Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2005, 10:59 AM   #1 (Print)
joejubee

Angry I'm on my 4th Humax Unit!!!

Well, this sucks. I have now gone through 4 Humax 80 gig DVD burner units. It'll work for a day to a week, and then it either gets locked at the welcome screen, or at the updating software screen.

I call humax, they send me a new unit, and we start all over.

If I could have done it again, I'd get a unit from my cable company instead of paying myself.

Bad hard drive my butt- one, sure. two, possibly. three, doubtful. four...ehhh...

I connect via phone line for the initial setup, then hardwired usb ethernet.

Really frustrating.

My fear is that this will continue until my 1 year warranty expires and then they'll say "Sucks to be you" and flip me the bird.
joejubee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 11:05 AM   #2 (Print)
Stainless Steele
Wake-Maker!

Send a message via AIM to Stainless Steele
WOW...you seems to be cursed! Sorry to hear about all your trouble!! Hope the 4th time is the charm!

Tivo Series 2 40hrs w/HMO Lifetime (paid for HMO)
Phillips PTV300 60hrs Lifetime Turbonet (My first!! Bought it the day it came out! Will always hold a special place in my heart!) My brother is currently using this!
JavaHMO Rocks!!!!
Gateway MCE PC 901XL 200gb P4 3g
Stainless Steele is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-18-2005, 09:46 AM   #3 (Print)
TiVoEvan74

agreed... wish you luck. Our Humax DRT800 works like a charm! That doesn't help you, I know, but at least it means you could get a good one--eventually!
TiVoEvan74 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-28-2005, 11:33 PM   #4 (Print)
cherylzyx
happy to be here :)

I'm here researching the very same problem for my sister. She has had a lousy time with Humax customer service and trying to get a working unit.

Does anyone have any suggestions? She has the Humax 80 hr DVD burner and Lifetime service. Any way she could get her money back from TiVo for her Humax unit and transfer the Lifetime to a new unit (NOT a Humax)?

She did not get what she paid for. The stupid thing worked for 4 months and it has now been over a month just trying to get Humax to send her another one. They keep lying to her. They have told her on 3 of the 6 calls that she's made that the new (uh, refurbished) unit has shipped. She called again today after a month of nothing showing up and the woman told her it would ship tomorrow.

If it weren't for the Lifetime service, she would just return the darn thing and insist on a full refund. As it is now, even if the refurbished unit they send her works, she still paid for a new one and got a used one.

This is very frustrating.
cherylzyx is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 06:42 AM   #5 (Print)
TiVoEvan74

If the unit doesn't arrive soon, escalate the effort. When you call, immediately ask to speak to a supervisor. Call back an hour later, if you don't like the response-- you will probably get someone else and that person could be more helpful. Send a registered letter to customer service (or even better a high VP or President). Send an e-mai detailing what occured along with a specific request for a full refund!

Do NOT wait a month between responses, but rather follow up in a few days. And definitely mention that you will turning over the case to the Better Business Bureau, your state's consumer protection unit, and contacting a lawyer. A multi-prong approach should get you action. Yes, it is a hassle and time-consuming and you shouldn't have to do it, but alas, it's sometimes what is needed.

Contact TiVo simultaneously, in writing, explaining the sit. and requesting the transfer to a new unit.

Good luck!
Old 11-29-2005, 07:26 AM   #6 (Print)
jedinc
jedinc

It sounds as though the HUMAX machines may have intermittent problems. What I mean is that when the technician puts the unit on the bench it appears to function properly so he puts it in the out tray, and goes onto the next unit. The bad unit gets shipped out. I went through 5 cable boxes on time before I finally got a technical supervisor to talk to me. They need to set-up a system for recording the specific problems with each serial number. Paying particular attention to time delayed, or heat related problems. It requires time & effort on the part of the service personnel, but it can be done - with the result of having happier customers.
jedinc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 09:50 AM   #7 (Print)
danieljanderson
Proud to preach TiVo

They have 24 hour support.
Call in the middle of the night (3:00AM). You will get someone lonely and willing to talk. This may go a long way to getting this resolved.
danieljanderson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 11:29 PM   #8 (Print)
Edward Owen

Send a message via AIM to Edward Owen Send a message via MSN to Edward Owen
I will soon be on my third unit. My first lasted five months before the burner went out. Last week, after a little less than six months, the hard drive locked up on my Humax.

