THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-11-2005, 01:08 PM   #1 (Print)
the new guy
Sarcastic Person

Send a message via AIM to the new guy
DirecTV DVR 6.2/HMO questions thread

OK, I am starting this thread so we will have a place to post questions and/or comments about the 6.2 DTiVo OS and the patch from the other forum which will enable HMO on it. Seeing as how the moving to 4.0 thread has survived as long as it has, I am hoping the mods will allow this one to stay, as well.

First off, as of the posting date, 6.2 has not yet officially been released for most of us, though it should be activated starting in the next week or so. There are ways to activate the software sitting dormant on our DTiVo drives, but since the official activation is imminent, let's try to avoid that topic.

Secondly, there has been a patch released on the other forum which activates the HMO features within the 6.2 software. Obviously, a link cannot be provided, and the file cannot be posted here, but Google is your friend, and a search for "superpatch-67all" should get you there. The patch is executed pretty much the same way as the 4.x patch, meaning you need to have a hacked system, with FTP and telnet at the minimum, and a tivoapp that has not been patched in any way.

Third, we should understand that this hack may no longer be available should D* decide to charge for the HMO option on their DVR's. Meaning, of course, that this thread and any others that spring up here (or the other forum, for that matter) would most likely be deleted. Given D*'s track record so far, this seems a fairly remote possibility, but you never know.

That said, let's all enjoy the ride, and the opportunity to actually have a legitimate software release from D* with all the cool toys in it.

Tim

Last edited by the new guy : 05-11-2005 at 01:37 PM.
the new guy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-11-2005, 01:37 PM   #2 (Print)
the new guy
Sarcastic Person

Fixed original post for Google search term...

Tim

Old 05-11-2005, 02:39 PM   #3 (Print)
SteelersFan

Thanks Tim! I am in So Cal and have gotten 6.2 on all three of my units. I have been thinking of hacking to 4.01b and have read quite a bit but hadn't pulled the trigger yet. With this new patch I am very interested in a guide for those of us who have unhacked units and 6.2 that want MRV and HMO.

SIR-S4080R (BR)
DVR80 - (BR)
SD-DVR40 - (Office)
All Zippered!
SteelersFan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #4 (Print)
tivo elvis

right there with you (unhacked 6.2 machines).

Since I will have to borrow a PC to get FTP and Telnet running, that first bit is going to be the biggest challenge for me.

Anybody have a readable/understandable reference for getting the first part done?
tivo elvis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-11-2005, 03:16 PM   #5 (Print)
Kyotech

Stupid question: How do you get FTP/Telnet running an unhacked 6.2 machine? I thought that the USB port was inactive on 6.2. I guess the drive would have to removed?

I think I will start a new thread, Noob questions to 6.2/HMO

Last edited by Kyotech : 05-11-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Kyotech is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-11-2005, 04:36 PM   #6 (Print)
aristoBrat

IIRC, the USB port *is* active in 6.2, it's just that netfilter is running and blocking pretty much all traffic sent to the TiVo.
aristoBrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-11-2005, 04:54 PM   #7 (Print)
Kyotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoBrat
IIRC, the USB port *is* active in 6.2, it's just that netfilter is running and blocking pretty much all traffic sent to the TiVo.

OK, if netfilter is running, how would we get around it?
Old 05-11-2005, 04:57 PM   #8 (Print)
tivo elvis

I just thought about this, do you really even need to get FTP running, couldn't you just transfer superpatch when you've got the drive pulled to add telnet? then telnet in to the reassembled Tivo and apply the patch?
Old 05-11-2005, 07:24 PM   #9 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyotech
OK, if netfilter is running, how would we get around it?

Click on the link on the link.
Look at step #3b.
http://www.blipnet.net/archives/200...pgrading-to-62/
Old 05-11-2005, 07:30 PM   #10 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivo elvis
I just thought about this, do you really even need to get FTP running, couldn't you just transfer superpatch when you've got the drive pulled to add telnet? then telnet in to the reassembled Tivo and apply the patch?

Yes, you could.

But if one of the hardest parts of upgrading is having to pull the drive to copy files over because FTP isn't installed, why wouldn't you want to install it while your drive is pulled (so you won't have to pull your drive again for the next upgrade...)?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:03 PM   #11 (Print)
Kyotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoBrat
Click on the link on the link.
Look at step #3b.

So this can be done with the drive in the Tivo? But there is no FTP/Telnet right?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:13 PM   #12 (Print)
aristoBrat

I did step #3b with the drive in my TiVo, but only because my TiVo already had telnet/FTP already enabled (which I did back a few months ago when I put 4.0 on it).

