July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-06-2002, 05:08 PM   #31 (Print)
cgee
TiVo Fumbler

hda4 missing, due to MFST2?

Steve, thanks for the Complete Newbie TiVo Hacker How-To - what an excellent guide! As a Linux newbie, I was grateful for the handholding along the way, and the logical progression of steps. A few weeks ago, I enabled bash over DSS Serial to fix the MFST2 swap issue. Last week, I installed the long-awaited Jafa's AirNet device and software. I was able to receive daily calls over my Wifi connection, but was unable to telnet or ftp. I used your guide to enable telnet, create a rc.sysinit.author file, and install joe, the tivo-bin binaries, TiVoFTPd, and TiVoWeb.

Section 5 of your guide mentions that edits to the rc.sysinit and rc.sysinit.author files should be made on hda4 and hda7. When I issue a df command, I only see hda7 and hda9, indicating that hda7 is my active partition, and hda4 is inactive. When I attempt to mount hda4, however, I get the same error that several others have noted:
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

Jodell stated on 7-12-02 that this error results from the fact that MFSTools does not back up the inactive partition during a capacity upgrade, which will only be created at the next software upgrade. Is this the correct reason? Since many newbies have presumably performed capacity upgrades (the easiest of hacks) prior to consulting your guides, you may wish to revise the guide to inform such users that the inactive partition will not be found.

The obvious question which follows from this is whether I will lose my changes to the rc.sysinit and rc.sysinit.author files at the the next upgrade. If so, is there any way to avoid this problem in advance (perhaps by placing backups elsewhere)?

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-08-2002, 01:31 PM   #32 (Print)
trekkerj

Results

I took the plunge this afternoon, and everything worked perfectly. I have bash prompt and everything!!!

Only question so far: after testing out TivoWeb, I tried to break the telnet session. I typed logout, and nothing happened. It is just hanging there:

Loading modules...
index
info
logos
logs
mail
mfsbrowser
phone
resources
Loaded 89 resource definitions
sched
screen
search
theme
ui
webremote
Accepting Connections

bash-2.02# logout

I just get a flashing cursor. Is the connection broken? Did I log off successfully?

Also, I used MFSTools to backup my drives. However, when booting up from the linux cd, it reported my A drive as 30GB, which is it. It is a Quantum Fireball. So I proceeded normally.

However, when I used the Dylan's linux boot floppy, it reported as 10GB, so I used qunlock, which worked. Now I am wondering if my backup is a proper backup.
trekkerj is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-08-2002, 02:31 PM   #33 (Print)
thedisident

Thanks!

Your link helped me on my DTivo running 2.5!
I really appreciate the link!
-Dis

Old 08-08-2002, 08:25 PM   #34 (Print)
stevejenkins
TiVo sTeVe-o!

Trekkerj:

Depends on your telnet client. It probably did logout OK and you don't have it set to exit on session close. I recommend using CRT (or SecureCRT) and setting it to exit on close.

The CD automatically unlocks a locked drive, the boot floppy doesn't. That's the difference. Your backup is probably just fine.

Running: TurboNET, Telnet, TiVoFTPd, TiVoWeb, & TiVoPHP!
TiVo Newbie Hacking How-To Guide
TiVo Community Theme for TiVoWeb
My Home Theater
stevejenkins is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-08-2002, 08:49 PM   #35 (Print)
trekkerj

Thanks, I feel better about my backup. Guess I'll archive it onto CD.
Everything's running great now. Even telnet, logs out normally now. Thanks a LOT for that terrific guide. Had me up and running in no time.
trekkerj is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-09-2002, 02:23 PM   #36 (Print)
stevejenkins
TiVo sTeVe-o!

Trekkerj:

Then don't forget to print out your sticker and put it on your TiVo!

My Home Theater
Old 08-28-2002, 09:18 PM   #37 (Print)
Gomer Pyle

This thread needs to be glued to the top, given that it covers all the most popular hacks other than upgrading drives.

