THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-25-2005, 07:19 AM   #361 (Print)
MHardee

Quote:
Originally Posted by schell
I would have the rainbow color problem a couple times a month

Had it again yesterday and the only thing thta (still) corrects it is to go throught the three-four minute reboot of the DVR - Geez, I wish someone at DTV could figure this out!

I jiggled cables, pause/play - nothing works..
MHardee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-23-2005, 09:43 PM   #362 (Print)
RcP

Hardee, I am in the exact same boat as you. I also have a Mitishubi projection T.V and ever since the 6.2 patch the color never went back to normal for me. I called DirecTV 4-5 times and they wouldnt replace it. So I wrote the BBB and I had a new R10 on my porch in 3 days. Now the R10 still does the color issue, maybe 5-10% of the time...but with the older DVR it was 90% of the time after the patch.... the R10 they gave me did the exact same thing my old DVR did before the 6.2 patch.
Hopes this helps, Sry about the typos.
Thx.
RcP is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-24-2005, 08:50 AM   #363 (Print)
MHardee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcP
Hardee, I am in the exact same boat as you. I also have a Mitishubi projection T.V and ever since the 6.2 patch the color never went back to normal for me. I called DirecTV 4-5 times and they wouldnt replace it. So I wrote the BBB and I had a new R10 on my porch in 3 days. Now the R10 still does the color issue, maybe 5-10% of the time...but with the older DVR it was 90% of the time after the patch.... the R10 they gave me did the exact same thing my old DVR did before the 6.2 patch.
Hopes this helps, Sry about the typos.
Thx.

What is odd is I noticed for the last week, the color is better and I have not seen the color fade - I did nothing.
I am wondering if DTV has sent an update that has helped this issue - when it was happening, the pause, play, change channel has gotten it back for me 99% of the time... better than one of those 5 minute reboots with the R10..
MHardee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-24-2005, 09:01 AM   #364 (Print)
Langree
Goomba

Send a message via AIM to Langree
Oh god, any time this thread is bumped my DTivo instinctively loses color.

Langree's hit the nail on the head. -- AJRitz
Beaten to the punch by Langree. -- Clutchbrake
Reading Langree's next post makes me feel better. -- Hoffer
Langree is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-31-2005, 04:52 PM   #365 (Print)
SteveTrek

Not knowing this (large) thread existed, I started a new one today (oops).

Neither my HDVR2 nor my DVR40 deliver a color picture EVER to my 15 year old Mitsubiti TV. I have 2 DVRs and 3 SAT only receivers. I swapped each out and connected it to this TV. The following was reported in that other thread:

No Color output from DirecTivo on TV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 15 year old Mitsubiti 27" TV. Recently I received an HR10-250 to replace my older HDVR2. I took my HDVR2 and connected it to this Mitsubiti TV. There is no color on the TIVO menus or the program material (or pre-recorded material). For testing, I connected annother DTivo (RCA DVR40) to this TV and got the same result! Completely confused, I connected one of my older Hughes SAT only receivers, GAEBOA, and it produced color output on this TV just fine! I originally had a Hughes HIRD-E4 connected to this TV and it worked fine. I have a Pioneer DVD player connected to the same port on the TV with the same cables and it works fine!

Is there some low signal issue on the DirecTivos that this older TV cannot handle?
I connected both these DTivos to 3 other TVs in my house (all within 6 years old) and they worked fine.

Is there any way to adjust the signal output of the HDVR2 to "get it to work" with my 15 year old Mitsubiti 27" TV?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading many of these reports here, it seams that either the frequency of the color burst on the signal is slightly off (such that newer TVs are more forgiving) or the amplitude of the color burst signal is too low on these DirecTivos.

I don't believe that its a signal degredation from the multi-switch or dish, otherwise the menus would be in color. To me this is strictly a DTivo output circuit problem. It would be "nice" if DirecTV would let us know if there is a pot allowing adjustment on the output driver. I suppose that would be asking a lot but maybe their service techs could do it. I'm assuming that the designers were smart enough to include some output adjustment on the board.

I suppose I'll investigate a "new" TV for use with this DTivo.

MRV is Great!
SteveTrek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-04-2005, 06:32 PM   #366 (Print)
SoyJames

Just to add to the fray:

I started losing color on my Hughes HDVR40 sometime last month. Before that it went a year without any problems at all.

The picture would be in black and white when we first turned on the system (either from Standby, turn on the TV, or turn on the audio receiver). After a few minutes the color would come back. At that point turning off any unit (tv, tivo, or receiver) would restart the whole process again. Also noticed that just changing the receiver selection (switching on FM radio for example) would send the tivo back to B&W. As would changing the input selection of the TV. Strange that pressing buttons on other devices affects the color signal of the Tivo...

