July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2004, 12:03 PM   #151 (Print)
LonghornXP

Quote:
Originally posted by mycltype-s
See for me that would be a problem. All of my cable is in the attic and getting power would not be easy. Now for the people that have this already they can work around it.

But why have USB support and not use it this way... oh wait. D* saw the writing on the wall on how people we able to pull video off of there machines and said "Not on my watch". This might slow people down but not stop it.

Why not have the ability to use a usb hub if wanted or use the cable for people who are not network ready. Best of both worlds.

They wont find a way to copy it off because to get HMO features you will be required to have the latest version of software that will include copy protection that will make video playback after extraction a no go. Reason for it is the copy protection can only be unlocked by a hardware chip on an activated Tivo. Now this system is being used for quality control and ease of installation and support. But this copy protection won't stop you as far as how long you want to keep a recording but it will stop you from sharing a show across a network using non activated boxes. Now you can still record to DVD using the Save To VCR option but as far as playback it will only playback on activated devices which will be only DirecTV DVRs in good standing under your account.
LonghornXP is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 12:05 PM   #152 (Print)
jep8821

LonghornXP -- So far me likes what me hears!!! However, I do have a question. Can this Stream High Def recordings from the hdtivo to another hdtivo or will it limit it to SD from the hdtivo because of the bandwith requirements? Also, This new multiswitch/router device --- is it stackable?

Thanks,

Jason Pollard
jep8821 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 12:05 PM   #153 (Print)
Mark W

I may be the only total non-techie actually reading this thread, but please bear with me. Think of me as Joe Sixpack! It sounds to me like you folks are saying that the HMO we could be seeing with DirecTivo is limited to show sharing between units. Maybe a better term would be show streaming between units? So if things actually go the way they sound, on some day DirecTV will announce that show sharing is available. And hey guess what, you don't even need to have a home network! One thing you will need to do is replace your existing multiswitch (or add?) with our new "sharing multiswitch" for $XX.95. We will arrange for an installer to come out and install it for you. Do I have this right?

Summary:

Show sharing will be available some time in the future
No other HMO features are included.
In order to do this, you will need to buy a multiswitch
It will only work with Series 2 DTivos

My Joe Sixpack thoughts on this:

A) Cool idea to be able to play back stuff from one DTivo from another.
B) With the standard units now having 80GB hard drives however, I don't need much sharing between units. I can fit duplicate stuff on them. I do now with my 40GB boxes.
C) I won't shell out much money for this new multiswitch.
D) Actually, maybe the reverse of 'B' is true, if I have this feature, I don't need machines with bigger hard drives

Again, could somebody dumb things down for me, Joe Sixpack? I very well could have this all wrong.

**Edited to remove extra partial sentence at end**

Last edited by Mark W : 12-15-2004 at 12:13 PM.
Mark W is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 12:08 PM   #154 (Print)
LonghornXP

It will support the HD Tivo but most likely after SD Tivos have been deployed. Now I did find out that HD recordings can only be played back on HD Tivos. So if you record a show in HD it won't playback on an SD Tivo but only an HD Tivo. Now if you record an SD show on an HD Tivo you can playback that SD show on any SD Tivo. Did I confuse ya yet.

Also I was told that in no way would this system work with SA Tivos. This system is for DirecTV service only and this includes only DirecTivos.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:12 PM   #155 (Print)
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

Send a message via AIM to tfederov
Am I pushing it if I ask about remote scheduling, MP3's and pictures from our computer?

DirecTV HR10-250
DirecTV HR10-250
tfederov is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 12:12 PM   #156 (Print)
blueshoo
el guapo

Quote:
Originally posted by tfederov
Any word on if the HD DirecTV TiVo receivers will be in on this? I sadly only have one SD DirecTV TiVo and two HD TiVos. I'd love to be able to transfer shows between my two HDTVs.
I checked the forum rules and don't think self-pity is allowed for those with 2 HD TiVo's. [espcially if this is available to both SD and HD!]
blueshoo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 12:13 PM   #157 (Print)
LonghornXP

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W
I may be the only total non-techie actually reading this thread, but please bear with me. Think of me as Joe Sixpack! It sounds to me like you folks are saying that the HMO we could be seeing with DirecTivo is limited to show sharing between units. Maybe a better term would be show streaming between units? So if things actually go the way they sound, on some day DirecTV will announce that show sharing is available. And hey guess what, you don't even need to have a home network! One thing you will need to do is replace your existing multiswitch (or add?) with our new "sharing multiswitch" for $XX.95. We will arrange for an installer to come out and install it for you. Do I have this right?