On the first one, I received courteous, prompt service and shipping on the replacement unit.

Although I haven't received my replacement yet, the csr a couple of days ago was great and offered a new unit immediately.

It's pretty frustrating, but as long as they keep breaking under warranty I can live with it.
Edward Owen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2005, 12:26 PM   #9 (Print)
Edward Owen

And now a follow up from my LAST post, a week ago.

I was quick to jump on here and state that my previous experience with Humax customer support had been good.

Lo and behold, one week after they told me my unit would BE here, I call this morning and find that it hasn't even shipped yet. They gave me some song and dance that the warehouse was waiting for "authorization" to ship.

Bull-hockey.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:47 PM   #10 (Print)
aizjanika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Owen
And now a follow up from my LAST post, a week ago.

I was quick to jump on here and state that my previous experience with Humax customer support had been good.

Lo and behold, one week after they told me my unit would BE here, I call this morning and find that it hasn't even shipped yet. They gave me some song and dance that the warehouse was waiting for "authorization" to ship.

Bull-hockey.

This doesn't bode well for me, then. We just called on Monday and they said the new unit would be here in 5 - 7 business days. I gave them my credit card # so they'd ship it right away, so I still have use of this one in the meantime. The hard drive still works.

OTOH, aside from watching the shows, it doesn't do me much good if I keep recording on this old unit when I won't be able to burn those shows to DVD. As I mentioned in the other thread, the Humax guy on the phone suggested that we transfer the files to the computer, then transfer them back to burn to DVD, but I've since learned (here) that's not possible. :-(
aizjanika is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #11 (Print)
Edward Owen

Actually, you may be ok. When I got my replacement unit in the summer, they took my credit card number as well, and I quickly got my replacement unit.

Last week, they told me since I'd been through that in the summer, they didn't NEED my credit card number. Today when I called, I was told that is NOT the proper procedure, and that if it fails more than three weeks after you get a replacement unit then you are supposed to provide them with this information again.

She told me THIS was why the warehouse hadn't shipped my unit. The "authorization" hadn't showed up.

The CSR this morning said they would honor what the previous rep had said, even though it wasn't correct procedure. So today, my 5-7 days starts all over!

Bullhockey (yet again)
Old 12-07-2005, 05:57 PM   #12 (Print)
aizjanika

Quote:
She told me THIS was why the warehouse hadn't shipped my unit. The "authorization" hadn't showed up.

The CSR this morning said they would honor what the previous rep had said, even though it wasn't correct procedure. So today, my 5-7 days starts all over!

Thank you for explaining. Hopefully I won't have any trouble then. :-)
Old 12-09-2005, 04:30 AM   #13 (Print)
olutayos

Angry Bad experience so far

Wish I had done a bit more research before purchasing....

Bought a unit at the beginning of october and could not get it to work... problems with dialing. First it would not make a connection from my home.. I attributed this to the fact that I use vonage.. Then I took it to the office and still it would not connect. Ok so maybe the office uses some special phone network.. Finally carried it to one of the few friends I know that still has a regular phone line and also no luck... Spoke with Humax and they determined the unit was defective... After providing my credit card info I was promised a new unit in 5-7 days.... Well nothing arrived and I had to call again... Was given some story about not having the cc info etc but in any case I gave it again and finally 1 month after the purchase of my original unit I got the replacement....

End of story right ... wrong !!

Take the replacement unit directly to the office, plug it in and while going through the menu prompts it starts smoking ... had to pull out the power cord fast before I had a fire on my hands !! I totally flipped . I got hold of tech support again and gave them a piece of my mind.

