TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2004, 11:30 AM   #241 (Print)
sbhusted

Send a message via ICQ to sbhusted Send a message via AIM to sbhusted Send a message via Yahoo to sbhusted
Quote:
Originally posted by pcridd
I'll throw my hat into the ring of those who think that the "Acquiring Program Guide data" messages currently being displayed on the DirecTV with TiVo receivers represent more than a cosmetic issue. Similar to others, I have experienced the following since this message started appearing in late December:

I will have to agree with you there. BTW - This is my first post in the forums, so hello everyone!

We had noticed everything being much slower ever since the turn of the year... but we didn't realize how big of a problem we had until last night when my wife attempted to add The Apprentice to our season pass.

We have had the message at the bottom for almost 2 weeks now (since the turn of the year) but when we go into "Find programs to record" - when we select search it just hangs. I have to reboot the system.

I called DirecTV last night and they had me do the walk through of rebooting, etc. I then did a manual dial in connection - which it did successfully as it had on the 9th as well. But whenever we go into the search to find a program to record, the system just hangs.

Everything else seems to be functioning properly. I believe all our season passes have recorded, etc.

I finally spoke to a Tier2 technician last night and he said it was a known 'issue' and that they expected it to clear up (but he was clear that what he was saying was just his opinion only) after the 14th - 2 weeks after the turn of the year as the new Hughes 2 units store 2 weeks of programming.

I have no idea what is true, isn't true or not accurate - but this problem is certainly more than just cosmetic!

Old 01-12-2004, 11:46 AM   #242 (Print)
Dmon4u
Unresponsive User

Finally made my call. Here's the 2 cent version:

Used regular "5000" number. The woman who answered was pleasant but spent 5 minutes looking for any reported problems in regard to TiVo. She said that "nothing has been reported", yet !

Uh-huh !

She, then, transfered me to TiVo Support. The man who answered sounds rather sleepy. He, also said that there was nothing reported and, at first, tried to tell me that it may just be my unit. I quickly stated that many people are reporting the same problem on this forum. He excused himself, to talk to a Supervisor. Three minutes latter he said that it's (now) a known problem and that they should have a fix shortly. I asked a few more questions, but as expected he could provide no details.

* Has D's Service fallen to Comcast levels ?

Old 01-12-2004, 11:52 AM   #243 (Print)
Semarin

Send a message via ICQ to Semarin
Yep, same response I got when I called last week when I noticed my season passes for night didn't record at all. The original CSR acted clueless, then when I pushed the issue a little more, he put me on hold only to come back 10 seconds later saying oh yah it's a known issue that should be fixed "soon". Ridiculous
Semarin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2004, 11:59 AM   #244 (Print)
dr_mal
It's CWS time

Send a message via ICQ to dr_mal Send a message via AIM to dr_mal
Look, TiVo's already acknowledged here that it's a software problem, it's isn't going to go away after any specific amount of time, it's going to take a software push. I'm sure the engineers in Alviso are working hard at getting the software fix available (as a professional software developer myself, I'm confident that a date-triggered display issue can be fixed quickly) for D* to roll out. No amount of calls to D* will be able to change a darn thing. Let's just everybody sit back, relax, and wait for the software push.

If you are seeing functional problems, by all means tell TiVoOpsMgr your TSN so he can look into your logs.

Old 01-12-2004, 12:25 PM   #245 (Print)
psweig

Quote:
Originally posted by dr_mal
Look, TiVo's already acknowledged here that it's a software problem, it's isn't going to go away after any specific amount of time, it's going to take a software push. I'm sure the engineers in Alviso are working hard at getting the software fix available (as a professional software developer myself, I'm confident that a date-triggered display issue can be fixed quickly) for D* to roll out. No amount of calls to D* will be able to change a darn thing. Let's just everybody sit back, relax, and wait for the software push.

If you are seeing functional problems, by all means tell TiVoOpsMgr your TSN so he can look into your logs.

While I agree that this is terrible for many people, I can't help but agree with you. In the first place, it would appear that "acquiring Program Data" is, in fact, an accurate statement. They are using spare bandwidth to stream the program data continuously, so that are *always* acquiring program data. This also might slow everything down because the processor is busier in real time (a problem with an otherwise good idea). The rest of it is bugs, and I resent being used for beta testing without asking me.

Old 01-12-2004, 01:34 PM   #246 (Print)
Ghenghis

Exclamation

Quote:
TiVo Ops Mgr sent me a PM a couple of days ago me to let me know that the acquiring guide data message is due to a timing issue, but that he can't post officially without DTV permission. He also said that TiVo has reviewed hundreds of Direct-TiVos and could not find a relation between the acquiring guide data message and the SP problems, but anyone having these problems should report their Service Number to him so they could investigate further.

