July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-25-2005, 04:35 PM   #1 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

NCID and aliases

Thanks to rbautch I now have NCID working on my DTivos. Now to get into the "soup" a little deeper. I have researched enough to determine that I can set some "aliases" in NCID that will give me more information on the caller id displays. eg. instead of "wireless caller 541-555-5555" I can set it so that when it gets the number 541-555-5555 coming in it will display "Cathy 541-555-5555" if I set an alias up.
But to demonstrate my ineptness, I cannot find out where to do this. I have been using FTP to search in the tivo for the NCID files and I cannot even seem to find them.
If anybody has ventured this far a little guidance would be appreciated.
willardcpa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-25-2005, 04:58 PM   #2 (Print)
rbautch
Try My Zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by willardcpa
Thanks to rbautch I now have NCID working on my DTivos. Now to get into the "soup" a little deeper. I have researched enough to determine that I can set some "aliases" in NCID that will give me more information on the caller id displays. eg. instead of "wireless caller 541-555-5555" I can set it so that when it gets the number 541-555-5555 coming in it will display "Cathy 541-555-5555" if I set an alias up.
But to demonstrate my ineptness, I cannot find out where to do this. I have been using FTP to search in the tivo for the NCID files and I cannot even seem to find them.
Download a fresh copy of the the enhancements script to your pc. Unzip the rbautch-files.tgz archive, then unzip the ncid and osd archives. There should be a readmes in there under the folder "doc".
rbautch is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-25-2005, 05:25 PM   #3 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

Quote:
...I have been using FTP to search in the tivo for the NCID files and I cannot even seem to find them.

Assuming ncid was installed to /var, you'll file ncidd.alias in /var/hack/etc/ncid.

I haven't run rbautch's script (I hacked my TiVo BZ - Before Zipper ), so I don't know where he puts ncidd.

The format of the alias entries is in the sample file.

BTW: if you are running multiple TiVos, you only need ncidd and its alias file on one TiVo, tivocid attaches to the master ncidd server (either with a command line parameter or by changing the config file), and gets the aliased entries from there.

240 GB DSR-708
80 GB DSR-7000 (Slingbox attached)
(All w/MRV)

Administrator - DBSForums.com
Dan Collins is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-25-2005, 07:23 PM   #4 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Thanks for the guidance. Now for the real begging for help. I found the ncidd.alias file in /var/hack/etc/ncid, but it appears to just be the sample file.
Using the sample file as an example, lets say I want NCID to display "John on Cell" everytime it receives the number 4075551212. I know the alias command is - alias NAME* ="John on Cell" if 4075551212.
I telnet into the tivo, do I just type "alias NAME* = "John on Cell" if 4075551212? Or do I need to change to the directory /var/hack/etc/ncid first before I enter it, or do I need to set up an "alias" folder?
I know I'm asking a pretty elementary question, and I have searched and read everywhere, but this seems to be way out on the periphery.

Edited to add, OK, after looking at it for a long time. I see that the ncidd.alias file can be added on to and apparently it is the file that should contain all of the "alias" commands.
Now to do some research on how to edit the file and FTP it back as a linux file.

Last edited by willardcpa : 10-25-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:35 PM   #5 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

SUCCESS!!!
telnet into the tivo
#bring up the file that needs editing
"vi /var/hack/etc/ncid/ncidd.alias"
#use vi to add my alias line - in my case - NAME * = "Cathy on Cell" if 547-999-9999
#save the changes and exit vi
#reboot the tivo

Test call using my wife's cell phone, observe "Cathy on Cell 547-999-9999" on screen.

Thanks Russ and Dan for the help.

And following Gunny's example, please do not refer to this on DDB.
Of course that shouldn't be hard, I couldn't find anything on it there, other than the generic references to the NCID site.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:41 PM   #6 (Print)
summerall

Just curious....

Does NCID require a PC to be on 24X7 with a caller ID capable modem installed?

Thanks,
Jason
summerall is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-25-2005, 10:03 PM   #7 (Print)
rbautch
Try My Zipper

Quote:
SUCCESS!!!
telnet into the tivo
#bring up the file that needs editing
"vi /var/hack/etc/ncid/ncidd.alias"
#use vi to add my alias line - in my case - NAME * = "Cathy on Cell" if 547-999-9999
#save the changes and exit vi
#reboot the tivo

Test call using my wife's cell phone, observe "Cathy on Cell 547-999-9999" on screen.

Thanks Russ and Dan for the help.

