July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2004, 06:04 PM   #211 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
If the 30-bit date issue is the cause of all this, everything's still there; some aspects of the system just aren't dealing well with the guide data wrapping back around through 0.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 06:27 PM   #212 (Print)
Ilovetorecord2

Send a message via Yahoo to Ilovetorecord2
Re: Tivo Service??

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteB
Ok, I just had to register and state my disgust with what I see in this forum. Everyone thanking Tivoops Manager for answering 1 question??? What ever happened to customer service?? Everyone on this forum should continue to call the TIVO help line until they get answers. Then Tivo would realize it is a lot easier to have a full time person assigned to this forum and answer ALL of our questions just once, instead of many times individually.

START CALLING!!!!!

I can understand that it might be thought that Tivo runs the site, but volunteers do and they have for the last 4 years when we only have a few forums and David asked for volunteers to run the respectively forums.

As far as calls, heck, when I call my isp, I have been told to replace my computer even though it was a software problem and I knew it, but did not know where.

Sometime the person answering the help phones is not very qualified.

But I can understand the frustration with the problems people are having. I had a internal error yesterday but then it vanished and no problem since.

For those with problems I would call in once you have recycle your directivos and still have the same problem.

I thanked the Tivo employee because I got a answer to something that has been ongoing and we know what but not the why.

And welcome to the tivo forum!!!

Old 01-09-2004, 06:36 PM   #213 (Print)
psweig

jsharper, that was great. there is nothing like a graphic picture, even if it uses the reader's imagination instead of a visual. You should teach. So, they're using leftover bandwidth to stream the guide data in real time! That's actually a good idea, if they get it right. It reminds me of the old Cobol language. If your "." was in the wrong position, you got garbage. Thanks again for taking the time.

Old 01-09-2004, 07:52 PM   #214 (Print)
bbristow
Member Since 2003

TiVo CSA's have NO clue about Guide Data Problem

Just held well over an HOUR to reach ill informed CSA agent at TiVo about the nearly two-week old problem of Guide Data error. He said I was the first and only one to have called about the problem. Then he put me on hold for another 10 minutes while he sought out a "supervisor." Finally, he came back to report that it was only a "cosmetic" problem but had no idea when/if it would be fixed. Basically, I was just to sit back and not worry about it is how it seemed to me. He also said I might call and talk with [more idiots] at DirecTV, but I informed him that THEIR only suggestion was to pull the plug and reboot (which we all know doesn't work!).

I've been reading about this possible Linux date situation here. Maybe in a day or two, we'll have no guide at all, thereby defeating the entire reason for having TiVo. Maybe if they have to start doling out refunds, they'll get their a$$@s in gear and FIX IT!
bbristow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 09:09 PM   #215 (Print)
Dago Red

Quote:
Originally posted by Wilhite
My Tivo Suggestions included "Mod Squad", "The Brady Bunch", "Mannix" and "Love American Style" the other day. I just thought that Tivo was thinking I liked old TV shows.

That was just way too funny.
Dago Red is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 09:21 PM   #216 (Print)
JackStraw

My to do list expires tommorow. No shows will be recorded next week. They don't exist, because there is no channel guide. I will have to manually
input all weekly network shows I record.
JackStraw is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 09:31 PM   #217 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
I've been having that message appear for a while; my to-do list goes up through 1/22. Everything looks normal about it. And I haven't missed anything since it started appearing, so I think it's recorded everything it should have. I've also rebooted numerous times as this was all during my attempts at getting the CacheCard to work properly.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 10:19 PM   #218 (Print)
trainman
Man of Trains

Send a message via AIM to trainman
Quote:
Originally posted by trainman
If you have a season pass set to First Run Only, and there are only reruns in the guide data, the show will be listed as "None Upcoming" at the bottom of the To Do list and "No Upcoming Shows" in the show information screen you get to from Season Pass Manager.

Just to correct myself, it actually will list the correct number of upcoming shows in the show information screen...for example, right now, my First Run Only season pass for "Monk" is at the bottom of my To Do list with "None Upcoming," but the show information screen says "There are 9 upcoming episodes" (because everything in the guide data right now is a rerun, because USA is late getting its listings in).