I had the same experience. TiVoOpsMgr PM'ed me and said that the erroneous display message is being experienced on thousands of DTivos that they've looked at, and that the SP problems (and others, like slow response) are not related. He asked that you PM your TSN to him if you are experiencing problems beyond the erroneous message. If you want your problem looked at, PM him your TSN.

My problem (lack of guide data being acquired at all) cleared when I deleted the oldest item in Now Playing (in "save until I delete" status, and over two months old), powered down the TiVo for 45 minutes and then rebooted. I don't know whether which or both of these two actions fixed the problem.

Old 01-12-2004, 02:02 PM   #247 (Print)
djbrown

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghenghis
My problem (lack of guide data being acquired at all) cleared when I deleted the oldest item in Now Playing (in "save until I delete" status, and over two months old), powered down the TiVo for 45 minutes and then rebooted. I don't know whether which or both of these two actions fixed the problem.

Was this a fix suggested by anyone, or just something you tried? And when you state "lack of guide data being acquired at all", do you to state that your schedule grid was, essentially. all "To be announced", or your season passes weren't pulling them in despite them being in the guide?
djbrown is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2004, 02:21 PM   #248 (Print)
emayracing
TiVo-holic

Quote:
Originally posted by TWood
According to NBC's web page, episode 1 of The Apprentice will be re-run on Wednesday 1/14. Episode 2 will air on Thursday 1/15. So the program guide (at least mine) is correct.

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/header/TV_Sc...y-20040114.html
http://www.nbc.com/nbc/header/TV_Sc...y-20040115.html

This is one example where the Guide Data IMPRESSED me. Originally, it had Apprentice scheduled for WED, but then, one day, it suddenly moved it to THU ar 7:32 (CT). So, it was actually smart enough to realize NBC made Wed a re-run and created a new one on THU. (Apprentice is on my SP)

That impressed me.
emayracing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2004, 03:02 PM   #249 (Print)
Ghenghis

Quote:
Originally posted by djbrown
Was this a fix suggested by anyone, or just something you tried? And when you state "lack of guide data being acquired at all", do you to state that your schedule grid was, essentially. all "To be announced", or your season passes weren't pulling them in despite them being in the guide?

Heres my original post that describes the problem:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...119#post1628119

No one suggested this fix - it was a guess on my part, for lack of anything better to try.

Old 01-12-2004, 04:08 PM   #250 (Print)
GoodSpike

I've had the message for awhile and finally came here to see what it was about.

The only problem we've had is some episodes of Friends didn't record that should have, but that was probably 3-4 weeks ago, and I think before this new message appeared.

Old 01-12-2004, 04:10 PM   #251 (Print)
srs5694

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghenghis

Old items in Now Playing certainly shouldn't cause problems, and they don't in at least some situations. I've got a couple of items on mine (an SAT-T60 with a 120GB drive upgrade) that are over a year old, and I don't have problems with guide data. It's more likely that a bug of some sort caused the TiVo's current state to get "out of whack" such that it couldn't acquire guide data, and the system reset cleared the system's state in such a way that it fixed the problem.
srs5694 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2004, 04:46 PM   #252 (Print)
SouthTivo

Count me in with the same "Acquiring guide data .... " issue.

Hasn't killed any Season Passes that I've noticed. But my Tivo Suggestions are acting up: went through it on Friday and gave thumbs to everything, which left like five titles I wanted to keep (note I do not have it auto-recording these, I just let it suggest and then rate what it comes up with).

This morning, the Suggestions page was totally empty. Nothing. Normally would have 20 or 30 things after a weekend.

Checked it again about 10 minutes ago and the five thumbs up titles are back along with the expected 20 or 30 other titles.

Maybe this is normal. I don't know.

I have also had strange problems with the access card expiring on one tuner while the other one continues to work normally.

SouthTivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2004, 10:56 PM   #253 (Print)
A.C.

This is a really big problem. I did a clear program guide and to do list, before I saw this post. Next thing I know, no season passes, and no wishlist. It's all messed up. Why can't they just get this thing right. I'm gonna go back to 2.5.2

Do my calls over the internet so I don't get update....unless they get a fix.

