TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE
 


 

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

 
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2005, 11:23 PM   #1 (Print)
Spiff
Pawn in game of life
 
Spiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fox Cities, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,092
God would never interrupt the best game of my life...

No, this isn't a movie quote thread.

I was playing around with the games earlier this evening. I was about 50,000 points into Space Invaders and going strong. It seemed I could do no wrong, getting rid of entire screens before they shifted down even once.

Then the tornado sirens went off.

My wife and kids came downstairs. Should I quit? Nah, I'm really close to beating the high score with tons of lives left. I lost a couple when my daughter distracted me. But I kept playing. My wife called out that the tornado was reportedly only about 2 miles away. Hey, I was in the basement. What else would I do? Watch the news and worry?

So I kept playing while the kids got in their tent and my wife watched the news. I lost the game after many points, and the storm blew over.

It was the first time I'd played the game, too. It just all fell together. I doubt I could do it again.
Spiff is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-18-2005, 11:28 PM   #2 (Print)
tarrkid
Mouth-breather
 
tarrkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Floyds Knobs, IN
Posts: 1,505
That's a tough call, but I think you made the right choice.

__________________
52.88% of the man I used to be
"Never leave your child where you wouldn't leave a million dollars." - Havana Brown
tarrkid is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-18-2005, 11:45 PM   #3 (Print)
mrpantstm
Well aren't you
 
mrpantstm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 4,614
"In other news tonight, a local wisconsin man was seen spinning in the eye of the tornado. Reports say he was desperately trying to keep his keyboard, monitor and computer together despite the 80mph winds."

mrpantstm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-19-2005, 12:52 AM   #4 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer
 
hefe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Round Lake, IL
Posts: 13,498
Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff
Then the tornado sirens went off.

My wife and kids came downstairs. Should I quit? Nah, I'm really close to beating the high score with tons of lives left. I lost a couple when my daughter distracted me. But I kept playing. My wife called out that the tornado was reportedly only about 2 miles away. Hey, I was in the basement. What else would I do? Watch the news and worry?


Where in Wisconsin are you? I'm in northern Illinois, and I saw an impressive storm track across the north. I posted pictures of it. Perhaps it's what hit you...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...6&&#post3161906
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-19-2005, 12:52 AM   #5 (Print)
YCantAngieRead
Fizzle ma nizzle.
 
YCantAngieRead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Clinton, Illinois
Posts: 17,648
Send a message via AIM to YCantAngieRead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff
No, this isn't a movie quote thread.

I was playing around with the games earlier this evening. I was about 50,000 points into Space Invaders and going strong. It seemed I could do no wrong, getting rid of entire screens before they shifted down even once.

Then the tornado sirens went off.

My wife and kids came downstairs. Should I quit? Nah, I'm really close to beating the high score with tons of lives left. I lost a couple when my daughter distracted me. But I kept playing. My wife called out that the tornado was reportedly only about 2 miles away. Hey, I was in the basement. What else would I do? Watch the news and worry?

So I kept playing while the kids got in their tent and my wife watched the news. I lost the game after many points, and the storm blew over.

It was the first time I'd played the game, too. It just all fell together. I doubt I could do it again.


Shoot, two miles? I'd be hard-pressed to go downstairs if I had a high-score on an upstairs computer.

However, judging by the storms I've been through in the last couple of years, my judgement isn't that great on this matter. Kansans are funny that way.

Edit: By the way, part of that storm is here right now. I'm sitting here listening to some really cool thunder-not the earth shattering kind, but the kinda loud rolling kind.

__________________
"Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren't very new at all." - Abraham Lincoln


New Here? Introduce Yourself!

YCantAngieRead is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-19-2005, 09:18 AM   #6 (Print)
Spiff
Pawn in game of life
 
Spiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fox Cities, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,092
Amazing pics, hefe! Just awesome. I'm sure it was along the same storm front, but I'm up just south of Green Bay.
Spiff is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-19-2005, 09:24 AM   #7 (Print)
MikeMar
Me in Armenia + Flag
 
MikeMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 5,332
Send a message via AIM to MikeMar Send a message via Yahoo to MikeMar
I was at the high score (it was yesterday) and i could have kept going, but i got an important call and you can't pause the damn game!

Edit - Woops I ment asteroids, wrong game

How do you get them all before they shift down, just keep shooting the lead ones?

__________________
"Mike's Hard Lemonade - in honor of mikemar's new avatar" Waldingrl

"You got some crazy books going on there, you going to open up H and R Blockian?" The Shield about Armenian Mob
MikeMar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-20-2005, 08:17 PM   #8 (Print)
Spiff
Pawn in game of life
 
Spiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fox Cities, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,092
Yeah, I just start on the right side and hold the space bar down, and kill them all before they shift down.

Holy CRAP! Check out the high score that beat me! Over twice my score, in 1/4 of the time? They must know something I don't!
Spiff is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-20-2005, 09:27 PM   #9 (Print)
tarrkid
Mouth-breather
 
tarrkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Floyds Knobs, IN
Posts: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff
Yeah, I just start on the right side and hold the space bar down, and kill them all before they shift down.

Holy CRAP! Check out the high score that beat me! Over twice my score, in 1/4 of the time? They must know something I don't!
I'm not positive the timers are reporting accurately. At one time it told me my Asteroids score of 24k or so was a 22 second game.

__________________
52.88% of the man I used to be
"Never leave your child where you wouldn't leave a million dollars." - Havana Brown
tarrkid is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
 
Forum Jump
Thread Tools

Go Back  TiVo Community Archive2 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > The Fun House

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C)opyright - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not affiliated with TiVo Inc.


Spider History Index