TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2004, 11:21 AM   #301 (Print)
The Bird

Those with having trouble with missed recordings such as Appentice Friends or Will and Grace. Do you have a phone line connected? See this thread. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=154599

The Bird is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-16-2004, 04:44 PM   #302 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Send a message via AIM to Fofer
Yes, I have a phone line connected and it dials in successfully every day. I'm practically obsessive about checking my SP priorities and To Do list every 2 days or so. I had no other scheduled recordings, suggestions are turned off, and guide data is populated and up to date.

So last night I forced a call, restarted the unit, rejiggered my SP list to force a re-index, and deleted and readded the SP's in question... all in the "hopes" that I could avoid this in the future. Not sure we really can. It seems we're at the mercy of a system that has quite a few flaws, and I should consider myself lucky that I only missed these two shows!

What alarms me is that I'm hearing other people with similar (if not exactly the same) problem.

Side note: I really wish there were some way that users could collaborate to self-police things like this. It seems absurd to me that a SP for "Survivor" doesn't pick up the "Survivor Reunion" (where the winner is announced.) I'm noticing more and more "specials" and "reunions" and "results shows" where TiVo doesn't have the intelligence to link it to it's associated show. I wish users could submit tweaks to our guide data to make it work in a more "human" way.
Fofer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-16-2004, 04:56 PM   #303 (Print)
dr_mal
It's CWS time

Send a message via ICQ to dr_mal Send a message via AIM to dr_mal
Quote:
Originally posted by Fofer
Side note: I really wish there were some way that users could collaborate to self-police things like this.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...p?s=&forumid=10
dr_mal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-16-2004, 04:56 PM   #304 (Print)
aristoBrat

For Season Passes, it's not like TiVo looks at anything other than the 'code' that the show has int he guide data. I don't understand why networks don't just 'code' reunions, specials, and result shows the same as the regular show.

Until then, a Title Wish List for 'Survivor' narrowed to the Action/Reality (or whatever it's called) category will have to do...
aristoBrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-16-2004, 05:23 PM   #305 (Print)
cootie

Arrow Error in guide data

Hello, I am sort of new to this forum. I had joined about a year or so ago and can't remember what I signed is as. Anywho, I called into dtv today and after talking to three different people they said they pretty much didn't have a clue what was going on or when it would be fixed. The message wasn't really bothering me until I went to record something on one machine only to find I couldn't record on another machine because the guide only went out for a week. I give up. It is either cable messing with you or now it is dtv. You start getting too much of a good thing and you get spoiled.
cootie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-16-2004, 05:23 PM   #306 (Print)
mercurial
Contrails

Send a message via AIM to mercurial Send a message via Yahoo to mercurial
Quote:
Originally posted by dr_mal

I just wish when you subscribed to a forum, it would send you a summary of new threads once or twice a day? Even with that, I still have to check it all the time to see if an alert was posted. Wasn't technology supposed to make things easier?

Old 01-16-2004, 05:54 PM   #307 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally posted by dr_mal

Thanks for the reminder about the Season Pass Alert Forum, dr_mal. Interestingly enough, I was the one who made the suggestion to Dr. Bott that it be created in the first place, quite a few moons ago. And I'm happy he followed through with my suggestion, it's a worthwhile outlet for those who have the time and inclination to check it out.

Nevertheless, a forum where ardent TiVo users can share last minute alerts is not what I was suggesting in my post. Think about it -- a conscientious TiVo owner would have to remember to check in to that forum every 2 days or so, just to keep his/her eyes open for SP Alerts that might apply. I can say with confidence that this is not what any of us signed up for when we bought TiVo, and agreed to pay them a monthly fee. Perhaps if I could set up a "wish list" of sorts on the Season Pass Alert forum, and it would email me when a matching show pops up, then it would be more useful. In it's current incarnation, one has to constantly be on the "lookout" for glitches. A workable system, on the other hand, would alert me (or my TiVo) directly when there was something in need of attention.

