Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 06-30-2004, 08:40 AM   #1 (Print)
afrobabe

daily call troubles

brought an upgraded tivo off ebay, and am having problems getting it to successfully make a daily call. Checked my phone line, am with ntl, there was noise on the line and the engineers fixed that. The only way it will make a daily call or test call is if you turn tivo off at mains and then switch back on. This problem was evident when I tried to go through the guided setup and the tivo hung whilst trying to make the first call. Spoke to tivo and they will swap my tivo for another, something I don't want to do as the one I get back will have a minute amount of space in comparison.
have peeked through some of the posts to try to figure out what is happening, can't see any which relate specifically, so I am wondering, if this has happened to anyone else and whether in a last case scenario I can swap out my modem for a new one, and how difficult that would be?
many thanks in advance

Old 06-30-2004, 09:58 AM   #2 (Print)
iankb

If you have a permanent internet connection, you might want to consider the alternative of adding a network card and performing the daily updates that way. Might be easier than replacing the modem.

If going for a swap-out, you might want to buy a 40GB drive and replace your larger drive(s) with that. Unfortunately, you will probably get a secondhand drive or two back, but they can always be handy in a PC. I doubt that anybody will complain if the drive has not been initialised, and you might be able to buy a secondhand drive off eBay.

If the swapout that Customer Services offered you is an out-of-warranty chargeable swapout (~£90), then it would be better to get Pacelink to replace the modem for you, since they will return the original machine and drives.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus
iankb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-03-2004, 07:59 AM   #3 (Print)
incognito56

You didn't mention how big your disk drive was. I had this exact same problem with a 200gb drive. Because of problems with my TV (see other threads for details), I had to download software version 2.5.5a (you may want to check to see if you have the "a" version).

When I bought my TiVo it had been hacked to add a new kernel to allow me to access the entire drive. Unfortunately, the new software doesn't have the new kernel and would allow me to access only 137gb of my drive unless I reinstalled the new kernel (again, plenty of details in other threads). It also caused the problem of having to reboot the TiVo each time I wanted to do an update call. My hard disk recently died and is now in for (I hope) repairs.
incognito56 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-05-2004, 04:19 AM   #4 (Print)
afrobabe

I believe it's 120gb, got 139hrs at basic and 40hrs at best.
I had problems with me tivo not working with my tv, sony kv32fx68, but that's sorted, have got the 2.5.5a version software. So now it's just this daily call inconvenience, am waiting for pacelink to come back from holiday so I can get them to replace the modem, will speak to the guy who I brought it off ebay to see if he has any idea, apart from that am just unplugging it and then plugging it back in to get that daily call to work...

Old 07-05-2004, 05:51 AM   #5 (Print)
healeydave
tivoland.com

So does it appear that the 2.5.5a upgrade from tivo causes the modem to become unreliable?

I think there was a modem update quite a long time ago from tivo and I'm wondering if the 2.5.5a update has reverted the o/s back to some kind of version that was problematic with modems!?!?

Can any of the long standing member's add anything to this. I know there was some kind of modem check during boot to see if anything needed to be updated, does it check the version or something, its been a long time since I've seen this so its a bit vague.

Old 07-05-2004, 02:46 PM   #6 (Print)
incognito56

If it is because of 2.5.5a then there must be lots of people out there with this issue. I assumed there be whole threads about it. However, very few people would have installed a large hard drive and then downloaded 2.5.5a without installing the new kernel. I thought it might have something to do with that combination of events.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:59 PM   #7 (Print)
healeydave
tivoland.com

Yes, but I don't see how the size of a drive and 2.5.5a can have any relevance to causing the modem to only work once.

Perhaps more of an explanation of the fault may help? , the way I understand it (please correct / add where neccessary).

You had a 200gb drive with lba48 kernal installed. You discover you need 2.5.5a because your tv has that damn phillips chip. Tivo CS instructs a dload which updates you system (and we are assuming that this overwrites the Kernal to a non lba48 compliant version) I wonder if anyone can confirm this 100% ?
After this, your tv works fine, but your tivo fails to connect using the modem any more unless you cold boot?