I do not know of any way to upgrade a DTiVo without having to pull the drive out of the TiVo at least one time to enable telnet/FTP.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:15 AM   #13 (Print)
paulfitz
6.2 MRV is awesome

I for one, did not go to 4.0 and therefore do not care about upgrading from the slices. I would like to get a clean 6.2, make a backup and then apply the correct kernel patches to enable ftp/telnet, then apply the superpatch-67all and TiVoWeb+.

The only issue I am having is finding the correct version and instructions for the killhdinitrd.

The superpatch-67all has very good instructions already.

paulfitz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-12-2005, 08:18 AM   #14 (Print)
dgilbert

Quote:
So this can be done with the drive in the Tivo? But there is no FTP/Telnet right?

Correct, you must have FTP/Telnet and that requires pulling the drive.

GXCEBOT 40/80Gb (retired)
Sony SAT-T60 stock (retired)
dgilbert is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-12-2005, 08:33 AM   #15 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfitz
The only issue I am having is finding the correct version and instructions for the killhdinitrd.

I'm not sure if finding = finding the actual file, but if you're looking for the version number, a killhdinitrd'ed 3.1.5 kernel runs on 6.2

I got mine from the source mentioned in step #2 of the 4.0 guide.
http://www.dellanave.com/projects/tivo/4xrid.html

Instructions for applying it are on step #7 of the 4.0 guide

Instructions for enabling the networking on 6.2 are on step #3b of this "not-a-guide":
Old 05-12-2005, 12:02 PM   #16 (Print)
dgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfitz

The PTVupgrade LBA48 4.01 cd includes a 3.1.5 kernel. As aristoBrat said, you should be able to use the 4.0 guide.

GXCEBOT 40/80Gb (retired)
Sony SAT-T60 stock (retired)
dgilbert is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-12-2005, 01:19 PM   #17 (Print)
tivo elvis

In my effort to understand all that needs to be done (to add HMO to 6.2), I've compiled the various instructions into one document. I know my setup has to be flawed (or completely wrong), so if anyone is bored and could use a good laugh, I really could use some feedback.

I don't want to post anything here (it'll just clutter the thread with bad info that'll end up confusing people) so I'd prefer to send it via PM or email...

thanks in advance

Last edited by tivo elvis : 05-12-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:07 PM   #18 (Print)
SteelersFan

Quote:
In my effort to understand all that needs to be done (to add HMO to 6.2), I've compiled the various instructions into one document. I know my setup has to be flawed (or completely wrong), so if anyone is bored and could use a good laugh, I really could use some feedback.

I don't want to post anything here (it'll just clutter the thread with bad info that'll end up confusing people) so I'd prefer to send it via PM or email...

thanks in advance

Elvis,
Let us know how things turn out. I know a lot of us are looking for something like this (an accurate guide)!

SIR-S4080R (BR)
DVR80 - (BR)
SD-DVR40 - (Office)
All Zippered!
SteelersFan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #19 (Print)
Kyotech

I got the 6.2 image from Alphawolf off of emule but I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it. I hope your guide covers that. Once I figure that out I'm loading it onto a spare 20gig HDD.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:41 PM   #20 (Print)
tivo elvis

whoops, looks like people have the wrong idea... I have no idea what I'm doing, just trying to ask all of my dumb questions at one time, so that I don't end up having to pull my Tivo apart 50 times because I screwed it up.

I should say that I'm not building a guide, just listing what I think I need to do to put HMO on a machine that already has 6.2 on it.

That being said, I still need help, and the knowledgable people here (and that other place) despise guides, and tend to not help people that are trying to compile guides. Besides, using anything I've written to try and upgrade your Tivo would be like using a peanut butter sandwich to change your tire (it on't work and people will just laugh at you for trying)

I'll certainly pass on anything I learn but I won't really have anything to release into the wild (a guide), and I'm not knowledgable enough to help at all, really.

Last edited by tivo elvis : 05-12-2005 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #21 (Print)
kschauwe

Quote:
I got the 6.2 image from Alphawolf off of emule but I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it. I hope your guide covers that. Once I figure that out I'm loading it onto a spare 20gig HDD.

Just copy it to a fat32 formated HD, and use hinsdale's guide to restore/expand it to a 10GB-250Gb HD:
mkdir /mnt/dos
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos
mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/dos/62small.mfs /dev/hdb
umount -f -a -r

"If It's Not a Tivo, Then It's Just a PVR"
kschauwe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-12-2005, 03:30 PM   #22 (Print)
TivoSaved TV

Location: Can't tell you - Someone is on a mission to remove my DNS because I also have locals!
Quote:
whoops, looks like people have the wrong idea... I have no idea what I'm doing, just trying to ask all of my dumb questions at one time, so that I don't end up having to pull my Tivo apart 50 times because I screwed it up.

