TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-29-2005, 09:52 AM   #1 (Print)
Lannister80

Telnet/FTP Guide - Series 2 - is Steve Jenkins' guide OK?

I'm about to take the plunge and upgrade my Series 2 Standalone TCD540080 to a dual 320GB configuration (using two WD3200JB drives based on recommendations from this site)

I figured I'd get a telnet and ftp server configured to run after I'm done imaging the drives (using InstantCake, it's worth it for only $20) and before putting them back in my TiVo (so I can install TiVoWebPlus and such), and I was wondering if Steve Jenkins' guide is OK to use:

(Can't put in URL, site won't let me Hopefully you can google for it)

He states that his guide is for a Series 1 running 3.0, and that while he's gotten reports that some people have used his guide for Series 2 units, he can't guarantee it'll work. I looked through the threads on this site with hundreds or thousands or replies, and I still haven't found a good, decent guide (other than the Steve Jenkins one) to get the servers up and running. Are the partitions the same as on series 1 (4 and 7?). Are there any other considerations I need to make? I'm Linux-competent and can certainly figure out how to get a telnet server running, but I want to be as safe as possible.

Thanks!!

Oh, and I hate to mention it, but the guys at PTVUpgrade insist that a 127MB swap file is totally adequete for any size disk config up to 2x400GB, and that there's no need to increase it (and they've been doing upgrades for 5 years). What evidence do you TiVo Community folks have that it's necessary?
Lannister80 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 09:57 AM   #2 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Not wanting to bust your bubble but have you modded the EEPROMS on those units?
You'll need to to do anything besides space upgrades.
Oh and hinsdale is a better guide for S2.

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 09:58 AM   #3 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure none of the hacks, other than increasing drive size, will work on the 5400XX series Tivos. They, like the DirecTiVo R10, have ROM code that wipes out any hacks upon boot up. To enable FTP and/or TWP you would have to replace the boot PROM on the motherboard. You can have that done, but I wouldn't attempt it yourself unless you have the experience and equipment for handling surface mounted components.

EDIT: <Gunny beat me to it....what he said...>

240 GB DSR-708
80 GB DSR-7000 (Slingbox attached)
(All w/MRV)

Administrator - DBSForums.com
Dan Collins is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 10:00 AM   #4 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

proving yet again that I have no life

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 12:00 PM   #5 (Print)
Lannister80

Thanks for the quick response guys.

I wasn't aware of that! I was looking forward to backing up my SPs... I looked at WeaKnees and I didn't see anything about replacing the boot EEPROM.

Not that I'd know how to erase and reprogram an EEPROM, but if I could get the part (my brother is Mr. Electrical Engineer, no problem with surface-mount parts). Is there a service that will replace it for you? Can you order them from somewhere?

Man, I was so looking forward to TiVoWebPlus....well, a man can dream.

Now, what about this 127MB swap issue? I know it's been argued to death, but if I use the InstantCake CD and end up filling these 2 new 320GB drives (which ZipZoomFly has for $122, good deal), will it take 30 seconds for the Now Playing screen to come up? Does this mean I should follow the Hinsdale gudie to upgrade instead? I'd like to just put my original drive in a closet and not even put it in a PC to back it up, which is why InstantCake appeals to me (contains disk image).
Lannister80 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post