Yes! 73 68.22%
No (please reply) 34 31.78%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2003, 12:50 PM   #91 (Print)
TimTrace
Join the TiVolution!

Send a message via AIM to TimTrace Send a message via Yahoo to TimTrace
Can someone quote the status quo of USB Ethernet (un)support to HDVR2?

If I'm reading this correctly: HDVR2 cannot "do" USB ethernet support without extensively hacking the OS, and risking a non-booting TiVo in the process.

Is there any official noise from TiVo that leads us to believe they're going to officially support USB ethernet at some point in the future? If so, what time frame?

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2003, 02:08 PM   #92 (Print)
fr3d
Fr3d is Me

HDVR2 includes the drivers for USB ethernet but does not load them by default. It is possible with the version of the OS that shipped on the original HDVR2s to get networking loaded again (took me about 20 min) but the update disables the easy hack that enables this. You can disable receipt of new updates, but this is at best a short term solution.

Fr3d
fr3d is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2003, 08:26 PM   #93 (Print)
Stunami

Question

Quote:

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 BASH_ENV=\`mount\$IFS-n\$IFS/dev/hdaXX\$IFS/mnt;echo\$IFS/mnt/hacks\`" -C /dev/hdc

Isn't this incorrect?

Shouldn't it be:

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hdc7 BASH_ENV=\`mount\$IFS-n\$IFS/dev/hdcXX\$IFS/mnt;echo\$IFS/mnt/hacks\`" -C /dev/hdc

The drive that we're working with is hdc, so why are there references to hda??? hda is your WINDOWS drive, correct?

I'm not sure I understand what exactly is happening here.

Thanks,

Stunami[QUOTE]
Stunami is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2003, 08:47 PM   #94 (Print)
paladin732
Life Bites

Quote:
Originally posted by Stunami
Isn't this incorrect?

Shouldn't it be:

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hdc7 BASH_ENV=\`mount\$IFS-n\$IFS/dev/hdcXX\$IFS/mnt;echo\$IFS/mnt/hacks\`" -C /dev/hdc

The drive that we're working with is hdc, so why are there references to hda??? hda is your WINDOWS drive, correct?

I'm not sure I understand what exactly is happening here.

Thanks,

Stunami[QUOTE]
HDA is what the drive is in the tivo, hdc is what it is in the computer, thatsmy take on it atleast
paladin732 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2003, 10:32 PM   #95 (Print)
Stunami

Quote:
Originally posted by paladin732
HDA is what the drive is in the tivo, hdc is what it is in the computer, thatsmy take on it atleast

I had considered that actually.. You're probably right, but in my case it's moot as I have the 3.1.0-01-2-151 version that does not accept the BASH_ENV variable. So I'm stuck w/o telnet OR ethernet support.

Looks like I'm going to HAVE to get a phone line so I can use my Tivo. I can't tell you how much this pisses me off. I can't stand it when companies TAKE AWAY features.. Mostly I blame Directv though, as they have a long history of not working with their customers, but against them.

Stunami
Old 01-03-2003, 10:57 PM   #96 (Print)
trubin

Stunami,

The update over broadband should work with 3.1, just like any other 3.X release. If its not working for you, it may be that the nic is connecting at 100 mb, and needs to be connecting at 10mb, You could use a 10 meg hub, up-linked to the 100mb hub, if nothing else.

I believe, in due time, things will work out.

also, enable the update prefix... ,#401
trubin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2003, 12:08 PM   #97 (Print)
Stunami

Quote:
Originally posted by trubin
Stunami,

The update over broadband should work with 3.1, just like any other 3.X release. If its not working for you, it may be that the nic is connecting at 100 mb, and needs to be connecting at 10mb, You could use a 10 meg hub, up-linked to the 100mb hub, if nothing else.

I believe, in due time, things will work out.

also, enable the update prefix... ,#401

We are still talking about the HDVR2 (S2 DTivo) right? From everything I've read here on tivocommunity Directv disabled USB support, and the only way to get it back is to get a bash prompt and write a hackinit file w/ the insmod commands re-enabling the USB ports. For reference on the Directv disable see the post by TivoPony where he says
Quote:
Well, that post got me up and looking at mine tonight too. It's been connected via dial-up. Brought my provo over to a cat-5 drop, and I couldn't get mine working either.