And following Gunny's example, please do not refer to this on DDB.
Of course that shouldn't be hard, I couldn't find anything on it there, other than the generic references to the NCID site.
Is that really Cathy's cell number?
Old 10-25-2005, 10:12 PM   #8 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerall
Just curious....

Thanks,
Jason
Only if you have it set up with the PC as the server in NCID. The way it ends up being set up on rbautch's enhancement (and I would assume the zipper) the tivo itself is the "server" I have a phone line plugged into the back of it and its modem does the CID magic. As Dan pointed out above, I could only have one of the tivos plugged into the phone and the others could get the data from it via the network - but I already had three of them plugged directly into the phone wires and I think that it will be easier for me to just do it that way. Especially since I am using DHCP so I don't always know what the IP address of the Tivos will be.
Just be aware that there are dangers of having them plugged into the phone, you don't want TIVO to download a version of their software - sans hacks! So make sure that you have Fakecall implemented and you have the tivo reboot twice a week - both of which are covered in rbautch's scripts (if you answer the questions the right way).
Old 10-25-2005, 10:16 PM   #9 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

Quote:
Just curious....

Thanks,
Jason
No...any Series 2 TiVo (not sure about a series 1) can be the CID server.

You run ncidd on one unit (in my case, it is the TiVo at 192.168.1.50). Then, you run tivocid on ALL the TiVos, setting the ip address in the config file, or passing it on the command line:

tivocid IP_ADDRESS 192.168.1.50

Technically, you can skip the address on the CID server, since the default is localhost, but I like to keep the systems all consistently configured.

240 GB DSR-708
(All w/MRV)

Old 10-25-2005, 10:28 PM   #10 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Just as an aside and a rationale for my having the units hooked up to a phone line. I think it was Dan who indicated once that periodically DTV does look at accounts that have a large # of recievers hooked up that don't call home. Well, after I read that and did a head count - I had eight subscribed and only two old series ones where hooked up to a phone, three hacked series2s weren't, one was actually not even hooked up to the satellite any more (yesterday I cancelled it) and two are "out of town", one with a modem that constantly fails while negoriating. So this got me "on the stick", now of the seven that I have sub'd five of them are should be calling DTV when they expect it.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:09 AM   #11 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

A couple of additional points...

There is a script called phonereset.tcl that will insert "#," as the dialing prefix and the call waiting prefix, which will prevent the TiVo from calling home.

I use DHCP too - I just have my router configured to always assign the TiVos' MAC addresses the same IP addresses.

240 GB DSR-708
(All w/MRV)

Old 10-26-2005, 08:03 AM   #12 (Print)
summerall

Wow, I had no idea that the NCID server can run ON the Tivo. I thought a pc had to be on 24x7 so that's why I didn't bother looking into NCID. When I get home tonight I'm going to try and get this working. Keep this thread alive I know I'll have questions

I hacked my Tivo with zipper so hopefully finding the correct files won't be hard. During rbautch script install I selected "yes" to almost every option available.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:44 PM   #13 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Collins
....There is a script called phonereset.tcl that will insert "#," as the dialing prefix and the call waiting prefix, which will prevent the TiVo from calling home.....
Just asking this because I don't know the answer. Would a Dtivo with phonereset.tcl still be able to call DTV?
Old 10-26-2005, 12:59 PM   #14 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
.....I hacked my Tivo with zipper so hopefully finding the correct files won't be hard. During rbautch script install I selected "yes" to almost every option available.
I'm just going off of memory of when I set mine up over three months ago - so I may be totally wrong. But I vaguely recall that on the question where it asks you if you want the tivo to do its reboot thing (twice a week) whether or not you wanted it to skip rebooting if it was recording something at the time - that the "correct" answer was "no". rbautch's explanation was warning you what the "correct" answer was in the script - if you wanted to keep the phone line connected.
I may be wrong on this, but one way to test it would be to set up a recording for tonight from 2am to 3am and see if it reboots or not. Since tonight is one of the twice weekly scheduled reboots in cron.
What I did to be on the safe side was "stand back and watch" for about two weeks before I plugged the phone in, just to make sure that fakecall was working as needed. It's good I did, I was the one that alerted rbautch to the fact that for some reason fakecall sets the next call out at 6 days and 22 hours, then he modified the script to reboot twice a week instead of the prior once a week.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:51 PM   #15 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

Quote:
Just asking this because I don't know the answer. Would a Dtivo with phonereset.tcl still be able to call DTV?
I wondered the same thing, so I ordered a PPV on one of my TiVos, that I used phonereset on, and the PPV showed up on my bill...so I assume the answer is yes.