A HUGE Thank-you to Steve - this How-to made childs play of enabling ftp, Telnet, and TiVoWEB.

I got home at 5:30 today, with my TurboNET at my doorstep. Within one and a half hours, I was DONE - I had ftp, Telnet and TiVoWEB all 100% functional. I have wanted to do this for MONTHS, but there was no clear path to me to give me the confidence to proceed. Your guide is the tool that made it crystal clear.

Though I am Windows, DOS, and computer hardware literate, I have a difficult time with Linux every time I take a stab at it... But you have put so much thought and detail into the steps, and included the reason for taking each step that most tutorials here don't provide.

All that said, I do have a few suggestions for clarifications to the guide.

The first is with regard to the .gz files. I used a Win98 boot disk, which resulted in the 8.3 filenames when I copied the files over to the hard drive. The problem came when decompressinging and extracting the files. Since the filenames were changed to 8.3 format (for example, joe2.8-tivo.tar.gz was changed to joe28-~1.gz) the .tar extension was totally dropped. This means that when GZIP was run, it decompressed the file and named it joe28-~1 (no extension). The 'cpio' command failed saying the the file could not be found. I tried using j*.tar, j*.*, and a bunch of other things, but since I couldn't use 'ls' yet (as you mention in the guide), I could not figure out what was going wrong. I put the drive back into the PC, found out what happened, and fixed it by renaming the files using the 'cp' command (cp joe28-~1.gz joe2.8-tivo.tar.gz). Now, I was only able to succeed in this without posting to this board since you explained the use of 'cp' in section 2.11 (Thanks!). My suggestion is that you add to section 2.10 to rename the 8.3 filenames to the correct long filenames on the TiVo drive (or on the floppy?). That way you don't need to worry about changing anything in section 4.1, and some degree of confusion will be eliminated. I would also be interested in knowing the delete command and usage, so I can kill the files I no longer need.

The second suggestion is pretty minor, and regards section 7.3. In section 7.0, you end by remounting with read-only. This does not change between there are 7.3, where you need to create .profile using joe in the root partition. You left out needing to remount as read/write (but that was easy to figure out).

Finally, another really minor point. I have never used Telnet before. Even though you mention in section 2.14 that you get the prompt "bash-2.02#", I was very surprised the EVERY line has that prompt. Just a statement to that effect would be a nice hand-hold to newbies...

Anyway, thanks VERY much again - your efforts need to be shared with the masses (so I may just have to UP this post the next few days until others discover it!). I can't believe there are not more praises in this thread.

Last edited by Gomer Pyle : 08-29-2002 at 08:10 AM.
Gomer Pyle is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-31-2002, 11:33 PM   #38 (Print)
Gomer Pyle

As I said, this needs to go to the top, especially for the holiday weekend.
Gomer Pyle is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2002, 11:59 PM   #39 (Print)
Greystone

Winfiles

Quote:
Originally posted by stevejenkins
Carlton and Daverx7: Yes - I'm the same Steve Jenkins who used to run Windows95.com (and then later WinFiles.com). Wow - I'm honored that anyone would still remember. Thank you!!!!!

Steve

Quite a few of us remember. I miss Winfiles as run by you badly... Was a great source to keep up to date on windows software.. kept a lot more current then the others and could tell new software quicker with it's interface
Greystone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-09-2002, 09:05 PM   #40 (Print)
salewit

Can't FTP or Telnet

Quote:
Originally posted by Ophelio
[B]Manex:

Turbonet/TiVoNet support is now built-in to the 3.0 software. You need to add a prefix to your dialing preferences to enable it. See this link. If you've done that, you then need to obtain or assign an IP address for your TiVo. My LinkSys router uses DHCP so I just read the DHCP Client Table to see the dynamic IP address that is assigned to my TiVo. Then just point your telnet/ftp/web browser to that address and away you go...no editing necessary. I'm sure this is explained in more detail elsewhere in this forum...you may need to do some digging.

