Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-11-2005, 12:19 PM   #1 (Print)
Hokyfan

Replace both drives on HD10-250

I have a HD10-250 to which I added a second 250GB drive when it was new. I used the Hinsdale How-to - configuration #1 - add second drive.

When I added the drive, all I did add the 2nd drive using the mfsadd command. (I did not increase the swap file.)

The TiVo is starting to show some drive related problems - stuttering and such. I want to replace the two 250GB drives with new Quantum View 300GB drives. I want to preserve everything.

Will following the Hinsdate How-to - configuration #5 - NEW A & B Drive - work?

If this will not work - what is the best way to replace the 2 drives?

Thanks...
Hokyfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2005, 03:13 PM   #2 (Print)
jeff125va

Send a message via AIM to jeff125va
This question seemed similar enough to mine that I didn't think it made sense to start another thread...

There seems to be a problem with my A drive in my HR10-250 - there's a clicking every few seconds, and when I've been able to use it, the shows I'm watching frequently pause during playback and are slow to respond to FF and rewind commands. I also added a 300GB Maxtor QuickView drive, and that one seems ok, but is it safe to disconnect the B drive and reboot it just to make sure? The clicking seems to be coming from the A drive (factory WD 250GB) but since they're so close together, I'd like to make sure. I'd like to preserve everything also, but it's no big deal if I can't - it seems to have enough life in it that I can watch the handful of shows I don't have on my other unit, but I'm not sure what will happen if I boot it without the B drive connected.

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
jeff125va is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2005, 12:46 PM   #3 (Print)
Hokyfan

Anyone??
Hokyfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2005, 01:35 PM   #4 (Print)
HomeUser

I know nothing about the HD10-250, Just to get things started

You want to go from stock 250G 'A' and added 250G 'B' drives to 2 300G drives increasing the swap space.

I do not see any reason why that would not work. Remember to use the -r 4 option and tpip to fix the larger swap I suggest 300Meg.
HomeUser is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 10:10 PM   #5 (Print)
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokyfan
I have a HD10-250 to which I added a second 250GB drive when it was new. I used the Hinsdale How-to - configuration #1 - add second drive.

When I added the drive, all I did add the 2nd drive using the mfsadd command. (I did not increase the swap file.)

The TiVo is starting to show some drive related problems - stuttering and such. I want to replace the two 250GB drives with new Quantum View 300GB drives. I want to preserve everything.

Will following the Hinsdate How-to - configuration #5 - NEW A & B Drive - work?

If this will not work - what is the best way to replace the 2 drives?

Thanks...

You have expanded once. I do not believe you can expand again. If you want to replace the drives, and keep the recordings, you will still have 250 gb space on each drive, no matter how big the new drive is. I believe the best way to do that is copy each drive separately with the dd or dd_rescue command. I like dd_rescue because it is much faster.

You might be better off figuring out which drive has the problem and only replacing that drive.
WO312 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 10:13 PM   #6 (Print)
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff125va
This question seemed similar enough to mine that I didn't think it made sense to start another thread...

There seems to be a problem with my A drive in my HR10-250 - there's a clicking every few seconds, and when I've been able to use it, the shows I'm watching frequently pause during playback and are slow to respond to FF and rewind commands. I also added a 300GB Maxtor QuickView drive, and that one seems ok, but is it safe to disconnect the B drive and reboot it just to make sure? The clicking seems to be coming from the A drive (factory WD 250GB) but since they're so close together, I'd like to make sure. I'd like to preserve everything also, but it's no big deal if I can't - it seems to have enough life in it that I can watch the handful of shows I don't have on my other unit, but I'm not sure what will happen if I boot it without the B drive connected.

You cannot boot a drive separately. If you think it is the A drive, replace it using the dd or dd_rescue command.
WO312 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 12:30 AM   #7 (Print)
HomeUser

My guess, is that the 'A' drive has not yet been expanded so adding two more partitions should not be a problem.
I don't know how many partitions were created on the 'B' drive by the MFSADD I remember reading about others Expanding the the 'B' drive after the inital mfsadd.
HomeUser is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 09:01 AM   #8 (Print)
jeff125va

Send a message via AIM to jeff125va
Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312
You cannot boot a drive separately. If you think it is the A drive, replace it using the dd or dd_rescue command.

Thanks! Where can I get more details on that? Are those commands supposed to retain my settings and recordings? I seem to remember having a problem in the past replacing a drive and the TiVo forcing me to clear all and delete before it would restart. Something about the hard drive ID not matching the ID that the base hardware had stored.

I'd be fine with just getting another 250GB drive, but if I have to start all over, I'd probably just get a 300GB drive. I believe I have the image I backed up when I first did the upgrade. It was actually working fine for a couple days after I opened it up to check it out, then I heard the clicking again last night and had the slow playback response after I rebooted.

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
jeff125va is offline Report Bad Post Report Post