Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-06-2004, 04:15 PM   #1 (Print)
Jon S

Bug with Remote Control Settings

Is it a known bug that even if you set a remote to personal setting (i.e. 1) that it is still able to control a TiVo with a personal setting (i.e. 2)? I was amazed to discover this was the case and always thought a TiVo with a personal setting was only operable by a remote with exactly the same setting (in the 1 to 9 range) or a 0 setting.

This is incredibly dangerous so I will be ensuring that my TiVo's remain in separate rooms without the possibility of receiving an IR signal from each other. Despite having different settings I was operating one TiVo and found by chance it had tried to Save to VCR on the other. Very disturbing.
Jon S is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-06-2004, 11:08 PM   #2 (Print)
number_6

Re: Bug with Remote Control Settings

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon S
Is it a known bug that even if you set a remote to personal setting (i.e. 1) that it is still able to control a TiVo with a personal setting (i.e. 2)? I was amazed to discover this was the case and always thought a TiVo with a personal setting was only operable by a remote with exactly the same setting (in the 1 to 9 range) or a 0 setting.

This is incredibly dangerous so I will be ensuring that my TiVo's remain in separate rooms without the possibility of receiving an IR signal from each other. Despite having different settings I was operating one TiVo and found by chance it had tried to Save to VCR on the other. Very disturbing.

You have make sure that both the Remote AND the Tivo are set to the same Remote Control Number (and that must not be the default remote code of 0).

If the Tivo Remote control number is set to Zero then it will control every Tivo that receives its signals - even if that Tivos remote control number is not 0.

If the Tivos remote number (as set up in System Information Screen) is set to 0, then it will respond to ALL Tivo remotes, even those without zero as the remote code!!!

And yes, before you ask, this behaviour is by design - go read the Tivo manual about this, it explains the behaviour very clearly.

I have 4 Tivos in the same room, and each has its own Remote code and the matching remote has the same remote code set up and they all keep out of each others way.

To do this you have to make sure each Remote has the same remote code as the Tivo its supposed to control [I've labelled all the remotes so I know what Tivo a remote will control.

Secondly, having done this, do NOT EVER go in to (or stay in) the System Informtion Screen on a Tivo and then use one of the other Tivo remotes with a different Tivo remote code (i.e. use a remote other than the one set up for this Tivo). Otherwise, if you do, then any key presses on any other Tivo remote (other than one currently with the matching remote code) will result in the Tivo(s) which is/are displaying the System Information screen setting itself/themselves to that remotes user code from then on, which is a recipe for a disaster as you will then have two or more Tivos all under the same Remote.
number_6 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-07-2004, 02:15 AM   #3 (Print)
Jon S

Number 6. You have solved my problem. I did carefully read and re-read the manual and thought I understood it fully. And it appears I did. Your last paragraph explains all (did I miss this in the manual or is it not mentioned?)

I attached both TiVo's to the same TV to set this up. In the respective System Information it very clearly identified my TiVo Remote Settings as 1 and 2. Trouble is I was still in System Information on TiVo 1 whilst I tested out TiVo 2. As subsequent tests have proven while I was navigating around TiVo 2, TiVo 1 changed its remote setting to 2 as well and thus I started randomly accessing TiVo 1 menus.

Personally I think this is wrong. What is the point of the initial fail safe of holding down the TiVo and Pause buttons for three seconds, if the whole process is overidden by simply entering the System Information screen.

I'm going to play safe and keep the TiVo's in separate rooms. Too many innocent hands in the house to trust and understand the impact of entering this screen by design or accident !
Jon S is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-07-2004, 02:19 AM   #4 (Print)
GarySargent

Jon I'd give it a go with both in the same room. I've been using this setup for years with no problems.

Its unlikely anyone would ever go into the system info screen surely? The problem was exagerated in your case because you were setting up and testing IR control. Do this as a "set and forget" operation and you shouldn't have any issues.

Just remember to always exit system information once you have been in there and all will be fine.

http://www.tivobugs.co.uk » List of current bugs and problems.
GarySargent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post