I've done all this and can not FTP or Telnet to my Tivo. I'm able to ping the address listed in the DHCP router list, but no access otherwise. I set the prefix to ,#401, I removed the drive and ran the 3.0 script referenced above. Everything went through without any problems, but nothing.

I should mention that I have a Turbonet card installed on a Hughes Directivo. Funny thing is, I just bought the Turbonet 2 weeks ago, installed everything on my 2.5 Tivo, was having a great time, and boom... last night I got upgraded to 3.1 and all was lost.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Sam

P.S. I also did a test call with no phone line attached, and it went through fine almost instantly. My hub lights were flashing, so I assume hardware points are working.

Last edited by salewit : 12-09-2002 at 09:13 PM.
salewit is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2002, 12:35 AM   #41 (Print)
GordoS

Send a message via Yahoo to GordoS
Hi Sam, I've just worked-through the same problems myself. There are 2 side - effects of the 3.1 upgrade:-

1) initrd is re-enabled
2) rc.sysinit is over-written

I mounted my A-disk in my PC and followed Steve's instructions to edit rc.sysint (section 2.11) then I booted from the TurboNet network CD and ran kill_initrd ("/kill_initrd/kill_initrd info" to double-check that it was re-enabled then ("/kill_initrd/kill_initrd disable" to well, disable it).

Now I have telnet again!
GordoS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2002, 09:06 PM   #42 (Print)
tangomike

unable Telnet et al

gordos, did you have any other problems?

I have a virgin Sony T60 that I had a turbonet in, and with the 3.1 update it worked to dial in with no added effort. Today I put the disk drive in my pc, and after figuring out the byte swap issue I modified rc.sysinit in partitions 4 and 7, and booted in the Tivo, but NO telnet. Back in the PC partition 7's rc.sysinit was back to virgin state. Reading here in the forums the kill_initrd is supposed to fix that, but when I do it, the Tivo boots up with "Unable load kernel" or some such. re-enabling kill_initrd gets me back to normal boots, but NO telnet...

have any suggestions ?

Terry
tangomike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-17-2002, 04:47 PM   #43 (Print)
jkane

Why doesn't the telnet hack work on series 2 machines? I just bought mine last night and am itching to break the warrenty seal. I am a Linux "very oldie". I should be able to understand the difference if someone could start trying to explain it. I just don't want to void that warrenty in the first week if there isn't snowball's chance in PVRland of making it work!

All I've seen so far is that the file described in this FAQ isn't there. If it's still Linux underneath, it is just somewhere else, and we need to find the startup files and then edit inetd.conf to get the deamon running.

Anyone tried this?

Old 12-17-2002, 10:26 PM   #44 (Print)
GordoS

Send a message via Yahoo to GordoS
Its all beyond me I'm afraid. I've sucessfully upgraded one Series 1 DirecTivo and am currently struggling with the 2nd (looping startup problem). I'm newish to Linux and Unix in general (don't tell my colleagues at work though!) so going much beyond the excellent step-by-step instructions from DTivo experts is out of the question.

I've found most of my answers using this site's search engine. You have to know what to ask first though!
GordoS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-14-2003, 10:21 AM   #45 (Print)
skotman

Send a message via AIM to skotman
Exclamation

Steve,
I just went through your instructions on getting telnet for the first time...GREAT instructions! One thing though, You may want to put an entry in there about the sync command further up (like right after the putting the drive back in your Tivo, I knew about this in advance (but still forgot to do it once) and thought I lost my tivo when it wouldn't boot, I had to pull the drive, put it back in my PC and start all over, good thing I renamed my orginal rs.sysinit files
Scott
skotman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-08-2003, 02:23 AM   #46 (Print)
genen

ARGH!!!!!!

I'm pullling my hair out.... I can not get this working for the life of me!!!

I have a 2 drive tivo 1 on 3.0 software and a turbonet card (works fine).

