Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-20-2004, 11:51 AM   #1 (Print)
aguillen

Send a message via AIM to aguillen
Which is the best forum to discuss this?

I have a neighbor that is moving to Greece and has asked me to record her currenlty scheduled recordings, download to DVD and mail to her in Greece, in exchange I get to keep her Tivo2 with lifetime subscription.

Yes - I read the disclaimer on this forum, I also read the disclaimer on the others, so don't really know where is the best place to ask this question.

1 - Is what she's proposing legal? She's not reproducing anything, just watching the shows she normally would if she were still living in the U.S.

2 - I would be burning the movies onto my PowerBook DVD burner. What is the recommended method for connection?

3 - I read the FAQ's (which were no help) and did a search on the forum for this answer only to find links to outdated help sites.

4 - Is Tivo2Go going to be released? Is this the product that could best help me?

Thanks for any assistance.
aguillen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2004, 01:58 PM   #2 (Print)
crow
Ub3r Techno Geek

Send a message via AIM to crow
1) Technically yes, it is illegal. Since she's not paying for the actual cable or sat or w/e, hence she's not paying for the copyrighted media that she wishes to consume. Same as burning a copy of a movie or CD for your buddy. However, I doubt the RIAA or MPAA will hunt either of you down for it.

2) At this point there is no legit way to get video from the TiVo to the PC/Laptop w/o disabling encryption and extracting the video, which is evil and will infact make you go bald and/or blind. Plus it requires hacking the TiVo.

3) Try the "other" site for more info on illegit methods of video xfer as you will not find info for it on this board. See #3.

4) Yes, it should be out any time now and will allow you to do exactly what you described. At this point if you have no inclination to hack said TiVo then T2G is the only product that will help you.

GL,

--CroW

1 Upgraded to 310 Hours.
All With JavaHMO.
All with TiVoWebPlus/Telnet/FTP/MRV/BackDoors Enabled and Encryption Disabled..

A life? What's that? I have this TiVo, see ... and its all-consuming and all-powerful. And all I can do is stare at the glorious results of its workings.
-- ashutoshsm
crow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2004, 08:08 PM   #3 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

Another point of legaility, would be export of those programs (especially privately recorded from a TV showing), or importation into Greece.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2004, 07:20 PM   #4 (Print)
OvrrDrive

nm

Last edited by OvrrDrive : 12-21-2004 at 07:38 PM.
OvrrDrive is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2004, 01:52 PM   #5 (Print)
wkozun

Many TV shows are available on the internet almost immediately after airing, although some of those sites have been closed down. If your friend has a high speed internet connection in Greece then that is an option to consider - they could also watch the shows within a few hours of the airing in the US. Check out sharetv.net
wkozun is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2004, 02:06 PM   #6 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

Those torrent sites are blatantly illegal though.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post