More accurately, I was hinting at a system where users could, in a consistent manner, submit guide data tweaks that would (perhaps) make their way back into the Guide Data stream in time to make a difference.

Consider this: a web site form for TiVo customers to submit anomalies or suggestions to improve the guide data. This could include linking "specials" or "reunions," marking a repeat as such, or filling in episode descriptions where they don't exist. If (let's say) FIVE identical suggestions come in, then I imagine 1 or 2 TiVo employees could verify this information and introduce it into the guide data stream. Yes, there might be some bogus submissions for them to sift through, and some of the corrections might not make it to every unit in time... but if 25% of the necessary fixes make it through, it will be an improvement. As it stands now, TiVo seems to take a "hands off" approach in this regard. What they get from Tribune is what they deliver, for the most part. Yet we pay TiVo to maintain and provide this guide data as a service -- guide data that the very operation of our TiVo depends solely upon!

Many months back, guide data used to be tweaked as a favor to us -- IIRC, the first season of Survivor got a fix on the "reunion finale" just in time. Yet I haven't seen anything like this since then. And it's something I think TiVo should really look into, before the situation gets worse. I imagine it all comes down to their budget, and hiring the new employees to take care of this for their customer base just isn't a high priority right now. And that's a shame.

Last edited by Fofer : 01-16-2004 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:54 PM   #308 (Print)
sbhusted

Send a message via ICQ to sbhusted Send a message via AIM to sbhusted Send a message via Yahoo to sbhusted
Hmmm....

As I posted earlier, I have the 'display' problem but I also had a problem where when I tried to search for programs to record, it would 'hang' my system in the search and I would need to reset the unit.

I was told last week it would be resolved by the 14th, of course it wasn't. Anyways, our shows were recording and our season passes were working fine other than not being able to add any new ones.

Well, I went into settings, etc to look around. We never set up any favorite channels and the Channels we received we always had every one checked.

Well last night I decided to try again to set up a new season pass for my wife for The Apprentice. The search by title froze the system. I then tried to search by channel... and there were only 3 channels showing in the list of channels to record from. So I went into the setup and went into the area to set up favorite channels etc and noticed that only those 3 channels had a check next to them! So I re-selected to check all channels, went back in and VOILA! All the data was available and I could search programming again and set up season passes, programs to record, etc.

I have NO idea how it lost the channel data, but that seems to have been my culprit for my particular problem. But yes, I still have the message at the bottom of the screen that doesn't bother me in the least.

Old 01-16-2004, 06:02 PM   #309 (Print)
dr_mal
It's CWS time

Send a message via ICQ to dr_mal Send a message via AIM to dr_mal
Quote:
Originally posted by Fofer
More accurately, I was hinting at a system where users could, in a consistent manner, submit guide data tweaks that would (perhaps) make their way back into the Guide Data stream in time to make a difference.

Consider this: a web site form for TiVo customers to submit anomalies or suggestions to improve the guide data. This could include linking "specials" or "reunions," marking a repeat as such, or filling in episode descriptions where they don't exist. If (let's say) FIVE identical suggestions come in, then I imagine 1 or 2 TiVo employees could verify this information and introduce it into the guide data stream. Yes, there might be some bogus data, and some of the corrections might not make it to every unit in time... but if 25% of the necessary fixes make it through, it will be an improvement. As it stands now, TiVo seems to take a "hands off" approach in this regard. What they get from Tribune is what they deliver, for the most part. Yet we pay TiVo to maintain and provide this guide data as a service -- guide data that the very operation of our TiVo depends solely upon!

I double checked your post count and "registered since" before I left the snotty reply, but left it anyway. Sorry; I'm a little sleep deprived right now. You didn't deserve my reply.

