Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2005, 07:40 AM   #1 (Print)
ToroGuns

Picture improvement w/LCD TV with R10?

I have a regular 24" Sony now and I'm thinking of getting a 26" wide screen (SONY 26" HDTV Ready LCD TV KLVS26A10) LCD.

My question... Will my TV picture improve with the LCD screen without the HD function? Just normal DirecTv signals. I'm not getting HDTV.

Thanks for your time.
ToroGuns is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 08:26 AM   #2 (Print)
Guindalf
Master Of My Domain

I can't speak for the Sony specifically, but when I upgraded the bedroom TV to a Vizio 32" LCD from Sam's (from a Magnavox 27" CRT), the PQ improved tremendously.

Although it's only a Philips SD D*TiVo, the PQ on MNF is really sharp and clear.

NE Georgia Motorcycling? Visit foothillsmc.com

Last edited by Guindalf : 12-29-2005 at 10:17 AM.
Guindalf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 09:32 AM   #3 (Print)
ToroGuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guindalf
I can't speak for the Sony specifically, but when I upgraded the bedroom TV to a Visio 32" LCD from Sam's (from a Magnavox 27" CRT), the PQ improved tremendously.

Although it's only a Philips SD D*TiVo, the PQ on MNF is really sharp and clear.

Thanks, appreciate the info. I'm wondering if I should spend the $1239 for this new set.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:16 AM   #4 (Print)
Guindalf
Master Of My Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroGuns
Thanks, appreciate the info. I'm wondering if I should spend the $1239 for this new set.

I say go for it! If I were you, I'd take a look at the 32" Vizio first, though. It may not have the Sony name, but it's a bigger screen, has HDTV and HDMI and runs at under a grand! In fact, it's under $900 now! I know Sam's has it and, I believe, Costco too.

NE Georgia Motorcycling? Visit foothillsmc.com
Guindalf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 11:30 AM   #5 (Print)
ToroGuns

I'd take a look at the 32" Vizio

----------------------

I'm stuck for space at 28" max, that's why this Sony with the speakers along the bottom will work for me.

If there was a 28" TV with below speakers, I'd get it.

Thanks for the advice...
Old 12-29-2005, 12:14 PM   #6 (Print)
rkester
Objects in Mirror...

Dunno if my 2cents matter but anyhoo.... I recently just went from a 32" 4:3 SDTV to a 42" 16:9 HDTV.

The quality on my old tv with my tivo rocked. I got compliments on how clear and crisp the picture was.

With the new TV, the picture went from good to poor. Now I see all the artifacting and compression bits etc. I'm sure the size of the picture is part of that, and the quality of the TV itself. But if my experience is any indication, you shouldnt see a PQ increase, if anything it should decrease. Seems that the better quality TV will bring out the nasties you didnt notice before.

Old 12-29-2005, 03:10 PM   #7 (Print)
RonP

Gotta agree with rkester. Any large digital display TV (LCD, DLP, LCOS, Plasma, etc) will make the compression and HD-up-scaling artifacts of the DirecTV signal very noticible. IMO you see much less of this with the classic 3-tube bigscreen.

It's the nature of the technology. The digital displays have a fixed resolution. A pixel is a pixel and there's no gradient between them. Artifacts are clean and crisp. The 3-tube bigscreens, using a lit-up phosporous "blob", tend to blend and disperse the artifacts so they're less noticable.

That being said, you can reduce the problem by calibrating your TV, part of which involves reducing the brightness, contrast, and sharpness from the factory presets.

I'm by no means a vinyl LP nut who swears they sound better than CDs, but I have not seen a large digital TV that has a better picture (especially for Sat TV) than my 3-year-old 52" Pioneer 3-tube big screen.

Don't buy unless you can preview it with a sat signal or are guaranteed that you can return it for a 100% refund.

Old 12-29-2005, 03:22 PM   #8 (Print)
rkester
Objects in Mirror...

If I do NOT stretch the 4:3 picture to fit the screen, it doesnt look too bad. But its still quite different from what I am used to seeing on the screen from my DTV equipment.

Im sure that the DTivo units do look a tiny bit better than a dtv+tivo since the signal is not recompressed.

But I do agree, make sure to see it in action before making a decision. However DONT let a little artifacting sway you, because it will not always be like that as HD becomes normal.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:01 PM   #9 (Print)
ToroGuns

Thanks again for the input... I'm going to CC and BB to see the screens and hopefully see one with just regular Dtivo.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:27 PM   #10 (Print)
flmgrip

TURN DOWN THE SHARPNESS SETTINGS. i love my 60 inch lcd RP. SD and HD.
flmgrip is offline Report Bad Post Report Post