July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2005, 11:03 AM   #1 (Print)
UmAnOnion
It's a KILT, G-D it!

Send a message via AIM to UmAnOnion Send a message via Yahoo to UmAnOnion
Question accessing files of an EXTERNAL hard drive...

I think i know the answer to this already but figure you guys know a hell of a lot more than I on this topic so am giving it a shot...

Can you access files from an EXTERNAL hard drive connected to your Tivo via the USB ports?

I am having a party sunday & want to set up a slide show on my TV of pics from my hard drive on my PC. I know that using TiVo-to-go to access the hard drive would be the best way to go but having spent about 12 hours thus far with both TiVo Customer Service and the makers of my router trying to figure out why my PC & TiVo won't speak to each other has driven me insane (most recent determination of the problem is that there is something wrong with the OS of my PC that is preventing said communication - not the only problem I have with my PC & its &)(*@ OS but thats another story... )

ANYWAY i have all the pics backed up on an external hard drive & am wondering if i hooked that up to the TiVo, would i then be able to access said files?

BTW I think this forum ROCKS - on here I have found answers to many of my questions about TiVo service & set up - saving me multiple hours of frustration. You guys are the best !!!
UmAnOnion is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 11:30 AM   #2 (Print)
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ZikZak Send a message via AIM to ZikZak Send a message via Yahoo to ZikZak
Sorry, unfortunately you can't do that.

Can both your tivo and your computer see the internet? If your tivo can see the internet, you can put yourself on the priority list for 7.2, hope that you get the update in time, and use yahoo pictures instead of tivo home media until you figure out your problem.
ZikZak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 11:59 AM   #3 (Print)
UmAnOnion
It's a KILT, G-D it!

Send a message via AIM to UmAnOnion Send a message via Yahoo to UmAnOnion
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZikZak
Sorry, unfortunately you can't do that.

Can both your tivo and your computer see the internet? If your tivo can see the internet, you can put yourself on the priority list for 7.2, hope that you get the update in time, and use yahoo pictures instead of tivo home media until you figure out your problem.

Heya Zik Zak,

yep both the computer & the TiVo can see the internet - have been getting my updates wirelessley for the past couple weeks (after going thru 3 different adapters - damned linux) so that part isn't the problem.
According to the powers that be it's an IP address incompatability which is preventing the 2 units from communicating... been exploring a few of the other topics on the site which help - I tried to specify the IP address on the TiVo to match with that of the computer - no dice - refused to connect to internet - will now try to specify the IP address on the PC instead...

I think I have put myself on the priority list for 7.2 (does anyone know a way to confirm this??) - still awaiting its arrival...
UmAnOnion is offline Report Bad Post Report Post