Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-21-2005, 04:51 PM   #1 (Print)
notanotheracct

r10 series 2 question?

i recently got an r15 dvr (my first dvr, besides one from cablevision) and while it works fine in most cases, only a few things that bug me about it are the fact that it can't differintiate between "first premiered" and "not saved". for example, lets say one channel airs new episodes of a series every saturday, and during the weekdays airs older repeats of the same show/series, the dvr records EVERY show. i'd like it to either be able to tell the difference between them or just record the show only on saturdays. can a directivo r10 do any of what i'm asking? and if so, does anyone know the best way to get one for cheap? when i got my r15 directv said they could only give me what they had left and couldn't give a specific model.

a few other small reasons i'm interested in an r10 is the ability to upgrade the hard drive and because some of my recordings on the r15 have graphical glitches from time to time, and i'm not sure why.

also i'd appreciate a link to the r15 forum.

[edit] also, i wanted to know how directivo series 2 units handle being on VOIP compared to POTS, and if anyone has info about putting it on a broadband connection.

Last edited by notanotheracct : 12-21-2005 at 05:10 PM.
notanotheracct is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 07:30 PM   #2 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

DirecTiVos don't like VoIP any more than regular TiVos do, but they also can live without a phone connection. It is possible to modify DTiVos for network access, but the R10 is a heck of a lot harder to do this on than the other models. However, even connected to the network, that can't be used as a replacement for phone calls.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:08 PM   #3 (Print)
otownrob

Free R10

I just bought an R10 at Best Buy for $99 and DIRECTV has a $100 Rebate, so it's free, assuming that I ever see that Rebate
otownrob is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 08:14 PM   #4 (Print)
rick31621

I had the R15 and replaced it with another R10.
Go to BB or CC and pick up a R10. With the rebate it will be free.
It only took 5 weeks to get the rebate from D*.
rick31621 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 12:37 AM   #5 (Print)
notanotheracct

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanotheracct
i recently got an r15 dvr (my first dvr, besides one from cablevision) and while it works fine in most cases, only a few things that bug me about it are the fact that it can't differintiate between "first premiered" and "not saved". for example, lets say one channel airs new episodes of a series every saturday, and during the weekdays airs older repeats of the same show/series, the dvr records EVERY show. i'd like it to either be able to tell the difference between them or just record the show only on saturdays. can a directivo r10 do any of what i'm asking?

thanks for the info and link, but what about my other question, how does the r10 handle my situation compared the the r15?

also, how well does the r10 operate without a landline, i thought it could only get its special guide through that? and i actually thought it could get the guide through broadband connection if not from dialing.
notanotheracct is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 12:59 AM   #6 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
i recently got an r15 dvr (my first dvr, besides one from cablevision) and while it works fine in most cases, only a few things that bug me about it are the fact that it can't differintiate between "first premiered" and "not saved". for example, lets say one channel airs new episodes of a series every saturday, and during the weekdays airs older repeats of the same show/series, the dvr records EVERY show. i'd like it to either be able to tell the difference between them or just record the show only on saturdays. can a directivo r10 do any of what i'm asking?.
The answer is yes, all DirecTiVos R10 included can record only first run (new) shows, and in fact that is one major bug that exists in the R15 at the moment.

Quote:
and if so, does anyone know the best way to get one for cheap? when i got my r15 directv said they could only give me what they had left and couldn't give a specific model.
R10s are available, and in fact some of the older model DirecTiVos are available.

Quote:
a few other small reasons i'm interested in an r10 is the ability to upgrade the hard drive and because some of my recordings on the r15 have graphical glitches from time to time, and i'm not sure why.
All of the DirecTiVos can have the storage (record time) upgraded. But the graphical glitches that you might be talking about are likely known as pixelizations, and they can exist in all digital content, including DirecTV content and usually the DVR is not always at fault.

Quote:
also i'd appreciate a link to the r15 forum.
It use to be available at the top of this forum. I recommend that you search for a post.

Quote:
also, i wanted to know how directivo series 2 units handle being on VOIP compared to POTS, and if anyone has info about putting it on a broadband connection.
DirecTiVos can be hacked to eliminate the need for a phoneline connection, except in a few cases, like NFLST and PPV purchasing via a remote. But almost all, but all TiVos including some model of the DirecTiVo series have problems with VOIP connections and is likely still a problem with the R15. The long term requirement for a landline/phoneline is actually a DirecTV requirement and is not a TiVo requirement. SA TiVos can use a broadband connection for their guide data, but all DirecTiVos or DirecTV DVRs receive their guide data from satellite download/recordings.

(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 HMO/MRV
(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
with TyTool, TServer, TiVoServer
tbeckner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post