I started calling people to see why the un-support code wasn't working.

It turns out that DIRECTV didn't include broadband as part of the spec for their DVR service, even 'un-supported'. At least for now. We developed the product under contract with DIRECTV. It's no longer our service, and it's not our decision to make.

So I'm sad to report that the ,#401 backdoor prefix won't work for now with the new HDVR2. I'm told the unofficial add-on boards for the Series1 boxes shouldn't be effected though.

Even though they're not enabled at the moment, the HDVR2 USB ports do allow DIRECTV to offer new services and features in the future. And there are many things that they are discussing with us. I guess I'm saying that there's interest in using those ports...they weren't just put on there for looks. But in the end, DIRECTV decides what's in and what's out.

The good news is that the combo systems don't have to call in very often. I know some of you were looking forward to making use of broadband right away, at least in some small way. While I believe we'll get there, it won't be today.

This gives me hope, but doesn't solve my immediate problem of needing a phone line before I can actually use my HDVR2.

Stunami
Old 01-04-2003, 12:31 PM   #98 (Print)
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

Yes, everything writen there is correct. The thing that I am hoping for is MussleNerd has figured out how to tell the TiVo to not check the boot parms for validity. If that is the case, and it works under 151 then we are golden again.

-Mike

that's a standing offer - anything I can do, anytime. Jobeth66
I spit it out on the ground (oh, how I wanted to swallow!). InigoMontoya
Combat Medic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2003, 11:13 PM   #99 (Print)
trubin

Actually, I had not seen TivoPonys remarks, but its all new news to me, now... And very interesting to see Dtivo pulling strings for customized sftwr releases...
trubin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2003, 12:31 AM   #100 (Print)
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

Quote:
Originally posted by trubin
Actually, I had not seen TivoPonys remarks, but its all new news to me, now... And very interesting to see Dtivo pulling strings for customized sftwr releases...

I'm sure if you pay enough TiVo will make a version with your name on it where you pull the strings.

-Mike
Old 01-05-2003, 04:27 AM   #101 (Print)
Keven

Question HDVR2 Ethernet Problems

Ingineer,

I have a DTIvo Series 1 that I was able to setup with Turbonet and I recently got an HDVR2. I have upgraded the HDVR2 drive capacity, but I'm having difficultly getting the USB Ethernet connection to work.

I am using a Linksys 10/100 compact USB network adapter. I saw confilicting messages about whether or not the Linksys adapter should work.

It appears that the USB port is activated for eth0 since the "100" LED lights up on the USB adapter - and while trying various things I made a change which I believe disabled your hook into the OS. When this occurred the "100" LED did NOT light up - which leads me to believe that the USB driver is actually being loaded via the script you previously provided.

I tried adding some statements into the hackinit file to try and see what is happening with the ifconifg and route commands, but I can't seem to get any output recorded from either command. (I do not have a serial connection and so I'm swapping the drive between my computer and the HDVR2.)

I tired "route>>/var/hack/hackinit.log" and "route -n>>/var/hack/hackinit.log" and in both cases there is basically nothing in the output - other than what appear to be header columns. So the "route add" commands don't appear to be working? Perhaps because eth0 is not being added?

I can't find any messages in the kernel log that would indicate a problem with either the USB ethernet or with the route add commands (no "SIOCxxxx messages).

But the original kernel log had some messages that mentioned Linksys and 10TX, but the timestamp is months before I bought the HDVR2 (and my network is setup for 100 Mbit) so I assume this must be something from the factory?

I've since removed the original kernel log and since then I haven't seen any messages that mention Linksys nor pegasus in the log.

