TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

View Poll Results: Did the Apprentice winner make the right choice?
Yes, he made the right choice not backing Rebecca 29 18.35%
No, he should have backed Rebecca 129 81.65%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 12-16-2005, 08:49 AM   #1 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

Did the Apprentice winner make the right choice?

Did Randy make the right choice by not recommending Trump hire Rebecca?

I thought it was classless. He would lose nothing but 5 minutes of the spotlight in some interviews on Friday.

retired (must watch though) Sony T60 2-160 drives
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder

ďBe yourself, itís easier isnít it?Ē
newsposter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 09:24 AM   #2 (Print)
lambertman
This post stinks

Send a message via Yahoo to lambertman
He may have thought it was a trick - he says "yes", Trump says "that's no way to work in business. You're Fired Afterall!"

caveat: I don't watch the show. I"m just spitballin' here.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:34 AM   #3 (Print)
Jebberwocky!
Named by SOAK

Mr. Trump, I'd be honored to have her as my assistant!

"Nobody moves, nobody get hurt"
Jebberwocky! is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-17-2005, 09:55 AM   #4 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

At least Rebecca is classy about the whole thing. She got in some decent jabs too on some of her interviews

Old 12-17-2005, 10:26 AM   #5 (Print)
Lee L
Got Basenji?

I did not watch the show, but why did Trump give a crap about the guy's opinion? Does he normally give in to his assitants or middle managers like that? I doubt it.

Please pardon the appearance while this signature is being improved for your future enjoyment.
Lee L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 04:29 PM   #6 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

Maybe it was a test for Randy?

Old 12-19-2005, 04:52 PM   #7 (Print)
mike3775

Send a message via AIM to mike3775 Send a message via MSN to mike3775 Send a message via Yahoo to mike3775
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter
Maybe it was a test for Randy?

I saw it and thats the way I took it myself
mike3775 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 11:26 PM   #8 (Print)
Deekeryu

I answered Yes because I respect Randall's decision. He could have said "Yeah, hire Rebecca", but that would defeat the purpose of the spirit of competition. Rebecca lost plain and simple. I don't see people in sports, competitions, or job interviews saying Yeah, I'd love to share my title with my nearest competitor. And I don't think anyone should feel sorry for Rebecca. She has tons of other job offers already.
Deekeryu is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 08:57 AM   #9 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deekeryu
I answered Yes because I respect Randall's decision. He could have said "Yeah, hire Rebecca", but that would defeat the purpose of the spirit of competition. Rebecca lost plain and simple. I don't see people in sports, competitions, or job interviews saying Yeah, I'd love to share my title with my nearest competitor. And I don't think anyone should feel sorry for Rebecca. She has tons of other job offers already.

He did get 1st place and would always be remembered as winning. But then again, I fault DT for asking a question for which he may not like the answer. Unless it's a certainty, you best not ask such questions on live tv.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:29 AM   #10 (Print)
Lee L
Got Basenji?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deekeryu

But, the larger spirit of comeptition here is Donald Trump's company against its competitors. Why not hire 2 excellent people instead of letting her go to some other company?

Please pardon the appearance while this signature is being improved for your future enjoyment.
Lee L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 12:30 PM   #11 (Print)
dirtypacman
Best in Class

Very simply answer as he stated it... this is the APPRENTICE not APPRENTIES... and if he was to hire a runner up there has been better ones in season's past.

3) PIONEER #810H-S
4) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour

Comcast HD & Digital
home wired network (4) USB200M
dirtypacman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #12 (Print)
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

Sure, he made the right choice.

Donald, Randy and Rebecca were on larry King last night talking about this. Donald said he made a tough and unpopular call, but that it was a good decision.

If Donald really want's Rebecca, he can make her an offer.

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 02:22 PM   #13 (Print)
marrone
Phased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker

This is true. There is nothing stopping Donald from hiring Rebecca. After all, he theoretically still needs to fill that Jersey position. He was almost willing to give it to Rebecca anyway...he can still do it, she just won't have the "Apprentice" title.

-Mike

Old 12-20-2005, 02:24 PM   #14 (Print)
Jebberwocky!
Named by SOAK

I'm not sure he ever said she be an "apprentice" if he hired her.