I have now received the 3rd unit, but had to travel the same day so will not be able to try it out till the new year... I am not looking forward to this I have to say.
olutayos is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-09-2005, 08:34 AM   #14 (Print)
TiVoEvan74

olutayos, that's horrible! I hope you don't have to join the OP and others who are on their 4th unit! That the 3rd time will be a charm.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:34 PM   #15 (Print)
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Send a message via ICQ to megazone Send a message via AIM to megazone Send a message via Yahoo to megazone
Before you plug the 3rd unit in at the office, I'd check to make sure you do have an analog phone system there. It'd suck if you have a digital system and the voltage is high enough to fry the modem.

megazone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2005, 11:20 PM   #16 (Print)
Edward Owen

Well, the Humax drama continues.

Humax FINALLY sent my "refurbished" unit a week after promising me they would do so. Got it on Friday, took most of the afternoon off and went through set up. Weekend proceeded fine.

Tonight, the unit suddenly freezes during playback and now when I try and reboot it goes through the normal powering up sequence for a few seconds before going to a totally white screen and doing nothing else.

I welcome myself to the club, because after tomorrow it looks like I too, will be on my FOURTH HUMAX UNIT.

Gawd this sucks.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:15 AM   #17 (Print)
aizjanika

Quote:
I welcome myself to the club, because after tomorrow it looks like I too, will be on my FOURTH HUMAX UNIT.

Gawd this sucks.

:-( I hope that doesn't happen to me. My new unit arrived yesterday, but I need help hooking it up so I have to wait until my husband has time to do it. They didn't even send an electrical chord with it, so I can't use it as an external DVD burner to burn my shows (on the old machine) to DVDs on the new one as someone recommended. :-( I'm very disappointed.

I have one show that's very special to me that I've been saving on the Tivo drive for months because I was waiting for another one that goes with it to air. I did transfer all these to my computer, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to try to figure out how to burn them to DVD with the computer.

Also, the guy on the phone said the new machine would come with instructions, but there are none.

I also wonder...we have the Lifetime service. Is that going to be negated now because this is a new machine even though it's a replacement machine? Are we going to have a hassle at setup? I assumed there'd be instructions about how to handle this, but it came with the machine in the box and nothing else.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:13 AM   #18 (Print)
Xenophod
N3WBI3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizjanika
:-( I hope that doesn't happen to me. My new unit arrived yesterday, but I need help hooking it up so I have to wait until my husband has time to do it. They didn't even send an electrical chord with it, so I can't use it as an external DVD burner to burn my shows (on the old machine) to DVDs on the new one as someone recommended. :-( I'm very disappointed.

I have one show that's very special to me that I've been saving on the Tivo drive for months because I was waiting for another one that goes with it to air. I did transfer all these to my computer, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to try to figure out how to burn them to DVD with the computer.

Also, the guy on the phone said the new machine would come with instructions, but there are none.

I also wonder...we have the Lifetime service. Is that going to be negated now because this is a new machine even though it's a replacement machine? Are we going to have a hassle at setup? I assumed there'd be instructions about how to handle this, but it came with the machine in the box and nothing else.

From what I've heard, you cannot Burn to DVD any shows that have been transfered from other machines. Only shows that have been recorded by the DVD Unit can be burnt to DVD....

Also, I think the only way Tivo will Transfer the Lifetime Service is if you send your old machine back to them and they replace it....

If you buy a new machine on your own accord, they may not transfer it... (I'm just guessing)

I read the fine print on the Lifetime service thingy and it said "For the lifetime of the Product", not the human sending the money. So if the product dies, so does the service? I dunno, sounds fishy.

ALSO, where did you get your new Humax from?
BestBuy?
Tivo Store?
eBay?

No power cord and no Manual sounds fishy too.
Xenophod is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 09:52 AM   #19 (Print)
lajohn27
Fanboi.. So what?

Power cables can be purchased at any BestBuy, Radio Shack, CircuitCity.. whatever.. They're like 5$.

