July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2005, 04:32 PM   #1 (Print)
richard_hamblen

TIVO and SONY Bravia (KDL-V32A12U)

Hi
When I use the TIVO with the Bravia the TV switches off on the source the TIVO is connected to.
The problem is repeatable and happens on all sources.

I've use composite inpute, SVideo input, RF input, SCART input even RGB separated input.

Basically when the picture in running the Bravia is fine, as soon as there is any text from the TIVO - TV listing, TIVO screen, pause line, programme title bar info etc, about 5 seconds later the Bravia switches off that source.

It appears the Bravia's signal detection conversion is having problems with the TIVOs signal when text/graphics is mixed into the signal.

Any suggestions, as I don't want to get rid of eith a great HD ready LCD TV or my Tivo!!!

Thanks
richard_hamblen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 05:02 PM   #2 (Print)
Rob Nespor Bellis
Grumpy Sod

Your TV is faulty. TiVo have produced a workaround to the fault of your TV. READ THE STICKY THREAD - YES THE ONE SAYING "New Users start here - read this thread before posting questions" - YES THE ONE ALWAYS AT THE TOP
Rob Nespor Bellis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 05:25 PM   #3 (Print)
pauljs

See this thread for a better explanation

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...ad.php?t=212083
pauljs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2005, 09:11 PM   #4 (Print)
the_hut
Alleged Sock Puppet

Richard,

It's a problem which lies somewhere between TiVo and your TV manufacturer's design.... best not to reopen that debate (!) If you haven't modified your TiVo in any way, then just call customer services and ask for them to arrange the 2.5.5a ("Teletext bug") update and when that is complete you should have no problems.

Software updates can take up to 5 days to come through.
the_hut is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2005, 02:54 AM   #5 (Print)
richard_hamblen

thanks everyone for the answer - except grumpy sod who's answer was unnecessary and does nothing to encourage people to ask for help.
btw - not a newbie and the answer still isn't obvious in the sticky and didn't appear in any searches I did.

Last edited by richard_hamblen : 12-13-2005 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:25 AM   #6 (Print)
pmd

Widescreen switching

Richard, now that you've got it all working (I had the same problem when I got the same TV last week), maybe you can answer this question:

Do your V32 correctly switch screen mode (4:3, Wide) when Tivo is either showing live TV or recordings?

e.g if you have a Tivo recording of a 4:3 program, like Frasier on normally widescreen Channel 4, does your Bravia switch into 4:3 mode when you play it? Because mine doesn't :-(

I thought it was working when I first got the new TV, but it's not working now. The TV changes when viewing its built-in Freeview, but not NTL via Tivo.

My previous Mitsubishi CRT worked OK, and I haven't altered anything on the Tivo AFAIK. I did get a new Pace 4001 NTL box as the previous one died the night before getting the V32, but I think I've got it set the same way - NTL SCART control 'OFF', (yes, OFF, because otherwise if you're watching a recording and Tivo changes the ntl channel in the background the TV will flick between screen formats. I'm 99% certain that's what the old box was set to).

Edit: I just searched the forums for 'widescreen switch' and came across a number of Sony owners this year reporting similar problems. I couldn't find a solution.

Paul

Last edited by pmd : 12-07-2005 at 10:56 AM.
pmd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2005, 01:39 PM   #7 (Print)
DazBarber
Square-eyed member

I have the solution for my Sony tv - switch OFF auto switching (or auto format, whatever it's called) and then Tivo will behave. Unfortunately, Freeview through the tv won't!

Why doesn't this work properly... my parents new Humax DVR works fine with auto format ON (and I hate to say it but the picture outshines TiVo's). Yes, I'm getting tempted by other devices at long last.... Eeek!

Daz
DazBarber is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2005, 03:51 AM   #8 (Print)
Ian_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazBarber
Why doesn't this work properly... my parents new Humax DVR works fine with auto format ON (and I hate to say it but the picture outshines TiVo's). Yes, I'm getting tempted by other devices at long last.... Eeek!

