July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2005, 09:20 PM   #121 (Print)
mjpaci

Quote:
Originally posted by skubish

Don't whine because you have been duped by Jobs.

Do you even know the context behind that photo? It was from one of those Macworld Photoshop bakeoffs, a snapshot in time. Similar to this photo:

This thread was finally calming down and you HAD to throw some dry kindling onto the coals.

--Mike
mjpaci is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 09:24 PM   #122 (Print)
mjpaci

Quote:
Originally posted by Malico
Go buy a PC already and stop the whining... Really erks me when Mac users cry cause they cannot use things when they buy it KNOWING that it has limited support for hardware and software.

Do you know what is really nice about using Apple's browser? In-line spell check.

I really hate the limited support I get from virus writers.

--Mike
mjpaci is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 09:24 PM   #123 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Does it bother anybody else seeing consumer products with huge logos facing in convenient directions for cameras? I hate that sort of placement. I'd be quicker to notice the AT&T phone, the Dell computer, or the Sony TV if I had to really go looking for it, but when it's in 500 point type I just see it and forget it.

It also annoys me when you can tell somebody took a black magic marker to it to try to make it not stand out (no product placement payment forthcoming, I guess).
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 09:27 PM   #124 (Print)
SueAnn

Send a message via AIM to SueAnn Send a message via MSN to SueAnn
Quote:
Originally posted by aadam101
My Tivo washed the dishes and vacummed last night. There must be something wrong with yours.

My Tivo does laundry and dusts !
SueAnn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 10:25 PM   #125 (Print)
mantene
Turtles...Tonight...

Send a message via AIM to mantene
Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Does it bother anybody else seeing consumer products with huge logos facing in convenient directions for cameras? I hate that sort of placement. I'd be quicker to notice the AT&T phone, the Dell computer, or the Sony TV if I had to really go looking for it, but when it's in 500 point type I just see it and forget it.

It also annoys me when you can tell somebody took a black magic marker to it to try to make it not stand out (no product placement payment forthcoming, I guess).

I don't know what on earth you are talking about Doug!

This TC post sponsered by:

Dr. Cox : You see Dr. Wen in there? He's explaining to that family that something went wrong, and that patient died. He's gonna tell them what happened, he's gonna say he's sorry - and then he's going back to work. Do you think anybody else in that room's going back to work today? That is why we distance ourselves; that's why we make jokes. We don't do it because it's fun. We do it so we can get by. And... sometimes because it's fun. But mostly it's the getting by thing.
mantene is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 10:32 PM   #126 (Print)
piper

Quote:
Originally posted by Unix_Beard
Yo boss, you are the one that came into the thread blathering incoherently about adolescents and then make the ridiculous claim that people who use other operating systems other than Windows are causing problems for the whole industry.

Do you admit that there is life outside your Microsoft world? Or would you like to post yet another off topic and misinformed post?

BTW, if you truly worked in a real IT environment, you would realize the VAST difference between MacOS X and Linux.

All your statements in this post and the previous few are laughably 180 degrees from the truth. You didn't read ANYTHING I posted did you?

I will spell it out once again: the fact that you feel so threatened you have to behave like a spoiled brat who's had his trike taken away is entirely down to you.

For example, I even told you specifically about how we use Unix machines at work thinking it might placate you but no, you carry on insulting and shouting at me. How else can I put it? Even when I acknowledge what you are ranting about you STILL feel threatened. WHERE did I say I live in a world devoid of anything other than MS products (outside of your imagination)?

I stand by what I said: people like YOU (note: not Mac users, Linux users and whatever other interpretation you want to put on it) are a problem to be overcome to those of us doing business in the real (IT) world. I was referring to YOU when I joked about adoloscent responses. Hint: look up the word 'joke' and also the words 'humorless troglodyte' while you're at it.

PS I don't like being misquoted.

PPS I'm English so apologies if what I think is irony just sounds like sarcasm to you. I'm still wondering what triggered off such hostile posts?

And so on...
piper is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 11:12 PM   #127 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally posted by SueAnn
My Tivo does laundry and dusts !

My TiVo does not do Windows nor will it polish apples, but my penguins seem to like it all the same
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 11:24 PM   #128 (Print)
skanter

To put things in perspective:

Waiting for Tivo to Go for your Mac is not quite as bad as seeing your entire family wiped out by a Tsunami...

skanter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 11:33 PM   #129 (Print)
Unix_Beard

piper - You still fail to see the insults hurled a few pages back when you claimed that I didn't -really- need "Unix" at home but was really only playing Doom 3. I informed you that wasn't the case.

You also infer that customers of a company like yours who are not happy that you only produce a Windows product hamper the success of IT in general. It is you who is swinging around stereotypes, generalities and inaccuracies. If you fail to the the reason for the rebuke, you might ask yourself again why you are contributing to a thread in which you have no vested interest?
Unix_Beard is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 12:02 AM   #130 (Print)
piper

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Unix_Beard
piper - You still fail to see the insults hurled a few pages back when you claimed that I didn't -really- need "Unix" at home but was really only playing Doom 3. I informed you that wasn't the case.

