July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #1 (Print)
Barry Basiliere
Retired & Loving It

Note TiVo-To-Go 7x Software Upgrade

I have been a TiVo customer since 1999 and I LOVE my TiVo's. I don't know how I lived without them. With that said I would like to suggest to the TiVo programmers and customer support folks that the software upgrade necessary to utilize TiVo-To-Go should be scheduled based on customer profile as opposed to priority from a web submission. I think that customers that have been with TiVo from the start, that have paid for features that are now either free or discounted and have helped fund (from these payments) the development costs over the years should be updated first. Let the new guys wait.

All Networked
Barry Basiliere is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-03-2005, 11:04 PM   #2 (Print)
Calphool

Wrong. Just because you're an early adopter doesn't give you special privileges--it's no different than stock ownership chief. We're all paying customers, we're all equals. Maybe you deserve a Christmas card or something, but nothing more.

What I would suggest however is that the Tivo developers consider implementing a selection dialog for the tivo software version. That way, they can release the new tivo software as soon as it's finished (maybe even before), but allow individuals to decide if and when they want to upgrade. Ma and Pa Kettle out there will probably stick with version 4.x forever, and that's fine for them, but those of us on the bleeding edge want the ability to run beta and alpha code man! Stop making us wait for weeks and weeks! Also, give us a selection dialog at bootup time that would allow us to downgrade if something goes haywire with a beta release.

It seems odd that a product born out of the open source ethos would be so closed in how it releases code. Most open source projects have a complete history of code available for download, including alpha and beta code. You pick your poison and live with the consequences.... not sure why the same doesn't apply here. I mean, even though it's a consumer appliance, and Tivo's probably a little scared about letting people run beta code, as long as you give us a way to get back to Kansas, what difference does it make? I mean, if you're really worried about it, make it so you have to key a secret code to get to the beta stuff or something. The bottom line is that upgrades to this thing should be modelled after web based software distribution--as soon as it's available, let me download it.

Eventually Tivo (I hate to break it to you), you're going to be competing with a completely open source DVR that installs just as easily as Tivo, has complete schedule coverage just like you do, has some form of P2P built in, and plays games too. You can bet your balance sheet that it will be releasing updates faster than T2G is rolling out. You might as well get ready for it, and work out the kinks now. You're going to have to compete on more than install base in the not too distant future.

Heck, I'll even sign a waiver letting you off the hook if it electrocutes my children, sets my house on fire, runs off with my wife, and gives me constipation--just give me the bits as soon as they're runnable!!!

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Last edited by Calphool : 02-03-2005 at 11:14 PM.
Calphool is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-05-2005, 11:28 PM   #3 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

TiVo isn't open sources, at least the core app code (the OS bits may be).
It is purely buisness and support issues why the upgrade is taking so long.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-16-2005, 12:17 PM   #4 (Print)
Barry Basiliere
Retired & Loving It

Got version 7 on my second unit on 2/14/05, ordered it on 1/6/05

All Networked
Old 02-16-2005, 12:21 PM   #5 (Print)
Barry Basiliere
Retired & Loving It

Got version 7 on my third unit on 2/15/05, ordered it on 1/27/05. I am still waiting for the update on one unit that was ordered on 1/6/05. Go figure.

All Networked
Old 02-16-2005, 12:25 PM   #6 (Print)
Barry Basiliere
Retired & Loving It

Got the version 7 update on the 4th unit on 2/17/05, ordered on 1/6/05.

All Networked
Old 02-17-2005, 01:53 PM   #7 (Print)
djtravis

Got the V7 update on the 1st unit on 2-16-05, never ordered it! Works great.