I should say that I'm not building a guide, just listing what I think I need to do to put HMO on a machine that already has 6.2 on it.

That being said, I still need help, and the knowledgable people here (and that other place) despise guides, and tend to not help people that are trying to compile guides. Besides, using anything I've written to try and upgrade your Tivo would be like using a peanut butter sandwich to change your tire (it on't work and people will just laugh at you for trying)

I'll certainly pass on anything I learn but I won't really have anything to release into the wild (a guide), and I'm not knowledgable enough to help at all, really.

I am going to go against the 'grain' and state that I believe guides are a good tool as long as they are well written and the person that is using it knows and understands it is just a guide. I believe they are a great tool to help organize your thoughts and keep you going in the right direction. They also allow you to research on your own, items you do not understand and points you in the right direction for that help.

Most of the people in this forum, including myself, would not have known how to or been able to successfully put 4.0 on our systems without the guide to 'guide' us along.

Hughes HDVR2 - 35 hrs
Hughes HDVR2 - 105 hrs
Hughes SD DVR80 - 67 hrs
Samsung SIR 4040 -35 hrs

White Area - all 4 unless I move
TivoSaved TV is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-12-2005, 04:11 PM   #23 (Print)
the new guy
Sarcastic Person

I, too, believe a guide can be a valuable tool. Hell, I never would have gotten to 4.0 without one. The problem with the guide is keeping it current, and providing support to folks who just can't seem to get their heads around it. How many posts are there in the moving to 4.0 thread from people who ask if the drive needs to be mounted in a PC, or if the commands have to be typed exactly as printed?

Anyone who wishes to create a guide needs to be prepared to deal with questions like that, and not put the guide out there and abandon it.

Tim

Old 05-12-2005, 06:15 PM   #24 (Print)
aristoBrat

... which is a huge reason there aren't many guides, IMO
Old 05-12-2005, 10:25 PM   #25 (Print)
Frostbyte

So is there any advantage to moving to 6.2 (with HMO/MRV enabled) over 4.0.1b (with HMO/MRV enabled)? Seems like it might be more effort than it's worth but maybe I'm missing something.
Frostbyte is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-12-2005, 10:29 PM   #26 (Print)
farleyruskz
Nunya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbyte
So is there any advantage to moving to 6.2 (with HMO/MRV enabled) over 4.0.1b (with HMO/MRV enabled)? Seems like it might be more effort than it's worth but maybe I'm missing something.

Right now, the main advantage is speed. The database engine in 6.2 is very fast, which makes browsing through the guide, performing Wishlist searches, etc. much faster. I upgraded one of my HDVR2's from 4.0.1b to 6.2 today and the speed difference is very noticable. It also restores the channel logos in the Now Playing list, which my wife missed after the move to 4.0.1b.
farleyruskz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-12-2005, 10:34 PM   #27 (Print)
Frostbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by farleyruskz
Right now, the main advantage is speed. The database engine in 6.2 is very fast, which makes browsing through the guide, performing Wishlist searches, etc. much faster. I upgraded one of my HDVR2's from 4.0.1b to 6.2 today and the speed difference is very noticable. It also restores the channel logos in the Now Playing list, which my wife missed after the move to 4.0.1b.

Great, thanks! Maybe I'll have to look into it now...
Frostbyte is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 12:17 AM   #28 (Print)
Kyotech

Let me run this buy everybody and you tell me what you think. Install PTVnet and 3.1.1e from InstantCake on new HDD. Now networking is installed/enabled. Let the 6.2 upgrade happen on the 16th, or whenever. Will this work or am I just too much of a noob?
Old 05-13-2005, 12:34 AM   #29 (Print)
farleyruskz
Nunya

Well, when the 6.2 upgrade comes through on its own, it will wipe out the network hacks and leave you with 6.2 as-is.
farleyruskz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 12:38 AM   #30 (Print)
Kyotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschauwe
Just copy it to a fat32 formated HD, and use hinsdale's guide to restore/expand it to a 10GB-250Gb HD:
mkdir /mnt/dos
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos
mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/dos/62small.mfs /dev/hdb
umount -f -a -r

Thanks, got 6.2 up and running on a spare HDD. Now to figure out how to enable Telnet/FTP so I can load HMO. I know I have to remove the HDD to do it but I wanted to see if 6.2 would work first.