July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2005, 03:40 AM   #1 (Print)
benallenuk

5 symptons for a poorly tivo.

Hi guys, I think part of my tivo is on its way out. The symptons are below:

1. Very oscasionally one of my recordings would be all blocky, it would show up on playback also. This hasnt happened for about 2 months.

2. Recently Tivo has been rebooting at randon times during the night

3. Tivo crashed during Guided setup after complaining "Failed: Service Unavailable" after dialing.

4. Every time i try and preform a guided setup it fails on its setup call. A 12hr unplugged sleep seems to sort the problem.

5. Daily Mails Have stoped compiling and being sent, upon request. Never got cron to work!

I dont think ive messed around with hardisk too much, although have installed loads of hacks, modules, scripts, games, mp3 player.

IS my Hardisk in need of a format and re-image, is my powersuppyly on its way out or is my hardisk playin up??

Cheers

Ben Allen

Old 12-15-2005, 07:44 AM   #2 (Print)
iankb

The TiVo only has a 50MHz RISC processor, and very limited memory. Some of your hacks do not sound conducive with letting it do the job that it was intended to do. Were any of the MP3 player, games(!) and streaming video server running at the time?

I would definitely consider replacing your PSU, since they do wear out.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus
iankb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 07:48 AM   #3 (Print)
benallenuk

The streaming server runs off a seperate pc. My I do get what your saying!

I think I will treat it to a new PSU!

Also preparing a fresh tivo drive as we speak!

Ben

Old 12-16-2005, 01:24 AM   #4 (Print)
Heuer

All those symptoms point to a PSU going down. I speak from experience as I just changed the HD on my TiVo and still got everything you are seeing. I found when forcing a daily call it caused a reboot suggesting initialising the modem (or cachecard) was increasing power requirements.

Old 12-17-2005, 06:51 AM   #5 (Print)
benallenuk

I have installed the new disk with the fresh image and its workin well, really fast in the menu's. I think the problems were down to the tivo running too much in the background, or badly configured setup by me, lol.

Anyway Im glad that I was forced to re-image a drive coz now i know how easy it is!