TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

View Poll Results: Was your waiver apporved?
Yes 28 34.15%
No 54 65.85%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 12-16-2005, 12:01 PM   #1 (Print)
EMoMoney
Big and Tall

Waivers: Approved or Denied?

Just curious from those of you who have requested waivers how many have been approved. The D* person I spoke with on the phone the other day indicated that 1 in 5 are approved.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:25 PM   #2 (Print)
enovak

I can't answer this poll because 2 of my waivers were approved and 2 were not. However, the 2 that were approved were for O&O stations. Also the 2 that were not approved, I am in the process of getting them approved by going directly to the stations.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:36 PM   #3 (Print)
newred5

Buffalo NY market all 4 stations denied twice..

Last edited by newred5 : 12-16-2005 at 04:25 PM.
newred5 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 12:42 PM   #4 (Print)
KillBandit

I'll second the Buffalo NY ones.
KillBandit is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 04:25 PM   #5 (Print)
BlueMonk

Not voting either since 3 approved one denied.

BlueMonk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 04:53 PM   #6 (Print)
andbye

Is there any indication that individual non-O&O stations are granting HD waivers on the basis that the MPEG 4 transition is coming soon and therefore current HD waivers would be considered temporary?
andbye is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 05:00 PM   #7 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

All I know is that one of my very good friends works for the St. Louis CBS affiliate.
They are denying 100% of the waiver requests... no if's, and's, buts about it...

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 05:07 PM   #8 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

Two approved and two denied. Better than nothing.

Old 12-16-2005, 06:15 PM   #9 (Print)
enovak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel
Two approved and two denied. Better than nothing.

Very true. I'm not complaining, especially since I can get perfect signals via OTA. I only want the waivers because it never hurts to have access to both signals.

Old 12-16-2005, 06:20 PM   #10 (Print)
1999cobra

one - three

Fox approved -

ABC, NBC, CBS denied three times !!!

I am considering a civil suit as these three IDIOT stations don't even broadcast HD OTA which makes their denials even more bizzare...
1999cobra is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 06:24 PM   #11 (Print)
Karpa

Both Raleigh O&O denied. I live about 30 miles north of Garner in Franklin County.
Karpa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 07:47 PM   #12 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

Had to call three times to get my HD networks turned on, but they finally did it today - CBS and Fox. I have an OTA antenna on order and perhaps it will bring in some more stations - I'm 35 miles from the transmitters.

Old 12-16-2005, 08:09 PM   #13 (Print)
ChofuHS

This is like gangland with the locals. I hate the way they have done this and I am also pissed at D* for their lack of urgency to help. Long story, but I can't get waivers and I can't get a decent signal from locals and have spent a fortune trying and made my roof ugly in the process. I will NEVER watch local news again! When I get pay D* back, I will leave them also for their lack of support in helping out, hell, they have been an obstacle in this! Can't wait for Comcast and see if they can compete.
ChofuHS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-17-2005, 12:17 AM   #14 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

What is DirecTV supposed to do? It is the FCC and Congress who are making the rules/laws that are making it difficult.... DirecTV would LOVE to turn on the HD Distant locals for anyone.

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-17-2005, 01:11 AM   #15 (Print)
jweek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
All I know is that one of my very good friends works for the St. Louis CBS affiliate.
They are denying 100% of the waiver requests... no if's, and's, buts about it...

Same story here - no waivers period - or reception of OTA HD!
jweek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-17-2005, 10:03 AM   #16 (Print)
Jim Sanchez

No waivers for me in Tucson - I do get PBS and WB OTA though.

Old 12-17-2005, 06:20 PM   #17 (Print)
1999cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChofuHS
This is like gangland with the locals. I hate the way they have done this and I am also pissed at D* for their lack of urgency to help. Long story, but I can't get waivers and I can't get a decent signal from locals and have spent a fortune trying and made my roof ugly in the process. I will NEVER watch local news again! When I get pay D* back, I will leave them also for their lack of support in helping out, hell, they have been an obstacle in this! Can't wait for Comcast and see if they can compete.

I couldn't agree more -

I have been a D* customer for over ten (10) years and not a monthly cheepie either over $75.00 per month consistently currently @ $112.00 a month and never late or missed a payment.

I would have already dropped them if not for the fact that I have no recourse except for Dish and I have to much $$$ invested in D* equipment to just change to another SAT vendor who has the same problems.

However, Comcast has purchased the rights to the Adelphia network in my area and are supposed to come into this area like gangbusters in the spring which includes finishing the wiring of the town I reside in which Adelphia failed to do - do to bankruptcy.

As soon as that happens goodbye to D* and hello to Comcast, braodband, HD locals and no more aggravating dropouts and pixelation...

