THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-06-2005, 05:20 PM   #211 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog
For those who don't know, that's from the little known 5th verse of Folsom Prison, which was cut from the record:

Really.

you had to be there, oops TMI.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #212 (Print)
Stesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
you had to be there, oops TMI.

Stesmo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 10:08 PM   #213 (Print)
Dogwood

Why is there no official Tivo comment on this thread or the reward point thread? This doesn't seem like a good time for Tivo to ignore this community.

I sure miss TivoBill!
Dogwood is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 10:20 PM   #214 (Print)
timckelley
Longhorn Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogwood
Why is there no official Tivo comment on this thread or the reward point thread? This doesn't seem like a good time for Tivo to ignore this community.

I sure miss TivoBill!

Since they refuse to comment, I must assume that they consider what they've done is indefensible from a customer service point of view.

You, sir, are brilliant. - pianoman
reaffirmed by brenrher - brenrher
You sir are a genius! - slydog75
timckelley is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 08:22 AM   #215 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
Since they refuse to comment, I must assume that they consider what they've done is indefensible from a customer service point of view.

or perhaps they decided on the policy for business reasons and have no wish to argue it in a semi offical forum's thread
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 08:58 AM   #216 (Print)
timckelley
Longhorn Alumni

I'm not saying my assumption's right, but this is my assumption based on lack of response.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:27 AM   #217 (Print)
JeffP

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
You cannot blame TiVo for the (un)reliability of hard drives.

No, but I can fault them for weak failure recovery. Only one of the drives was dead per-se, the others have been re-formatted and appear to be working fine.

Quote:
Are your PCs running 24 hours a day, constantly accessing the hard drives?

Yes, and one is a web server. Actually, running 24-7 is better for mechanical systems because they do not need to undergo the stress of startup/shutdown.

Quote:
Are you using UPS for power backup?

Remember, this is a consumer electronics device we are talking about here... Their Linux filesystem is read-only, so the fault must be in the MFS - TiVo's proprietary hard drive partitions. They had full control to make that filesystem fault recoverable.

Jeff
JeffP is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-12-2005, 01:39 PM   #218 (Print)
c3
TiVoholic

Having a read-only OS partition does not prevent bad sectors and dead drives. Having a drive on all the time is not the same as constantly reading and writing data. Consumer electronics or not, I don't run any hard drives without UPS. Can TiVo make the system more fault tolerant with a software-only solution? Probably, but only to certain extent. Hardware fault tolerant solution is out of the question due to cost.

Old 10-12-2005, 05:14 PM   #219 (Print)
by-tor

Screw Tivo... Long Live Tivo!

I love Tivo, but this is CRAZY.... I just called to add another (my THIRD) Tivo and they said to activate it I had to sign up for one year of service. This is to upgrade a Tivo Basic system to Tivo Plus... I've been a DEVOTED Tivo user since they first came out (14 hour series 1) but I can not recommend them anymore. I'm disqusted...

I politely told the person that they have lost my future business... He undersood and thanked me for calling.
by-tor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-12-2005, 06:24 PM   #220 (Print)
kcm

I got the same response when I cancelled, they couldn't have cared less. "Why are you cancelling?" - "I feel TiVo has lost respect for me as a customer and does not appreciate how I use my TiVo, now that you have contracts and forced deletions, not to mention the lack of response when the 7.x series destroyed my 140- series unit." - "OK, thanks for using TiVo, good bye."

The HDR112 was 12 hours, btw.
kcm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-12-2005, 06:30 PM   #221 (Print)
Dogwood

This policy is a big mistake for Tivo. It isn't fair to require one year of service on used Tivo boxes.
Dogwood is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-12-2005, 06:35 PM   #222 (Print)
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcm
The HDR112 was 12 hours, btw.

14 hours

Old 10-12-2005, 06:35 PM   #223 (Print)
kcm

you're right, after all, I doublechecked. either way, I'm in the same boat. disappointing to see.. isn't it?
kcm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-13-2005, 09:06 AM   #224 (Print)
timckelley
Longhorn Alumni

Well, it does seem rude to force a contract on a used box, though in a practical sense, in my situtation, if I ever decide to subscribe on a used box, in all likihood I'm going to stay subscribed for at least a year anyway.

If everybody else like me?

Case 1: They are. Then this contract is pointless. They're going to get their year of revenue anyway, so why force it?

Case 2: They're not. Then there is a difference, and imo, the used box owners have a legitimate complaint. If they only want 3 months of service, why can't they pay for just 3 months, if TiVo has already recaptured their cost from the original owner? Well, I suppose a possibility is that the original owner never subbed either, so maybe they haven't recaptured their cost. Still, we're talking an old unit, and they had their chance when they set the policy on units back then. Maybe new policies should be valid moving forward, and not retroactive to old units originally bought a long time ago. Of course, I'm no expert on this, so I'll continue to sit back and read others' opinions.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:00 AM   #225 (Print)
Stormspace
Disruptive Influence

Send a message via AIM to Stormspace
Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
Well, it does seem rude to force a contract on a used box, though in a practical sense, in my situtation, if I ever decide to subscribe on a used box, in all likihood I'm going to stay subscribed for at least a year anyway.

If everybody else like me?

Case 1: They are. Then this contract is pointless. They're going to get their year of revenue anyway, so why force it?

Case 2: They're not. Then there is a difference, and imo, the used box owners have a legitimate complaint. If they only want 3 months of service, why can't they pay for just 3 months, if TiVo has already recaptured their cost from the original owner? Well, I suppose a possibility is that the original owner never subbed either, so maybe they haven't recaptured their cost. Still, we're talking an old unit, and they had their chance when they set the policy on units back then. Maybe new policies should be valid moving forward, and not retroactive to old units originally bought a long time ago. Of course, I'm no expert on this, so I'll continue to sit back and read others' opinions.

Ultimately this is a desparate attempt to maintain profitability with the subscriptions. It is obvious from the lack of used TiVo exemption that TiVo feels that all machines are subsidized regardless of age. I still wonder what they would do in the case of a used unit that fails 2-3 months into the contract.

w/linksys WUSB11 USB Adapter
Galleon 2.1 on 260GB WIN2000

"No daddy, it's a 181 hour tivo" - Margaret
Stormspace is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #226 (Print)
c3
TiVoholic

What if someone suscribe it for 3 weeks, cancel it, subscribe again for 3 weeks, and cancel it again ..... What does TiVo get out of it?

Old 10-13-2005, 01:33 PM   #227 (Print)
timckelley
Longhorn Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
What if someone suscribe it for 3 weeks, cancel it, subscribe again for 3 weeks, and cancel it again ..... What does TiVo get out of it?

I guess they get three C-notes, but somebody would be incredibly stupid to do this because when you sign up, you've effectively already prepaid your year's service in advance via early withdrawal fee, so may as well fulful the contract and not cancel. They already have your year's $.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:51 PM   #228 (Print)
c3
TiVoholic

TiVo still offers 30-day money back period.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:53 PM   #229 (Print)
timckelley
Longhorn Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
TiVo still offers 30-day money back period.

Oops... You're right about that. I wonder if the following scam would work.

1. Subscribe
2. 3 weeks later cancel
3. 1 1/2 weeks later, go back to step 1 and repeat ad infinitum.

Admittedly even if this worked, you'd be living without a hookup 1/3 of the time, but since the guide data goes out 2 weeks, you'd always have guide data.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:05 PM   #230 (Print)
dgh

I would assume that if any significant number of people did that, then they'd one day find a new clause in their "new" TiVo service agreement that says that the 30 day guarantee is once per customer or per TiVo or something like that.
dgh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post