When I yank the A drive out of it and hook it up to a spare PC and then boot using the MSFTOOLS boot CDROM I'm in Linux.

When I try to mount any of the tivo partitions I get a "Success" message followed by a "You must specify a file system" message....

When I do an ls -l there are no files!!!!

I can't get past this!!!!

PS boot process reports hdd as having 20 gigs so it's not locked...

Gene
genen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-08-2003, 09:15 AM   #47 (Print)
AtlantaMDX

Re: telnet rc.sysinit mods not sticking

Quote:
Originally posted by Manex
Here's a vexing problem I just can't seem to figure out, and I'd appreciate some advice. I have a Sony SVR2000 with 3.0, and I just installed my turbonet card. I got the machine to successfully make its' test call via ethernet. I then removed the drive to enable telnet access. I used joe to edit the rc.sysinit files on both partitions 4 and 7, and then put the drive back in my TiVo.
After the TiVo booted, everything seemed fine, except I still had no telnet access. So, I took the drive back out and looked at the rc.sysinit files. Strangely enough, the rc.sysinit file on partition 4 lost the line I added at the end to enable telnet access. The file on partition 7 still had my edits in it. So, I edited the file on partition 4 again and saved it. Again I booted the TiVo to find that I had no telnet access. I took the drive back out and looked at the file on partition 4. For a second time, my edits were no longer present in the file.
Is there some kind of file protection mechanism on the series I TiVos in 3.0? Does anyone else know what might be going on here? Any help is greatly appreciated...

I have a similar problem on my Series 2. Can this hack be done on the Series 2? There was a seperate download for Series 2 boxes, so I made the assumption that it would work (I know, assumption makes an ass out of u and mption).

I've seen mention of the rc.sysinit.author file, but I didn't see any explaination of what it was for.

I've seen mention of the kill_intrid script, but again, no real explanation of what it did.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to hack my series 2, but it it's a no win battle, I don't want to beat my head against the wall for no reason.

Thanks,

AtlantaMDX
AtlantaMDX is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-13-2003, 09:28 PM   #48 (Print)
tdowlingjr

I have a street legal (so far) TiVo Series II 60gb Version 3 (HMO installed). Can I install the Telnet and TiVoWeb hacks on this box? Is it easy to do these hacks first before I start the HDD Upgrades ?? Also, I only have an extra 60GB HDD, can I use that as my 2nd drive? I thought I heard, 2nd drive had to be equal to or greater then 1st drive.. Thanks.
tdowlingjr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-01-2003, 04:08 PM   #49 (Print)
ghost

Thumbs up Thanks Steve

Great Instructions. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Steve.
ghost is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-13-2003, 09:21 PM   #50 (Print)
thinksnow
Read twice-hack once

argh

Having problems with step 2.7
I ran a back-up of my dual drives, and that went fine, but now that I'm trying move on to the good hacking stuff, I'm running into a consistant error.

I've got the A drive plugged in to my Secondary Master, though it's actually pugged into my controller card, so it is identified as hdg, rather than hdc, but as I said, it worke dfine for the back-up.

So I type:
mount /dev/fd0 /flop

and that works, I get the #, but when I type:
mount /dev/hdg4 /mnt4

I get the following messages:
/dev/hdg4: Invalid argument
hdg4: bad access: block=0, count=1
end_request: I/O error, dev 22:04 (hdg), sector 0
FAT: unable to read boot sector
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

The same thing happens for /mnt7 and /mnt9

I should note, I guess, that the DOS boot disk I made took the entire disk, so the other files are on a second disk, if that matters, and I've gottent eh same message with each in the drive when I mount the floppy.

What now? (please help!)

edit to add:
Okay, I made a new DOS disk that has all the binary schtuff on it, too and I plugged the A-drive into my original IDE slots, rather than my controller card and it made no difference.

