Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2005, 04:25 PM   #1 (Print)
sruegnit

HR10-250 Outputs

I have a DirectTV HD DVR Model HR10-250. The main output feeds an entertainment system just fine but I would like to use the A/V output to feed the input of a ChannelPlus RF modulator so that I can feed this signal to TV's in the home that don't have a satellite receiver. It seems that there is nothing coming out of the A/V output.

Suggestions?
sruegnit is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 04:34 PM   #2 (Print)
Guindalf
Master Of My Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sruegnit
I have a DirectTV HD DVR Model HR10-250. The main output feeds an entertainment system just fine but I would like to use the A/V output to feed the input of a ChannelPlus RF modulator so that I can feed this signal to TV's in the home that don't have a satellite receiver. It seems that there is nothing coming out of the A/V output.

Suggestions?

You don't say what the "main" output is, but my guess is it is either HDMI or component. That will be all you get unless the unit is in 480i mode, so that's why nothing else is being output.

NE Georgia Motorcycling? Visit foothillsmc.com
Guindalf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 04:43 PM   #3 (Print)
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Send a message via AIM to litzdog911
The SVideo and composite video outputs are "dark" unless the HR10-250 is set to output 480i resolution.

Sony SAT-A4, B4 Receivers
Sony KV-40XBR800 HDTV
litzdog911 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 09:27 PM   #4 (Print)
flmgrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sruegnit

Suggestions?

yes... why don't you NOT feed HD content in the worst possible way ? there is a reason the 10-250 does not have coax outputs anymore...

is there no way for you to run cables to the other TV's ?
flmgrip is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 11:44 PM   #5 (Print)
jautor
Also wants a pony

Well, here, let me try to be helpful...

The HR10-250 doesn't support *simultaneous* output at *both* SD and HD resolutions. So while you've got the unit set to output at 720p/1080i, the composite/s-video outputs will be dark.

But if you're trying to accomplish what I think you are, it can be done with only minor tweaks. While you're watching on the "main" outputs, you won't be able to watch on the modulated output, unless you switch the output resolution to 480i. If your main TV can handle 480i on its HDMI/DVI/Component input, then at least you'll still get an image (although not HD quality).

In the other rooms, assuming you have a remote control repeater set up through the ChannelPlus (or via some other means), you can toggle the HR10-250's output resolution by pressing up-arrow twice. Oh, you'll want to go through the setup menu to disable 480p and either 1080i/720p (whichever you don't use) as valid output resolutions. This will leave just 480i and one HD resolution, which makes the up-arrow-twice shortcut into a nice toggle.

So the procedure in the other rooms will be to change to the modulator channel, see static, press up-arrow twice, and then get the signal shown in 480i. When finished (or when you're back in the main room), press up-arrow twice again to get back to HD resolution...

Works very well to view the contents of the HR10-250 in other rooms, on non-HD equipment...

Jeff
jautor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 05:11 PM   #6 (Print)
Vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor

So the procedure in the other rooms will be to change to the modulator channel, see static, press up-arrow twice, and then get the signal shown in 480i. When finished (or when you're back in the main room), press up-arrow twice again to get back to HD resolution...

Works very well to view the contents of the HR10-250 in other rooms, on non-HD equipment...

Jeff

Jeff, I agree with everything you've said and I do exactly as you've described but I have one thing to add for the OP's benefit: being that my main set is a widescreen (16:9) and the remote TV in the bedroom is standard 4:3 aspect ratio, it's also necessary to change the output of the HR10-250 accordingly.

Old 12-30-2005, 05:00 PM   #7 (Print)
jautor
Also wants a pony

Yeah, I leave the TiVo in "Full" mode (stretch) for SD material, so even with it set to 16:9, most material comes out fine. Exception is 4:3 material on HD or OTA stations, which doesn't bother me (I watch that so infrequently)...

Jeff
jautor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post