240 GB DSR-708
(All w/MRV)

Old 10-26-2005, 02:36 PM   #16 (Print)
rbautch
Try My Zipper

Quote:
Wow, I had no idea that the NCID server can run ON the Tivo. I thought a pc had to be on 24x7 so that's why I didn't bother looking into NCID. When I get home tonight I'm going to try and get this working. Keep this thread alive I know I'll have questions

I hacked my Tivo with zipper so hopefully finding the correct files won't be hard. During rbautch script install I selected "yes" to almost every option available.
If you answered "yes" to everything, then NCID is already installed on your Tivo. Just plug in a phone line and watch the magic. I put the both the client and server on the same Tivo, just because it was the simpist thing to do with the script, but as pointed out earlier, it's easy enough to customize it to have one tivo running as a server, feeding info to all your other Tivos.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:56 PM   #17 (Print)
summerall

rbautch

Wow, I will definately test this out when I get home tonight. Simple enough to plug in the phone line and call my house to try it.

Do I need to run the script phonereset.tcl to insert "#," as the dialing prefix and the call waiting prefix, which will prevent the TiVo from calling home???

Or has your script already done this too?

Oh one more thing, in tivo web my cron Scheduler is not started. Do I need to start this? Does it have any affect on daily calls home?
Old 10-26-2005, 05:03 PM   #18 (Print)
rbautch
Try My Zipper

The script already prevents calls home. Don't need to start cron with Hackman. It's probably already running, but hackman just didn't pick it up. You can check if it's running by typing ps at bash, and look for crond near the bottom of the list of running processes.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:09 PM   #19 (Print)
summerall

I tested NCID tonight and it works. All I did was plug in the phone line.

Does anyone know how to move the location of the NCID display on the tv screen???
Old 10-26-2005, 06:19 PM   #20 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

That is controlled in /var/hack/etc/out2osd.conf. The line and column parameters control the location (default is line 1, column 6).

240 GB DSR-708
(All w/MRV)

Old 10-26-2005, 07:17 PM   #21 (Print)
Human123
DTivo TakeitOrLeavo

It appears to me after reading this thread, that if you wanted extra protection against a call out, that having it reboot twice weekly and adding the phonereset.tcl is the way to go.
Is this assumption correct?
Does the phonereset.tcl need to be run more than once? weekly?
I am about to add rbautch's scripts to my units and I am going to attempt to have one serve the other two. I will be trying to follow Dan Collins instruction on doing this earlier in the thread.
PS
Is a newer version of the script coming out soon? If so, I might just wait for that.
Thanks...
Human123 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-26-2005, 07:37 PM   #22 (Print)
rbautch
Try My Zipper

My enhancement script runs fakecall every night, and reboots twice/week, which continually resets the "next scheduled call" to the mothership. That means your Tivo will never ever think that it needs to call Tivo. Phonereset changes the dialing prefix so that if your Tivo ever did try to call in, the call would fail. You really only need to do one or the other. A new script will be out at the end of the week. It will not contain any changes regarding this issue.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:24 PM   #23 (Print)
summerall

rbautch -

I did a "ps" at the bash prompt and I don't see anything that tells me cron is running. What name should I be looking for in the list?

Dan -

Also I added an alias to the ncidd.alias file and changed the set line in the out2osd.conf to 5 and now I don't see a caller id display on the tv after a tivo reboot.

I'm going to reset everything and reboot again. Maybe I set the line too much and even off the screen?

Thanks
Old 10-26-2005, 09:41 PM   #24 (Print)
summerall

Argh?!?!....I just had this thing working.

All I did was update the ncidd alias file and the out2osd file and reboot. Now I get no caller id display when I call my house. What gives?!?!?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:04 PM   #25 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
Argh?!?!....I just had this thing working.

All I did was update the ncidd alias file and the out2osd file and reboot. Now I get no caller id display when I call my house. What gives?!?!?
Well, my guess is that one or both of those steps messed it up.

Type your alias line that you added and I'll take a crack at that one.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:11 PM   #26 (Print)
summerall

here it is

###############
# Add Aliases here #
###############
NAME * "Jim on CELL" if 8033577457
Old 10-26-2005, 10:17 PM   #27 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

You need an equal sign "=" between the * and "Jim on Cell"
Old 10-26-2005, 10:25 PM   #28 (Print)
summerall

Do I also need "alias" infront of the NAME???
Old 10-26-2005, 10:28 PM   #29 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Yes, sorry I missed that one.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:29 PM   #30 (Print)
summerall

ok thanks willard, I'll reboot and try this thing in the morning. don't want to wake the wife with a late night caller id test