Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2005, 02:30 PM   #151 (Print)
Slainte

Woot! Mine came today!

Now I just gotta pick up a pair of 320GB HDD's and we'll be in business! I really wanted to go to 1TB (just 'cause), but the 500GB Hitachi's are just too pricey per GB.
Slainte is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 08:29 PM   #152 (Print)
speaker city

I got mine today! It'll be on ebay in a matter of hours.
speaker city is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2005, 08:32 PM   #153 (Print)
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Send a message via ICQ to megazone Send a message via AIM to megazone Send a message via Yahoo to megazone
Quote:
Originally Posted by speaker city
I got mine today! It'll be on ebay in a matter of hours.

Hardly seems worth it, since anyone who even pays $50 for a 40-hour box on eBay is a sucker. Of course, the world is full of suckers.

I'd just cross off someone from your Xmas gift list. ;-)

megazone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 12:10 AM   #154 (Print)
bugzod

Got mine today. I still cannot fathom how spectacular this deal was. I spend 105 bones on something I need and get a free 2nd unit and 3 mos. toward a lifetime.

Thank God I was paying attention during the brief window that this deal was available.

This board rocks.
bugzod is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 10:32 AM   #155 (Print)
Blaeu

I got mine. I was home all day yesterday and I didn't see any FedEX trucks, however this morning when I went out to get the paper the box was on my front step. You'd think the FedEx guy could at least knock on the door.

It's staying boxed up for a while until a get the parts to upgrade it and clean out the Series 1.
Blaeu is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #156 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Mine was waiting for me when I got home last night, even though the FedEx representative I spoke with had no record of a shipment coming to our address. I was a little bit nervous since my fiancee filled out the paperwork and did not make backup copies in case there were any problems, but she obviously did everything right .
gonzotek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 01:04 PM   #157 (Print)
tgmii

Send a message via AIM to tgmii Send a message via Yahoo to tgmii
Smile Yesterday

I mailed my rebate on the last postmark date, and got it yesterday!
tgmii is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 01:22 PM   #158 (Print)
pops_porter

Does anyone else know what version was on their Tivo? Someone said not 7.2 and another person said they were able to use a wireless USB adapter to do guided setup, which is it?
pops_porter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 02:06 PM   #159 (Print)
jgickler
Mr. Rolleyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops_porter
Does anyone else know what version was on their Tivo? Someone said not 7.2 and another person said they were able to use a wireless USB adapter to do guided setup, which is it?

Mine was definately 7.2, I was able to do the guided setup wirelessly, see other networked Tivos and my PC immediately after guided setup. It upgraded to 7.2.1 after the first reboot.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:11 PM   #160 (Print)
MikeMar
Me in Armenia + Flag

Send a message via AIM to MikeMar Send a message via Yahoo to MikeMar
I came home just as the FedEx ground guy was coming up, he asked if i lived in ## and I said yeah and he gave me the package. now there are like 5 houses i could have been going to and he just handed it to me, not a fan of that

But I got it nonetheless

"You got some crazy books going on there, you going to open up H and R Blockian?" The Shield about Armenian Mob
MikeMar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 05:20 PM   #161 (Print)
Gregor
Outinsider

Location: Inside, or Outside, it all depends on your frame of refrence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugzod
Got mine today. I still cannot fathom how spectacular this deal was. I spend 105 bones on something I need and get a free 2nd unit and 3 mos. toward a lifetime.

Thank God I was paying attention during the brief window that this deal was available.

This board rocks.

Yup. I have about 5 ppl at work who are upset with me for not telling them about this.
Gregor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 07:43 PM   #162 (Print)
bmgoodman

Just setting mine up now. It came with 7.2.0 already installed!

Anyone know if the free 3 months is extended for those of us who already have 1 or more units with lifetime?

Aside from the 3-months-free business, I also assume I can get monthly service for $6.95 on this unit, too? Is there some new rule about having to commit for a full year in order to go month-to-month? Is this like a cell phone now?

BTW, I *LOVE* the way Tivo now helps users determine which cable package they subscribe to, rather than having you look at your bill and choose things like "Extended A" or "Extended B" or "Basic". Bravo!
bmgoodman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #163 (Print)
dre_dbldbl

Send a message via AIM to dre_dbldbl
mine's in...

didn't think I'd get one... thought whatTheHey, filled out mail-in and today it came in!

now, if there was only something to watch. on a friday. yeah. boo-hoo me.

i'm finally caught up to the TiVo!
dre_dbldbl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-03-2005, 07:51 PM   #164 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

The 7.2 guided set up, using a wireless adapter, went like a breeze for me today. I'm really quite impressed with it over the old GS. And updating to 7.2.1 was nice as well. Now I just have to wait on the online services priority list and it'll be at the same level as my older 240.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:11 PM   #165 (Print)
elrcastor

I got mine yesterday

1 40 hr TCD540040 (ethernet)

1 40 hr TCD24004A (ethernet) upgraded to 181hr

1 140 hr TCD240140 (ethernet)
elrcastor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 02:01 PM   #166 (Print)
pops_porter