Most times replacement consumer electronic units come bare bones. That way you keep all your manuals, accessories etc. And they don't have to worry about getting them back.

And lastly.. provided you received the exact same model as a replacement (and you certainly should have) .. you can change the Lifetime Service ID to the new box at "MANAGE MY ACCOUNT" at TIVO.com.

TIVO monitors the use of that tool - so if you try to do it 3x in a year or something, they'll likely call you. But for one time use, it works. You can transfer Lifetime from one 595 series box (for example) to another... for just such circumstances as these.

J

As discussion progresses in any TCF thread where the thread resembles trolling from the first post; the likelihood of the original poster bringing up stock data nears 1.
lajohn27 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 10:47 AM   #20 (Print)
Xenophod
N3WBI3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajohn27
Power cables can be purchased at any BestBuy, Radio Shack, CircuitCity.. whatever.. They're like 5$.

Most times replacement consumer electronic units come bare bones. That way you keep all your manuals, accessories etc. And they don't have to worry about getting them back.

And lastly.. provided you received the exact same model as a replacement (and you certainly should have) .. you can change the Lifetime Service ID to the new box at "MANAGE MY ACCOUNT" at TIVO.com.

TIVO monitors the use of that tool - so if you try to do it 3x in a year or something, they'll likely call you. But for one time use, it works. You can transfer Lifetime from one 595 series box (for example) to another... for just such circumstances as these.

J

OK, Sweet!

That Lifetime Service is sounding better every time I hear about it.
Xenophod is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 04:56 PM   #21 (Print)
aizjanika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophod
From what I've heard, you cannot Burn to DVD any shows that have been transfered from other machines. Only shows that have been recorded by the DVD Unit can be burnt to DVD....

Also, I think the only way Tivo will Transfer the Lifetime Service is if you send your old machine back to them and they replace it....

If you buy a new machine on your own accord, they may not transfer it... (I'm just guessing)

I read the fine print on the Lifetime service thingy and it said "For the lifetime of the Product", not the human sending the money. So if the product dies, so does the service? I dunno, sounds fishy.

ALSO, where did you get your new Humax from?
BestBuy?
Tivo Store?
eBay?

No power cord and no Manual sounds fishy too.

I bought the DRT 800 from Best Buy, but it's Humax that is replacing it. The instructions that came with the original unit said not to take it back to Best Buy but to deal directly with Humax if it was broken, so that's what we're doing. They said it was still under warranty so they just sent us another machine to replace our broken one.

I'm going to be pretty upset if we lose our lifetime service because the machine broke when we've only had it barely a year.

Humax is who sent the new (read: refurbished) machine without even a power chord or anything else in the box but the machine.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:02 PM   #22 (Print)
aizjanika

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajohn27

J

Okay. Cool. I didn't know this. I should have kept reading before I wrote the other reply. The thing that bugs me is that the guy from Humax told us over the phone that they would include instructions in the box for how to set it up. But then again, he's the one who told me I could transfer all my shows to my computer, then transfer them back to the new unit to burn to DVD.

I'll tell my husband about buying a power chord. I want to get this new machine installed ASAP, though. The longer this drags on, the more shows I'm going to lose if I can't figure out a way to burn them to DVD. This is the third day we've had the new machine and it's still in the box. To buy a power chord means driving into the city 25 - 30 miles away and I just got back from there today. I wish I'd known this before I went out today. :::sigh::: This is such a hassle.

I think maybe we need an FAQ for Humax owners with all these goofy questions asked and answered.

Thanks to everyone here for all the help, though. I can't tell you all how great it is to have others of whom I can ask questions and also empathize with.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:08 PM   #23 (Print)
HIHZia
Mad Turk

Quote:
Okay. Cool. I didn't know this. I should have kept reading before I wrote the other reply. The thing that bugs me is that the guy from Humax told us over the phone that they would include instructions in the box for how to set it up. But then again, he's the one who told me I could transfer all my shows to my computer, then transfer them back to the new unit to burn to DVD.

