TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

View Poll Results: Since the 7.x upgrade, have you noticed screen pixelization when changing channels?
Yes I have 255 80.70%
No I have not 61 19.30%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2005, 11:41 AM   #1 (Print)
MPSmith
Proud 1%'er!

Who's having the pixelization problem?

I've heard that less than 1% of Tivo Users are likely having this problem.
Here's your chance to let everyone know!
MPSmith is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-23-2005, 12:08 PM   #2 (Print)
Booka
Witty thought here.

My personal feeling is that everyone who has the > 7-version software will have this problem. I noticed this problem first with the 5-series software on my 540 box. It is annoying.

All on wired network (Linksys USB200M adapters)
Booka is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-23-2005, 12:10 PM   #3 (Print)
AnteL0pe
the anti-haX0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booka
My personal feeling is that everyone who has the > 7-version software will have this problem. I noticed this problem first with the 5-series software on my 540 box. It is annoying.

TiVo is claiming that "less that 1%" of the 7.x upgraded boxes will experience this.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #4 (Print)
MPSmith
Proud 1%'er!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booka

I agree with you and am hoping this poll will open some people's eyes!
Old 02-23-2005, 12:17 PM   #5 (Print)
Booka
Witty thought here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
TiVo is claiming that "less that 1%" of the 7.x upgraded boxes will experience this.

This is my personal opinon. When companies get into trouble, be it financial or otherwise, and the public calls them to task on an item, the company switches to denial-mode. There are many reasons, both rational and irrational, for doing this.

The fact that they are denying that this is a problem reinforces my opinion on this matter.

TiVo, we all are experiencing this problem. Period.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:32 PM   #6 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnteL0pe

Actually, I never said that. I said that we had received support calls from well under 1% of customers who had the 7.1 software. That statement was in the context of me encouraging customers to call tech support if they were seeing an issue with the 7.1 software so that we could quantify the number of affected customers. Based on the reports that we have received so far (still under 1%), this issue appears to be related to specific digital cable boxes. It does not appear to affect customers who have antenna, cable without a box, analog cable, or satellite program sources. We are investigating ways of minimizing this effect in future version of the TiVo software.
TiVoBill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-23-2005, 12:39 PM   #7 (Print)
MPSmith
Proud 1%'er!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoBill
...Based on the reports that we have received so far (still under 1%), this issue appears to be related to specific digital cable boxes...

Which cable boxes are you seeing problems with? I have a digital cable box (Motorola DCT2000), but I continue to see the problem when I disconnect the box and connect TiVo directly (after a reboot, or course).

Also, can anyone else post here whether they have the problem WITHOUT a digital cable box?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:42 PM   #8 (Print)
VinceA

Send a message via ICQ to VinceA Send a message via AIM to VinceA
Quote:
That statement was in the context of me encouraging customers to call tech support if they were seeing an issue with the 7.1 software so that we could quantify the number of affected customers.

Is there an easy way to just log a call to say "Yes, I've got this issue"? I know that your Tech Support department can't do anything for me (in regards to this issue) so I haven't called. I didn't see the need to tie up the lines and a tech's time to just say "add me to the list". I'm not all that upset about it since it's only five or so seconds at the beginning of a recording and I don't watch much live so I don't change channels manually often.
VinceA is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-23-2005, 12:47 PM   #9 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSmith
Which cable boxes are you seeing problems with? I have a digital cable box (Motorola DCT2000), but I continue to see the problem when I disconnect the box and connect TiVo directly (after a reboot, or course).

I don't have a list available. It seems to depend on the firmware of the digital cable boxes as well, which varies by provider and area. Some customers with the same digital cable box, but different firmware, report different results. We are continuing to look into it.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:51 PM   #10 (Print)
dmlove51

I have the problem on my two Series 240 boxes connected via serial to Motorola DCT-2000 boxes, and NOT on my Toshiba SDH-400 that gets cable directly (no box).

Also, its not just pixellation - its the fact that on a channel change, the sequence, since the upgrade, goes like this....punch in channel number, black screen, flash of existing channel, black, new channel. The additional "black screen and flash of the existing channel", needless to say, seems to make channel changing much slower than before., although admittedly, before the upgrade, channel changing wasn't exactly swift, and it may have been that the old channel just remained on the screen while TiVo was doing its thing.
dmlove51 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-23-2005, 01:08 PM   #11 (Print)
ScottUrman

I've never seen this, but then again I can't remember the last time I actually changed channels - we typically just watch recorded shows. No cable box, just a direct analog cable connection for us.
ScottUrman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-23-2005, 01:08 PM   #12 (Print)
ddonohue

This might be helpful?

I voted yes, I've seen it, and I do have a digital cable box (I think it's a DCT-1000).

I haven't studied it in detail, but it seems to me that the pixelization appeared on a live tv channel change last night, but when I went back and started to watch the recording of the show (I happened to have been there when the recording started), I didn't notice any pixelization at all. Can anyone else confirm this?
ddonohue is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-23-2005, 01:14 PM   #13 (Print)
Dennis Wilkinson

I don't see it on my 240 w/7.1a. I'm connected cable-without-box (i.e. analog RF cable directly into the TiVo.)