I agree - it would be nice if TiVo could proactively massage the guide data a little to help us out, although I wonder if they'd be able to do the same tweaking for DirecTiVos. I like your idea about user-submitted guide data tweaks. If done properly, it could be a big help.
dr_mal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-16-2004, 06:08 PM   #310 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Re: Error in guide data

Quote:
Originally posted by cootie
Hello, I am sort of new to this forum. I had joined about a year or so ago and can't remember what I signed is as. Anywho, I called into dtv today and after talking to three different people they said they pretty much didn't have a clue what was going on or when it would be fixed. The message wasn't really bothering me until I went to record something on one machine only to find I couldn't record on another machine because the guide only went out for a week. I give up. It is either cable messing with you or now it is dtv. You start getting too much of a good thing and you get spoiled.

Welcome to the forum cootie, and your point is well put. We said the same thing last night -- we've gotten used to TiVo and have begun to trust it. We're spoiled at how well it does it's job, usually. And when it fails, we feel really let down. Especially when we were home and could have easily watched the show "the old fashioned way!"

Perhaps there could be a preference where our TiVo's could alert us (by way of a message on screen, or hey, an email) when a high priority SP won't be recording. I know they want to keep the system as simple as possible, but some heads-up to the customer would go a long way. Checking the To-Do list obsessively every day (and even then, realizing that this didn't help) sort of defeats the purpose.

It's as if we've replace the "blinking 12:00 on the VCR" with "shoddy Guide Data" as the new excuse. If it's not one thing, it's another. And IMHO, TiVo has technology to make this a non-issue.

I imagine the PVR technology that irons these "user experience" issues out will be the ultimate victor.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:14 AM   #311 (Print)
speedy4022

I don't think this problem will be fixed to soon I mean this problem talked about here http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=153772 the problem is with Monk and other USA network shows that do not include original air dates and has been going on for a long time without a fix. I just hope these minor glitches get straightened out soon.

Last edited by speedy4022 : 01-17-2004 at 03:47 AM.
speedy4022 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-17-2004, 01:49 AM   #312 (Print)
dishrich

Well, count me in as another w/SP problems. I set an SP last week f/Ab Fab on Oxygen. When I checked tonight to see if it recorded, it had NOT! (which frankly I was NOT expecting, since it had it scheduled right when I set the SP) I completely canceled the SP & redid it for Saturday's showing of the same episode & when I checked upcoming episodes, it had Saturday's rerun, along with the weekly new one next Friday. BUT, when I checked the SP a couple hours later, NONE of the episodes were scheduled, even though the SP was still active!

My SP for Sex & the City is intact & shows the correct upcoming episodes to be recorded, however.

I have a Philips & Hughes stock Series I & they both do EXACTLY the same thing w/Ab Fab - OH YEA, there's a BIG problem here!!!
dishrich is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-17-2004, 09:20 AM   #313 (Print)
subcook

It is definitely more than a display error. I have no data in my guide after 6:30pm on wed the 23rd. Also my standalone svr-2000 caught the will and grace move but my hdvr2 did not. nor did it catch the apprentice move. the data for the apprentice that it recorded on wed was as if it was the new show that did not air until thursday. also the NFL games tomorrow still list as nfc championship game, teams TBA. this should be updated by now.

oh yeah, NBC sucks for changing their times all around.

Andrew

subcook is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-17-2004, 06:36 PM   #314 (Print)
DJ Dollar Bill

Quote:
Originally posted by RSchyns
Is anyone seeing this acquiring program guide data issue on a virgin or non-modified dtivo?

Hello all. To answer your question, yes. And it has to be more than cosmetic. I have the Hughes series2 DTV Tivo, and my guide information is sporadic at best. My wife wants a session pass to American Idol, which starts in two days and using search by name brings up 0 results. Whats up ??? I have not yet made any mods to this unit, not even remote codes.
DJ Dollar Bill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-17-2004, 08:48 PM   #315 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

Well, my DSR600 which is unmodified, has this "problem" but I can do searches by title just fine. This is a sporadic problem whether it is cosmetic or not.

Regardless of the sporacity of it, it needs to be fixed.
(Is sporacity a word? Spellcheck didn't like it.)