You also infer that customers of a company like yours who are not happy that you only produce a Windows product hamper the success of IT in general. It is you who is swinging around stereotypes, generalities and inaccuracies. If you fail to the the reason for the rebuke, you might ask yourself again why you are contributing to a thread in which you have no vested interest?
[/QUOTE

Eh?

Last edited by piper : 01-05-2005 at 12:39 AM.
piper is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 02:55 PM   #131 (Print)
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Send a message via ICQ to Hunter Green Send a message via AIM to Hunter Green Send a message via MSN to Hunter Green Send a message via Yahoo to Hunter Green
The supermarkets lied to me about how fresh the food was. Boycott food!

Old 01-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #132 (Print)
TheNumberSix

Send a message via ICQ to TheNumberSix
I want Tivo2go support for my Timex Sinclair or I will cancel my Tivo sub, damnit!

Or maybe I will just boycott this thread!
TheNumberSix is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 03:34 PM   #133 (Print)
mantene
Turtles...Tonight...

Send a message via AIM to mantene
well, people who want to boycott tivo should start by boycotting this forum! Maybe that will cut down on these threads!

Dr. Cox : You see Dr. Wen in there? He's explaining to that family that something went wrong, and that patient died. He's gonna tell them what happened, he's gonna say he's sorry - and then he's going back to work. Do you think anybody else in that room's going back to work today? That is why we distance ourselves; that's why we make jokes. We don't do it because it's fun. We do it so we can get by. And... sometimes because it's fun. But mostly it's the getting by thing.
mantene is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2005, 09:52 AM   #134 (Print)
NonSequitur
Pay me no mind.

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConboy
Just watch how much trouble we Mac users can be to Tivo.

What? All 9 of you?

You chose this! to be your first post on this forum??

I suppose this is what a real Windows user looks like:

NonSequitur is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2005, 10:02 AM   #135 (Print)
Mugsy Malone
Dorkus Malorkus

Send a message via AIM to Mugsy Malone Send a message via Yahoo to Mugsy Malone
Re: The hell we can't

Quote:
Originally posted by corjulo
Just watch how much trouble we Mac users can be to Tivo. We sure as hell can switched to Comcast. We can boycott Tivo advertiser. AND WE WILL

Don't you dare speak for me.

I am a Mac user. I have a Tivo. I have had Tivo since 1999. The very second that Tivo stops doing what I want it to, I will use another system. I mean, I think Tivo is super cool, but ultimately, it's a black box thing that sits by my TV. I have no more emotional attachment to the Tivo than I do to my microwave.

I *do* have an emotional attachment to "my DVR". That is to say, what I enjoy is having a DVR. For now, Tivo is cool and does everything I want it to. Frankly, I looked at TTG with my Windows laptop, and I don't give a crap that my Mac can't use it, because I doubt I'll ever use it myself. On the Windows side, I don't have a DVD-R (only on my Mac), but looking at how long it takes to transfer a show, and then burn it...I can see myself using this thing as a replacement to "dump to VCR" if I want to show a friend a cool thing I recorded on the History Channel.

But I digress. Stop speaking for a group you do not represent. I don't have the time or energy to "boycott" a company or advertisers because some jackass on a message board is pissy and whiny. Vote with YOUR dollars...but don't tell me how to vote with mine.

Old 01-07-2005, 10:33 AM   #136 (Print)
SloS13

Re: The hell we can't

Quote:
Originally posted by corjulo
Just watch how much trouble we Mac users can be to Tivo. We sure as hell can switched to Comcast. We can boycott Tivo advertiser. AND WE WILL

Oh no, all 6 of you? lol jk

Edit: darnit somebody already used that joke

If supporting MAC's is a good financial move for them, they'll do it. If it's a bad move, they wont. And so is life.
SloS13 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #137 (Print)
briguymaine
Visual Assault Cmdr.

corjulo, you are an idiot. I am a mac user too, you are making us all look foolish. I'm not about to give up my Tivos, sorry. Cable DVRs blow. And when was the last time something came out for the rest of the world and was late coming to the mac, if it came at all? Please think before you get all fired up!

Old 01-07-2005, 10:49 AM   #138 (Print)
jannlinder

Send a message via AIM to jannlinder Send a message via Yahoo to jannlinder
Mac users were lied to? This is more of an explanation than a rant!

OK! HAD ENOUGH SPECULATION! Had to join in with some facts!

Quote:
It would be one thing if Tivo had not been telling callers that Mac support would be assured.