Try mode 0.
Ian_m is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2005, 05:25 PM   #9 (Print)
richard_hamblen

hi pmb
sorry for taking so long to get back - i was on vacation for a week.

re your question...
Do your V32 correctly switch screen mode (4:3, Wide) when Tivo is either showing live TV or recordings?

e.g if you have a Tivo recording of a 4:3 program, like Frasier on normally widescreen Channel 4, does your Bravia switch into 4:3 mode when you play it? Because mine doesn't :-(

simple answer is it works perfectly for me ie autosenses the signal to switch sizes. ie doesn't show 4:3 but senses it to stretch because that is what I turned on and want it to do.

the solution is remarkably simple if you want the screen to switch to 4:3 when that is the signal sent.

using the screen size option on the tv, either from the button or from the menu, select 4:3 as the default.
Then widescreen video is then switched to automatically.

R.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:08 AM   #10 (Print)
pmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_hamblen
the solution is remarkably simple if you want the screen to switch to 4:3 when that is the signal sent.

using the screen size option on the tv, either from the button or from the menu, select 4:3 as the default.
Then widescreen video is then switched to automatically.

That doesn't work for me I'm afraid....

My setup is as follows:

- NTL Pace 4001 cable box, set to output RGB, with SCART switching OFF, connected via SCART to:
- Tivo, SCART Control ON, Output set to RGB and PAL, connected via the SCART cable that worked with my last TV to:
- AV1 on the V32, with Auto screen format switch On.

And this is what happens:

Watching live BBC1 (ntl 101) via the Tivo. The broadcast is 16:9, the TV is set Wide. Everything looks fine.

Using Tivo, switch to Eurosport (ntl 112). This is a 4:3 broadcast, but the TV stays in Wide, leading to a lot of very fat looking ski jumpers and curlers. WRONG.

Press Aux on Tivo remote, bypassing Tivo's processing and sending the ntl signal straight to the TV. The TV instantly switches to 4:3. CORRECT.

Press Aux again on Tivo remote, to view again via Tivo. TV switches to Wide again, showing me fat skijumpers again. WRONG.

So I decide to correct it, following what I understood to be your solution - I pressed the format button on the TV remote until I get to 4:3. Correct aspect ration for the broadcast.

Using Tivo, switch back to BBC1 (ntl 101). The TV stays in 4:3 mode (because that's what I last selected), so I get a lot of very tall thin people sitting on the Breakfast News sofa. WRONG.

Press the TV remote format button so the TV goes to Wide, giving a correct picture.

Repeat endlessly... :-(

So the TV is fine when it gets the signal direct from the ntl box, but as soon as Tivo gets in on the act it gives up switching and just sticks with what I select - auto switching doesn't work. It used to work fine with my Mitsubishi CRT using the same cables and settings (though the ntl box was replaced).

If I turn the TV's Auto Format to Off, then it still doesn't switch when viewing via Tivo, but it now also doesn't switch when getting a direct feed from the ntl box, or its own Freeview tuner. As you'd expect.

Someone else said they didn't have any problems with a V40, so either everyone is misunderstanding what I want to do (I doubt it though, it's quite straightforward), or there's something wrong with my particular setup.

Cheers,
Paul
pmd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2005, 02:35 PM   #11 (Print)
richard_hamblen

Hmmm not sure I can help here, but I can explain my setup and the differences.

I have a telewest box a Pace 4000
The setup is for widescreen and RGB output.

The Tivo is set for rgb+pal output and the scart control is on.

The tv when I set to 4:3 acts in the following way…

TV signal from BBC1 is wide displayed as wide!
Change to say LivingTV showing an old sitcom in 4:3 and the TV switches to 4:3

not more I can say really.

just reread something - have you got the tv also doing autoformat?
turn this on and it might do the trick.
menu = down to third item in list