July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2005, 04:45 PM   #1 (Print)
cgcooper

HELP *About Buying TiVo*

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forum and have seen some of the replies from people on here and everyone seems really helpful!

OK, as I know there are some really clever and kind people that love TiVo's just as much as me, but I have some questions to ask...I am going to list the equipment I have and ask some questions.

I have:

Samsung 26" LCD TV: LE26A41B
Pace Di2000T Telewest Cable Box
Philips Pronto RU950 Universal Remote

Basically I wonder at first if there are any KNOWN problems with these products and TiVo or with the products working together? (I haven't yet used the Philips Pronto with the Di2000T but I assume it works...?)

Also if all these are OK together I can't afford to get a phone line put near my TV so I was wondering how I could update the TiVo via the internet as I have a main PC with a router and I use laptops around the house with a wireless connection.

Anyways sorry this is so long, but I hope someone can help!

Cheers,

Chris
cgcooper is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 05:21 PM   #2 (Print)
cwaring

Send a message via MSN to cwaring
The cable box you have will work fine with Tivo but you will need to buy the Cable adapter for it. This is a little box that converts the IrDA output of the Pace box to the IR that Tivo uses.

As for the networking, you simply need to buy either a Cachecard or Turbobet card. Check-out TivoHeaven for more information on these.

There are wireless solutions for Tivo but I have no knowledge or experience with them. I'm sure someone who does will be along shortly

Telewest Active Digital with Pace 2000 STB
Now with added Tivoweb!
Tivo TV Ads & PDF Manuals
cwaring is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 05:24 PM   #3 (Print)
Raisltin Majere

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcooper
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forum and have seen some of the replies from people on here and everyone seems really helpful!

Welcome!

Quote:
I can't afford to get a phone line put near my TV so I was wondering how I could update the TiVo via the internet as I have a main PC with a router and I use laptops around the house with a wireless connection.

http://www.tivoheaven.com/cachecard.htm also available on ebay but the guy who runs that site hangs around here and is definitely trustworthy and helpful and knowledgable (in case you get stuck). Easiest way is to wire the tivo to your router, if that's not possible you can use a bridge.

Otherwise you may be able to get an airnet card (a tivo specific wireless card) but they're no the best.
Raisltin Majere is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 06:01 PM   #4 (Print)
Gavin

Airnet is 801.11b and can't work faster than 11Mbps (and thats shared with your other wireless devices), whereas wired tivonet works at 100Mbps (albiet it shared with other wired devices)

Should you want to use software we can't talk about for the reasons we can't mention wireless would probably be too slow

It's also a specific subset of cards that works with the Airnet board (see http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1660) which references the Airnet board makers forusm on cards that may work. You may find it hard to get an appropriate wireless card that can go in the Tivo.
Gavin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-19-2005, 06:06 PM   #5 (Print)
ndunlavey
Just a user, really

Alternatively, if all that networking stuff seems either a bit scary or a bit like hard work (it falls into one of those for me, and I'm not sure which!), you can a "telephone extender" that works over your mains supply to give you a telephone socket anywhere you have a power socket. That's what I do

Old 12-20-2005, 04:15 AM   #6 (Print)
cgcooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndunlavey
Alternatively, if all that networking stuff seems either a bit scary or a bit like hard work (it falls into one of those for me, and I'm not sure which!), you can a "telephone extender" that works over your mains supply to give you a telephone socket anywhere you have a power socket. That's what I do

Thanks for everyone's help so far you've been great. as i dont really plan on wanting to HACK the TiVo what is this telephone extender? Where can i get one?

Sounds pretty groovy to me.

cheers y'all and MERRY XMAS (5 DAYS EARLY)
Old 12-20-2005, 04:52 AM   #7 (Print)
cwaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindlemon
I think Carl has dealt with most of your other spurious and carping comments - and he's not even been a customer of mine. Thanks Carl

No problem. After yesterday's false attributation of ownership, I hope I've cleared the black mark Besides, I'd have done it anyway

Now with added Tivoweb!
Old 12-20-2005, 05:26 AM   #8 (Print)
manolan

I have been a TiVoHeaven customer. My view is that his prices are very reasonable, turnaround time is excellent and the after purchase support is outstanding, too.

Plus blindlemon is often the first person to try to help out when people have upgrade problems - even if they didn't buy anything from him.

(edited now that there is no mistaken comment to rebut)

Last edited by manolan : 12-21-2005 at 04:47 AM.
manolan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 05:50 AM   #9 (Print)
AMc

I'm also a happy "Heaven" customer - I got a nearly instant response to a installation problem yesterday which was me misreading the instructions. The reason I bought from him in the first place was because of the amazing amount of help Blindlemon gives on here.