This leads me to believe that perhaps I am not really loading your hook into the OS?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Keven

Ingineer wrote:

Here's how:

Plug in your USB Ethernet adapter, and then add this to the end of your hackinit file or type it in at your bash prompt:

insmod /diag/usbcore.o
insmod /diag/usb-ohci.o
insmod /diag/pegasus.o
ifconfig eth0 10.10.10.10 broadcast 10.10.10.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default gw 10.10.10.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

Be sure to replace my IP address settings (blue) with your IP addresses for the TiVo, the Broadcast, and the Gateway (router).

If all goes well, you will be online!

I will post more soon, like how to get the Telnet & FTP daemons up..... [/B
Keven is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2003, 11:18 PM   #102 (Print)
Keven

Angry HDVR2 3.1.0-01-2-151 wiped out boot

Ingineer,

I gave up trying to use the Linksys USB ethernet and bought a Belkin USB 10/100 Ethernet Adapter.

Without making any additional changes to the TiVo I booted with the Belkin adapter and my network came right up!!! I must have spent 8-12 hours yesterday trying to get this to work with the Linksys - thinking that I must be doing something wrong.

In order to be 100% sure the Linksys was really not working I rebooted the TiVo with the Linksys - and although the "100" LED lit it still did not have a network connection. The same as yesterday.

I rebooted with the Belkin adapter and the network connection didn't work!? When I put the TiVo drives back in my computer I found the bootparms were still there, but the hack directory was gone!? (I saw someone else mention that something similar had happened to them.) I am not very familiar with Linux and there are so many partitions I don't know if the TiVo just changed to a different partition, which had files and directories similar to what I'd seen before, or if something else happened?

In any case, I restored the hack directory and files and booted the TiVo with the Belkin adapter and my network connection was restored.

I don't think the Linksys adapter was defective, since the LEDs would light on both the adapter and on my Linksys router. So the physical connection appeared to be there, but for some reason it appears as though the HDVR2 TiVo drivers would not work with this adapter? I saw someone else (I think) who said they got a network connection with a Series 2 using a Linksys adapter - but maybe they were using a SA Series 2 TiVo?

I was able to change my calling prefix to ,#401 and TiVo did make it's daily call over my broadband connection, but unfortunately it downloaded a new software version. Since I already had my computer and TiVo apart I decided I might as well see what would happen with the new version. (I went from 3.1.U5-01-2-151 - which was how it came from Best Buy - to version 3.1.0-01-2-151.)

Somewhere else I saw someone mention that TiVo would check the bootparms, find you've made a change, delete your change, and then reboot. This is what seemed to happen after I rebooted the TiVo (and it began installing the software update). The TiVo booted twice and after the second boot I no longer had a network connection.

I put the TiVo drives back in my computer and I found the boot parms you (Ingineer) supplied were gone - and the parm was changed to hda4 (not hda7 as it originally was before I started making any changes).

I tried using the bootpage program to add your (Ingineer) parms again - and I found (I did this twice, just to be sure) that TiVo booted twice and I did not have a network connection. When I put the TiVo drives back in my computer the boot parms were gone.

So it looks like someone smarter than I will need to find a way around 3.1.0-01-2-151 in order to make any hacks work on the HDVR2? (I know some have tried a parameter they think will prevent TiVo from making software upgrades, but another person said this did not stop TiVo from changing his software level.)

Out of curiousity I tried using your (Ingineer) original boot parms using hda7 as before (instead of the current hda4), but TiVo wasn't working properly. I've forgotten exactly what happened, but I think TiVo said it could not acquire the satellite.

I changed the boot parm back to hda4, as TiVo did after the software upgrade, and decided I would have to do without the Ethernet connection (and other TiVo hacks) until someone else figures out a way around the problem.

But when booting the TiVo it still gave me an error message that it could not acquire the satellite. I checked the signal strength again and everything looks okay.

I guess I'm going to have to restore to my new drives from the original 40Gb drive and start all over again?

Thanks for all your help and hopefully you, or someone else, can find a permanent solution sometime soon.

Keven
Old 01-05-2003, 11:25 PM   #103 (Print)
Keven

Exclamation Re: hack directory gone

pdog,

If I understood you the /var directory and files were still there, but your /hack subdirectory and files were gone?

If so, yes - something similar happened to me.