I'll tell my husband about buying a power chord. I want to get this new machine installed ASAP, though. The longer this drags on, the more shows I'm going to lose if I can't figure out a way to burn them to DVD. This is the third day we've had the new machine and it's still in the box. To buy a power chord means driving into the city 25 - 30 miles away and I just got back from there today. I wish I'd known this before I went out today. :::sigh::: This is such a hassle.

I think maybe we need an FAQ for Humax owners with all these goofy questions asked and answered.

Thanks to everyone here for all the help, though. I can't tell you all how great it is to have others of whom I can ask questions and also empathize with.

Try stealing a power cord from a vcr, boombox or other electronic gear. Just look at the shape of the end to see if it matches. A lot of electronics use a standard power cable so if you have one use it until you're done then put it back with the equipment you stole it from.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:39 PM   #24 (Print)
aizjanika

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIHZia
Try stealing a power cord from a vcr, boombox or other electronic gear. Just look at the shape of the end to see if it matches. A lot of electronics use a standard power cable so if you have one use it until you're done then put it back with the equipment you stole it from.

We tried that, but don't have any matching chords. We also went out to buy one and couldn't find one anywhere. :-( My husband actually did an impression of the shape of the cord so we could find the right one, but we didn't find one. Oh well. It was worth a try. :-)
Old 12-14-2005, 09:57 PM   #25 (Print)
buddhawood

Quote:
We tried that, but don't have any matching chords. We also went out to buy one and couldn't find one anywhere. :-( My husband actually did an impression of the shape of the cord so we could find the right one, but we didn't find one. Oh well. It was worth a try. :-)

Radio Shack has the right cord. I have purchased one for my unit there.
buddhawood is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-18-2005, 01:11 PM   #26 (Print)
bostlaw

Is everyone who is experiencing problems using a surge protector for both the power and telephone line inputs??? I don't have experience with DVD units, but I did go through 4 SA units myself...Finally put surege protectors on the phone lines as well (although I use a broadband connection, the units would fry before the service update allowing me to switch over to a network connection)...Once I did that, I had no further problems with any of my TiVos...

2 WG-111 wireless 802.11G adapters
bostlaw is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 06:46 PM   #27 (Print)
bnblues13

fourth one was a charm

I[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen] haven't been online here in a while but I too went through 4 humaxDRT 800 machines back in may 05 and each time they would send me another refurbished unit but low and behold the fourth and last one has worked perfectly for 3 mos. now...Humax was very sympathetic and sent the units out pretty quickly ...if I didnt buy the lifetime TIVO package I would have bailed out with the second unit
but I have to admit it works fine now and I burn discs like crazy with no problems...BB
bnblues13 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 06:50 AM   #28 (Print)
TiVoEvan74

That's great! Perhaps it suggests that they've gotten their quality control in shape. I purchased mine new back in October and it's been fine. So perhaps it was the spring models that were particularly trouble-prone.

I do have my unit plugged into a surge protector...
Old 12-22-2005, 12:58 PM   #29 (Print)
Fredo TiVo

To those with the double click, no click and triple click syndrome:

I have tried just about everything with the control and have found that I get the best response if I bounce the IR signal from the remote off a wall that is about 45 degrees relative to the IR window on the Humax DVR.

Yesterday, my replacement DTR400 arrived from Humax and I quickly set it up and connected with TiVo.

The box works beautifully!!! No Double clicks and no misses!!! The menus are easily navigated and things like entering WEP codes are as slick as expected!!!

My forced call to TiVo and downloading software version 7.2.0 was easy! Now I am enjoying TiVo as I had hoped I would back in November.

In spite of my frustration I must say that all of my calls to TiVo and Humax service representatives have been pleasent. The technical and sales support people have been professional and have always answered my questions satisfactorily.

When you are as frustrated as I have been, it's easy to shout at people and want to inflict damage. In my case, I tried very hard to remain calm and I know the results paid off in the end!!!
Fredo TiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post