Home Theater Sony STR-DB830
A.C. is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2004, 11:08 PM   #254 (Print)
srs5694

A.C., do not bother to go back to 2.5.2 in the hopes that it'll fix the problem; it won't. I've got 2.5.2 on my SAT-T60, and it's got the "acquiring data" problem -- or at least, the cosmetic problem. My unit is still scheduling recordings, but then, so are most of the units running more recent software. The hints we've gotten from the TiVo folks is that more serious problems aren't related to the "acquiring data" cosmetic problem, so you should contact DirecTV and/or send a message to TiVoOpsMgr with your account information, as others have posted earlier in the thread, to have your problem investigated.
srs5694 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2004, 11:39 PM   #255 (Print)
dr_mal
It's CWS time

Send a message via ICQ to dr_mal Send a message via AIM to dr_mal
Quote:
Originally posted by A.C.
I did a clear program guide<snip>

I deleted all my guide data and now I have no guide data! TiVo sucks!

I really need to unsub from this thread before I go totally nuts (I know, short trip)
dr_mal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-13-2004, 06:46 AM   #256 (Print)
pcridd

I went ahead and restarted my HDVR2/3 last night (1/12), partly due to Ghenghis' experience, and partly due to the fact that I knew if I called, the CSR would likely have me do it anyway before passing me up to Tier 2 support. I checked in on it this morning, and here are the results:

BEFORE:
- "Acquiring Program Guide Data" message displayed
- "Pick Programs to Record" menus noticeably slower
- Guide data (as stated under System Information): through 1/12
- Guide data (based on To Do List): through 1/14
- Software version: 3.1.1b-02-2-151

AFTER:
- "Acquiring Program Guide Data" message displayed
- "Pick Programs to Record" menu speed resolved
- Guide data (as stated under System Information): through 1/13
- Guide data (based on To Do List): through 1/25
- Software version: 3.1.1b-02-2-151

Prior to the restart, my last call was early on 1/12, and lasted 3h 46m. So, my uninformed opinion is that either the restart fixed whatever functional problems were occurring, or I got a bug fix by phone early on the 12th, and I simply manually pre-empted what might have been a forced 2:00 am restart if I had not done it myself.
pcridd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-13-2004, 10:12 AM   #257 (Print)
mercurial
Contrails

Send a message via AIM to mercurial Send a message via Yahoo to mercurial
Quote:
Originally posted by pcridd

Prior to the restart, my last call was early on 1/12, and lasted 3h 46m. So, my uninformed opinion is that either the restart fixed whatever functional problems were occurring, or I got a bug fix by phone early on the 12th, and I simply manually pre-empted what might have been a forced 2:00 am restart if I had not done it myself.

I can't imagine them sending out a fix and not updating the version number in some way. That would make it awfully hard to track issues to the correct codebase when people call in problems...

Old 01-13-2004, 11:48 AM   #258 (Print)
erinb

Quote:
Originally posted by drew2k

I also have a problem with a new SP I created yesterday for Monk on USA. The season premiere is 1/16, and right after I created the SP for first run only, the To Do list correctly showed the 1/16 episode would be recorded, but the all-day marathon of repeats would be skipped. Today, however, the show was not listed in my To Do list, nor was it in the Recording History. I changed the options on the SP to First Run + Repeat, and then all eps were scheduled to record. I changed it back to First Run only, and again no episodes are scheduled to record. Not sure why yesterday the SP was doing its job on Monk, and today it's not.

I also had the same problem - i had to choose the "record this episode also" for the Monk season premiere. Also, I've noticed since this acquiring pgm data thing started, there are a couple of PPV channels that say TBA.

I hate babysitting my tivo.

erin
erinb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-13-2004, 12:35 PM   #259 (Print)
TwinCityTVHound

Missing SP shows

I had the same problem with the "Monk" premiere. The guide doesn't go far enough into the future to see if it will pick up other new episodes, but I'm not optimistic.

Has anyone on this thread been able to resolve the Season Pass issue by working with TiVoOpsMgr? Or anyone else?

Any other ideas?

TwinCityTVHound is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-13-2004, 12:57 PM   #260 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Monk isn't a TiVo problem, it's a USA Network problem (they don't submit episode information to Tribune which would allow the TiVo software to properly handle their shows).

Old 01-13-2004, 02:06 PM   #261 (Print)
erinb

season premiere

Actually, the episode listing stated that it was the season premiere therefore indicating that it was a new program.... shouldn't that have been enough for tivo to have known that it fit my "only new programs" criteria?

whoever said this forum was addicting was right.

getting nothing done in beantown,
erin
erinb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-13-2004, 02:50 PM   #262 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Re: season premiere

Quote:
Originally posted by erinb
Actually, the episode listing stated that it was the season premiere therefore indicating that it was a new program.... shouldn't that have been enough for tivo to have known that it fit my "only new programs" criteria?
No, TiVo doesn't "read" the episode listing to determine whether this particular episode should be recorded. I forget the exact details, but there are "hidden" fields for things like Original Air Date that TiVo goes by (you can see some of these by hitting "guide" when in an episode's listing), and some cable networks are not very good about supplying this information (USA is probably the worst offender).