Old 02-23-2005, 01:19 PM   #14 (Print)
pbanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceA
Is there an easy way to just log a call to say "Yes, I've got this issue"? I know that your Tech Support department can't do anything for me (in regards to this issue) so I haven't called. I didn't see the need to tie up the lines and a tech's time to just say "add me to the list". I'm not all that upset about it since it's only five or so seconds at the beginning of a recording and I don't watch much live so I don't change channels manually often.

I suggested a similar idea a couple/few weeks ago, it was roundly deemed to be utterly impractical. BTW, I read about one guy who waited for nearly an hour and a half for support to take his call.

Old 02-23-2005, 01:24 PM   #15 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbanders
I suggested a similar idea a couple/few weeks ago, it was roundly deemed to be utterly impractical. BTW, I read about one guy who waited for nearly an hour and a half for support to take his call.

The only way to report issues at this point is by calling. Hold times are generally in the 10-30 minute range depending on the day and time you call.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:08 PM   #16 (Print)
Booka
Witty thought here.

I have noticed it since I acquired my 540 and prior to the 7-series software. One thing that is different now post 7-series software is the flash of the blue TiVo-generated screen (the one that explains why the channel could not be changed) this behavior did not occur prior to the 7-series software.

I don't manually change channels often on the 240 and can't recall seeing the same level of the problem on it, but I will endeavor to check on this.

Both boxes use serial-control to Moto DCT-2000 boxes that have been in our home for at least 2-years.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:35 PM   #17 (Print)
fishie

Send a message via AIM to fishie
Lightbulb Could there be an explanation for the low numbers?

Quote:
Actually, I never said that. I said that we had received support calls from well under 1% of customers who had the 7.1 software. That statement was in the context of me encouraging customers to call tech support if they were seeing an issue with the 7.1 software so that we could quantify the number of affected customers. Based on the reports that we have received so far (still under 1%), this issue appears to be related to specific digital cable boxes. It does not appear to affect customers who have antenna, cable without a box, analog cable, or satellite program sources. We are investigating ways of minimizing this effect in future version of the TiVo software.

Bill,
I've been experiencing this pixelization problem with my Toshiba SD-H400 since the upgrade to 7.1a. I called tech support and was told that my HD was failing and that I needed to call Toshiba (I haven't called them) . I tried to explain this was related to the 7.1x software upgrade and she wouldnt listen to me and kept insisting that I call Toshiba. Is this type of call being logged as a 7.1 problem? I dont think they are. That may show why your numbers may be skewed low.

I have Comcast digital cable with a Motorola box controlled via the serial interface from the tivo.
fishie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-23-2005, 03:01 PM   #18 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishie
Bill,
I've been experiencing this pixelization problem with my Toshiba SD-H400 since the upgrade to 7.1a. I called tech support and was told that my HD was failing and that I needed to call Toshiba (I haven't called them) . I tried to explain this was related to the 7.1x software upgrade and she wouldnt listen to me and kept insisting that I call Toshiba. Is this type of call being logged as a 7.1 problem? I dont think they are. That may show why your numbers may be skewed low.

I have Comcast digital cable with a Motorola box controlled via the serial interface from the tivo.

Technical Support for Toshiba boxes is handled by Toshiba, so they would be the best place to call to report issues with your box. They have their own tracking systems in place.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:09 PM   #19 (Print)
hawk4hire
Future Attny -

Send a message via MSN to hawk4hire
But Bill are you saying the problem is Hardware related (Toshiba box) or Software related (7.x)?
It seems like he is caught in limbo unless another company(Toshiba) has information related to 7.x -
But if this is a software issue - then shouldnt Tivo at least be aware of his situation and write it down so there is an accurate track those who have 7.x issues? But then again maybe Tivo has made arrangements with other HD venders to track that information.
jmho
hawk
hawk4hire is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-23-2005, 03:29 PM   #20 (Print)
moonglo46

Question pixelization problems

I change channels using an IR connector. Would it help if I changed to a serial connector?

Last edited by moonglo46 : 02-23-2005 at 03:41 PM.
moonglo46 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-23-2005, 03:32 PM   #21 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4hire
But Bill are you saying the problem is Hardware related (Toshiba box) or Software related (7.x)?
It seems like he is caught in limbo unless another company(Toshiba) has information related to 7.x -
But if this is a software issue - then shouldnt Tivo at least be aware of his situation and write it down so there is an accurate track those who have 7.x issues? But then again maybe Tivo has made arrangements with other HD venders to track that information.
jmho
hawk

This particular issue appears to be software related, but Toshiba (as well as Philips, Sony, Pioneer, and Humax) provide their own tech support. "Tech Support" covers setup, channel changing, phone/network connections, exchanges, etc. In this particular case, it's a bit of a grey area but Toshiba (the only partner with boxes than 7.1 is rolling out to) does have their own ways of trend tracking and they have ways of communicating info they receive back to TiVo.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:01 PM   #22 (Print)
hawk4hire
Future Attny -

Send a message via MSN to hawk4hire
Great - thanx for yr prompt response - heck it's better than the 800 # I really appreciate your taking time to hang out here from time to time.
Is this less of an issue with 7.1a2 than 7.1a1 or 7.1? I am using 7.1a1 but only have the pixel issue on the tivo connected to digital cable box.
Thanx again
hawk
hawk4hire is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-23-2005, 04:06 PM   #23 (Print)
MickeS

Quote:
I haven't studied it in detail, but it seems to me that the pixelization appeared on a live tv channel change last night, but when I went back and started to watch the recording of the show (I happened to have been there when the recording started), I didn't notice any pixelization at all. Can anyone else confirm this?

