Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-29-2005, 07:01 AM   #1 (Print)
appleye1
Obladi Oblada

Send a message via AIM to appleye1 Send a message via MSN to appleye1 Send a message via Yahoo to appleye1
Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer - 11/30 - **Spoilers!**

HDTV, fully restored and enhanced! CBS 8PM

One of my favorites as a kid. I am really excited about this one. Although this is a spoiler thread please don't reveal what happened to the "abominable" until the show has aired!

"Be excellent to one another." - Pan Chun

"All people can be divided into 10 groups. Those that understand binary and those that don't."

"'You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.' People say this to you with a straight face, and I always say, who...wants...flies?" - Bill Murray

DIRECTV subscriber since 02/96
TiVo user since 12/99

Last edited by appleye1 : 11-29-2005 at 07:38 AM.
appleye1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 07:21 AM   #2 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

my guide shows ncis, tar, and criminal minds

ah, 11/30 here.

retired (must watch though) Sony T60 2-160 drives
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder

“Be yourself, it’s easier isn’t it?”
newsposter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 07:23 AM   #3 (Print)
LifeIsABeach

I hope he finally hooks up with that doe this year. I am tired of being teased year after year.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:38 AM   #4 (Print)
appleye1
Obladi Oblada

Send a message via AIM to appleye1 Send a message via MSN to appleye1 Send a message via Yahoo to appleye1
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter
my guide shows ncis, tar, and criminal minds

ah, 11/30 here.

fixed
appleye1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 07:48 AM   #5 (Print)
yaddayaddayadda

Send a message via AIM to yaddayaddayadda Send a message via Yahoo to yaddayaddayadda
I gotta say it. We were watching this on DVD the other night, and this is one of the most horrible specials when you think about it. Santa's a dick. Rudolph's own parents reject him because he's different, the other reindeers' attitudes suck.

I know it's the whole point of ths story/song, etc. but I think it's a poor message to send to children that if they're different in any way they'll be shunned.

I know it's a kid TV show and I should lighten up- but it really bothered me watching with my 3 year old.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:17 AM   #6 (Print)
doom1701
I blue myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaddayaddayadda
I gotta say it. We were watching this on DVD the other night, and this is one of the most horrible specials when you think about it. Santa's a dick. Rudolph's own parents reject him because he's different, the other reindeers' attitudes suck.

I know it's the whole point of ths story/song, etc. but I think it's a poor message to send to children that if they're different in any way they'll be shunned.

I know it's a kid TV show and I should lighten up- but it really bothered me watching with my 3 year old.

It's an ugly duckling story. In some ways, it's very uplifting--you can rise past your differences, or perhaps even use your differences to be even more special than everyone else.

But then you realize that you just called your kid ugly or a freak. It's a no win.

I've got a blog again; wonder how long this one will last?
doom1701 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 08:30 AM   #7 (Print)
vman41

Quote:
I gotta say it. We were watching this on DVD the other night, and this is one of the most horrible specials when you think about it.

I don't think it's horrible, I think it was ingeniously subversive for the time it was produced, 40 years ago. So now you can't even tolerate intolerance long enough for the story to be told.
vman41 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 08:40 AM   #8 (Print)
vman41

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1701
It's an ugly duckling story.

The ugly duckling ended up a beautiful swan, Rudolph still has a shiny nose (unless he's seen a plastic surgeon).
vman41 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 09:33 AM   #9 (Print)
rizzlebizzle
in the hizzle

I think its a great story, a classic, told in a very old school style. Unlik all this "everyone loves everyone" BS!
rizzlebizzle is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 09:49 AM   #10 (Print)
Magister
.357 Mag

Send a message via AIM to Magister Send a message via MSN to Magister Send a message via Yahoo to Magister
Quote:

It just tells you that unless you are perfect, your parents will hate you. Your friends will spurn you. And Santa will think you are worthless.

You have to excell beyond all others just to be thought of as equal, but always remember, you are different, and no one can ever really love you.

You are a genetic freak that shouldn't procreate.

Wonderful message for the season...

JFRIDAY - Lets vote off Joe, then eat him.
Magister is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 09:54 AM   #11 (Print)
markymark_ctown
that's what she said

Send a message via Yahoo to markymark_ctown
spoliers? you're kidding right?

Old 11-29-2005, 10:02 AM   #12 (Print)
FourFourSeven

Quote:

I always thought the same thing, even when I'm a kid. I'm okay with the other reindeer being nasty - it is in the song, after all. And while not a fan of the parents' attitude, I could buy into it for the story's sake. But Santa - the great, kindly Santa, acting nasty, and saying that Rudolph just won't do because of his nose?!? As a kid, I knew that this was terrible - Santa would NEVER act that way! How un-Christmas-y can you get?

It sounds pathetic, but I won't have my kids watch this show. Give me "Charlie Brown Christmas" or "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (original animated version - not the movie) over "Rudolph" any day of the week!
FourFourSeven is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 11:04 AM   #13 (Print)
tetspa

In Dallas there is a famous gay men's chior that puts on Christmas concerts - the song "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer" is one of their signatures - to promote tolerance.
tetspa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 11:26 AM   #14 (Print)
Idearat

Once you've seen Raging Rudolph on Mad TV, you'll never look at the orginal the same way again. I was amazed when I first saw it, they put a lot of work into making it look like the original.

