TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

View Poll Results: How Important is This to You?
It's so important that I'd pay extra for it. 137 19.19%
It's important but I wouldn't pay extra for it. 405 56.72%
Not important, but I'd probably use it if it was free. 104 14.57%
I'd probably never use it one way or the other. 68 9.52%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 11-13-2003, 08:37 AM   #91 (Print)
lvirden

Send a message via AIM to lvirden Send a message via Yahoo to lvirden
1. the panasonic model I saw was a 40 hr model
2. list price of comperable model was $199 vs $699 for the dvd recorder/tivo
BestBuy has a great deal right now though.

an 80 hr Tivo/DVD recorder for $450 ! Considering that the tivo list price for 80 hrs is $299,
that's a great deal. Wish bestbuy had been running this deal last month when I was buying!

1 TiVo Series 2 StandAlone, 40 hr, upgraded to 2 160 gig Maxtor drives

Even if explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should be construed as representing my employer's opinions.
lvirden is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2003, 09:33 AM   #92 (Print)
accountholder

THE REAL ISSUE

The activity on this thread attests to consumer demand for this feature, naysayers aside. Even so, questions regarding its necessity deserve a hearing. I believe the answer is obvious, although I didn't find it articulated in this thread: TIVO IS UNUSABLE DURING OFFLOADING !!!!

Regardless of whether my destination is VCR or DVD, I can't interrupt TiVo or watch other programming during offloading. That implies that I must schedule my offloads at night, when I'm not viewing TiVo. At my weariest moment, my diligence shouldn't be tested by forcing one recording per evening. In truth, I never get around to it, and my TiVo fills to the breaking point.

ANOTHER SOLUTION

If TiVo has a problem implementing batch jobs, at least they might consider a Save To VCR option that didn't disable viewing. Home media option suggests the capability of background offloads. Processing power currently exists to transfer data transparently in the background. One could hope that enough cycles are available to actually decode and output a separate signal to an unused video port.

Just let us use our TiVos while we offload and much of this customer dissatisfaction may go away. If you don't resolve this issue in one manner or another, the pacrats among your customer base will disappear when the opportunity permits!
accountholder is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2003, 09:42 AM   #93 (Print)
BrettStah

Current Tivos don't have discrete audio/video output abilities via the various output jacks. The Series2 standalones do have a way of transferring the file over a LAN (via the HMO feature set), but that is not relevant when it comes to outputting via the RCA, S-Video, or RF outputs.

It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye.
BrettStah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2003, 01:41 PM   #94 (Print)
accountholder

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that the ports were internally inseparable. I only mentioned the HMO because it indicates that the unit has the extra processing power to handle other tasks while going about its main duties. The only other option that springs to mind is to bring the signal out through USB with an external video adapter.

In any case, my irritation that TiVo is sidelined while offloading remains. Any method of overcoming this deadtime would be an improvement.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:53 AM   #95 (Print)
RichT

Quote:
Originally posted by accountholder
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that the ports were internally inseparable. I only mentioned the HMO because it indicates that the unit has the extra processing power to handle other tasks while going about its main duties. The only other option that springs to mind is to bring the signal out through USB with an external video adapter.

In any case, my irritation that TiVo is sidelined while offloading remains. Any method of overcoming this deadtime would be an improvement.

I haven't tried this in awhile, so my memory might not serve me well. But I thought it was possible to watch something you've recorded while Tivo records another currently broadcast show. While this is not exactly what you're looking for, it's close: when you get home, record to tape, and even if something else is on at the time, it will get saved (provided you have space, of course). The trick is not to say "Save to VCR" but instead just watch the recorded show normally and hit the record buttonon the VCR when it starts (which is exactly what you do when you say "Save to VCR" isn't it?

So the Tivo isn't *completely* sidelined, it can still record for you. You just can't watch something other than what is being moved to tape. if batch save were available, it wouldn't tsake Tivo any further off the sidelines than this, except to the extent that you could have it do more while *you* are sidelined.

I still think a solution is possible with no help from Tivo and no hacking of the software: program an IR to send the signals to the Tivo at the proper intervals. If there is such great demand for this feature, there's a nice bit of money to made by an enterprising programmer. What would people be willing to pay for this?
RichT is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2003, 09:55 AM   #96 (Print)
BrettStah

Tivos can and do record even if you use the Save to VCR feature.