At any rate, like dswallow, all along, I've been having no problems searching for, choosing, and recording shows.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:11 PM   #219 (Print)
djbrown

Quote:
Originally posted by JackStraw
My to do list expires tommorow. No shows will be recorded next week. They don't exist, because there is no channel guide. I will have to manually
input all weekly network shows I record.

You seem to be the perfect candidate to see your tivo service # to TivoOpsMgr so they can examine your logs.

send it to estephen@tivo.com and explain your situation.
djbrown is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2004, 12:44 AM   #220 (Print)
Todd76

My To do List runs trough Jan. 20, including Amerian Idol (leftover season pass from the last iteration). I haven't missed any recordings or noticed any problems (other than the message at the bottom of the screen).
Todd76 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2004, 12:52 AM   #221 (Print)
Meklos

An update here from TivoOpsMgr or any other Tivo person would really be nice...

Any update...
Meklos is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2004, 08:30 AM   #222 (Print)
FlyFisher

My HDVR3 displays the "Aquiring Guide Data..." message but programs in the To Do List, almost all of which are First Run Only, run through 01/21. To the best of my knowledge, no recordings have been skipped or missed.

Old 01-10-2004, 04:24 PM   #223 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Send a message via AIM to Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Skittles
OK, this has gone from being a cosmetic issue to a serious concern for me.

I went into my To-Do list this morning to triple check everything for the upcoming week. I noticed that neither Will & Grace nor The Apprentice were listed to record this Thursday. There were no conflicts with anything, since nothing else was recording at that time.

I went into my Season Pass list and selected "View Upcoming Episodes", once for W&G and another time for The Apprentice. Neither time did it show any upcoming episodes for Thursday.

I checked under Browse by Channel for Thursday, and both W&G and The Apprentice show up. I went in, and both were tagged as "This episode will not be recorded". I had to tell the HDVR2 to Record this episode also.

Even from there, if I tried "View Upcoming Episodes", it didn't list the episode I had just told my TiVo to record.

Frankly, I'm more than concerned. Until this is fixed, I'm going to be stuck babysitting my To-Do list to ensure that everything I want to see is recorded properly, and for that, I'm not pleased. Calling this a "display only" issue is a drastic understatement.

I emailed estephen@tivo.com with my service number, to make sure this gets passed along and investigated.

Old 01-10-2004, 05:01 PM   #224 (Print)
drew2k
!revetahW

TiVo Ops Mgr sent me a PM a couple of days ago me to let me know that the acquiring guide data message is due to a timing issue, but that he can't post officially without DTV permission. He also said that TiVo has reviewed hundreds of Direct-TiVos and could not find a relation between the acquiring guide data message and the SP problems, but anyone having these problems should report their Service Number to him so they could investigate further.

So I just emailed TiVo Ops Mgr. I am experiencing the problems with Season Passes for Scrubs and Will and Grace. The Recording History reports both programs are no longer in the guide, but both search by title and the guide itself confirm the programs are present.

I also have a problem with a new SP I created yesterday for Monk on USA. The season premiere is 1/16, and right after I created the SP for first run only, the To Do list correctly showed the 1/16 episode would be recorded, but the all-day marathon of repeats would be skipped. Today, however, the show was not listed in my To Do list, nor was it in the Recording History. I changed the options on the SP to First Run + Repeat, and then all eps were scheduled to record. I changed it back to First Run only, and again no episodes are scheduled to record. Not sure why yesterday the SP was doing its job on Monk, and today it's not.

I encourage everyone to review your To Do lists and look at your Recording History to see why shows are not being recorded. If there's a problem, please let TiVo know your service number and with enough feedback, they hopefully can resolve this!

Old 01-10-2004, 05:18 PM   #225 (Print)
Ilovetorecord2

Send a message via Yahoo to Ilovetorecord2
Quote:
Originally posted by drew2k

I also have a problem with a new SP I created yesterday for Monk on USA. The season premiere is 1/16, and right after I created the SP for first run only, the To Do list correctly showed the 1/16 episode would be recorded, but the all-day marathon of repeats would be skipped. Today, however, the show was not listed in my To Do list, nor was it in the Recording History. I changed the options on the SP to First Run + Repeat, and then all eps were scheduled to record. I changed it back to First Run only, and again no episodes are scheduled to record. Not sure why yesterday the SP was doing its job on Monk, and today it's not.