My experience - losing hack directory

Keven

Quote:
Originally posted by pdog
Has anyone found that their /var partition was cleaned out? I booted my tivo, got network, rebooted it and the network wouldn't work. When I pulled the drive and examined it, the /var partition was clean - no hack directory.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:44 PM   #104 (Print)
Keven

Re: HDVR2 3.1.0-01-2-151 wiped out boot

One other thing I forgot to mention when I wrote about my experience.

When TiVo performed the software upgrade and changed the boot parms to hda4 I found there is no /diag directory on this partition, but on hda7 there is a /diag directory.

In Ingineer's instructions he showed using this directory (/diag) to load the USB drivers. I found someone else who showed an example using the /sbin directory. The files seem to be in both directories and although the file size is the same the files in the /diag directory (if I remember correctly) show a newer date. I saw someone else who asked what's the difference between the drivers in the two directories. Does anyone know?

If TiVo is going to use a partition without the /diag directory should we be using the /sbin directory instread to load the USB drivers? (Although this is a moot point for me because I can't make any hacks with the latest TiVo update.)

Keven
Old 01-06-2003, 10:05 AM   #105 (Print)
pdog
Whack MC

Re: Re: hack directory gone

Yes, it is known that the Tivo can "repair" the /var partition by deleting all unknown files/dirs. I don't know what causes it; perhaps too many reboots within a set amount of time?

I solved this problem by moving the hackinit script into the /dev/hda16 partition and not changing the /var partition at all. The problem is that you don't get any of the binaries in /var/hack/bin that are useful, like "ls". :-) I rolled my own ls:

#!/bin/bash

for i in *; do
echo $i
done

So I have the software not upgrading and the network working but my daily call still tries to go through the modem. Anyone with ideas is welcome to reply or PM me directly.

Quote:
Originally posted by Keven
If I understood you the /var directory and files were still there, but your /hack subdirectory and files were gone?

Old 01-08-2003, 01:00 PM   #106 (Print)
gquinn

Question

Maybe this is a stupid question but here goes,
After your software is upgraded and the hack disappears why can you not just mount the root partition and go to
the system initialisation file in /etc/rc.d, edit the rc.sysinit file and put in the code to enable bash,network,ftp in there

Old 01-08-2003, 03:12 PM   #107 (Print)
pdog
Whack MC

It's not a stupid question but it is answered in numerous other threads.

Everything except data in the /var partition is effectively read-only in Series 2 boxes. All other files are verified as "good" by the Tivo kernel on bootup.

Quote:
Originally posted by gquinn
Maybe this is a stupid question but here goes,
After your software is upgraded and the hack disappears why can you not just mount the root partition and go to
the system initialisation file in /etc/rc.d, edit the rc.sysinit file and put in the code to enable bash,network,ftp in there

Old 01-13-2003, 08:36 PM   #108 (Print)
Ranger
Would-be TiVo Hacker

Quote:
Originally posted by pdog
Everything except data in the /var partition is effectively read-only in Series 2 boxes. All other files are verified as "good" by the Tivo kernel on bootup.

How are the good things certified as being good? Since the software is field updateable, the checksums or whatever can't be burned into the rom, right? Where is this information kept? Can it be changed? Is it a MD5 or something?
Ranger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2003, 12:11 AM   #109 (Print)
fr3d
Fr3d is Me

Quote:
Originally posted by Ranger
How are the good things certified as being good? Since the software is field updateable, the checksums or whatever can't be burned into the rom, right? Where is this information kept? Can it be changed? Is it a MD5 or something?

They are sha's but that file is signed somewhere we have a thread arround here discussing this do a search for El Gemal
Old 01-14-2003, 05:23 PM   #110 (Print)
gquinn

What about this?
I did make a backup of my Tivo hard drive before it was
upgraded.
Can I just do a restore of that back on to my Tivo hard drive or
is it too late once the upgrade occurs.

Old 01-15-2003, 12:33 PM   #111 (Print)
pdog
Whack MC

Yes.

