July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-06-2005, 12:15 AM   #1 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
The Triangle 12/5/2005 (spoilers for all 3 parts allowed)

I've never seen a DirecTV channel so poor as SciFi was during the 9pm-11pm ET timeslot for this movie. Something was sucking bandwidth up and not letting it go to SciFi and/or this whole movie has poor color/contrast/brightness.

But that aside, it wasn't terribly bad for a SciFi original movie. It's got me curious enough to be looking forward to tomorrow nights showing.

I really don't know how people can stand those pre-commercial "what's gonna happen in the next segment" pieces. Whoever thought those up? They're absurd. It's practiocally turned into a synopsis of the important stuff happening in the segment after the commercials. I suppose mostly it's a way for them to stretch the breaks out more so they can make an hour of content fill a 2 hour slot without appearing greedy.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2005, 05:48 AM   #2 (Print)
bentleyml
Doctor Who Addict

Send a message via AIM to bentleyml
I liked it quite a bit too. Granted I missed like a minute or two in the very early portion due to TimeWarner doing a Emergency Broadcast System test. This was during the 1am to 3am showing, but still... Grrr.

bentleyml is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2005, 12:03 PM   #3 (Print)
JohnB1000

I'm enjoying it and I'm glad to see it wasn't my new TV that was causing such a bad picture. The "what's next" stuff is not too bad in the show cause at least it just shows a snippet from the next section, not a run down of the rest of the show
JohnB1000 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #4 (Print)
sieglinde

I just skip through the little previews. (saves time)

I have only watched most of part 1. So far it is weird but not a whole lot has happened. I find the team a bit unbelievable.
sieglinde is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2005, 01:46 PM   #5 (Print)
cheesesteak
with fried onions

I've liked it so far. Part 2 was kinda boring but I expected that. Looking for a good payoff in tonight's episode.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #6 (Print)
Graymalkin
Halfwit Pundit

Send a message via AIM to Graymalkin
This is a three-parter? Crap. I better get home in time tonight to record part 3.
Graymalkin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2005, 02:13 PM   #7 (Print)
Jonathan_S

The 747 going nose to nose with the lost TBY Avenger training flight was a bit odd, given how much higher a 747 flies than an unpressurized prop plane.

But so far (about 75% through part 1) it's fairly interesting.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #8 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

It reruns again right after the first showing...

I'm amused by how many actors they have who were highly-regarded at the beginning of their careers, but never really lived up to the initial promise. Eric Stolz, Lou Diamond Phillips, Sam Neil, Bruce Davison, Charles Martin Smith (although he's really more a director these days)...

Old 12-07-2005, 02:25 PM   #9 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin
This is a three-parter? Crap. I better get home in time tonight to record part 3.

If you miss the 9pm-11pm ET showing, you can catch them 11pm-1am ET showing. And if you miss that, you can catch the 1am-3am ET showing.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:42 PM   #10 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

That was an interesting premise... as long as you don't think about it too much.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:57 PM   #11 (Print)
dago
Some guy..

same premise as TNG all good things. much much better then i expected from scifi.
dago is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2005, 08:12 AM   #12 (Print)
Mike Farrington
Fatty McButterpants

Send a message via AIM to Mike Farrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dago
same premise as TNG all good things. much much better then i expected from scifi.

Yes. I was waiting for someone to say: "It's the chicken and the egg, Wil! The chicken and the egg!"
Mike Farrington is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2005, 08:56 AM   #13 (Print)
cancermatt
No Pop Culture Here.

Send a message via AIM to cancermatt Send a message via Yahoo to cancermatt
I may be in the minority around here, but The Triangle is nothing more than a sleep accellerator for me... thank goodness for my tv's sleep button... I'm more interested in objects/people disappearing in or around the triangle, not in downtown Miami or elsewhere and reappearing. I'll record part 3 but most likely FF thru it and give up. I'll save this one for you guys/gals enjoying it
cancermatt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2005, 10:35 AM   #14 (Print)
Graymalkin
Halfwit Pundit

I haven't watched this yet, but that comparison to "All Good Things" is ominous, because that makes it sounds like the people exploring the Triangle actually created it by exploring it.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:47 AM   #15 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin
I haven't watched this yet, but that comparison to "All Good Things" is ominous, because that makes it sounds like the people exploring the Triangle actually created it by exploring it.

No.

The event was triggered by the Philadelphia Experiment in the 40's. In 1971 they determined a focal point in the future where a major event would occur and must be prevented. They determined creating some sort of explosion at that event would repair the tear. Instead the answer was to NOT do something so that the tear (actually a ripple) would dissipate normally.

So the event was caused in the 40's, affected the 05's which rippled back in time to affect that area in the past, including prior to the 40's. "Fixing" it was to let it dissipate on its own. Had they done what they planned, the entire known world would've changed/disappeared.

So the whole thing wasn't caused by actions in '05. It just ended then.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #16 (Print)
Graymalkin
Halfwit Pundit

Ah, I see. Kinda.

Gawd, I hate time travel stuff.

Last edited by Graymalkin : 12-08-2005 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:08 AM   #17 (Print)
Mike Farrington
Fatty McButterpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
No.

The event was triggered by the Philadelphia Experiment in the 40's. In 1971 they determined a focal point in the future where a major event would occur and must be prevented. They determined creating some sort of explosion at that event would repair the tear. Instead the answer was to NOT do something so that the tear (actually a ripple) would dissipate normally.

So the event was caused in the 40's, affected the 05's which rippled back in time to affect that area in the past, including prior to the 40's. "Fixing" it was to let it dissipate on its own. Had they done what they planned, the entire known world would've changed/disappeared.

