Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2005, 09:44 AM   #1 (Print)
valereee2000

Question Reliability comparison of DVD units

I searched on this and didn't find what I was looking for, so please forgive me if I simply didn't search on the right terms.

We've got a TiVo that is possibly going bad and are trying to decide whether we want to get a DVD unit if we need to replace it. I've read a lot of posts that seem to be complaining of reliability issues, and that's our biggest concern. We're always wary of combination units in general -- more to go wrong, we figure. The DVD burning issue is one of convenience for us, not a must-have. What we DON'T want is a unit that is going to break down and need to be shipped off for repair/replacement.

So:

Are the DVD units less reliable than the non-DVD units in general?

Of the DVD units, which models/brands seem to be the most reliable? Are there any to steer clear of?

Finally, are these models simply too young yet, and (since it's only a nice-to-have issue for us rather than a must-have) maybe we should consider it for our NEXT TiVo purchase rather than this one? We have another unit that is two years old, so we'll probably be buying a replacement in a couple years.

All opinions gratefully accepted!

Thank you!

Val
valereee2000 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-10-2005, 10:23 AM   #2 (Print)
TiVoEvan74

There have been a lot of reports of probs with the DVD burning units...

what's going wrong with your current TiVo? Often, people report here that it's the hard drive going... in which case, you have an option of putting in a bigger hard drive into your current TiVo! Personally, I'd only do that if you're using a Series 2 TiVo. If you don't have a Series 2, that's a real possibility.

The DVD burning is incredibly convenient... we have 2 of the TiVo DVD burning units... only 3 failed disks (1 was a problem when put into the machine, likely a disk prob; the other 2 failed when recording 12 1/2 shows). The units are MUCh quieter than earlier TiVos.

If you find a deal, go for it! And if you buy locally, say at a Best Buy or Circuit City, you'd be able to easily return it for an exchange if something were to go wrong (far less hassle than on line, mail order)
TiVoEvan74 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-10-2005, 10:30 AM   #3 (Print)
valereee2000

Evan, thanks so much for the replay. It's a Series 2, 80 hour, 3 years old. Temp is 38(normal), and we just tried the q-tip test and think it's not the fan. Whirring noise, comes and goes, seems to be worsening. We suspect it's a HD issue, although so far we're seeing no other symptoms. The unit has lifetime, so I'd love to fix it, but I've never tried any computer building or repair, so I'd probably only attempt it it's either dead easy or if the replacement parts weren't too expensive.

Val
Old 12-10-2005, 10:40 AM   #4 (Print)
dirtypacman
Best in Class

For the question at hand about Tivo/with DVD Burner's

I have both a Pioneer and Toshiba Tivo with DVD burning drive.
I have had success for almost 2 years with the Pioneer and no problems yet with the Toshiba for about 9 months.
I like the Toshiba because it came with a larger hard drive to start with.

I do get a failed disk every so often when trying to burn but success is around 95%.
Since its so darn easy to archive with the burner I highly recommend it for ease of use.

(no option to edit content is the only downside)

3) PIONEER #810H-S
4) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour

Comcast HD & Digital
home wired network (4) USB200M
dirtypacman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-10-2005, 03:49 PM   #5 (Print)
TiVoEvan74

You can send it in to weaknees and they'll put in the hard drive for you!

Many people do it themselves... you can read the directions for the weaknees kit, too. I was scared off by the unprotected power supply warning, but others say it's no big deal.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:18 PM   #6 (Print)
valereee2000

I actually just packed it up and shipped it off to Louisville! I called TiVo to see if they had any advice, and they said they'd exchange it for free. Which is amazing since it's three years old. I decided the opportunity to get a newly refurbished one was worth the weeks without TiVo on that TV.

However, I'm still interested in the original question of reliability of the various w/DVD brands, as we have another TiVo that is two years old and our experience has been that we get about three years out of a box and then, kaput.

Val
Old 12-10-2005, 05:17 PM   #7 (Print)
TiVoEvan74

That's simply amazing! I think there's been a sea change in TiVo service recently... congrats!
Old 12-10-2005, 05:38 PM   #8 (Print)
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

They're transferring the lifetime?

Not bad.

Old 12-10-2005, 05:59 PM   #9 (Print)
valereee2000

Yes, the lifetime goes with it -- they asked for the service number because they needed it to transfer the lifetime.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:46 PM   #10 (Print)
Xenophod
N3WBI3

Quote:
Originally Posted by valereee2000
Yes, the lifetime goes with it -- they asked for the service number because they needed it to transfer the lifetime.

That's good to know~ Acctually, that's GREAT to know!

hummmm..... Maybe I'll be getting a lifetime here sooooonly....
Xenophod is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2005, 05:58 PM   #11 (Print)
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Send a message via ICQ to megazone Send a message via AIM to megazone Send a message via Yahoo to megazone
Quote:
Originally Posted by valereee2000
However, I'm still interested in the original question of reliability of the various w/DVD brands, as we have another TiVo that is two years old and our experience has been that we get about three years out of a box and then, kaput.
The Toshiba and Humax DVD-RW units are the same thing. Really - just different face plates and different size drives. Otherwise the same hardware. The Toshiba's come with TiVo Basic, that's the only software difference.

I have a Pioneer DVR-810H and a Toshiba RS-TX20. The Pioneer is my main unit. Partially because I got it first and since I've had it much longer, it is much better trained - it knows what I like. And partially because it is based on the older 240 platform, which has faster network performance than the newer 540 platform - which the Toshiba is based on. So I have the Pioneer in my living room and the Toshiba in the bedroom as the backup box. Feature wise they're pretty much the same, except the Pioneer doesn't have a Firewire input, which the Toshiba has.

I haven't burned many DVDs on the Toshiba, but I have burned many on the Pioneer with very few coasters. I'm happy with both of them.

megazone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post