Quote:
Originally posted by gquinn

Can I just do a restore of that back on to my Tivo hard drive

Old 01-15-2003, 01:50 PM   #112 (Print)
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

OK, anybody have a HDVR2 image where I can do USB ethernet? Please.

-Mike

Old 01-15-2003, 03:40 PM   #113 (Print)
alansh

Quote:
Originally posted by Ranger
How are the good things certified as being good? Since the software is field updatable, the checksums or whatever can't be burned into the rom, right? Where is this information kept? Can it be changed? Is it a MD5 or something?
As near as I can tell:
  • Tivo has a public/private key pair. The public key is burned into the Series2 ROM. When the system boots, it uses this to makes sure the kernel was signed using the private key.
  • The first thing the kernel does (via linuxrc) is compare the files in the various directories against a list of hashes. If any don't match, it tries to restore them from the alternate partition. If they still don't match, it fails to boot.
  • It also checks the environment and removes any unauthorized additions from the boot parameters (so BASH_ENV won't work).
To do an upgrade, Tivo figures the new hashes for the files and puts them in the kernel's list. They package this list with the kernel (in the init ram disk) and sign it with their private key. Since the signature will match the public key, the unit will run the upgrade.

The only part of this we can't do is sign the kernel using Tivo's private key. Needless to say, Tivo is going to keep this key, um, private. Without it, any hacking is very limited.

Modifying the boot ROM to disable the signature check is difficult. Even if it's flashable, you need to get into the system to run a flash program in the first place. The ROM is not socketed, so swapping it out would require soldering. Since the ROMs contain copyrighted Tivo code, a third party couldn't sell modified ROMs anyway. Tivo could also modify their applications to check for a modified ROM, and refuse to run if they found one.

Last edited by alansh : 01-15-2003 at 03:49 PM.
alansh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-16-2003, 10:59 AM   #114 (Print)
brian873

updateprom on HDVR2?

This is probably something which has been answered already but I'll mention it anyways just in case. I was poking around my Tivo's filesystem (HDVR2) backup, and I found an updateprom utility? A lot of people have said that the prom on the series 2 cannot be flashed in system, but would have to be desoldered, and programmed externally. What is this updateprom program for (on a virgin HDVR2 tivo) if the prom cannot be updated?

Also, I read that the inactive partition on the tivo contains the previous downloaded software image. Is it possible to set the system to boot from that image instead of the new anti-hack 3-2 version? How about doing a DD image of the older (inactive) partition, and setting the output file to overwrite the newer (active) partition. Would this work, or are there additional updates to the MFS partition which would render the older software image incompatible with an upgraded tivo?

Brian

Last edited by brian873 : 01-16-2003 at 11:02 AM.
brian873 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-17-2003, 01:54 AM   #115 (Print)
fr3d
Fr3d is Me

MuscleNerd - Did you ever confirm if the SA S2's use the same keys? If so we should be able to snag the start-up scripts from there, add the appropriate signature to the sig file and be off again. I have been too busy of late to try this but I am hopefull it will work, dont you agree?
Old 01-18-2003, 07:16 PM   #116 (Print)
fr3d
Fr3d is Me

Quote:
Originally posted by MuscleNerd
fr3d: unless I'm confused about what you're saying, I don't think any of the SA S2 stuff helps us here.

Why wouldnt it? As I understand it the S2 SA's have the same processor architecure, use the same keys to sign the files, etc. If those statements are correct, we should be able to take whatever startup file(s) the S2 SA's ship with that effect starting the network (rc, and possibly replacing the appropriate b64 sig in the signature file ) and put them on the HDVR2 and we would get networking back?

This wouldnt give us the ability to get our own code executed but it would atleast kill the phone line requirement.

Fr3d
Old 01-18-2003, 07:36 PM   #117 (Print)
subuni
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by fr3d
Why wouldnt it? As I understand it the S2 SA's have the same processor architecure, use the same keys to sign the files, etc. If those statements are correct, we should be able to take whatever startup file(s) the S2 SA's ship with that effect starting the network (rc, and possibly replacing the appropriate b64 sig in the signature file ) and put them on the HDVR2 and we would get networking back?