It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye.
BrettStah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2003, 05:44 PM   #97 (Print)
breid

My .02

Everything's been said, but I'll toss in my vote for good measure.

Who uses tape? I do. I'm shelving about 400 now with no plans to replace them until DVD is as cheap. DVD looks great in my system, but I just don't need it for everything. I don't need it for kid's shows dumped to tape to watch in their room. I don't need it for run of the mill movies I dump to tape.

But the jukebox play would be a godsend. During HBO/Max free preview, I snagged about 25 movies I haven't rented. Since I have a lowly 35 hr model, I spent about half my nights getting up every 2 hrs to stop and switch.
breid is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2003, 06:04 PM   #98 (Print)
RichT

Re: My .02

Quote:
Originally posted by breid
Everything's been said, but I'll toss in my vote for good measure.

Who uses tape? I do. I'm shelving about 400 now with no plans to replace them until DVD is as cheap. DVD looks great in my system, but I just don't need it for everything. I don't need it for kid's shows dumped to tape to watch in their room. I don't need it for run of the mill movies I dump to tape.

But the jukebox play would be a godsend. During HBO/Max free preview, I snagged about 25 movies I haven't rented. Since I have a lowly 35 hr model, I spent about half my nights getting up every 2 hrs to stop and switch.

Wouldn't it have been easier to set your VCR to tape all the movies in the middle of the night? Batch save is needed to get stuff off of Tivo, but you don't need to put it on Tivo in the first place.

This would require programming the cable box to change channels, and programming the VCR to record at different times, which is a little extra work, but it gets you a full night's sleep (not counting the kids...).
RichT is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2003, 05:50 PM   #99 (Print)
JasonD

I would love the batch save to VCR. Currently my wife is filling up the TIVO with Dr. Phils. Please TIVO give us the save to VCR feature. It truly would be a stong selling point.

Jason
JasonD is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-22-2004, 05:36 PM   #100 (Print)
breid

?

I don't have cable. I'm 100% DTV. The VCR can't change DTV channels.

It's just not that difficult.

I don't buy the "UI" problems BS, either. They have a working UI in the season pass manager. Just add an "Add to Playlist" on the recording info screen with the other options, then a "Playlist" menu on the first page. Inside that, use the Season Pass manager controls to put things in order.

Not that big a paradigm shift.
breid is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-24-2004, 10:11 AM   #101 (Print)
scifiguy
ThisIsYurBrainOnTivo

Batch save available

The new Pioneer DVD model allows you to do batch saves to DVD. It lists all the programs you've got ALPHABETICALLY and then lets you click off the order of any shows you want to save. Last night, I saved about 10 shows (all at least a half-hour) and the whole process only took an hour. In the meantime, all the other Tivo functions were working just fine...
scifiguy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-30-2004, 03:10 PM   #102 (Print)
drsql

Quote:
Wouldn't it have been easier to set your VCR to tape all the movies in the middle of the night? Batch save is needed to get stuff off of Tivo, but you don't need to put it on Tivo in the first place.

My VCR only holds 8 hours of programs at a time, max. My Tivo, 80 (really 40ish, if you want to get nitpicky I used it to record a marathon of a show, and now I want to archive this off for use in other parts of my house.

The other use is to make tapes for use when I am not at my house. When I go on a trip I like to take reasonable entertainment with me. I would like to build a tape to take along. It is just really hard to do when you have to change programs every 30-60 minutes.

Louis

Old 02-22-2004, 03:29 PM   #103 (Print)
accountholder

One can argue ad nauseum in a vain attempt to dissuade users from requesting this feature. Time and hopeless silence from TiVo have not been able to mute this well established call to TiVo developers.

The length of this unanswered thread stands in open contradiction to customer service. Speak, TiVo. You owe your loyal customers a response, whether you must hedge with carefully chosen legalese or can answer definitively.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:59 PM   #104 (Print)
ccwf
国際化 Member