I suspected that it was a heat problem and moved the Tivo out of the cabinet, away from all other heat. The problem actually got worse.

Since then the time for the tivo to return to color gradually took longer and longer, until now it appears that the color will never come back.

Pressing remote buttons does nothing. Jiggling cables does nothing. Rebooting does nothing.

I just checked the internal temperature after reading these posts and it reads 48°C (!!!). I guess I'll work on getting that down next.

TV is an older Sharp 27". I connect the TIVO to a Sony receiver via composite.

Is it also possible that I am describing something completely different? Perhaps the color in my Tivo is really dead? Is that possible? I would straight away go buy a new "DirecTivo" but it appears that would be a bad idea...
SoyJames is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-06-2005, 09:39 PM   #367 (Print)
SteveTrek

SoyJames,

I think the problem (generally) is your old TV. Don't get me wrong... I still think that the output drive section of the DirecTivos have problems, but the problems seem to be with older TVs. Since my last post, I convinced my wife to let me purchase a Sharp 37" LCD TV, list at $1999.99 at CostCo over the weekend. They went so fast that by the time I made the decision, a day later after viewing the unit at Costco, they had none left and were selling the display unit. I got $200 off of that for $1799 plus tax. Thought I got a great deal! Anyway, I plugged the unit in and connected the same two DirecTivos to it and both show color content with no problems. So, if you can find a deal, get a new monitor. Otherwise, your chances of getting your old TV to work with the DTivos is probably slim unless you are a TV technician and can put a scope on the output signal and find a pot to adjust on the DTivo.

Good Luck.

MRV is Great!
SteveTrek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #368 (Print)
Nutiket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmielk
I have the R10 (bought it in December). Before that, I had the Hughes DVR80 before that (for one week only). They both exhibited the loss of color problem.

I can make the R10 lose color anytime I want by just sufing through the channels at a fast rate. It happens every day for me. Fortunately, I can get the color to return by doing the same thing again (going down in channels seems to work better than going up).

Just wanted to add my 2 week old R10 to the list of machines that seem to have desaturation / rainbow colors after changing channels some times. It has happened twice since I picked up this unit. Jimmie's fix above about going down on the channel selector rapidly seems to fix it. That is much faster than a restart, which was my previous method of fixing it.

Old 09-12-2005, 05:30 PM   #369 (Print)
SoyJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTrek
SoyJames,

I think the problem (generally) is your old TV. Don't get me wrong... I still think that the output drive section of the DirecTivos have problems, but the problems seem to be with older TVs. ...

Thanks for the reply Steve. I did purchase a new R10 the other day ( I could use the extra HD space anyway ), and still have color problems. Not exactly the same though. If I watch very carefully when I change the channel, just for a split second I can see the screen go B&W. Sometimes it stays B&W for a few seconds, but so far it has always gone back to color fairly quickly. I can live with that for a while I suppose.

I hooked up my old Hughes unit to another TV (an even older one that I had to use the coax cable with) and for a whole day it stayed in color (until DirecTV zapped it, "NO EXTRA SATELLITE RECEIVER FOR YOU!!!").
SoyJames is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-12-2005, 05:33 PM   #370 (Print)
Nutiket

SoyJames, mine does the same thing, and if you change channels too quickly, it will stay that way with the color. Seems to be a flaw in the R10, nothing wrong with your Television or cabling.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:32 PM   #371 (Print)
vigfoot

i don't know if the problem is the same w/ my recently purchased 708. my screen darkens, then brightens. today it went blank for about 4 seconds, came back dark, then intermittently was ok/dark for about a minute.

so far, my 'free' upgrade has been less than thrilling.
vigfoot is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-16-2005, 07:41 PM   #372 (Print)
Scott Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDogs
Can anyone who has seen this problem verify that they have more than one audio/video source going into their sets? I have had the problem on a rear projection and a tube set. Both with multiple audio/video sources.

I have my DirecTivo S-Video to my main 32" TV and then COAX out split to 4 other TV's including the 32".

When it goes B&W I get it on both the S-Video out AND the COAX out. So it HAS to be internal to the Box.

I'm at 49C temp (listed as NORMAL). I'll do something about that and see if it reduces. This has become a regular ocurrance lately, but for no more than about a minute or two. Until recently it had happened only once or twice in the last 2.5 years.

--Scott
Scott Gold is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 04:25 AM   #373 (Print)
KrazyKevin

I'm just replieing to this because it popped up in my email. I haven't had a b/w experience in a while now. I'd say more than 6mo. Don't know if its the signal or the box. But, I will keep a watch out.
KrazyKevin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 12:35 PM   #374 (Print)
schell

I havent had it since the 6.2 firmware, many months ago
schell is offline Report Bad Post Report Post