Old 01-13-2004, 04:31 PM   #263 (Print)
jp3008

won't set season pass for "Real Time with Bill Maher"

I attempted to set a season pass for "Real Time with Bill Maher" on HBO... the new season starts off this Friday @ 8 p.m. When I view upcoming episodes it shows them but it won't select any of the episodes to record.

Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks much...
jp3008 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-13-2004, 04:45 PM   #264 (Print)
djbrown

Re: won't set season pass for "Real Time with Bill Maher"

Quote:
Originally posted by jp3008
I attempted to set a season pass for "Real Time with Bill Maher" on HBO... the new season starts off this Friday @ 8 p.m. When I view upcoming episodes it shows them but it won't select any of the episodes to record.

Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks much...

My Season Pass from last year has caught the new ones. In your case, I'd create the SP and then dig into Recording History to see if there's an entry for an episode you want recorded. If it doesn't turn up there, it sounds like an indexing problem that some folks have (including myself) have reported happening on some problems on some tivos.
djbrown is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-13-2004, 04:57 PM   #265 (Print)
drew2k
!revetahW

Quote:
Originally posted by Medieval Guy
Monk isn't a TiVo problem, it's a USA Network problem (they don't submit episode information to Tribune which would allow the TiVo software to properly handle their shows).
Rob - I'm still not sure if it's Tribune or the TiVo at fault with Monk for me. A few minutes after creating a First Run Only SP for Monk, my To Do list showed the 10 PM ET episode as the only upcoming episode to be recorded. The next day, though, the To Do list showed no episodes of Monk were to be recorded. Either TiVo screwed up the first day, or the guide data for Monk initially included data in the hidden fields that the 10 PM ET showing was NOT a repeat, but then USA/Tribune supplied new "dumbed-down" data for the same showing causing TiVo to remove it from the To Do list. I can't see why USA/Tribune would provide useful data and then rescind it, but that's the only "legitimate" way I can think of to explain what my TiVo did. If USA/Tribune didn't alter the data for this showing, then my TiVo screwed up when it initially scheduled the recording right after the SP was created.

Old 01-13-2004, 05:07 PM   #266 (Print)
TomP

Question

I got the same problem and would like to know, is this for all Tivos or just the DTV?
Also someone said that we can't do anything about it back in an earlier post, but we can always tell Tivo or DTV not to bill us until its fixed. That may help.
TomP
TomP is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-13-2004, 07:45 PM   #267 (Print)
Commatoze
Dieselholic

Dear TivoOopsMgr,

Thank you for being so forthcoming in revealing the gaff in your software. We all appreciate you posting this to the forum. After looking at that message for 13 days, I figured I'd check the board and sure enough, here it was. Now that the niceties are dispensed with I must ask, how much longer are we going to have to stare at that banner? I mean, it been 13 days! Surely, there must be someone there who can write a patch for the code? This isn't rocket science.....wait...ok.... maybe it is. And while you're at it, can you please write something for that "Window" button? Thanks,

I remain, your loyal subject, Commatoze....

Last edited by Commatoze : 01-13-2004 at 07:52 PM.
Commatoze is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-13-2004, 09:00 PM   #268 (Print)
dd9

If DTV starts getting continuous daily calls on the problem, maybe that will kick their butt in to high gear. I call once a day now to let them know I still have the problem. How many of these units do they have? That's a lot of calls every day.....
dd9 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-13-2004, 09:24 PM   #269 (Print)
TomP

I called DTV today after my last post and they were reluctant to give me any info until I explained I already had knowledge of the problem and was just checking to see when it would be fixed. All they would say was the engineers were working on it.
I also requested a credit ($4.99 Mo) to be credited to my account for the problem. They told me when I got my bill to call and it would be credited back to my account.
I know its not much but now days, every little bit helps.
Give them a call and complain and maybe we will get it fixed.
Best Regards To All:
TomP
TomP is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2004, 12:26 AM   #270 (Print)
sbhusted

Send a message via ICQ to sbhusted Send a message via AIM to sbhusted Send a message via Yahoo to sbhusted
Not to beat a dead horse here.. but I'm just wondering if anyone else is having the same symptoms I am...

I can dial in and connect just fine, and my Season Passes all seem to be working so far.

However, I have the message (obviously), but I can't add any new programs to record through the search feature because any attempt to search just freezes my system up.

Just curious.. thanks!

Scott

P.S. - I sure hope this problem solves itself on the 14th to 15th.