Old 01-17-2004, 09:07 PM   #316 (Print)
psweig

sporadicity?

Old 01-18-2004, 12:22 AM   #317 (Print)
IWantMyDTiVo

Capricious

I've called TiVo a couple of times regarding the program guide message and have a couple of posts in this thread. I've had some slow remote issues, stuck yellow lights, 1 hour phone call data unpacking sessions, missed programs, and a couple of mystery reboots that never happened before the guide message showed up (the box was running so slow at the time of the reboots, it probably put me out of my mysery.)

My recorded is dead stock Sat T60 that "forgot" to record three programs over the last two days. These were NOT wish list programs. I had put them in over the last few days to a week and one of the programs that didn't record was today’s Motorweek on LA channel 24. I did some checking in my record To Do list and found "some" CBS evening news recordings missing (I program them by hand as I set them to record a minute early on weekdays). I don’t feel that we should have to play "To Do" list cop/babysitter.

Something else is going on and my temp is not out of bounds (47 - 50C [as it always has been]). Signal strength is excellent.

The "B" software was flaky enough. But now I'm running into problems that are similar to the Wishlist issues that others are running into. Customer Service is of no help. Pretty soon, I may be heading back to cable + stand along TiVo and that makes me very sad...
IWantMyDTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2004, 12:45 AM   #318 (Print)
aristoBrat

Re: Capricious

Quote:
Originally posted by IWantMyDTiVo
Pretty soon, I may be heading back to cable + stand along TiVo and that makes me very sad...

Hmmmmmm. It'd have to get a lot worse before I'd fork out $500 for a SA TiVo w/ Lifetime Service. DTV satellites would have to fall out of the sky before I'd ever give Cox Cable another one my dollars.

Having said that, I do understand the frustration. I haven't missed any programs yet <insert knockonwood.wav>, but I don't have the usual warm fuzzy feeling that normally comes with TiVo.
aristoBrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2004, 11:26 AM   #319 (Print)
Aquatic

I haven't missed anything either, but....that time may be approaching. I need to program up a SP for American Idol on my wife's machine, so...I'll do that tonight and we'll see if I can title search or if I have to wade through the guide data (if it's up to date) and make it happen that way.

I wonder if the "upgrade" is turned on still.. in case a person would "redo" their software to an earlier version, etc. Anyone tried anything like that? just curious.

HP PL5000N 50" Plasma
CP 3025, ch 66 & 73
DirecTV since 1996
Tivolutionary since 2002
Aquatic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2004, 11:43 AM   #320 (Print)
MikeekiM
Palindromer

I still haven't noticed or experienced anything other than the cosmetic defect of having the darn banner at the bottom...

What is the latest on when we can expect a fix!?!?!?!?

This has been a cosmetic problem for weeks!!!

Universal Remote: One For All - URC6131
Xantech Xtra Link2 (Remote Extender)
ChannelPlus 3025 Modulator/Video Distribution
MikeekiM is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2004, 01:48 PM   #321 (Print)
MixMasterMark

Clueless People

My unmodified DSR-6000 shows the message, but I have not had even 1 problem with guide data or programs not recording.

To blindly blame DirecTV for this "problem" that only a small minority of people are "having" is ludicrous. Nobody here knows the details of how TiVo's software works - perhaps if there's a download glitch and the checksum fails when your unit checks it's download, it knows it can only trust guide data up to a certain cutoff point; thus your guide data cuts off at a certain time and date. YOU JUST DON'T KNOW, and to blindly blame DirecTV or TiVo is to display your total ignorance at how DBS works. You all naively assume your receivers are getting full data streams all the time, and that's just not realistic at this particular time of year. Inversion layers in the atmosphere WILL play havoc with your downstream, causing data dropouts. Even on a clear day, you cannot see inversion layers with the naked eye.

All of you claim to be so "cutting edge"... "early adopters"... "tech savvy"... what a joke.