So the whole thing wasn't caused by actions in '05. It just ended then.

That's not the way I understood it. It seemed more like "All Good Things" to me. The phenomon known as the Bermuda Triangle was caused in the future and its effects rippled backwards through time. By not doing anything at the "crux moment", they essentially failed to create the BT. It was created in the future (our present) by the scientists who discovered the "Exotic Matter". Remember, the Navy head honcho could very well be fibbing about the Philadelphia Experiment. Or he may even have believed that the Philadelphia Experiment caused the Triagle, but it was in fact the work with the "Exotic Matter" that created it. They thought preventing the "crux moment" (repairing the tear) was a good thing, but it wasn't.

Here's a question. Did the resolution happen in a different quantum reality? Was the reporter thrown backwards in time or sideways dimentionally?

All in all, I think it was okay. It was entertaining, but not particularly noteworthy. (But yet, here I am writing about it.)
Old 12-08-2005, 11:42 AM   #18 (Print)
TIVO_GUY_HERE

I haven't read all the posts in here yet, not having seen part 3. But I was REALLY disappointed with part 2. May watch part 3 this weekend.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2005, 11:46 AM   #19 (Print)
Redux
No intent to annoy

Quote:
No.

The event was triggered by the Philadelphia Experiment in the 40's.

No.

I think Mike Farrington, above, has it pretty much right.

OTOH I slept/worked on my laptop/did whatever I could to avoid watching through most of it so maybe I misunderstood.
Redux is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2005, 11:46 AM   #20 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

It was a little more complicated than that. The Philadelphia Experiment involved a tear in space-time. They thought that the Bermuda Triangle was caused by the tear, and that it would go blooey in 2005. But in fact, the Bermuda Triangle was caused by their attempt to repair the tear in 2005. By ultimately NOT repairing the tear, they retroactively eliminated the Bermuda Triangle, which now never happened.

I think the problems at the Philadelphia Experiment WERE caused by the attempt to fix the tear, i.e. a manifestation of the ripple. The idea that the P.E. caused the whole thing wasn't true; it was the misconception that led the Navy to try to "repair" the "tear."

Old 12-08-2005, 12:21 PM   #21 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
It was a little more complicated than that. The Philadelphia Experiment involved a tear in space-time. They thought that the Bermuda Triangle was caused by the tear, and that it would go blooey in 2005. But in fact, the Bermuda Triangle was caused by their attempt to repair the tear in 2005. By ultimately NOT repairing the tear, they retroactively eliminated the Bermuda Triangle, which now never happened.

I think the problems at the Philadelphia Experiment WERE caused by the attempt to fix the tear, i.e. a manifestation of the ripple. The idea that the P.E. caused the whole thing wasn't true; it was the misconception that led the Navy to try to "repair" the "tear."

Rather convenient then that it happened to affect a ship performing an experiment in electromagnetism.

I'll stick with my explanation. It follows the facts in the miniseries better.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:58 PM   #22 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Rather convenient then that it happened to affect a ship performing an experiment in electromagnetism.

I'll stick with my explanation. It follows the facts in the miniseries better.

Not really. The ripples were emanating from 2005, not 1943. And it's pretty logical that an electromagnetic phenomenon would effect an electromagnetic experiment.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:11 PM   #23 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
Not really. The ripples were emanating from 2005, not 1943. And it's pretty logical that an electromagnetic phenomenon would effect an electromagnetic experiment.

You watch your story; I'll watch mine. It's not like one is really that much more right than the other from a real-world perspective, anyway.

Your way I'd have to say it was like a bad Star Trek story. My way avoids that nasty comparison.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:54 PM   #24 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Your way I'd have to say it was like a bad Star Trek story. My way avoids that nasty comparison.

Of course, my way has the added benefit of making sense.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:56 PM   #25 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
Of course, my way has the added benefit of making sense.

As much sense as any Star Trek story ever made.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:46 PM   #26 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
As much sense as any Star Trek story ever made.

Well, pooh on you!

There, I'd say this discussion has settled to its natural level!

Old 12-11-2005, 10:30 AM   #27 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!

After watching Part 1, I thought this had promise. I watched the last two parts back to back last night and I was disappointed and a little confused. They all woke up with the memory of what they'd been through, but they knew what was going on in the other's current lives (boyfriend, wife & kids, etc...)?

Oh, and not to jump on the bandwagon, but Rob is right.

Old 12-11-2005, 11:59 AM   #28 (Print)
5thcrewman
Wavy Goth Survivor

Did the SecNav get his leg back?
Because the Philadelphia Experiment still happened, but without the weird complications right? Just like all the flights and voyages completed without drama.

5thcrewman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2005, 12:33 PM   #29 (Print)
unicorngoddess

I got very confused at the end...I'm thinking maybe I missed somethings. But after they were all denied their $5 million that one guy went home and had a check for $5 million. Was it just him or are we to assume they all got a check?

They should've saved more time for showing everyone's new lives. I would have liked to see what happened with the one chick's mother. Was the lady she called really suppose to be her mother...instead all we got was a, "I'm sorry...I don't have a daughter."
unicorngoddess is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2005, 12:51 PM   #30 (Print)
Mike Farrington
Fatty McButterpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thcrewman
Did the SecNav get his leg back?
Because the Philadelphia Experiment still happened, but without the weird complications right? Just like all the flights and voyages completed without drama.

I'm sure the Philadelphia Experiment still occurred, but I doubt there were any effects such as the dematerializatin of the decking and such that caused the loss of life and limb.