Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-28-2005, 12:53 PM   #1 (Print)
RandallW

Question What Upgrade Should I Do?

Alright, I just recently moved with DirectTV to a new location. I had one DirectTivo (Pre-R10 unit, but has 80GB HD), and added a second just standard DirectTV receiver. With the move & receiver, I'm on a new one-year contract and the install costed nothing for me (free with the move). I have the DirecTivo with the small tv, and the receiver in the projector room (just one satellite line there, now I realized I should have asked for two).

Ok, now what to do. Should I go to best buy and get the R10 model ($100, F-A-R), and then hire the guys to come out and run another line from my satellite? Or should I try to run the line myself? Or would DirectTV cover the insallation, and I don't have to pay anything again? =P

Or should I just get their R15 model, and they would probably cover the installation, and I'll have both the DirectTivo, and the DirectTV DVR, in case they do something nice with their DVR. (and if I have both, it's still just one $5.99 dvr charge, right?)

That's a lot of questions. =P But yeah, try to help me out if ya can. Thanks.
RandallW is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 01:08 PM   #2 (Print)
cmtar
Long live the R15!!

Get the R15
cmtar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 01:10 PM   #3 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

I would run the extra coax myself. I'll assume you have the Phase III triple LNB dish. How many lines are run from it now? If it is less than four, make sure that four are run whether you do it yourself or have it hired. Have these four lines run to a common location, where you distribute to your receiver locations.

And yes, the one DVR fee covers all DVRs on the account. All you have to pay extra is the $4.99 mirroring fee. But if you replace a standard receiver with a DVR, this is a wash.

Regardless of where you buy the extra DVR, you'll be required to have a new one year contract. However. I think it just resets the start date of that one year. So in your case this could be just a month or so. But, it may also be a two year contract.

Old 12-28-2005, 01:16 PM   #4 (Print)
RandallW

Yes, I do have the Phase III LNB dish. Currently it has 3 lines out, two to the DirecTivo, one line to the D* receiver (which was a spliced line from a previous Comcast install. =P).

I believe with the DVR activation, it renews a 2 year contract, though it's almost a no brainer, because it's a pro-rated $300 fee, or you just return the receiver to D* (which was Free After Rebate). =P It's a nice loophole that it's free. =P
RandallW is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 01:42 PM   #5 (Print)
john-duncan-yoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtar
Get the R15

Actually this might make sense if you plan on removing the hard drive from the R15 and installing it in the R10 after the installation.