I have looked at Monk a few times and I see no season premeire and see only repeats. I just checked it and it is still reruns but I am checking daily my shows and passes and have no problems yet.

Old 01-10-2004, 05:23 PM   #226 (Print)
drew2k
!revetahW

See Ch. 242, 10 PM EST Friday 1/16.
Quote:
Monk "Mr. Monk and the Paperboy" Drama, Mistery/Crime. When his paperboy is murdered, Monk turns to the pages of the newspaper for clues. CC, Series, Season Premiere.
No mention of repeat in description, but the "invisible" guide data may erroneously be reporting it's a repeat and that's why TiVo today thinks it shouldn't be recorded. However, if that's the case, why did the SP I created yesterday correctly detect it was a first-run, and overnight that changed? I'm in the dark ...

Old 01-10-2004, 05:46 PM   #227 (Print)
designr
Ucvbn Bjfyuvs

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilovetorecord2
I have looked at Monk a few times and I see no season premiere and see only repeats. I just checked it and it is still reruns but I am checking daily my shows and passes and have no problems yet.

Near as I can tell, Monk's "Season Premier" is not being recognized as a "First Run" show. This happened last season and I had to delete my season pass and create a new one. This time I'm manually adding the season premier (Fri, 1/16, 7pm pacific; repeated at 10pm pacific). I want to see if episode #2 (Fri, 1/23 ???) shows up on my old season pass. Oddly and concerning, my guide data for USA stops on Mon, 1/19...

Quote:
Originally posted by blix
while this is just speculation... then the date would blow up 01-10-2004 13:37:03 GMT.

Does this bode the end of linear time?

DirecTiVo Hughes HDVR2 105 Hours (Soon to be Hacked)
DirecTiVo Hughes DVR40 135 Hours (Hacked 4.0.1b)

Last edited by designr : 01-10-2004 at 06:13 PM.
designr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2004, 07:10 PM   #228 (Print)
Azure

My series 2 Hughes also lists Scrubs and W&G as not recording because it's no longer in the guide. But this is because those two recordings are actually no longer in the gudie. NBC rescheduled. The Apprentice is now showing after Friends. This has caused W&G to air at 9:32 instead of when it actually was going to air. And Scrubs doesn't come on at all on 1/15 now.

Old 01-10-2004, 08:06 PM   #229 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Quote:
Originally posted by Azure
My series 2 Hughes also lists Scrubs and W&G as not recording because it's no longer in the guide. But this is because those two recordings are actually no longer in the gudie. NBC rescheduled. The Apprentice is now showing after Friends. This has caused W&G to air at 9:32 instead of when it actually was going to air. And Scrubs doesn't come on at all on 1/15 now.
Rescheduling the programs shouldn't affect how the HDVR2 records the shows. It should notice that the programs have moved and readjust the recordings. That's sort of the big thing about having a TiVo.

And they are in the guide. That's why they show up in the "Browse by channel" function.

Old 01-10-2004, 08:47 PM   #230 (Print)
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

Send a message via AIM to tfederov
What's the chance this carries over to the new HD TiVos?
tfederov is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2004, 09:25 PM   #231 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

OK, update on the previous problem

Next week's episode of The Apprentice is supposed to be new on Wednesday, not Thursday. The program guide doesn't reflect that.

It DOES show a rerun of the first episode on Wednesday, but that's wrong.

Old 01-10-2004, 10:06 PM   #232 (Print)
TWood

Quote:
Originally posted by Skittles
OK, update on the previous problem

Next week's episode of The Apprentice is supposed to be new on Wednesday, not Thursday. The program guide doesn't reflect that.

It DOES show a rerun of the first episode on Wednesday, but that's wrong.

According to NBC's web page, episode 1 of The Apprentice will be re-run on Wednesday 1/14. Episode 2 will air on Thursday 1/15. So the program guide (at least mine) is correct.

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/header/TV_Sc...y-20040114.html
http://www.nbc.com/nbc/header/TV_Sc...y-20040115.html
TWood is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-11-2004, 03:04 AM   #233 (Print)
genmgr

I think I may have found another symptom of the problem.

When I look at the Season Pass Manager, all my channel numbers have dropped off. For Friends, it used to read Friends (5 NBC5) or something like that. Now, it just has Friends (NBC5).