Some other things I didn't note before:
after the system logs in with the linux disk and I'm at step 2.6, I type root and get the reply:
root: permission denied

After typing ls -l, I get the listing, but instead of the
drwx-xr-x 2 0 0 ...... as shown in step 2.9, I get
drwx-xr-x 2 root root ......

As far as paritions listed, I, IIRC, 2, 3, 4, 8, & 18, if that makes any difference.

Frustrating.

well, maybe not_____
Educate yourself on Sleep Apnea

Last edited by thinksnow : 07-13-2003 at 10:18 PM.
thinksnow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2003, 08:19 PM   #51 (Print)
thinksnow
Read twice-hack once

Problem resolved

Short answer: don't disconnect your IDE channel 1 when you hook your A drive to IDE channel 2.

well, maybe not_____
Educate yourself on Sleep Apnea
thinksnow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2003, 11:43 PM   #52 (Print)
Kevin Clark

Steve,
Hi I have used your Tivo Network Hack How To Guide. It's a pretty good guide I must say. I just have one question about setting up the telnet startup option in the rc.sysinit file on partitions 4 and 7 (Step 2.11) When you open the rc.sysinit file and scroll to the bottom of the file, Do you add the new line, tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &, at the very bottom, or just before the line that says something like, finished rc.sysinit. I put it at the very end and I booted up my tivo and I can't telnet into my tivo. I have a linksys router and my ip address for it is 192.168.1.102. When I telnet, I get this message, Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed.

What could my problem be?
Kevin Clark is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-30-2003, 05:16 PM   #53 (Print)
catsweat

I noticed no one answered Kevin's question. I'm curious of the same. I can't get telnet to work and I followed the directions perfectly and had no complications in doing so. It's a simple series 1 tivo with only 1 partition since it was a new expanded drive.

Cat
catsweat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-30-2003, 05:31 PM   #54 (Print)
stevejenkins
TiVo sTeVe-o!

If you take the drive out and remount it, are the instructions you put in for the telnet service still in your rc.sysinit (or rc.sysinit.author).

If not, then you're seeing a problem that others with only one partition have reported, where it gets overwritten.

If they are there, then something else is to blame. Please let me know and I'll try to learn more so I can updated the guide.

Best,

Steve

My Home Theater
Old 08-31-2003, 10:00 AM   #55 (Print)
catsweat

Thanks Steve. Actually I figured out the problem. For those of us who are completely Unix ignorant. When they say a line by itself they mean a space first, then the line by itself. At least this is what I did to fix mine.

Cat
catsweat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-31-2003, 11:07 AM   #56 (Print)
stevejenkins
TiVo sTeVe-o!

Ahhh.... should I have said "a new line" instead of "a line by itself?"

My Home Theater
Old 10-13-2003, 03:18 PM   #57 (Print)
welchomatic

mount: you must specify the filesystem type - There is a real problem. I have part of the solution!!

First, how do you get the problem? For those of you who cannot mount your Tivo drive, please specify the make/model of your motherboard, and the flash version. I don't know what 'degree' of capability is required to fix this, but I know this is the right track. Let me explain my situation. I didn't take thorough notes, so I'm hoping that the experts with more patience and equipment can check into this with more detail.

I tried upgrading my Series 1 using the instructions here, with a MoBo from Intel, the 845GVAD2L. I run Linux natively on it. Not relevant to the discussion, but, the fact that I don't have a floppy is. This motherboard's auto hard drive detect did NOT indicate that the tivo drive was locked. I ran into a wall, so I tried using my OLD computer, simply because it has a floppy drive.

This is an Asus P2B motherboard. It runs Win98 natively. (Not relevant). It has a floppy. This motherboard could detect the Tivo drive, but indicated it was locked. When I unlocked the drive and rebooted, I could no longer autodetect the Tivo Drive. I assume this is due to the blanking out of the first few sectors of the drive. Any method of hard-entry info of the drive would not work.

