Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-09-2005, 03:05 PM   #1 (Print)
Keith53

Terabyte HR10 - 130 HD hours

Haven't seen this here previously, so I'd like to announce my latest stunning achievement.

I noticed that there are now available some 500GB drives that still have an ATA interface, i.e. not SATA. ( The ones I know of are the Hitachi Deskstar and the Maxtor DiamondMax 11.)

So, since a drive was dying in my two-drive (upgraded) HR10-250, I decided to go for it. I acquired two of the Hitachi 500s, and dove right in. Basically this is the same as the Hinsdale instructions. I wanted to save my recordings, so I used the image-copy and MFSadd method. I have one of the wonderful Disk Jockey sector-copiers from Diskology, without which this would not have been feasible. (Using the linux dd command would probably take about 2 days to copy both old 250 drives; the DJ took less than 5 hours.)

I skipped doing backups since I would still have the old drives, unaltered.

After the copy, I just stuck the drives into a PC, booted from the PTV upgrade CD (free download), used mfsadd to expand the two new drives, presto, it worked as advertised. Mounted the two new drives onto the already existing Weaknees TwinBreeze bracket, carefully reconnected them, buttoned it up, plugged in the cables, and it came right up!

So now I have of the few HR10s that shows 130 HD/870 SD hours. Yippee!

I should mention 3 points: This is not cheap. (the drives are $375 each). It does make the box run a little hotter (52C versus 50C before). And yes I am a little bit nuts.

Happy Tivo-ing,

Keith
Keith53 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2005, 05:11 AM   #2 (Print)
Rob00GT
This space for rent.

Did you modify your swap file size? If so, to what?

All Zippered using instructions from this site. Thanks!
Rob00GT is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 12:17 AM   #3 (Print)
Keith53

--did I modify the swap filesize?

Nope. Works fine as is. I don't know if Weaknees changed it when they modified it originally.

I noticed something tonight. If the unit is recording and the room is quiet, you can hear the disks seeking. A very low-level chatter. The Hitachi drives aren't known for quietness but they were all I could get. (Would have rather had the Maxtors.)

Keith
Keith53 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post