This is where is gets a little cloudy, so when you cold boot, I take it if you initiate an test dial, it works, when exactly does it stop working?
After the first test goes through successfully, are we saying a second and consecutive tests would fail???

Old 07-05-2004, 03:02 PM   #8 (Print)
incognito56

You have it correct. I could initiate a call or wait until the next scheduled call. In any event, only one call would work. Any further calls would fail.

I think you are right about it not being an issue with the size of the drive. See further discussion on http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...641#post2070641
Old 07-05-2004, 03:09 PM   #9 (Print)
Rob Nespor Bellis
Grumpy Sod

Hmmm I can But I think not in this specific case.....

If you have a drive larger >137GB then you would have a. changed the kernel to a lba48 one, and b. changed the swap to a larger one.

Now. if the TiVo is upgraded to 2.5.5a then the kernel will be a non lba48 kernel, more likely than not it will then not be able to see the new enlarged swap partition, which means the TiVo is running on the standard 16MB of RAM only, this means the indexer cannot run which causes problems with the daily call ( there may be other problems also YMMV ). w^5.

As an aside the modem update code is run every boot from rc.sysinit, you can either comment it out, or delete the file that does the update, this is normally however only applicable when the modem is fried as the TiVo will not boot properly with the code in place.

Rgds,

R.
Rob Nespor Bellis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-05-2004, 03:52 PM   #10 (Print)
healeydave
tivoland.com

Rob, that sounds plausable, so are we basically saying:

Anyone running a larger than 137gb drive and accessing all the space by way of the LBA48 kernal, if they get a 2.5.5a update from tivo (after the fact) , they need to re-instate the kernal and swapfile to prevent possible modem problems.

I mean I suppose most people would not want to be left with the stock kernal and hence wasting their big drive, but I can see how people could end up in that situation, if they have not upgraded the drives themselves in the first place (e.g. purchased it ready done).

Does anyone know if you write a 2.5.5a image to a drive and test it in a tivo that is not tagged at tivo as requiring 2.5.5a, would it get updated back to 2.5.5?
I have tried this today but I can't be sure of the results.
I wrote 2.5.5a to a new drive and tested it in a tivo not tagged as requiring 2.5.5a
On doing a force daily call, it took ages to download which made me suspect it was downloading more than just guide data :-)
Sure enough after it was finished, it said pending restart, so I did and on boot up it informed me it was updating the tivo. This was quite quick though and on boot up, the system information screen still registers as being 2.5.5a although I'm not totally convinced!

Old 07-05-2004, 04:11 PM   #11 (Print)
Rob Nespor Bellis
Grumpy Sod

Dave,

2.5.5a I am *guessing* it will probably pull down the update because there is a version mismatch on the TiVo servers, but the TiVo itself will not update because it recognises that 2.5.5a is more recent than 2.5.5

I *know* you know what you are doing, but generally this would fall under the MORON(TM) category

Rgds,

R.
Rob Nespor Bellis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-05-2004, 04:23 PM   #12 (Print)
healeydave
tivoland.com

Ok, cool, I thought that might be the case due to the expedient boot after stating it was updating.

What I'm trying to achieve here is making this thread valuable to future people who might find themselves in the same boat. (particularly as this phillips chip seems to be getting more profilic in more and more sets and of-course people are constantly updating their tv's all the time, so its a bit like russian roulette)

If they see this thread and realise that all they need to do is re-establish the lba48 kernal and swap file, (if they had an expanded tivo) I think that it will be of immense use!!

I don't think the relationship to getting an update like 2.5.5a and suffering modem problems a few days later after 1 x successful call will be entirely obvious to many people to be honest.

Old 07-05-2004, 04:31 PM   #13 (Print)
incognito56

Quote:
Originally posted by healeydave

I don't think the relationship to getting an update like 2.5.5a and suffering modem problems a few days later after 1 x successful call will be entirely obvious to many people to be honest.

It wasn't obvious to me - took me a couple of weeks to notice that the updates were not happening! I finally noticed the date of the last successful call and put 2 and 2 together.

Last edited by incognito56 : 07-05-2004 at 04:44 PM.