Yes. The problem lies in playing back the content, not in recording it. I get different results each time I play it back. For the record, I have a Motorola digital cable box from Comcast, don't know the model number, and I have this problem.

I don't see how the problem could be cable box related when it appears differently each time I play back the same recording... seems more like a DRM issue (or something) to me.

/Mike
MickeS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-23-2005, 05:10 PM   #24 (Print)
jushen1

Toshiba SD-H400. Have the same problem as everyone else since upgraded to 7.x.

Furthermore, I just noticed last night that if I used the original remote of the cable box to navigate, say, change channels or use menus, it's extremely sloooooooooow, snail slow, not slow slow.

Also, I just found out that, the "Spell Check" feature doesn't work on my Safari + Mac OS X 10.2.6!!! (It hang at "Document Checking" forever.)
jushen1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-23-2005, 09:07 PM   #25 (Print)
VinceA

Send a message via ICQ to VinceA Send a message via AIM to VinceA
Quote:
The only way to report issues at this point is by calling. Hold times are generally in the 10-30 minute range depending on the day and time you call.

OK, for this particular issue what info should I have on hand when I call. I want to have it handy since I'll probably be calling from my office. I can think of:
- TiVo model & TSN
- cable box model & firmware rev
- connection type
VinceA is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-23-2005, 10:40 PM   #26 (Print)
TivoPimp

Quote:
Technical Support for Toshiba boxes is handled by Toshiba, so they would be the best place to call to report issues with your box. They have their own tracking systems in place.

Does it seem lame to anyone else that with 4.x the Tivo works fine... 7.x you get pixelation with certain boxes....

So now it's Toshiba or Motorola's problem ??? hmmmmmm

Sorry, doesn't sound like the answer a consumer wants to hear.
TivoPimp is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-23-2005, 11:19 PM   #27 (Print)
Dennis Wilkinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoPimp
So now it's Toshiba or Motorola's problem ??? hmmmmmm

Sorry, doesn't sound like the answer a consumer wants to hear.

Then it's a good thing that that's not the answer.

All TiVoBill is saying is that they don't yet know what the problem is, and if you're having the problem, report it to the right place (being defined as "the customer support line for the company that manufactured your unit.") No one is laying the blame on Motorola or Toshiba.

Old 02-23-2005, 11:48 PM   #28 (Print)
dmlove51

Quote:
report it to the right place (being defined as "the customer support line for the company that manufactured your unit.

The "right place" can only be the manufacturer of my unit if somehow that entity is then going to report the problem to TiVo. This problem didn't exist before the update and exists after the update. Same cable box, same TiVo box. Therefore, to me, clearly a software upgrade issue.
dmlove51 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 12:15 AM   #29 (Print)
MPSmith
Proud 1%'er!

Based on the poll to date, we can safely assume that 75% of TiVo users are having this problem. Think my logic is flawed? Perhaps. But in another thread, TiVoBill makes a statement regarding this issue with similar logic right here , TiVoBill said:

"We closely monitor issue trends in our call centers since any customer can call in, and most do not know of TiVo Community Forum. We have received some calls about pixiliation and slowness issues after the 7.1 upgrade and continue to monitor those reports closely and investigate possible causes. Right now, issues are being reported by well under 1% of the customers who have the new software (over 60,000 customers have the new software as of now). We of course don't want anybody to have issues with the software and are looking at ways that we can minimize the issues that some customers have reported -- just wanted to help everybody understand that the hundred or so reports here on the forum are a small portion of customers running the software. That would tend to indicate that most people are not having the issues reported in some of the threads here."

This is his entire single post, but I've bolded some text for emphasis.

This implies that very few people are having this problem simply because only a few hundred people have braved TiVo's Customer Service line and actually had their complaints logged into their system. Clearly, this logic is screwy. Look at how many have already responded in this thread that they've had a problem in only a few hours!!!

For TiVo to imply in any way that only a few hundred users are having this problem is laughable. I'm not going to waste time explaining why this is wrong: the reasons are numerous and obvious to say the least!!!

For heavens sake, would someone with TiVo stand up a say their compnay has created a problem?!?!
Old 02-24-2005, 01:29 AM   #30 (Print)
grdthato

Thumbs down Same Problems here too

I have the same problems with my Series 2 Standalone unit. I just bought it recently and got the update to the new software a couple of nights ago. I noticed the pixelation is much worse for live tv and recordings. I also noticed that my signal is completely fine when not used through the Tivo. So what do they suggest when someone is not even using a cable box?
grdthato is offline Report Bad Post Report Post