If I use the program guide to find Friends on Thursday, and re-subscribe, it appears with the channel number again. Not sure what that accomplishes, but I thought it worth noting.

-CP
genmgr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-11-2004, 03:20 AM   #234 (Print)
jsharper
rebmeM weN

Quote:
Originally posted by blix
while this is just speculation... if this was a traditional unix date that was for some reason stored in a 30 bit format, then the date would blow up 01-10-2004 13:37:03 GMT. Assuming program data is about 2 weeks in advance, that would mean the problem would show up at approximately 12-27-2003 13:37:03 GMT. Normally unix dates are 31 bit (at least) and do not blow up until 2038.

As an aside, I know of at least one software product/project (AFS (both Transarc and OpenAFS) which broke today due to the 30 bit rollover..
jsharper is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-11-2004, 07:52 AM   #235 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Quote:
Originally posted by TWood
According to NBC's web page, episode 1 of The Apprentice will be re-run on Wednesday 1/14. Episode 2 will air on Thursday 1/15. So the program guide (at least mine) is correct.
That's odd. The preview clip from the original airing of The Apprentice showed that the new episode was Wednesday.

But still, it makes me wonder why it didn't catch the Thursday airing of the Apprentice, even though it's tagged as a new episode, has a different description, and is listed in the Guide.

Old 01-11-2004, 06:20 PM   #236 (Print)
TonyD79

NBC behavior is messy on Thursday nights. Not a new thing, I have seen it before.

What will happen is that a show is moved by 2 minutes. The guide data downloaded shows the difference, but the To Do List takes some time to catch up (all that indexing the system is doing). Rather than a new time being shown for a show, it seems that TiVo sees it as a deletion of the show at the old time and the addition of a "new" show at the new time. So, you get a "Deleted from Guide" notice and a new listing in the To Do List (which may not show up right away).

Blame NBC will all their stupid movement on Thursdays,which only makes all timeshifters unhappy (not to mention families who own clocks and expect shows to start or stop on the half-hour).

Old 01-11-2004, 06:54 PM   #237 (Print)
djbrown

wanna know something really weird? Of the 20 or so season passes I have on my "broken unit", only *2* have upcoming episodes listed when selecting "Show upcoming episodes". Those two? BOTH are Spike Season Passes, and were created BEFORE the somewhat-recent channel id change. The Season Pass shows upcoming airings, but none are scheduled to record, and the recording history for the unit is completely empty after Jan 9.
djbrown is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-11-2004, 11:04 PM   #238 (Print)
BRSlim

I'm glad I checked in here and found out that Monk has it's season premier this week since it was not in my to do list. Like some others I also had a problem with Monk last year and had to delete it and add it again, so I thought it was the same thing. It was not. I had 2 other SP's for Fridays at 10 PM so no Monk. The DirecTIVO told me about it so I was able to pick one of the other time slots for Monk and reset the SP with that time as the main slot and so far so good.

Maybe some of the problems reported are similar and not really problems at all. Just a thought.

Last edited by BRSlim : 01-11-2004 at 11:11 PM.
BRSlim is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2004, 08:47 AM   #239 (Print)
pcridd

I'll throw my hat into the ring of those who think that the "Acquiring Program Guide data" messages currently being displayed on the DirecTV with TiVo receivers represent more than a cosmetic issue. Similar to others, I have experienced the following since this message started appearing in late December:

1) Noticeable decreases in speed while navigating through the "Pick Programs to Record" section of the menus.

2) Gradual degradation in the quantity of guide data. I first noticed this on 1/3, when I attempted to record the season premiere of Dweezil & Lisa, which is slated for 1/16 at 10:00pm on the Food Network. At the time, my box did not have guide data through 1/16, and only had (seemingly) complete data through 1/14. Since that time, my guide data has not noticeably changed. I checked this morning, and my To Do List only goes through 1/14 at 6:30 pm, despite a number of shows that I record on a daily basis (such as ABC World News Tonight).

I've PM-ed TiVoOpsMgr with my service # and problems, and will let everyone know if any new info comes from any reply I get.
pcridd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2004, 09:12 AM   #240 (Print)
Jon J
Yes. I did it.

Quote:
Originally posted by pcridd
I've PM-ed TiVoOpsMgr with my service # and problems, and will let everyone know if any new info comes from any reply I get.
Do not hold your breath in the meantime.