This wouldnt give us the ability to get our own code executed but it would atleast kill the phone line requirement.

No, this wouldn't work. In the initrd, there are a list of files and their respective signatures (in a file named signatures in the initrd filesystem). During the filesystem scan, it checks to see if the file exists in this list, and if so if the signatures match. If either of those conditions are false, the file is removed (unless the file is inittab, rc.arch or rc.sysinit, in which case it's replaced with a "prestine" copy located in /fixes in the initrd filesystem).

On the S2/combo, there are a few files missing preventing a USB network adapter from working. First, you're missing /etc/rc.d/rc.net, which should call the function detectDynamicNet, which is responsible for "detecting" USB devices, and insmod'ing the appropriate drivers. And second, you're missing /sbin/dhclient, which is responsible for dhcp crud.

"Great, lets just copy those files over from a S2/sa". That would work, except your S2/combo doesn't have entries in the initrd signature file for /etc/rc.d/rc.net and /sbin/dhclient. So if you copy these files over, initrd will delete them and reboot.

"Great, lets just use the S2/sa kernel image, since it has support for these files". That would work, except that other more important files (i.e. tivoapp), their signatures differ. So if you try and use a S2/sa kernel image on your S2/combo unit, it'll delete a good portion of your file system, leaving you with a TiVo that'll never progress past a gray screen (i.e. "Welcome, Powering Up").
subuni is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2003, 11:27 PM   #118 (Print)
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

Question:
What command would I enter on the tivo itself to change to bootpage to disable software upgrades?

Thanks
Mike

Old 01-19-2003, 12:37 AM   #119 (Print)
fr3d
Fr3d is Me

Quote:
Originally posted by subuni
No, this wouldn't work. In the initrd, there are a list of files and their respective signatures (in a file named signatures in the initrd filesystem). During the filesystem scan, it checks to see if the file exists in this list, and if so if the signatures match. If either of those conditions are false, the file is removed (unless the file is inittab, rc.arch or rc.sysinit, in which case it's replaced with a "prestine" copy located in /fixes in the initrd filesystem).

On the S2/combo, there are a few files missing preventing a USB network adapter from working. First, you're missing /etc/rc.d/rc.net, which should call the function detectDynamicNet, which is responsible for "detecting" USB devices, and insmod'ing the appropriate drivers. And second, you're missing /sbin/dhclient, which is responsible for dhcp crud.

"Great, lets just copy those files over from a S2/sa". That would work, except your S2/combo doesn't have entries in the initrd signature file for /etc/rc.d/rc.net and /sbin/dhclient. So if you copy these files over, initrd will delete them and reboot.

"Great, lets just use the S2/sa kernel image, since it has support for these files". That would work, except that other more important files (i.e. tivoapp), their signatures differ. So if you try and use a S2/sa kernel image on your S2/combo unit, it'll delete a good portion of your file system, leaving you with a TiVo that'll never progress past a gray screen (i.e. "Welcome, Powering Up").

Does signatures contain a list of hashes or a list of encrypted hashes (eg signatures) if it is the encrypted hash couldnt the signature file from the combo unit just be updated to reflect the new binaries from the SA?

If thats not the case, e.g signatures just has hashes and the kernel has a built in signature of the appropriate signature file then I suppose your right.

Fr3d
Old 01-19-2003, 09:25 PM   #120 (Print)
billk

what happens to units the upgrade to 3.2

Sorry if this sound a little slow. I have read this thread and am trying to understand a little more about 3.1 hdvr2's that have been ethernet enabled. It sounds like they then download 3.2 software, but that's been booby trapped to disable the ethernet. Are the units still useable in their tivo capacity? For how long, if so.
I ask because I have a fresh hdvr2. I have no phone line so it's never been updated. I have installed a larger drive as per Ingineers post and saved the barely used maxtor it came with. The only thing it can do is watch direvtv and pause live tv. I can't get it to connect with vonage for the test call, so no recording capability. I'm just wondering what I can do to enable more tivo capability. If I get it to ethernet capability will it work for at least a while, or does that 3.2 upgrade take it out immediately?
Bill
billk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post