Quick question guys. When do open my Tivo and set things up, assuming it has 7.2, should I plug in the USB wireless adapter before starting up the Tivo or after is turned on. Also, does the 7.2 just allow for me to use the ,#401 with wireless USB or is it straight up allow for internet guided setup. Confused on that. Thanks guys, just want things to go smoothly out of the box.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:36 PM   #167 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Quick question guys. When do open my Tivo and set things up, assuming it has 7.2, should I plug in the USB wireless adapter before starting up the Tivo or after is turned on. Also, does the 7.2 just allow for me to use the ,#401 with wireless USB or is it straight up allow for internet guided setup. Confused on that. Thanks guys, just want things to go smoothly out of the box.
Assuming it has 7.2, there won't be any need to ,#401. I plugged the adapter in before plugging in the TiVo and had absolutely zero problems setting up. It literally guided me through everything. I used a Netgear WG111 that I picked up from Best Buy that had a little "TiVo Compatible" logo with the TiVo guy on the packaging.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:03 PM   #168 (Print)
bugzod

Quote:

I plugged my proper netgear WG111 in prior to plugging the unit in the first time. It blinked while powering up. Went through the GS without problems and when I got to the "make a call" stage , I chose connect through the network. It then found my wireless network automatically, asked me for my WEP code and boom, it was ready to go.

Channel set-up was much easier this time, too. Overall, it was amazingly easier than when I did it a year ago.

The biggest problem was finding a remote code for my Circuit City branded ESA TV.
It took about ten minutes pushing buttons on the remote searching until it worked. But even after it worked, I still didn't know the code.
bugzod is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2005, 09:00 AM   #169 (Print)
jgickler
Mr. Rolleyes

I assumed that I would have to use the phone connection, so I did not connect my wireless adapter right away, but was pleasantly suprised to find that I could use the wireless adapter for guided setup. After I selected connect using a network connection, it asked me to plug in the adapter, I did, and it found everything correctly. So if you forget to plug in the adapter when you start GS, don't worry.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:34 PM   #170 (Print)
jlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman
Is there some new rule about having to commit for a full year in order to go month-to-month? Is this like a cell phone now?

On rebate offers and boxes in general, there is usually a service committment now. However, on this particular deal, the use of the gift subscription of 3 months negates the committment. You will not be penalized if you cancel after that time. Of course, why would you cancel?

Old 12-06-2005, 02:03 PM   #171 (Print)
bmgoodman

Big Grin

I'd only cancel if the box had a problem after I "accidentally" upgraded the hard drive!
bmgoodman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2005, 03:26 PM   #172 (Print)
pops_porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgickler
I assumed that I would have to use the phone connection, so I did not connect my wireless adapter right away, but was pleasantly suprised to find that I could use the wireless adapter for guided setup. After I selected connect using a network connection, it asked me to plug in the adapter, I did, and it found everything correctly. So if you forget to plug in the adapter when you start GS, don't worry.

Excellent! Thanks for the input.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:11 PM   #173 (Print)
jhhyde

Send a message via Yahoo to jhhyde
Possible water damage on received unit

I finally got my free Tivo last Saturday. I immediately noticed something strange before I even opened the shipping box. The shipping box was white and pasted on the outside was what appeared to be the shipping label torn off from a brown box. When I opened the white box there was a plastic bag inside and inside that bag was the 3 month gift certificate, the packing slip and a couple of other pieces of paper. But they were all damp. When I took the Tivo box out of the plastic bag I noticed that the bottom of it was also damp and a little misshapened.

So who do I call about not wanting to accept a Tivo that potentially has been sitting in water? I have not opened the actual orange Tivo box yet. Is it Dockers/JC Penney, or Fedex, or Tivo that should handle this issue? I tried calling the 800 number on the Dockers/JC Penney form repeatedly but there is never any answer.

I am reluctant to activate this box because of it's potential to have a much shorter than normal life.

Any advice would be appreciated, guys and gals.

Thanks
jhhyde is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 09:18 PM   #174 (Print)
miadlor

It comes straight from TiVo so give them a call ( I received a letter/receipt from them stating my order) and it does come in a brown box.
miadlor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2005, 11:43 AM   #175 (Print)
ms01814

I was originally rejected and had to resubmit. I got my Tivo yesterday.

However, the 3 months gift subscription doesn't seem to work. The paperwork says to wait 24 hours or so after the first failure.

Anybody else have a problem activating it with the gift subscription (paying monthly)?
ms01814 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2005, 11:44 AM   #176 (Print)
MikeMar
Me in Armenia + Flag

Send a message via AIM to MikeMar Send a message via Yahoo to MikeMar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms01814
Anybody else have a problem activating it with the gift subscription (paying monthly)?

Nope, worked fine for me.

"You got some crazy books going on there, you going to open up H and R Blockian?" The Shield about Armenian Mob
MikeMar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-24-2005, 03:49 PM   #177 (Print)
a237916
Tivo Teri

Send a message via AIM to a237916 Send a message via Yahoo to a237916
Rejected Certificate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms01814
I was originally rejected and had to resubmit. I got my Tivo yesterday.

However, the 3 months gift subscription doesn't seem to work. The paperwork says to wait 24 hours or so after the first failure.

I was able to get a 5 day temporary activation when this happened to me. I was told that not all of the the gift certificate codes were put into the computer. I checked back 4 days after my temporary activation, and they still hadn't resolved it. If I were you I'd just call and explain that you got the TIVO from the Docker's promotion and ask for a supervisor. Everyone I spoke to about the certificate problem was really helpful...but it did take 3 calls to TIVO to get it fully resolved! Incidentally, I did sign up for monthly as well...but this doesn't seem to be related to the issue with the gift certificate.

Good luck!
a237916 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post