Also, I will be able to continue with Tivo and that makes me happy...
1999cobra is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-17-2005, 08:04 PM   #18 (Print)
ChofuHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999cobra
I couldn't agree more -

I have been a D* customer for over ten (10) years and not a monthly cheepie either over $75.00 per month consistently currently @ $112.00 a month and never late or missed a payment.

I would have already dropped them if not for the fact that I have no recourse except for Dish and I have to much $$$ invested in D* equipment to just change to another SAT vendor who has the same problems.

However, Comcast has purchased the rights to the Adelphia network in my area and are supposed to come into this area like gangbusters in the spring which includes finishing the wiring of the town I reside in which Adelphia failed to do - do to bankruptcy.

As soon as that happens goodbye to D* and hello to Comcast, braodband, HD locals and no more aggravating dropouts and pixelation...

Also, I will be able to continue with Tivo and that makes me happy...

eBay can handle my equipment. IF Comcast has the product, I am gone and would still hold on to my equipment for a while to make sure it is the same or better quality. D* overall has been excellent in some ways, but in this one area, they have angered me to the point I am willing to toss the rest of the goodwill. With competition from Comcast, finally, in this segement of HD and TiVo, it will end up having to be a good thing for all of us consumers. Competition is good for us end users!
ChofuHS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-17-2005, 09:30 PM   #19 (Print)
Drestin
TiVoFaNaTiC

Just called DTV and resubmitted waiver requests for ABC and NBC; I'm in Southeast Michigan burbs. I have a great roof mounted antenna and absolutely positively cannot recieve either - yet the gal on the phone, who was very kind, pretty much said: Forget about it, never seen an approval from those two stations.

What I don't get is, why not? Why not give a waiver? It means your content will be seen by more viewers. Why on earth would you NOT want that?

Please Tivo, please, hurry up and get your Comcast HD Tivo finished so I can drop satellite and get all my locals (as well as not miss shows due to rain, snow or overcast skies).

Old 12-19-2005, 11:04 AM   #20 (Print)
garyock

Have only gotten ONE so far (FOX). Funny thing, nobody notified me even of that one. Just happened to notice something about it on my 'profile' on website and sure enough it was there?

Don't mind too much since I'm getting excellent HD reception from OTA antenna pointed towards Chciago (I live just over Wisconsin line).

The only HD local I can't seem to get via Chciago stations is CBS. Would be real nice to also have CBS...but can live with all but one.
garyock is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 11:08 AM   #21 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

I eventually got a postcard from DirecTV notifying me of the status.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:42 PM   #22 (Print)
Chris Gerhard

ABC and Fox approved here, NBC and CBS denied here.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 04:20 PM   #23 (Print)
ALtheHokie

Only FOX accepted mine - everybody else denied me. I even contacted the programming directors for ABC, CBS, and NBC here in D.C. to no avail. FOX seems to be the taker in just about every market.
ALtheHokie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 09:21 AM   #24 (Print)
Maniacal1

CBS, Fox and NBC granted waivers here. ABC denied them. And the ABC station that claims me isn't even on our cable system, nor can I get either their SD or HD signals over the air. Oddly enough, when I first signed up with DirecTV, the ABC affiliate was the only station I needed a waiver for, and they had a blanket waiver for my zip code.
Maniacal1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 11:53 AM   #25 (Print)
bollwerk

I had MUCH better success getting waivers by contacting the stations myself. I have waivers for CBS, ABC and NBC. I can't get FOX, because they are apparently in bed with Comcast/Cox cable.
bollwerk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 10:42 PM   #26 (Print)
bosny

I have been denied NBC and ABC. What did those of you do when contacting the locals? What did you say to persuade them to grant the waivers? Anyone have contact info for these stations in NYC? I am in Boston and having a difficult time with my OTA antenna reception. Thank you
bosny is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 09:05 AM   #27 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

It's not the NYC stations you need to contact, it's your local network affiliates (channels 5 and 7 in your case.) They may be the kind of station that denies everyone - they denied me too and I am 35 miles away from the transmitters.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:12 AM   #28 (Print)
Jotas
Got TV?

Send a message via AIM to Jotas
Note

Submitted my request and never heard back.
Jotas is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 03:18 PM   #29 (Print)
reubenray

Mine was denied even though at that time New Orleans did not have any HD stations on the air.
reubenray is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 04:25 PM   #30 (Print)
buzz93

Send a message via ICQ to buzz93
I'm in Miami, FL. and catch the OTA signals just fine. I submitted the waivers just for the fun of it. I got approved for NBC and CBS but denied for the rest. I recently sent in another waiver, lets see what happens.
buzz93 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post