Summary:

Show sharing will be available some time in the future
No other HMO features are included.
In order to do this, you will need to buy a multiswitch
It will only work with Series 2 DTivos

My Joe Sixpack thoughts on this:

A) Cool idea to be able to play back stuff from one DTivo from another.
B) With the standard units now having 80GB hard drives however, I don't need much sharing between units. I can fit duplicate stuff on them. I do now with my 40GB boxes.
C) I won't shell out much money for this new multiswitch.
D) Actually, maybe the reverse of 'B' is true, if I have this feature, I don't need machines with bigger hard drives

Again, could somebody dumb things down for me, Joe Sixpack? I very well could have this all wrong.

Anyway, as a DTivo customer with 3 DTivos, if I wanted HMO, or rather show streaming, DirecTV would say to me at some point

For the most part that is correct but one benefit this system would add is giving you this ability. Say you have three rooms all with SD DVRs. With this system you can record 6 live shows all at the same time and play them back on any of your DVRs no matter what it was recorded on. You can't beat that in itself. Also in my house my wife and kid likes the same shows so we watch our favorite one in HDTV but we record another in SD and even though my son has different hours than my wife and I we still record many shows with our 35 hour units and it would be nice to not have to record the same show twice so my wife doesn't have to watch it in my sons room and lets say that would never happen.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:20 PM   #158 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
Originally posted by LonghornXP
What do you mean by program another unit. Do you mean being able to tell DVR A to record a show in DVR As guide but actually have it record on DVR C for example. If that is what your asking I'm not sure and my bud doesn't know the answer to that but he will ask around.

That is exactly what I mean. In other words we really can't run one of these things headless. To program a SP on DVR C, you need to be able to access DVR C and not have it be off in a wiring closet.

It all sounds great so far. I may have to make some wiring changes, but thats not a big deal compared to what I would get.
herdfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 12:20 PM   #159 (Print)
Mark W

Quote:
For the most part that is correct but one benefit this system would add is giving you this ability. Say you have three rooms all with SD DVRs. With this system you can record 6 live shows all at the same time and play them back on any of your DVRs no matter what it was recorded on. You can't beat that in itself. Also in my house my wife and kid likes the same shows so we watch our favorite one in HDTV but we record another in SD and even though my son has different hours than my wife and I we still record many shows with our 35 hour units and it would be nice to not have to record the same show twice so my wife doesn't have to watch it in my sons room and lets say that would never happen.

Thanks for the quick reply. The more I think about this, the more appealing it is. What's not to like, if you don't want it, don't get it. The pricing will be a key factor.
Mark W is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 12:22 PM   #160 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
I wonder what manufacturing screw-ups will occur with the USB/Coax dongles and the special multiswitches...

Need. Pre-order. Now.

(And might have to hook up a third HR10-250...)
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 12:24 PM   #161 (Print)
mycltype-s

Send a message via AIM to mycltype-s
One more question. What happens to the unit that is doing the streaming? Can you be watching live tv and recording something and streaming and not know about it?

12.4 @ 102 w/nitrous in a saturn???
mycltype-s is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 12:34 PM   #162 (Print)
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Send a message via ICQ to Okeemike Send a message via Yahoo to Okeemike
Quote:
Originally posted by mycltype-s
One more question. What happens to the unit that is doing the streaming? Can you be watching live tv and recording something and streaming and not know about it?

I don't have HMO, but from what I understand, you CAN do this. It sounds as if the really "intensive" part is the unencryption process (since the shows are stored of the machine in an encrypted format). Since the unit doesn't have to convert anything, it just shoots the data over the connection, and can send to multuple TiVo's at a time (I think). All while recording.