Send a message via AIM to ccwf
Quote:
Originally posted by zidge7
There is a way to do this but it requires a special remote and some work!I have done this! My sony remote commander has macro functions where it will do several things in a row as well as a timer feature Basicly i set the macro to start my tivo at several different times and set up several different timers on my dvd recorder!One time i did it with 4 movies at 1:30 each as i use the max time on my disks. It came out well!
Quote:
Originally posted by zidge7
The macros are fairly simple! If all the movies are in a row in your now playing that is! 1st movie: menu,menu,play ( if your remote has a start and a stop time set the times appropriate for the movie my Sony has a start only) 2nd movie menu,menu, down,play etc. for movie 3 or 4!(movie 3 is down,down etc.( If you have stuff in between your movies or if you want lower movies before uppers use up instead of down or count how many downs you need!)
Thanks for the info, zidge7. Additionally, as I first wrote nearly a year ago, the same should be possible using the timers for the OmniRemote software for Palm PDAs, which lets a Palm PDA send remote control signals to TiVo at defined times.
ccwf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-11-2004, 06:20 PM   #105 (Print)
SpaceAce69

Having a "playlist" for playback would be great! I was just thinking of this today and ta-da it has already been suggested. I would love to see this feature in the future.

Thanks!
SpaceAce69
SpaceAce69 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-27-2004, 10:06 PM   #106 (Print)
hipster

Is there a possiblility of this being part of Tivo-To-Go when it becomes live? I would think they would have announced already if that was the plan..hmmmm, has this been talked-about already and I missed it?
hipster is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-03-2004, 02:03 AM   #107 (Print)
Jasoco

I turn on my TV every day and see titles in my Now Playing with numbers by them. I look inside and see I have 4 episodes of Home Improvement waiting. Or 2 episodes of Star Trek, etc. I usually sit and watch all of them right then and there. I would love if it could just play them all seamlessly one after another. (In order of date of course. Which would mean reverse listed order.)

So in short, I would love to be able to play all shows in a row with no "Would you like to delete?" popup. Just play them with no interruption. In fact, I would just die if this option showed up one day.

Heck, how about a way to make a list of any of your recorded shows with a way to move them around then play them all in order. Set up your whole afternoon at once.
Jasoco is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2005, 04:00 PM   #108 (Print)
dadonnelly1961

Location: I live time-shifted at least 30 minutes into the past in Gilroy, CA aka 'Garlic City', "The Garlic Capitol of the World", & "...that place on 101 with that smell..."
Send a message via AIM to dadonnelly1961 Send a message via Yahoo to dadonnelly1961
The 'Playlist' feature would be nice but would you really want it for recording? I know that the broadcasters don't like seeing/hearing this but when I dump from my TiVo to DVD I pause the recording so that I can skip the commercials. Most, if not all, of the DVD recording software/firmware isn't 'smart' enough to see the 3-5 second black-screen pauses in the video stream as the demarcation of commercials. (BTW, VHS is DEAD - you probably missed the funeral because it was distributed on DiVX.) TiVo has committed itself, as a company, to the broadcasters to NOT implement any software solution that is a true 'commercial skip' feature. I believe that this is a contractual obligation and therefore is not likely to become an official feature anytime in the near future. Similarly, since all of the major broadcast companies are owned by parent companies that manufacture DVD recorders/players and are members of the various DVD recordable consortiums (which is why there is yet to be a single universal standard) it is not likely that this feature will be implemented in the recorder's firmware or in (most, commercially available) DVD recording software. So, it seems to me that the ability to have a playlist feature for archival purposes is somewhat dubious.
However, it seems that this thread has really evolved (devolved?) into several suggestions:
1) Playlist features for live playback (where the remote control would still enable us to FF through stuff that we don't want to watch, i.e. commercials.)
2) A Batch Archive feature that would support playback of multiple shows with a minimum of user interaction. This feature should also include a 'run in the background' option.
3) A feature that would allow us to control the signal source for the variety of output connections on the back of the box(es). e.g. Output 1 = All, Output 2 = Recorder playback + Tuner 1, RF = Tuner 2, USB1 = Recorder playback only, USB2 = TiVo communication (pre-supposing that DTV will implement broadband/internet support. Of course, we are feeping alive the hope that they will also implement HMO and TiVo2Go, too. Assuming that T2Go is implemented, I hope that they provide 'plug-ins' for the new generation of iPod-type devices that have video capabilities...)
I would like to add a 4th: I would love to see Firewire connectivity on future series boxes.

-----------------------------------
"Specialization is for Insects."
Robert A. Heinlein
dadonnelly1961 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-28-2005, 07:10 PM   #109 (Print)
elldawg

This is a no brainer

Tivo, just get it done. It's a real pain to keep selecting shows for my daughter to watch.
elldawg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-31-2005, 01:35 PM   #110 (Print)
tivoschro

Why hasn't "Playlist" been implemented yet?
tivoschro is offline Report Bad Post Report Post