July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-02-2004, 04:14 PM   #1 (Print)
managerxxx

Picture Quality on Aux

Hi

Been having issues for months now with TV on AUX. The picture is flickery and switches between B&W and bright green/pink/blue. TIVO TV is perfect.

I have tried swapping out all cables and have tried every setting possible to no avail. Aux TV was OK from new. My set up is SKY digital from Pace Sky+ box-->TIVO-->RGB2SVIDEO-->AV AMP->Sony TV on AV1

The sky box works OK if I bypass the TIVO;
Other video sources - e.g DVD work fine through the AV Amp;
I have swapped out the RGB2SVIDEO (and have tried bypassing it);
I have tried removing any possible sources of interference to no avail;

(I have done all the picture tweaking stuff mentioned elsewhere in this forum but the picture issues existed before this dabbling)

The ONLY thing I have to go on is a whole stack of LOST VBI LOCK messages in the Tivo logs. Is this related?

Anyone any ideas as to what might be the cause?

Thanks in advance.
managerxxx is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-02-2004, 05:20 PM   #2 (Print)
Mike B
Senior Munkee

Send a message via MSN to Mike B
What happens if you plug the TiVo directly into the TV?

(Not related to the problem, but more out of curiosity, why are you converting the output from the TiVo into S-Video? RGB gives a much better quality picture)

Old 08-03-2004, 02:19 AM   #3 (Print)
managerxxx

Thanks

Mmmm Strange, I'm sure I've tried that a million times before but TIVO-->TV is OK (albeit the image is letterboxed on my old fashioned :-( TV).

I'm converting to S-Video as my AV Amp won't switch RGB video.

What I can't make out is why Tivo TV will show OK but AUX TV will not - what's different about the signal.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:49 AM   #4 (Print)
Mike B
Senior Munkee

Send a message via MSN to Mike B
If (TIVO) -->(TV) is ok, then its either the AV amp or the RGB2SVIDEO converter causing the problem. Is either (TIVO)-->(RGB2SVIDEO)-->(TV) or (TIVO)-->(AV-AMP)-->(TV) ok?

Maybe its the combination of the RGB2SVIDEO converter and the AV-Amp thats doing it - the RGB2SVIDEO converter could be doing something to the signal thats upsetting the AV amp. Could be something that the Sky box is outputting the doesn't get recorded

I've got similar equipment to you, but just connected differently:

(STB)--->(TIVO AUX SCART)
(VCR)--->(TIVO VCR SCART)
(TIVO TV SCART)--->(Sony TV AV1)
(DVD Player)--->(Sony TV AV2)
(Sony TV Audio Out)--->(AV-AMP Line-In)

This way, only the audio goes to the amp, and the video signal doesn't pass through it, so the quality doesn't get degraded. Is there a need to push it all through the amp?

Old 08-03-2004, 02:04 PM   #5 (Print)
managerxxx

Thanks Mike.

Yep I'm a bit of a purist and would rather not run the video through the AV Amp but it does make a nice, simple solution for non techies - simply select the source on the Amp and everything is switched auto-magically.

I ended taking the set up back to basics to try and spot the deliberate mistake. Glad I did as I found that the DIP switches on the RGB2SVIDEO had been tampered with. Lo and behold everything is now working as designed.

Thanks again.