Along with Gump Fiction they're the best parodies Mad TV has done.
Idearat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 12:12 PM   #15 (Print)
DLL66

I guess a lot of you would sign your kids up for those little league baseball teams that don't score runs and everyone gets to play. Good way to teach sportsmanship.

C'mon, many of us grew up on Rudolph and it didn't affect the way we are!!

Hey........here's an idea.......lets do away with Christmas all together! RIGHT!

Last edited by DLL66 : 11-29-2005 at 12:18 PM.
DLL66 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 12:21 PM   #16 (Print)
busyba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magister
It just tells you that unless you are perfect, your parents will hate you. Your friends will spurn you. And Santa will think you are worthless.

You have to excell beyond all others just to be thought of as equal, but always remember, you are different, and no one can ever really love you.

You are a genetic freak that shouldn't procreate.

Sounds about right.... what's your problem with that?

busyba is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 12:23 PM   #17 (Print)
oski87
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL66
I guess a lot of you would sign your kids up for those little league baseball teams that don't score runs and everyone gets to play. Good way to teach sportsmanship.

I hope that you're not trying to be sarcastic-- those leagues ARE a good thing. (for younger kids- at a certain age it obviously isnt appropriate any more) They let the kids focus on: learing skills, being part of a team, and having FUN.

My oldest lost all interest in basketball the year that her coach was more interested in winning then in the game. To elaborate, he was more interested in HIM winning- beating the teams coached by his buddy, for example. Made it all about him, not the kids.

If I was reading non-existent sarcasm into your comment, apologies.
oski87 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 12:38 PM   #18 (Print)
yaddayaddayadda

Send a message via AIM to yaddayaddayadda Send a message via Yahoo to yaddayaddayadda
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLL66

C'mon, many of us grew up on Rudolph and it didn't affect the way we are!!

Hey........here's an idea.......lets do away with Christmas all together! RIGHT!

That's a weak analogy - unless you think "sportsmanship" is defined as "make fun of the kid that looks different"

As the poster above said, my issue is mostly the parent's and Santa's attitude. Santa specifically shouldn't be about excluding someone merely for a physical attribute.
(lord I can't believe I'm defending and explaining this position).

Old 11-29-2005, 12:44 PM   #19 (Print)
slydog75
Not all that sly

They all learn to love Rudolph in the end and he goes down in history as "The greatest Reindeer of all".. What is wrong with you people " I won't let my kids watch it"... give me a break. It's meant to teach a lesson that treating people like that is wrong as they learn in the end.
slydog75 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 01:10 PM   #20 (Print)
Rolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourSeven
I always thought the same thing, even when I'm a kid. I'm okay with the other reindeer being nasty - it is in the song, after all. And while not a fan of the parents' attitude, I could buy into it for the story's sake. But Santa - the great, kindly Santa, acting nasty, and saying that Rudolph just won't do because of his nose?!? As a kid, I knew that this was terrible - Santa would NEVER act that way! How un-Christmas-y can you get?

Santa has a job to do. Deliver eight billion toys and three billion lumps of coal all in one night. To get that job done, Santa has to be tough. If that means hurting the feelings of a reindeer or two, it's worth it. We can't let touchie-feelie politically correct whining get in the way of something as serious and important as Christmas. If Santa has to be a hardass and bruise a few reindeer egos, that's just the way it is.

The fact is that Rudolph is a mutant runt, and he couldn't take the place of Donner, Blitzen, or any of the other reindeer regulars. His freakish nose gave him a spot as a ninth reindeer one year, but other than that he's too small and weak to do the job of a 'real' reindeer.

The best Rudolph can hope for is to get a gig doing personal appearances at street fairs or maybe running some sort of shuttle service to the Island of Misfit Toys. For his sake, I hope he lines up something soon, because once Santa's contract expires it's likely that FedEX will take over the operation, and then there will be a lot more reindeer looking for work, and Rudolph just can't compete. If you were hiring a flying reindeer, and you had a choice between Comet, Cupid, and Rudolph, there's no way Rudolph would get the job. The nose is a cute gimmick, but when it comes to doing real flying reindeer work, Rudolph doesn't have what it takes.
Rolf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 01:28 PM   #21 (Print)
Royster
Inappropriate Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf
The fact is that Rudolph is a mutant runt, and he couldn't take the place of Donner, Blitzen, or any of the other reindeer regulars. His freakish nose gave him a spot as a ninth reindeer one year, but other than that he's too small and weak to do the job of a 'real' reindeer.

Hey, Rudolph was not disabled as a reindeer. He was "differently abled". And his unique abilities saved Christmas. In the end, (do I need a spoiler tag?) his distinctiveness was celebrated. You couldn't write a more perfectly PC story today if you tried.