Going back on topic this is the type of device http://www.withandwithoutwires.com/...oductID=2051730
You would do well to search on here for a recommendation of something that has been tested and confirmed to work with Tivo.

The cheapest way to do it is to buy a prewired telephone extension kit from a DIY store - about £10 will get you a plugin socket doubler, 15m of cable and clips to run a new point to where you plug your tivo in. That would be my recommendation - cheapest and most reliable.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:17 AM   #10 (Print)
6022tivo
A Happy Member

I have removed my post and PM's carl, to hopefully remove my quotes etc..

This is a case of mistaken identity from a ebay member who ripped me off recently.

I though my ebayer was related to this site, but I can only apologise and can recommend the site in question and the owner who I have know through the forum for a great while who is always helpful to forum members having problems..

I really should have a breathalyser on my PC which only allows me to post when under the limit and with all my marbles intact.

Phil

Pioneer 505XDE
6022tivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 06:37 AM   #11 (Print)
cwaring

Done!

Actually, I did wonder why you made that posting as it seemed very out-of-character; hence my original "happy pills" comment

Now with added Tivoweb!
Old 12-20-2005, 07:37 AM   #12 (Print)
ndunlavey
Just a user, really

Quote:
what is this telephone extender? Where can i get one?

It's a two part device that sends telephone signals round your electricity mains. One box plugs into the mains near where you have a phone socket, and has a telephone plug to go in the phone point. The box you plug into the mains near the device that needs a phone line, and it has a socket to plug the device's telephone cable in.

Many places sell them - here's an example from Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/Sales_Deals...ne_extender.htm

Last edited by ndunlavey : 12-20-2005 at 07:44 AM.
ndunlavey is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 08:40 AM   #13 (Print)
cgcooper

OK,

excellent so i can buy one of them and then i dont have to get invlved with HACKING the TiVo or opening it up?

Also i believe i need a cable adapter because i have a telewest Di2000T cable box?? Anything else i need...oh yeh a TiVo lol. IF ONLY THERE WAS A WAREHOUSE WITH EXCESS STOCK!

Cheers Chris
Old 12-20-2005, 09:06 AM   #14 (Print)
cwaring

Dunno about excess stock, but you could do worse than www.tivoland.com Your one-stop shop for everything Tivo.

PS that was NOT an advert, that was an idea of somwhere good to buy a Tivo from

Now with added Tivoweb!
Old 12-20-2005, 09:15 AM   #15 (Print)
cgcooper

thanks, that is a great site. i probably will get mine from there!

Just to say my TV is mounted on my wall with my wires inside the wall coming out the bottom to connect to my STB. So technically my TV is connected via the ariel cable so if i get a TiVo don't i have to connect via Scart, and that means a big wire running down my wall

Any suggestions.
Thanks everyone

Chris
Old 12-21-2005, 07:40 AM   #16 (Print)
AMc

Tivo will output over the aerial socket - but the picture and sound quality won't be anywhere near as good as using an RGB SCART connection.

As long as you connect Tivo to your cable STB with SCART leads then you shouldn't notice any difference but I would at least try a SCART connection to the TV. You may need to connect Tivo to a SCART TV to do the initial set up - I honestly can't remember if you have to configure the RF channel or if it is enabled when you first start up.

You may find it looks good enough to consider doing a little decorating and burying a SCART lead in the wall too.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:31 AM   #17 (Print)
cgcooper

ok thanks.

yeh i may need a scart run in the wall so my tivo can connect without any wires. also how bad would the signal be through the cable currently being used?

chris
Old 12-22-2005, 06:22 AM   #18 (Print)
cgcooper

Hi,

The wire running down the "inside" of my wall is obviously hidden so the TV looks great but at the bottom I have 1 wire which is connected to the STB Box (Cable Input) another connected to the same box as (TV) and then a spare cable with no end on it (but i assume that's been left so i can add something in the future.)

So can I not use the spare cable to connect the TiVo to my TV? Because all the wires run up the inside of the wall to connect to the TV. That way I wouldnt need to pay an electrician to fit a scart plug and start opening power point's on my wall?

Cheers,

Chris
Old 12-22-2005, 07:48 AM   #19 (Print)
AMc

If you really don't care about picture quality then just insert Tivo between the cable STB and the TV. You will need to connect the cable box to the Tivo with a SCART.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:54 AM   #20 (Print)
cgcooper

Thanks.

Yes that sound's ok but does that mean the picture quality will be rubbish? Maybe it is worth getting a SCART lead behind the wall. I don't want to spend £250 on a TiVo and the quality be awful.

Thanks for your help guys.
Look forward to hearing from you!