"Nobody moves, nobody get hurt"
Jebberwocky! is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 02:48 PM   #15 (Print)
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

I don't get why people jumped over the guy. While I didn't watch this season, I've watched in the past, and that WAS the answer Trump would want. Why? Because he's arrogant and thinks highly of himself. Hence putting his name on everything. He doesn't want a yes-man. He wants someone who will make a good decision.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:04 PM   #16 (Print)
Hansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
Sure, he made the right choice.

Donald, Randy and Rebecca were on larry King last night talking about this. Donald said he made a tough and unpopular call, but that it was a good decision.

Actually, he clearly made the wrong choice. As mentioned, the only right choice after he was hired and deemed the winner was what was best for the company. The question was simple - should Trump hire Rebecca. The analysis was simple (after Randall won) - what is best for the company. Trump made it clear earlier that the game was over, and the issue was what was best for the company.

Randall had the chance to come off as a very competent and skilled executive who acts on what is best for the company, which would have blown away any ridiculous accusations that he would not be "tough" by encouraging the additional hiring of Rebecca. "Tough" is doing the job you just won, not continuing to play a game you just won and is not over. "Tough" is nutting up and saying "the game is over and now we get to business."

Now...very importantly, things do not happen like this if you have 2 seconds notice of a surprise question. If this was a total shocker, I can't blame anyone for being put on the spot, having to consider even the remote possibility of a Trump turnaround, and coming up with something on the spot.

IF (a big "If") Randall anticipated the question and thought about his response, he blew an obvious chance to have Trump and most people watching to raise him to a much higher level. A good answer from him would have been much more help to him than his actual response hurts him (since I don't think it really does).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock
I don't get why people jumped over the guy. While I didn't watch this season, I've watched in the past, and that WAS the answer Trump would want. Why? Because he's arrogant and thinks highly of himself. Hence putting his name on everything. He doesn't want a yes-man. He wants someone who will make a good decision.

Only two problems with that theory. One, Trump would have wanted Randall to answer in such a way that was good for Trump. Randall answered in such a way that he THOUGHT made himself look better. Two, it was not a good decision from a business standpoint because it was not based on Rebecca's abilities and what she could do for Trump. Trump, and most successful people, will take winning a war over winning a battle. Randall tried to win a personal battle that in no way helped Trump or his company, and in fact, was in disregard of Trump and the company. That is not "tough."

Quote:
Very simply answer as he stated it... this is the APPRENTICE not APPRENTIES... and if he was to hire a runner up there has been better ones in season's past.

The winner of the game was no longer an issue, Randall was given the duty of an executive (though he was well within reason to not know the game was officially over). He answered like someone still playing the game. Trump has hired contestants that didn't even make it to the final 6-8.

Last edited by Hansky : 12-20-2005 at 04:26 PM.
Hansky is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 04:22 PM   #17 (Print)
theGUYman

If I were Randal, I would have said "well Mr Trump, why go for one apprentice when you can get two qualified apprentices for the same effort". I am sure she would have been an asset to the Trump org.

And won't Randal look silly if Mr Trump does hire Rebecca later . . .

-- cheers,
....Guy

- Humax DRT-400 and Tivo TCD540040
theGUYman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 05:40 PM   #18 (Print)
Marco
Sua Sponte

I think it was either a test or a set-up. By set-up, I mean Randall may have been told in advance that the question was coming. The producers may even have told him they wanted to "stir things up" by having The Donald ask that question.

I also think if Trump is seriously looking for new executive talent, he would not let Randall make the final decision as to whether he should employ Rebecca; he would make the decision himself. So I doubt that Randall's answer makes any difference in the real world.

Mad thunder points to Marco. -- IndyJones1023
TC Fantasy Hockey Champion, 2005-06
Marco is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 08:06 PM   #19 (Print)
JTAnderson

My guess is that Trump expected a gracious "Yes, Hire her" from Randall and was somewhat surprised by his response. In fact, Trump's "I could be convinced" line seemed out of place under the circumstances and would seem more appropriate had Randall said yes and Trump wanted to keep him on the spot a little longer.

I agree with the majority that Randall made a total bonehead move here. He should have said yes to avoid back-stabbing a "friend" whom he had just defeated, to strengthen the organization he had just joined and to avoid being the most disliked Apprentice winner ever (or, at least, so far).
JTAnderson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post