Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2005, 07:45 AM   #31 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Definitely sounds like a hard drive job.

Replacing it is nowhere near as hard as it sounds when you just read the descriptions.

Bascically you download and burn a CD from the net to boot your PC from. You take the drive out of the TiVo and attach it and the new drive to your PC (removing your normal PC drive). Restart the PC to boot from the CD, type a single line command (which you can just slavishly copy from post here,), and wait. Put new disk back; done.

Gets more complicated if your disk is too far gone to use as a source - you then have to get hold on an image froma freindly forum member and use a slightly different command.

But really, its not as hard as it looks.

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-18-2005, 09:45 AM   #32 (Print)
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

You will also need to use a LBA48-aware version of the MFSTools CD and run copykern if your new drive is > 137GB and you wish to utilise the full capacity - but again, it's not that hard

As always, the cheapest option is to DIY, but if you're really not up for DIY or don't have the time, then the better vendors of pre-configured drives will also copy your data (assuming your drive isn't too far gone) for a small extra fee

Last edited by blindlemon : 11-18-2005 at 09:53 AM.
blindlemon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-20-2005, 02:20 PM   #33 (Print)
DaddyR

On Saturday morning TiVo appeared to be OK. So I took advantage of finding out the OS details (2.5.5a) and checked to see if any of the shows recorded were essential to keep (no).

I then ran the the 57 and 58 kickstarts. 57 was OK, but 58 got stuck on a Power Up loop.

With a daughter who gets increasingly upset about missing various CBeebies shows and a wife who is frustrated about missing her soaps I decided to invest in a TiVo formatted drive, but before ordering one thought I ought to look inside the beast.

So I bit the bullet and opened it up. Now I bought the TiVo from a friend who emigrated to San Francisco. I didn't think that he had many any changes to it but when I took it apart I saw this:

[Can't post images yet] - I'll happily email you a link to the inards of the machine.

Two hard drives. I've marked them as Centre and Outer. The Centre one is 15GB and the Outer one is 30GB.

Now this sounds like a real n00b question, but is this machine modded? And based upon all my problems, which of the hard drives should I replace? Or do I just do both?

Why is everything more complicated than it should be?
DaddyR is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-20-2005, 02:32 PM   #34 (Print)
mike0151
A Friend of Dot

Send a message via MSN to mike0151
Don't worry, the early TiVos came with 2 hard drives exactly as you have described. This simply means that if you want to upgrade it with 2 new bigger drives, you already have the 2nd mounting bracket.

IIRC the 30GB is the 'A' drive and the 15GB is the 'B' drive. You can happily upgrade to a single larger disk which would reduce the likelihood of disk failure.

All info needed for DIY is in the Hinsdale guide linked (I believe) in the sticky at the top of the forum. Alternatively there are some forum members who sell preinstalled larger disks on e-bay or their own websites which simply require taking out your disks and installing the new one(s). Presumably you'd then need to run guided setup.

HTH

Mike

Old 11-22-2005, 06:00 PM   #35 (Print)
DaddyR

Thanks for all the help and advice. Just ordered a drive from vkh2k1 on eBay. Fingers crossed that fitting it as easy as you all say
Old 11-22-2005, 06:04 PM   #36 (Print)
6022tivo
A Happy Member

Just noticed, you have 2.5.5a from a old post.

If you have ordered a drive with the LBA kernal enabled(i.e over 137GB).

When your tivo first dials in, it will upgrade to 2.5.5a causing the old kernal to be used, resulting in cocked up recordings.

I hope if you have ordered a large drive, you have told him/her on ebay that you want a 2.5.5a drive??

Pioneer 505XDE
6022tivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2005, 09:10 AM   #37 (Print)
DaddyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6022tivo
Just noticed, you have 2.5.5a from a old post.

If you have ordered a drive with the LBA kernal enabled(i.e over 137GB).

When your tivo first dials in, it will upgrade to 2.5.5a causing the old kernal to be used, resulting in cocked up recordings.

I hope if you have ordered a large drive, you have told him/her on ebay that you want a 2.5.5a drive??

Sorry for the bumped post (and not for replying to 6022tivo) but everything went perfectly. I got a pre-formatted 200GB disk (and told the seller it was 2.5.5a) for not a lot more then I could have bought a new one from eBuyer, a good set of instructions and a free screwdriver! Whipped the old drives out and whacked the new one in and Bob's your uncle. I'm really pleased with how easy the whole thing is.

Final question (for now ) - can I just reformat the two drives I removed and keep them as spares for my PC?
Old 12-12-2005, 09:22 AM   #38 (Print)
cwaring

Send a message via MSN to cwaring
Pretty-much, yeah. You may have to QUNLOCK (forum search ) them first but after that you should have no problem running FDISK or whatever to partition/format them as needed.

Telewest Active Digital with Pace 2000 STB
Now with added Tivoweb!
Tivo TV Ads & PDF Manuals
cwaring is offline Report Bad Post Report Post