Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 06-29-2004, 08:07 PM   #1 (Print)
VaJim

2nd Line Dilema

Well I'm just about convinced that running the 2nd line to my Tivo is not something I want to do. Tonight I took a peek under the house and although it's fairly new (2 yrs old), the top of the crawlspace is covered with the pink insulation. In my non-mechanical mind this appears to be a problem when trying to drill any type of hole up into the wall.

Another thought did come to mind;....there is another catv wall plate located on the same wall as my tivo. It's up and to the right about 6-8'. The fireplace sits in the corner and the builder wanted you to put your TV in that corner. We didn't use that connection. I'm wondering if I could use that back at the Tivo? I'm sure the line there goes back to the junction box in the foyer. What I don't know is how it gets there. The thought is, take the junction box containing my current connection out of the wall and see if I can see another RG6 cable in the area. May not work for it's probably tacked down. Just not sure. But if I could pull it back and bring it into my current plate, then i could find it's end in the foyer closer and connect the 2 males end of RG6and then back out to the dish in the crawlspace. All that would require is dropping another line down back behind the foyer closet into the crawlspace and out the vent like what the last installer did.

Bottom line, I may have to call in a pro. D* wants $100 for a standard install and you pay the installer for any custom work. It can't get any harder...ugh!

Also up on the dish, is it best to put your connector on after you've pushed your cable through the arm? That's the other problem if that's the case, I don't have the proper tools to do any crimping.

Thanks for listening.
VaJim is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-29-2004, 10:15 PM   #2 (Print)
LostCluster

You may want to consider a signal stacker/destacker system. Such a setup would take the 2nd line worth of signal and shift it to a higher set of frequencies so that it can travel on the single line, and then destack the signal on the other side so that the TiVo thinks it can control two lines. It'd cost a quite a bit... but it'd definitely be cleaner.
LostCluster is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2004, 01:53 AM   #3 (Print)
peterl1365

Quote:
Originally posted by LostCluster
You may want to consider a signal stacker/destacker system. Such a setup would take the 2nd line worth of signal and shift it to a higher set of frequencies so that it can travel on the single line, and then destack the signal on the other side so that the TiVo thinks it can control two lines. It'd cost a quite a bit... but it'd definitely be cleaner.

Stacker solutions are very expensive, and if you have a triple LNB dish, may not even work at all (I'm not sure where I heard this)

Where did you buy the Tivo. If you bought it directly from D*, then they should install it at no charge. They should have no trouble getting through the insulation.

If you didn't buy from D*, then perhaps you can still return it and reorder one from D*. You'll have to pay for shipping, but that's better than $100 installation. Plus, you may be able to get a DTivo for $49 like a lot of people here have reported.
peterl1365 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2004, 07:46 AM   #4 (Print)
Rkkeller

Its simple. Drill a hole in the floor behind the TV. Drill it
from the top down and run the cable from the Tivo thru the
floor and then out to the dish or multiswitch.

This only requires some RG6 cable and no
fancy fiddling around.

Rich
Rkkeller is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2004, 12:16 PM   #5 (Print)
TrojanHorse
mmm, nachos.

Sometimes it's easier just to suck it up and pay the $100... you don't seem too comfortable with the DIY aspects of the job... but if you want to give it a rip, do try. It isn't overly complicated, and if you buy a pre-made cable, you wont have to fuss with crimping.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:46 PM   #6 (Print)
taylor2767

As you mentioned, you can use that wall plate as your 2nd line as long as you are using a multi-switch to feed both or all of your lines going to your receivers.

Old 06-30-2004, 07:20 PM   #7 (Print)
VaJim

Thanks for all the input!

I'm still looking over my options and I may go with simply drilling a hole in the floor through the carpet and drop into the crawl space. I do have a couple of other questions:

1. Do they make a plate that you can use on a floor hole like that? Problem might be dealing with RG6 which already has the connectors installed, getting it through the plate...?.

2. Up at the dish,...where does the line connect to ( I have no owners manual for my dish) and can you feed the cable through the arm with the connector already installed?

Thanks again!
Old 06-30-2004, 07:53 PM   #8 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

I have seen surface mount boxes which take the normal Keystone inserts.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-01-2004, 02:17 AM   #9 (Print)
DrEvil
Evil Member

Here's the Phase III oval dish manual: http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/12...naManual_1D.pdf

Here's the 18" dual LNB standard dish manual: http://www.rca.com/documents/ODU_in...B_700543_25.pdf

Old 07-01-2004, 07:11 PM   #10 (Print)
VaJim

I appreciate everyones input and comments. Looks like I'm gong up in the attic this weekend and look around.

Still have a couple of questions...

1. If I buy 50' of RG6 with connectors, will one end be able to pass through the LNB arm to the plug?

2. Does each cable run from the dish must be grounded?

3. Anyone install a floor plate on carpet?