Think of it as having someone pull a file off of yoru PC while you continue to work / surf the web.

Okeemike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 12:36 PM   #163 (Print)
markrsmith83

It's kind of unforunate that they're going this way.

I only have one Tivo now (I'm surprised that I'm allowed on this board. ) - my HDTivo. The only feature of HMO that I'm interested in would be Internet control of the Tivo. If I forget to Tivo something, I just have to log in and get it scheduled. They really should be able to make that happen via the DirecTV data stream and not even need an Internet connection.

Oh, well.
markrsmith83 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 12:42 PM   #164 (Print)
LonghornXP

Quote:
Originally posted by Okeemike
I don't have HMO, but from what I understand, you CAN do this. It sounds as if the really "intensive" part is the unencryption process (since the shows are stored of the machine in an encrypted format). Since the unit doesn't have to convert anything, it just shoots the data over the connection, and can send to multuple TiVo's at a time (I think). All while recording.

Think of it as having someone pull a file off of yoru PC while you continue to work / surf the web.

Correct. The source box that has the file does the unlocking when it gets a request from an authorized box and it stays unlocked until the requesting box terminates its playback. Also any Directivo can still record two live shows and playback a recorded show at the same type and also stream a show to another box.

So to make it simple I'll break it down like this.

DVR A at 8:00pm can do all the following below at the sametime.
Record two live shows on say Fox and CBS between 8pm and 9pm.
It can also playback any recorded show.
It can also allow DVR B and C to playback two different recorded shows.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:44 PM   #165 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

Right! Similar to how you can order PPV now. That functionality could be implemented for any DirecTV DVR. You could go to the DirecTV website and select the show you want to set up. Then DirecTV sends the commands via the satellite to your TiVo.

Old 12-15-2004, 12:45 PM   #166 (Print)
mtchamp

Thanks LonghornXP for the detailed answers. This all sounds like DirecTV is serious about TiVo. Some say that DirecTV would never upgrade TiVos because they don't want you to love them anymore than you do already while they bring out a new box from NDS that would cost them less.

DirecTV or NDS say they will have a box with features just like TiVo with MRV and more features by April 2005. I even read that DirecTV will show an NDS version DVR at the CES.

Competition is good for innovation, but it looks like TiVo can do whatever DirecTV wants them to do, why bother with NDS when TiVo works so well. Do you know anything about the NDS box, does it exist or is it just vaporware as TiVo recently said.

Old 12-15-2004, 12:48 PM   #167 (Print)
tivo elvis

and how would you tell the sat stream what you wanted to record? The internet?

Anybody testing the phsychic dongle? I just want to "think" about my favorite episode of say "parker lewis can't lose" and have the DTivo schedule a season pass, of course it would have to dispatch a few thugs to the homes of various execs to make them put the show back on the air, but I hear the "other board" has found a way to make that work, just requires nuclear physics...
tivo elvis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 12:48 PM   #168 (Print)
LonghornXP

Quote:
Originally posted by JimSpence
Right! Similar to how you can order PPV now. That functionality could be implemented for any DirecTV DVR. You could go to the DirecTV website and select the show you want to set up. Then DirecTV sends the commands via the satellite to your TiVo.

All of these things are being looked into now but they have been halted up until now. Also this MRV system is being done like others have said so it can be used for the NDS DVRs as well. But I'm hearing that our Tivo DVRs will have more features besides MRV than the NDS DVRs but they think no matter what DVR they offer they feel MRV is a must have feature so if they are going to have to support it they might as well make it user friendly and easy to suppor and maintain and also make things very easy for their installers. Have everything the same for both DVR platforms.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:50 PM   #169 (Print)
LonghornXP

The online scheduling can be made much easier by an access point informing the correct Tivo of the record request that came to the access point from the Tivo.....hint hint.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:50 PM   #170 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
All of these things are being looked into now but they have been halted up until now. Also this MRV system is being done like others have said so it can be used for the NDS DVRs as well. But I'm hearing that our Tivo DVRs will have more features besides MRV than the NDS DVRs but they think no matter what DVR they offer they feel MRV is a must have feature so if they are going to have to support it they might as well make it user friendly and easy to suppor and maintain and also make things very easy for their installers. Have everything the same for both DVR platforms.

