July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-06-2004, 07:25 AM   #1 (Print)
Jezzar

Send a message via ICQ to Jezzar
Question I want one - but...

I've pretty much fallen for the idea of a Tivo. Series one I think. But I have a couple of questions / concerns that I'm hoping can be sorted here!

1. Will I be able to purchase a lifetime subscription, and will it be ok for some years to come? Perhaps this is an uncertainty and I should pay monthly? What are the service continuity guarantees?

2. I undestand I can telnet to it to program it remotely. Wow! What do I do for a network card, are they standard PCI or this there a 'special source' for them?

3. Also on the telnet side of things, is there a particular type of box that I should be looking for to help this?

Thanks!
Jezzar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-06-2004, 07:32 AM   #2 (Print)
DaveP

Hi, You can still purchase a lifetime sub but no-one on here knows anymore than you whether Tivo UK will still be around in a couple of years. If you pay monthly you will probably regret it in a couple of years time but that's life!

As you are in the UK forum I assume you are in the UK in which case you will only get a series 1 box. You will need a special card to network the TIvo, there are various options open to you. Have a look around there are quite a few posts on the subject!

Most people use a PC to link to the Tivo. If you know Linux then so much the better!

Dave
DaveP is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-06-2004, 08:41 AM   #3 (Print)
Jezzar

Thanks Dave. Yes, am in the UK. I did post this to what turned out to be a US forum before, not sure who was more confused - them or me. Wondered why they were saying 'Just use the USB interface'. Pah.

Reckon I will take the plunge and go for a lifetime - fingers crossed.

Series 1 will do fine - just need to find the network card for it. The telnet interests me because I guess it means I can program it when I'm at work ) You mention linking it to a PC - is there special software for this?
Old 07-06-2004, 08:53 AM   #4 (Print)
bradleyem

Send a message via MSN to bradleyem Send a message via Yahoo to bradleyem
you won't want to allow telnet out onto the internet - it's not password protected. You need Tivoweb (or the new Tivoweb plus) to allow you to set your Tivo remotely.

You can either allow the Tivo through an external router, or use a linux proxy such as Apache or onersep (excuse spelling).

As for network cards, Turbonet or a Cachecard is what you need.
There are plenty of threads here about that. Try a search.

bradleyem is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-06-2004, 10:46 AM   #5 (Print)
Jezzar

Thanks! One question then - what's the difference between a 'Stand-alone' tivo and a 'DirecTV tivo'

Which one do I want?!
Old 07-06-2004, 11:08 AM   #6 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

There is only one UK compatible model - the Thomson PVR10 - which is a stand-alone.

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-06-2004, 02:49 PM   #7 (Print)
Fatbloke

Cough - another chance to plug my upgrade pages for wireless networking to Tivo and Tivoweb installation. It's all here

FB

120G TiVo 6023 Airnet enabled. NTL PACE 1000 Cable Box. Sony KV32FX60 Tv. Pinnacle Showcenter. Netgem Iplayer DTV
See my UK TiVo upgrade diary - LARGE disk upgrades, Cachecard install, Airnet install, Tivoweb and Mobile Tivo
Fatbloke is offline Report Bad Post Report Post