July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2005, 02:24 PM   #1 (Print)
Bananfish
Preowned Member

Issues w/Vizio P50HDM with HR10-250/D*?

The wife says that she's tired of the giant 57" Toshiba rear projector taking up so much space in our family room, and she wants me to buy a wall-mounted flat-screen TV. Well, if I have to, I have to.

I've done my research and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Vizio P50HDM plasma from Costco. I gave serious consideration to Panasonic's 50 inch plasmas, but the Vizio is a terrific bang for the buck and has twice as many inputs as the Pannys.

Are there any issues with using the Vizio P50HDM with the HR10-250 that I should know about before I buy? (I've heard about the HDMI issue with some Vizios, but I understand there's no such problem with the 50 inch model.)

Are there any issues with using the Vizio P50HDM with DirecTV?

DVD: Philips Q50
HTIB: Onkyo HT-S650

Last edited by Bananfish : 11-04-2005 at 02:41 PM.
Bananfish is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-04-2005, 06:38 PM   #2 (Print)
kgclark75

I've got the P50HDM and have no problems with the HD Tivo. I used to have the 42" Vizio and DID have the HDMI problem with that unit, thankfully the 50" works just fine.
kgclark75 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-04-2005, 09:18 PM   #3 (Print)
pdawg17
Here's Julia!!

I have no problems with that combo either...it is a fantastic tv...

Old 11-07-2005, 06:46 PM   #4 (Print)
pecocus

Ditto here... very happy with the Vizio and works well with 250.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:52 PM   #5 (Print)
JohnB1000

There's a huge Vizio thread at avsforum that might give lots of input.

I have had the Vizio for about a week and I think it's going to go back (for 57 inch monster hitachi ironically). All that I watch is SD and the picture is just not good enough for my taste.

I've had some other issues also which may not be the TV's fault.

a) Drop out of picture from the DVD Player over HDMI
b) flickering of the picture over s-video, particulary if the show/ad has black bars.

It's great with the DVD and probably great with HD (can't get anything good ) and I'm not saying don't buy it.

It's also darned heavy which suprised me, I was expecting something lighter. It's not easy to move around because it's not got any natural places to grab onto.
JohnB1000 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 02:11 AM   #6 (Print)
AirShark
KI6AZD, TiVo Tamer

I'm considering buying one, but I'm also waiting for the Cablecard Standalone TiVo to hit the market to actually upgrade to HD programming. The upgrade to DirecTV HD without a standalone TiVo gives me the willies ;-)

My Question for you current owners: How is the Standard Definition Standalone S2 TiVo on this set? Is it horrible? About the same as a standard-def tv, or a step down? What kind of quality would I be in for during my waiting period in the transition to HD signal?

Old 12-28-2005, 01:02 PM   #7 (Print)
Sskeeter

We have the Viz50/HR10-250 combo and are quite happy with it. The only issue I've seen is audio sync on some of the HD channels with Discovery being really bad at times. After doing some digging in the forums the conclusion is that the problem is with the networks not the hardware.

As far as watching SD on the Vizio it's not bad. Any fixed pixel big screen will amplify the flaws in SD and make you wish everything HD. I don't think the Vizio sucks anymore or less with SD.
Sskeeter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 01:37 PM   #8 (Print)
jberger

I've got both the HDTivo and an R-10 connected to a Vizio p50HD.

While the r10 is certainly watchable, I wouldn't buy an HD Plasma, if all you are going to watch is SD material.

Other than gaining some floorspace by hanging it on the wall, you aren't going to improve on the picture you already have with an analog RPTV and you might even see a worse picture, considering the Plasma will require scaling and deinterlacing.

Since you will spend $2500 bucks on a new TV and $250 on the stand or bracket, why not spend a little more and get the HD Tivo and OTA tuner to go with the set?
jberger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 03:16 PM   #9 (Print)
AirShark
KI6AZD, TiVo Tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberger
I've got both the HDTivo and an R-10 connected to a Vizio p50HD.

While the r10 is certainly watchable, I wouldn't buy an HD Plasma, if all you are going to watch is SD material.

Other than gaining some floorspace by hanging it on the wall, you aren't going to improve on the picture you already have with an analog RPTV and you might even see a worse picture, considering the Plasma will require scaling and deinterlacing.

Since you will spend $2500 bucks on a new TV and $250 on the stand or bracket, why not spend a little more and get the HD Tivo and OTA tuner to go with the set?

Well....here's why :-) :

1. I want a standalone TiVo for the MRV features, extra goodies, and the ability to transfer .mpg files (Extracted DVD's and other content) from my PC.
2. I live in Hollister, CA. (I.E. - The boonies) The number of OTA reciever channels that I would get would be minimal....very minimal.
3. If I stay with Satellite, I have to upgrade the dish I have for HD reception...and since I don't trust DirecTV's installer monkeys to do the work, this would be at a substantial cost to me.
4. Since TiVo does not have a current standalone HD reciever...there's not one for me to buy.
5. I have a 27inch set now...the pure size would be an upgrade for me.
6. DVD watching and XBOX360 playing would be a better experience.

So...what I would be looking at is watching Standard-def content until my Cable Co (Charter) offers HD in my area...or until TiVo releases a standalone box that can either take HD cablecard or an HDMI output from a DirecTV reciever.

Old 12-28-2005, 05:16 PM   #10 (Print)
TheBigDogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananfish
The wife says that she's tired of the giant 57" Toshiba rear projector taking up so much space in our family room, and she wants me to buy a wall-mounted flat-screen TV. Well, if I have to, I have to.

Any chance you might want to rent your wife out for a few days? Mine could use some training in the area of home decoration and it sounds like yours really knows her stuff.

Thanks.
TheBigDogs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post