has been lubricated, not a great feature in a stress reliever.

Although...it depends on how you want to relieve the stress. Is "dildo" bleeped here?

Apparently not.

But if the condom was lubricated when it was unpacked, it was then combined with a bunch of flour, which might unlubricate it.

And, even if the "stress reliever" thing is bogus, she still didn't do anything illegal unless she said it under oath.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:40 PM   #188 (Print)
jradford
The Jerkstore called

Quote:
I'm flabbergasted that nobody can see it as an innocent mistake. It probably never would have crossed my mind that it was suspicious, either.

I'm pretty suprised that people are so quick to discredit that this actually might have been a mistake. I think we've been watching too much TV to think it is actually MORE likely that she was doing this as a "test run" so that she could smuggle drugs in the future rather than simple mistake by a college girl who made a stress toy out of a condom and flour so that it looked like a penis.
jradford is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 05:45 PM   #189 (Print)
DreadPirateRob
Me at Fort Knox

Quote:

Not all condoms are lubricated. The unlubed ones are not as common, but you can definitely find them.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
DreadPirateRob is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 05:56 PM   #190 (Print)
jradford
The Jerkstore called

I take the "joke/prank" to be much more of a "joke" in the sense that the girl and her friends thinks it's funny that they stuffed a condom full of flour and called it a stress reliever.

I think it is a REAL stretch to think that her calling it a "joke" is saying that she "expected to get caught and then to laugh at the police when they found out it was flour," or something along those lines.

It seems that many people are thinking the latter, which I don't understand. I, personally, feel very sorry for her that it took 3 weeks out of her life to get this straightened out.
jradford is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 06:41 PM   #191 (Print)
mrmike
Ground Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSpike
Actually, I had considered that in a forum where political talk is allowed.

My analysis was that they are measuring stuff outside the building--the particles that escape. With the other they are sensing heat inside the building, but here they are measuring what comes out. More like seeing smoke coming out of a chimney.

BTW, "that" was thinking the 4th didn't apply outside the house.

I don't think that technology actually exists to measure heat inside a house without a sensor inside the house. What you're seeing then, is micro-changes in temperature caused by hot bodies radiating through the walls of the house (and thus, it would fall into that "things that escape" loophole if it existed).
mrmike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 06:45 PM   #192 (Print)
GoodSpike

Quote:
Security people are there to look for problems affecting the airplane. If they suspect cocaine, they can confiscate it, but there is no excuse for detaining the person carrying it. What ever happened to "innocent until proven guilty?"

Innocent until proven guilty never, ever, at any point in time, had anything to do with not being put in jail prior to being tried.

Old 12-30-2005, 06:49 PM   #193 (Print)
GoodSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradford
I take the "joke/prank" to be much more of a "joke" in the sense that the girl and her friends thinks it's funny that they stuffed a condom full of flour and called it a stress reliever..

But that wouldn't explain why she had three of them.

Old 12-30-2005, 06:51 PM   #194 (Print)
GoodSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike
I don't think that technology actually exists to measure heat inside a house without a sensor inside the house. What you're seeing then, is micro-changes in temperature caused by hot bodies radiating through the walls of the house (and thus, it would fall into that "things that escape" loophole if it existed).

I'm not really up on physics, but at best I'd suspect with heat detection they are measuring the heat of the exterior of the house, not heat that actually radiates all the way to their meters. Maybe it is more like light, so it is radiating out and being "seen", but I don't think so.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:34 PM   #195 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixadm
It was her fault she spent 3 weeks in jail. They suspect her of smuggling drugs because of her stupid prank, arrest her, and set bail until they can get the test results back. If she can't post bail, it is HER fault.

Can't agree. Why should the ability to come up with cash have anything to do with it? If she is too poor, she can't have the same justice as someone with more money? I know it often works that way, but it doesn't make it right.

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 09:08 PM   #196 (Print)
jcondon

My mom finds stuff when she travels that she can't get at home. She would buy it and bring it with her. However she is getting older so lugging extra stuff in her suitcase isn't exactly high on her list of things to do.

However I doubt either you or she would take it out of its original packaging and poor it into Condoms for transport. I would assume you would want to cook with it at some later date. If someone had bought flour and left it in the original packaging and then spent 3 weeks in jail because the police thought it was drugs I would probably feel bad for them and maybe even be on their side if they decided to file a lawsuit.

3 weeks is harsh but, she purposely put herself in a bad position. That was her CHOICE. I don't buy it was a stress reliever thing or whatever either. Why would you make it out of flour. That will make one hell of a mess. There was no accident involved. She was playing games and lost.

Quote:
Not unheard of. My ILs live in New Hampshire and we occasionally visit King Arthur Flour while we're up there. As long as it didn't push me over a weight or bag allowance with the airline, it would be perfectly logical to buy specialty flours there, rather than pay shipping from ordering them online.
jcondon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 11:41 PM   #197 (Print)
busyba

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik
Bush would not have been at a baseball game 2 days after 9/11.

I could see him doing that.

busyba is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-31-2005, 12:35 AM   #198 (Print)
unixadm
Super Moderator

Tried to keep politics out of it...but some people just don't learn

"I truly fear you!" - JediCowboyD
"Unixadm is right" - mwhip
"wow, you're good" - Brig1977
"[It's] Bad karma to prove a mod wrong." - newsposter
unixadm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post