After moving the drive from Asus MB to Tivo (Unlocking and then locking again) in frustration, I tried the following. Start with the drive out of the Tivo. (Locked) Move it to the Asus MB, which indicates a locked drive. Unlock the drive using QUNLOCK floppy disk. (Unlocked, but unreadable with the Asus P2B MoBo) Move it to the Intel Mobo and install software. (now unlocked and readable)

Since I bought ONE Tivo for the purpose of hacking it, and I'm already to the point I never need to open it again, I will not pursue this investigation further. It's up to you, open source community!

In summary - all of us that cannot follow the instructions as given have one of these problems: 1) your Mobo is telling the OS that the drive has a large capacity when in truth it doesn't (false unlocked message) or 2) Your Mobo BIOS cannot read an unlocked drive.

Old 12-21-2003, 10:29 PM   #58 (Print)
imaudi

rc.sysinit reverting to original state

Okay okay I know this is an old issue (Over a year old!), but I've scanned the entire message board and couldn't find any workaround for it.

I've followed Steve's instructions on how to enable Telnet, but every time I modify the rc.sysinit files and reboot TiVo, it reverts the file on the active partition to its original state. I've read a bit about this, and it seems to do with initrd.

I've downloaded kill_initrd.zip off of Steve's /downloads directory, and ran ./kill_initrd disable - It reports that it has done this successfully, but then when I boot TiVo, it simply stays at the "TiVo is powering up" initial screen forever. I can hear hard drive activity, and the NIC light flashes, but the screen does not flicker. When I run ./kill_initrd enable again, this fixes the problem.

My TiVo software version is 3.1.0b-02-1-011 and it's a Sony SAT-T60 Series 1 DirecTivo..

Did anyone ever figure out a way to fix this? Thanks!!

Mike
imaudi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-01-2004, 03:24 AM   #59 (Print)
gzambran

Since it seems like no one is going to answer my question anytime soon I figured I would ask here.

Basically I've been trying to find out if I can use steve jenkins guide on a Series 2 Tivo with software version 4.0.1. I emailed him myself but he has yet to answer.

I want to be able to have telnet and ftp access on my tivo but I want to be sure I wont run into any problems that I can avoid.
gzambran is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-02-2004, 08:35 PM   #60 (Print)
Sisiu Misiu

Please Help

Hello all.

Newbie to Tivo Hacking, anyways I went and purchased the New Tivo Series 2 DVR with a USB Network adaptor set it all up. All is good. New November Model 2003 stamped On the back with a Maxtor Fireball HD 40Gig

After inital set up was done I went and Removed Drive from the Tivo and Put it on my Secondary Master in my computer. the computer Read it as a 40 gig Hard drive (which means I didnt have to use Qunlock) and linux start up disk saw it as a 40 gig HD also. But i noticed it said Unknown Partition went on steve Jenkins Web Site, and a couple of other things he requested on his How To Guide. did these Commands:

mkdir /flop [ENTER]
#
mkdir /mnt4 [ENTER]
#
mkdir /mnt7 [ENTER]
#
mkdir /mnt9 [ENTER]
Then did these Comands

mount /dev/fd0 /flop [ENTER]
#
mount /dev/hdc4 /mnt4 [ENTER]
Fat Bread error (Something about Wrong File type)
mount /dev/hdc7 /mnt7 [ENTER]
mount /dev/hdc9 /mnt9 [ENTER]
then i did a ds like the Guide said
and all i saw was a
Ram Disk or something to that manner
didnt see the Partitions i mounted or anything.

cd /mnt9 [ENTER]
ls –1 [ENTER]
Nothing In the Directory

At that Point i hit CTRL+ ALT+ Delete and Dceided to call Yall. Please help.

NOTICE. I didn follow Steves Guide to the T. I just dont remember some of the Errors.

Is there a Place where theses an Updated Newbie Guide that Includes the Newest Tivos??
Sisiu Misiu is offline Report Bad Post Report Post