True...and not just "Sometime out there". I was told several times that the Mac is their preferred platform. But this is just like Google. Most Google internal employess prefer Mac to Windows (a Forbes article last month)...yet do we see any "Toolbars" for the Mac (we don't want them...but do we see them? No! Do we see ANY development tools for the Mac that we see them putting out for Windows? NO!)

Quote:
But I called Tivo three times over the last few weeks and each time they assured me Mac support would be included.

Me too! They swore (their advanced tech dept) that OS X was much easier to develop for and that they would have a solution sometime in the FALL! Now it is past the first of the year and they release the Windows version!

Quote:
By using Microsoft media Authentication protocols they have assured that will not happen.

By way of being both the voice of reason and the voice of (some of) the Mac Population, first of all, corjulo is right and wrong. DirectShow is not JUST a Microsoft Media Authentication Protocol...M$ is promoting it AND providing software hooks for any application to use it. But by requiring DirectShow decryption, Tivo most certainly did make it impossible for Mac users to watch the downloaded streams now...there is no DirectShow plug-in for Quicktime or WMP in the Mac.

The problem is simple: The Mac platform is so tightly integrated with video and audio...that Tivo KNEW copy protection (or DRM) for Video on the Mac platform would be HELL!

For instance: Any OS X machine which has QuickTime MPEG decoder installed on it (You have it if you have DVD Studio Pro or Quicktime Pro) can decode AND EXPORT that video to ANY format. The Mac population expects this and truly would not allow Apple to do it any other way. Therefore Tivo would not and could not simply make a DirectShow Plug-In for Quicktime unless Apple allows the QuickTime EXPORT function to be disabled!

The reason so many windows programs can decode this resulting .TIVO stream is simple...they have all the ability to call the DirectShow...dll

This DLL simply asks for your password, verifies it and then decrypts the stream, tunnelling it to whichever application requested it. Sometimes it is Microsoft WMP 10, or WMP9 or TMPEnc, etc... but it is simply the DLL on your system decrypting on the fly. Tivo Desktop 2.0 does NOTHING to decrypt...TD2.0 actually just calls a few XML files (some of it wrongly formed I might add) from the new embedded Tivo web server (YEAH!), displays the information in a window, allows you to tell it to download something, calls the URL it found in the XML and saves the resulting stream to the hard drive. NOTHING ELSE. The rest of the TD2.0 is SIMPLY there to publish your photos and music to the Tivo Boxes (using Rendezvous!!!! YEAH FOR TIVO!) and show you what you downloaded.

This is so funny! I am able to download them to a Mac--And have been doing so all night long!

To answer most of the other questions about VLC and WMP on the Mac....

The reason VLC on the Mac cannot play these streams is the Mac does not have DirectShow as a filter. I suppose one could build a filter if the specs are out there (I did not look this up) ...but being a M$ invention, DirectShow is OBVIOUSLY not open source and one COULD possibly be violating some agreement or another.

There IS a program (open source) on the Mac.. (I forgot it's name) which allows you to simply tell it a file--then add (tunnelled) all kinds of 'filters' to decode/transcode/encode the file's audio and video any way you wish. The minute SOMEONE breaks the encryption (NOT saying anyone should...after all, that COULD be illegal), we can compile that on OS X and the world will be a better place.

I already have written (last night) a RealBasic program I am alpha testing now (runs on Windows, Linux and Mac) which is the Duplicate of Tivo Desktop 2.0 BUT will allow external filters to be put in place--decrypting and playing the video--so it can run on Linux and OS X without violating anything. The external filters do the work.

This is just fun for me ....but TIVO told me I wasn't allowed to do something they are letting Windows Users do and that just plain AIN'T FAIR--and AIN'T RIGHT! My $12.95 and $6.95 and $6.95 each month plus the $95 (i think) I paid 3 times for Home Networking (3 Tivos) when they turned around a couple of months later and gave it away for free is P*SS*NG me off! Then 1 of my 3 boxes got the download (all 3 were on the Priority List since 8 hours after it was opened up for submission--don't get me started on the priority list--I understand wanting to limit calls to the call center...but make us click an 'Agree' box--like M$--and then say 'NO CALLS IF YOU DOWNLOAD THIS--WEB SUPPORT ONLY' or something)

My $.02

Jann
jannlinder is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2005, 11:05 AM   #139 (Print)
Timur

corjulo: as one Mac user to another, let me tell you that you should have known better. Never, ever buy a product unless everything you need is currently available, especially when Mac compatibility is involved. Pay no attention to marketing droids that just tell you what you want to hear.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:07 AM   #140 (Print)
futerfas

Send a message via AIM to futerfas
This thread has gotten way out of hand...

"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara
futerfas is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2005, 11:15 AM   #141 (Print)
justapixel

Name-calling and flaming is not allowed on this message board. I suggest you newbies read the rules and guidelines stuck at the top of the Happy Hour so that you can see what is expected here.

Thank you.

Thread closed.

Ann Gets Fit
justapixel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post