Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-18-2005, 11:23 PM   #1 (Print)
Spiff
Pawn in game of life

God would never interrupt the best game of my life...

No, this isn't a movie quote thread.

I was playing around with the games earlier this evening. I was about 50,000 points into Space Invaders and going strong. It seemed I could do no wrong, getting rid of entire screens before they shifted down even once.

Then the tornado sirens went off.

My wife and kids came downstairs. Should I quit? Nah, I'm really close to beating the high score with tons of lives left. I lost a couple when my daughter distracted me. But I kept playing. My wife called out that the tornado was reportedly only about 2 miles away. Hey, I was in the basement. What else would I do? Watch the news and worry?

So I kept playing while the kids got in their tent and my wife watched the news. I lost the game after many points, and the storm blew over.

It was the first time I'd played the game, too. It just all fell together. I doubt I could do it again.
Spiff is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-18-2005, 11:28 PM   #2 (Print)
tarrkid
Mouth-breather

That's a tough call, but I think you made the right choice.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:45 PM   #3 (Print)
mrpantstm
Well aren't you

"In other news tonight, a local wisconsin man was seen spinning in the eye of the tornado. Reports say he was desperately trying to keep his keyboard, monitor and computer together despite the 80mph winds."

mrpantstm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-19-2005, 12:52 AM   #4 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff

My wife and kids came downstairs. Should I quit? Nah, I'm really close to beating the high score with tons of lives left. I lost a couple when my daughter distracted me. But I kept playing. My wife called out that the tornado was reportedly only about 2 miles away. Hey, I was in the basement. What else would I do? Watch the news and worry?

Where in Wisconsin are you? I'm in northern Illinois, and I saw an impressive storm track across the north. I posted pictures of it. Perhaps it's what hit you...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...6&&#post3161906
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-19-2005, 12:52 AM   #5 (Print)
YCantAngieRead
Fizzle ma nizzle.

Send a message via AIM to YCantAngieRead
Quote:
No, this isn't a movie quote thread.

I was playing around with the games earlier this evening. I was about 50,000 points into Space Invaders and going strong. It seemed I could do no wrong, getting rid of entire screens before they shifted down even once.

So I kept playing while the kids got in their tent and my wife watched the news. I lost the game after many points, and the storm blew over.

It was the first time I'd played the game, too. It just all fell together. I doubt I could do it again.

Shoot, two miles? I'd be hard-pressed to go downstairs if I had a high-score on an upstairs computer.

However, judging by the storms I've been through in the last couple of years, my judgement isn't that great on this matter. Kansans are funny that way.

Edit: By the way, part of that storm is here right now. I'm sitting here listening to some really cool thunder-not the earth shattering kind, but the kinda loud rolling kind.

New Here? Introduce Yourself!

YCantAngieRead is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-19-2005, 09:18 AM   #6 (Print)
Spiff
Pawn in game of life

Amazing pics, hefe! Just awesome. I'm sure it was along the same storm front, but I'm up just south of Green Bay.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:24 AM   #7 (Print)
MikeMar
Me in Armenia + Flag

Send a message via AIM to MikeMar Send a message via Yahoo to MikeMar
I was at the high score (it was yesterday) and i could have kept going, but i got an important call and you can't pause the damn game!

Edit - Woops I ment asteroids, wrong game

How do you get them all before they shift down, just keep shooting the lead ones?

"You got some crazy books going on there, you going to open up H and R Blockian?" The Shield about Armenian Mob
MikeMar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-20-2005, 08:17 PM   #8 (Print)
Spiff
Pawn in game of life

Yeah, I just start on the right side and hold the space bar down, and kill them all before they shift down.

Holy CRAP! Check out the high score that beat me! Over twice my score, in 1/4 of the time? They must know something I don't!
Old 08-20-2005, 09:27 PM   #9 (Print)
tarrkid
Mouth-breather

Quote:
Yeah, I just start on the right side and hold the space bar down, and kill them all before they shift down.

Holy CRAP! Check out the high score that beat me! Over twice my score, in 1/4 of the time? They must know something I don't!
I'm not positive the timers are reporting accurately. At one time it told me my Asteroids score of 24k or so was a 22 second game.