TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-13-2004, 03:56 PM   #1 (Print)
limboroom

Is my Hughes DVR40 a Series 2? ( and other newbie q's)

howdy,

complete newbie, just got DirecTV with a Hughes DVR40 Tivo box a few days ago.

can anyone please tell me if this is a Series 2 box? will this box get the Software Upgrade (for quicker guide, etc.) that i have read about in other threads?

plus, i plan on upgrading the HD to a 120. if the box is eligible for the Software Upgrade, should i wait until it is released before i do the HD upgrade?

many thanks,
mark
limboroom is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 04:08 PM   #2 (Print)
TooMuchTV
Excitable Member

Yep, it's a series 2. As far as everyone knows, all of the series 2 boxes will be getting the new software update. It's still a little unclear whether some of the speed improvements are due to the faster CPU in the new R10 DTivos or because of the new software (or both).

As far as the HD upgrade is concerened, if all you are going to do is upgrade/replace the drive it won't make any difference if you do it now or later. You will still get the new software loaded on the new drive if you replace it now. I would recommend replacing the drive now because it is quickest to copy only the software and not all your programs in the upgrade process. If you wait, you will have much more that you will want to copy.

Remember to keep your old drive in a safe place just in case you ever need to use it again.

HDVR2 - 40 hours
TooMuchTV is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 04:54 PM   #3 (Print)
Jonathan_S

A 120 GB harddrive is too small for LBA48 support to matter. (The 6.1 software on the R10 has LBA48 support; for drives bigger than 137 GB, the 3.1 software on your DVR40 doesn't)

If you were going to use a 160 GB drive then waiting to see if your TiVo upgraded to 6.1 w/ LBA48 support would let you use the whole disk, rather than only the first 137 GB; but as you planning to use a 120 this is irrelevant.

Go ahead and upgrade now.