Old 11-29-2005, 01:32 PM   #22 (Print)
timr_42

Send a message via Yahoo to timr_42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf
Santa has a job to do. Deliver eight billion toys and three billion lumps of coal all in one night. To get that job done, Santa has to be tough. If that means hurting the feelings of a reindeer or two, it's worth it. We can't let touchie-feelie politically correct whining get in the way of something as serious and important as Christmas. If Santa has to be a hardass and bruise a few reindeer egos, that's just the way it is.

Where is the ACLU when you need them?

Old 11-29-2005, 01:33 PM   #23 (Print)
timr_42

Send a message via Yahoo to timr_42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat
Once you've seen Raging Rudolph on Mad TV, you'll never look at the orginal the same way again. I was amazed when I first saw it, they put a lot of work into making it look like the original.

Along with Gump Fiction they're the best parodies Mad TV has done.

I loved Raging Rudolph

Old 11-29-2005, 03:02 PM   #24 (Print)
crazywater
USS TiVo NCC-1780

Quote:

It sounds pathetic, but I won't have my kids watch this show. Give me "Charlie Brown Christmas" or "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (original animated version - not the movie) over "Rudolph" any day of the week!

You're kidding right? No Rudolph but its ok to see all of Charlie Brown's friends treat him like dirt and make fun of him, and its alright to see some green thing break into a bunch of homes to steal everything? Ultimately everything ends happily, even Santa admits he was wrong. Whats the big deal?

Sony SVR-3000 235Hr
Pioneer DVR-810H
Hughes DVR40
DTV R10
crazywater is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 05:14 PM   #25 (Print)
FourFourSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywater
You're kidding right? No Rudolph but its ok to see all of Charlie Brown's friends treat him like dirt and make fun of him, and its alright to see some green thing break into a bunch of homes to steal everything? Ultimately everything ends happily, even Santa admits he was wrong. Whats the big deal?

It's not a "big deal" - I'm not picketing CBS for broadcasting the show, and if you or your kids enjoy it, by all means watch it. I'm just choosing not to record it for myself and my kids (even they only watch Tivo-ed shows). I'm not going to defend of why I dislike Rudolph.. Oh heck, yeah, I will:

1) SANTA was cruel. Santa! We all know that Lucy and much of the Peanuts gang is mean to Charlie Brown! We know the Grinch has a heart two sizes two small. But SANTA as cruel?!? That was bad. Even as a kid, I knew Santa would never, EVER act that way. AND Rudoph's parents' reaction is terrible too.

2) Frankly, I never enjoyed the special anyway - the annoying sound of Rudolph's nose, the annoying misfit toys subplot, etc, etc.

3) I have a Tivo - we can pick and choose the Christmas shows we want to watch. Why would I pick one I don't enjoy for my kids to watch?
FourFourSeven is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 05:28 PM   #26 (Print)
Jayjoans

Quote:
Santa's a dick.

Once I found out who the real Santa was I couldn't have agreed with you more.
Probably a more common thought than we realize.

Jayjoans is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 05:54 PM   #27 (Print)
allan
Resident modern nut

I agree that Santa's attitude bothered me, mainly because Santa's supposed to be above that. But Rudolph WAS different, and people (and reindeer ) do treat you differently if you're different. The main thing is that everyone realized they were wrong in the way they treated him.

BEEP
allan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 09:47 PM   #28 (Print)
woyton
New Yorker no more

Send a message via AIM to woyton
I think it's hilarious that something that's been around since 1964 requires the OP to include the word "spoilers" in the thread title.
woyton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 09:55 PM   #29 (Print)
4inziksych

Quote:
It's not a "big deal" - I'm not picketing CBS for broadcasting the show, and if you or your kids enjoy it, by all means watch it. I'm just choosing not to record it for myself and my kids (even they only watch Tivo-ed shows). I'm not going to defend of why I dislike Rudolph.. Oh heck, yeah, I will:

1) SANTA was cruel. Santa! We all know that Lucy and much of the Peanuts gang is mean to Charlie Brown! We know the Grinch has a heart two sizes two small. But SANTA as cruel?!? That was bad. Even as a kid, I knew Santa would never, EVER act that way. AND Rudoph's parents' reaction is terrible too.

2) Frankly, I never enjoyed the special anyway - the annoying sound of Rudolph's nose, the annoying misfit toys subplot, etc, etc.

3) I have a Tivo - we can pick and choose the Christmas shows we want to watch. Why would I pick one I don't enjoy for my kids to watch?

I think it's kind of sad you're not letting your kids watch it (only because I loved it so much when I was a kid). I cringed at how they all spoke to him too, but it's also about the fact that everyone can be wrong sometimes. Even Santa, even us. Rudolph perservered, he had faith in himself, and he taught everyone else to see themselves better (the red nose lighting the way is a metaphor, get it ha ha ha)! Anyway, it's not like Santa is Jesus, he's a marketing tool that makes it so that you have to spend so much money on THINGS for Christmas anyway. I know, I know, that's not what he always was, but that's what he is now.

Besides, all kids feel like skinny out of place runts at some time in their lives so they can relate to Rudolph and his struggle.
4inziksych is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 11:12 PM   #30 (Print)
jmoak

"The Horror.
The Ho Ho Horror."
-S.Claus
jmoak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post