Is the intent to allow interoperability between the NDS and the TiVo implementations of streaming between receivers?
Old 12-15-2004, 12:51 PM   #171 (Print)
dnemec123
Now own 2 DirecTiVos

Send a message via MSN to dnemec123
Ok, I admit it... I don't want to read 165+ messages.... So what's the release timeframe of the MRV with the updated multiswitch?

Thanks!

(JavaHMO, TiVoServer, TyTools, TiVo Desktop, Dailymail_jazz)
dnemec123 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 12:51 PM   #172 (Print)
LonghornXP

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Is the intent to allow interoperability between the NDS and the TiVo implementations of streaming between receivers?

That is what they are hoping to obtain.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:52 PM   #173 (Print)
LonghornXP

Quote:
Originally posted by dnemec123
Ok, I admit it... I don't want to read 165+ messages.... So what's the release timeframe of the MRV with the updated multiswitch?

Thanks!

Pick a number between 1 and 365 and maybe you will be right.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:53 PM   #174 (Print)
Oknarf

Thumbs up

So far so good, though this could be just a seed planted to see what the raction is, as there is no press release and until it's real, it's vapor.

MRV, show streaming, is a great feature. I will not go so far as to say that alone will make us forget about remote programming, "Tivo to go", and viewing of digi-pics and playback of mp3 from the PC . Using coax, as opposed to cat-5e, will make it easier for Joe 6 pack to make use of and also make installs easier.

What would stop directv or Tivo from offering another "dongle" with a driver to connect a PC's USB port to coax and interface with the Tivo network? Could be a rather easy solution for full HMO.

WHEN!

A64, 1GB, 1TB, Dual Tuner, Win MCE
HTL-HD 4 Sale!
DSR708 80hr 6.2
DSR708 80hr 6.2+ ;-)
HDVR2 160GB 6.2+ ;-)
DSR6000 120GB
Oknarf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2004, 12:54 PM   #175 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:

Will DirecTV demonstrate this at CES?
Old 12-15-2004, 12:55 PM   #176 (Print)
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Quote:

So you're saying it will definately be within the next year, eh?

Old 12-15-2004, 12:56 PM   #177 (Print)
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Quote:
Correct. The source box that has the file does the unlocking when it gets a request from an authorized box and it stays unlocked until the requesting box terminates its playback. Also any Directivo can still record two live shows and playback a recorded show at the same type and also stream a show to another box.

So to make it simple I'll break it down like this.

DVR A at 8:00pm can do all the following below at the sametime.
Record two live shows on say Fox and CBS between 8pm and 9pm.
It can also playback any recorded show.
It can also allow DVR B and C to playback two different recorded shows.

Would you please email my fiancee and let her know that I was right at least ONCE today?? Thanks...

Old 12-15-2004, 12:59 PM   #178 (Print)
LonghornXP

I'm saying HMO should be available this coming 2005 but I'm not saying if this whole new multiswitch will be used. Now I believe it will be used because I very much trust my source on this. I don't know if it will be showed off before its launched and it still is being considered about allowing the second USB port to be used for wireless networking to share media from the computer but the MRV just flatout won't work well enough to stream content from room to room and keep it safe and stable.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:00 PM   #179 (Print)
LonghornXP

Quote:
Originally posted by Okeemike
Would you please email my fiancee and let her know that I was right at least ONCE today?? Thanks...

Woman always have to be right so by you saying your are right that is saying she is wrong and that would piss her off.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:05 PM   #180 (Print)
LonghornXP

I've got some stuff I've got to deal with soon. I've gotta swing by the bank, sons school for meeting, doctors office for son afterwards, insurance company and a few other things so that will be fun and I'm hoping I can avoid the snow for as long as I can. I need to get back down to Florida really frikin quick. But sadly even Florida was in the 30s last night.