Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2005, 07:04 AM   #1 (Print)
jollyrog

Angry Strange networking fault

Both my upgraded machines were on their last drive legs, so it was time for an upgrade. A couple of 250 gig Samsungs later...

While I was at it, I took the opportunity to move from Turbonet to Cachecard on both Tivos.

The Turbonet cards have been in there for three years, working perfectly on a Netgear hub. Unfortunately, one of the Cachecards isn't happy on the hub and I can't work out why!

If the Tivo in question (Tivo2 - 192.168.0.202) is connected to my network via the hub, it's visible to the network for about 10 seconds after the hub is powered up. It responds to ping and if I'm quick, I can view a page or two in Tivoweb. Then, it appears to be dead to the network. No response to the ping, no ftp, no telnet, no Tivoweb. Nothing. It seems to work fine if accessed the old fashioned way, via the remote control and the telly.

If I take Tivo2 off the hub and connect it directly to the rest of my home network, which is on a Netgear unmanaged switch, it behaves as normal.

During all of this, Tivo1 (192.168.0.201) sits happily on the hub and does all the things you'd expect it to.

Both Tivos are using the same drive image and configuration. My old drives were so sick, I was only able to take an image from Tivo2. After taking the image, I placed it in one of the Tivos, cleared thumbs, season passes, guide data and repeated guided setup. I then took another image of this "clean" state, restored it to both Tivos then restored season passes from a Tivoweb backup.

On Tivo2, I changed the Tivo name in tivoweb.cfg, the IP address and the MAC address.

Any ideas as to the cause of this network fault would be appreciated. I really need to get both machines back on the hub.

Roger
jollyrog is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 07:32 AM   #2 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

You don't mention installing the Cachecard drivers?

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 07:48 AM   #3 (Print)
jollyrog

I should have mentioned installing the Cachecard drivers...

Yes, I did that, set the IPs and MAC addresses of the TiVos at that stage. Both machines boot as expected with no errors at the Silicondust Cachecard splash/boot screens.

Roger
Old 12-27-2005, 10:42 AM   #4 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Well, hubs are considered very old hat these days, so I'd look at that first.

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 10:50 AM   #5 (Print)
...coolstream

Just a thought, but have you tried setting the the final part of the IP address to less than 200?
...coolstream is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 11:29 AM   #6 (Print)
jollyrog

I hadn't considered that, but I'm interested. What would be the reason?

The IP addresses I'm using are those that worked for the last three years, on the same hub but with Turbonet cards.

Thanks.

Roger
Old 12-27-2005, 10:15 PM   #7 (Print)
...coolstream

I cannot think of the exact reason but have always configured my dhcp server to issue addresses from 192.168.x.2-1923.168.x.200 range.
I found a post on my firewall support site that kind of points to a similar reasoning...

Well I figured the easiest way for everyone to get on the same playing field was to use the settings his laptop gets.
Since of course IF it's DHCP, some routers start assigning at .100, and allow static IPs in the .2-.99 range and others don't.

I know the standard allows for 1-255, but just cannot think of the exact reason that I have always missed out the last 55 addresses from the range. Maybe the cachecard prefers something in the midrange.

The best I can say is that I have just installed one myself and gave it a .111 address and it worked first time with no problems.

Sorry I can't be any more enlightening
Old 12-28-2005, 04:25 AM   #8 (Print)
Paul Stimpson

Hi,

Is there a way to change the MAC address of the cachecard? I've got a nagging thought in my head that all chchecards have the same MAC address by default. If you plug two devices with the same MAC into a network you will confuse the hell out of your switches and the communications involving one or both of those devices will probably go tits up.

Cheers,
Paul.
Paul Stimpson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 05:01 AM   #9 (Print)
Rob Nespor Bellis
Grumpy Sod

I would lean towards the duplicate MAC address too. Yes it can be changed - in the earlier drivers the MAC was set to the same number on all cards, in the latest drivers this behaviour has changed and each CacheCARD should get a unique MAC address by default.

Have you tried:

Disconnect the working TiVo from the network ( just pull that cable out ) and then connecting the non-working TiVo to the network and seeing if it stays up?

If it does stay up it really does point to a duplicate MAC address.

Rgds,

R.
Rob Nespor Bellis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 05:18 AM   #10 (Print)
jollyrog

Again, thanks for the suggestions, but I'm sure it's not the MAC address. I made a point of setting the two units with different addresses, then changing both addresses again (just to be sure) when I encountered the problem.

The "faulty" unit still fails to communicate when it's the only device on the hub, as well as when the other Tivo is removed from the network.

Roger
Old 12-28-2005, 05:55 AM   #11 (Print)
Rob Nespor Bellis
Grumpy Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyrog
Again, thanks for the suggestions, but I'm sure it's not the MAC address. I made a point of setting the two units with different addresses, then changing both addresses again (just to be sure) when I encountered the problem.

The "faulty" unit still fails to communicate when it's the only device on the hub, as well as when the other Tivo is removed from the network.

Roger

Have you eliminated it being a faulty card - have you swapped the CacheCARDS between TiVi to see if you are getting the same problem?

Rgds,

R.
Rob Nespor Bellis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 07:15 AM   #12 (Print)
...coolstream

Is there anything in your firewall / hub software that relates specifically to airnet that might have been configured differently for one 'old machine' than the other?

I know that on my KiSS which can use airnet as opposed to wired which I am using, dhcp should be configured differently.

Also, if you are going to be switching cards, keep the lid off and observe the LEDs when the machine is powered on and then hooked up to the hub.

>sanderton, hubs may be old hat, but isn't wired more reliable for data streams?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:27 AM   #13 (Print)
LJ

Is there anything useful in the TiVo logs?