Flame on, kiddies. I know you will.
MixMasterMark is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2004, 01:58 PM   #322 (Print)
jfischer

Re: Clueless People

Quote:
Originally posted by MixMasterMark
Flame on, kiddies. I know you will.

MixedUpMark, as usual, wants you to blame sunspots, or bad cables, for DirecTVs problems.

Now it's "inversion layers". Funny how the picture is still perfect, yet MixedUpMark seems to think that these "inversion layers" are messing up just the guide portion of the datastream.

Maybe it's a combination of atmospheric reflection and refraction leading to an ionization of isotopes that's causing the problem. MixedUpMark, how does that one sound?
jfischer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2004, 01:58 PM   #323 (Print)
Fustanella
Homo sapiens tivus

My barely modified SAT-T60 shows the message, but I have not had even 1 problem with guide data or programs not recording.
Fustanella is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2004, 02:04 PM   #324 (Print)
tomo_kun
DJT0M0.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fustanella
My barely modified SAT-T60 shows the message, but I have not had even 1 problem with guide data or programs not recording.
Even when you view a showcase or go to pick programs to record, it dosnt show the message?

If there where inversion layers that mark is talking about, wouldnt the guide problem be alot more serious then just a cosmetic defect? Wouldnt the guide data problem be fixed after a while from it being downloaded consistantly and having it fixed and it just misread it from the inversion layers? Wouldnt my picture quality degrade ALOT from this?

My iTunes registry
Fresh new geeky Mac site, iOnMac!
tomo_kun is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2004, 02:06 PM   #325 (Print)
lorick
Green Bay Packer Fan

I am thinking it MAY be the "Rover" on Mars!!! It MAY be a small percentage of people that are having the "non-cosmetic" problems but it is enough of a group that it can not be pushed off as operator error. I am sick of babysitting my season passes to make sure I do not miss any recordings.

DirecTV since 09/09/1994
DirecTV TiVo since 09/17/2001
SA TiVo since 02/22/2005
DirecTV HR10-250 since 11/25/2005
lorick is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2004, 02:09 PM   #326 (Print)
tomo_kun
DJT0M0.

Question to all of the people with SP problems, do you have ALOT of SP'S?

My iTunes registry
Old 01-18-2004, 02:13 PM   #327 (Print)
drew2k
!revetahW

There is clearly an issue with many TiVos suddenly having problems searching for titles and programs not being recorded. This has been reported by numerous people in this thread and in others. Whether or not the strange behaviors are related to the "cosmetic" issue of the acquiring message is unknown to us, but to many people, their TiVos are not functioning with the same reliability they have become accustomed to. It's natural for the two situations to be linked: I have a message about guide data and I'm having problems recording or finding titles? Well they seem to be related, so that's they way it "becomes". To call these people experiencing problems clueless is ignorant and just plain immature.

Old 01-18-2004, 02:15 PM   #328 (Print)
lorick
Green Bay Packer Fan

Quote:
Question to all of the people with SP problems, do you have ALOT of SP'S?

Two of my four DirecTivos are having the problem. One of them has only 4 SP's and the other has 10-15 SP's.

DirecTV since 09/09/1994
DirecTV TiVo since 09/17/2001
SA TiVo since 02/22/2005
DirecTV HR10-250 since 11/25/2005
lorick is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-18-2004, 02:18 PM   #329 (Print)
tomo_kun
DJT0M0.

Quote:
Originally posted by lorick
Two of my four DirecTivos are having the problem. One of them has only 4 SP's and the other has 10-15 SP's.
Ok, i am not having any problems and my TiVo has up to 20-30 SP'S 2 of wich are wishlists. The less SP's you have, the lazyer it gets

My iTunes registry
Old 01-18-2004, 02:52 PM   #330 (Print)
hockeynut

I have 2 HDVR2s - one is bone stock, the other upgraded to 144 hrs w/Maxtor 120g drive.

Both of 'em have this problem.

HR10-250 HD DirecTivo driving 43" Panny plasma
HDVR2 DirecTivo
hockeynut is offline Report Bad Post Report Post