July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-28-2005, 01:51 PM   #1 (Print)
Kanyon71

Tivo to partner up with DirecTV and DishNetwork

Not sure what this actually means. Could be good?
Kanyon71 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 02:08 PM   #2 (Print)
SpacemanSpiff

Given the competing nature between Dish and DirecTV I can't see them working together in any way. By the same token, since D* is dropping TiVo for their own DVR I can't see them doing anything with TiVo to help move content off of a D* platform to another one.
SpacemanSpiff is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 02:24 PM   #3 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Maybe TiVo is "breaking up" their software package, and you can license certain pieces of it.

So say DirecTV wants to license the Scheduler/Wishlist aspects of the unit (which is pure software based).....

Just an idea...

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 02:25 PM   #4 (Print)
morgantown
DTV + Tvio = ;-)

Wishful thinking, I would guess. Spaceman pretty much covered the bases.

Perhaps more of that "TiVo has a patent on (fill in the blank here) and any provider that tries to duplicate that must partner/pay TiVo or face infringement lawsuits."

The "other" DVR, 2/06 (inactive)
DTV & NFLST Since 1997, not looked back yet...
morgantown is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 02:34 PM   #5 (Print)
jmoak

The blurb says:
"Several websites have posted rumors about an impending partnership between Tivo, (and) DirectTV and Dish Network. ...rumor has it that they will partner up to provide mobile content."

It would be quite a stretch to get "TiVo is "breaking up" their software package" out of that.

Has anyone found any of the other of the "Several websites" where this is mentioned?

I can't find any anywhere.
jmoak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 02:53 PM   #6 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Sorry... missed the mobile piece of it.

I honed in the fact they listed TiVo as a "video recording and scheduling service"
Hence the "scheduling" brake out of software...

Guess one can dream can't they.

DBSTalk
Old 12-28-2005, 03:29 PM   #7 (Print)
Guindalf
Master Of My Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic

Wow, Earl. And I thought you were bionic!!

That's twice in one day!!!!!!!

NE Georgia Motorcycling? Visit foothillsmc.com
Guindalf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 03:31 PM   #8 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

I know.... getting stretched thin posting on 4 forums....

I need to slow down... and maybe do some real work.... nahhhhh

DBSTalk
Old 12-29-2005, 02:16 AM   #9 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanyon71

Not sure what this actually means. Could be good?
I somewhat doubt the article since NDS the developers of the "R15" and the "HR20-250" is unlikely to allow TiVo in through the backdoor. And the fact that NDS have their own software XTV2Go (Sounds a lot like TiVo2Go doesn't it) which they are going to be showing off at CES 2006. Basically, the XTV2GO and XTV Ready are for CE devices only.

While I was at the CES 2006 web site I noticed something hidden in the information at the top of the page under Personal TV - DVRs Audience Measurement, Personalization and "DVR ads".

Does this mean that everyone who has the new "R15" and maybe the new "HR20-250" in the future is going to get PERSONALIZED TARGETED ADS "SPAM". Shouldn't we ask how DirecTV and NDS are going to deliver those ADS. If it is like TiVo showcases or messages then no problem, but if it is intrusive then the "NDS" DVR users are going to be very unhappy.

Link: NDS CES 2006

Link: NDS Home Page

(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 HMO/MRV
(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
with TyTool, TServer, TiVoServer
tbeckner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 09:40 AM   #10 (Print)
texas arsenal
FCDallas.net

Might this be the reason ch 237 is back?
texas arsenal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 10:07 AM   #11 (Print)
john-duncan-yoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeckner
I somewhat doubt the article since NDS the developers of the "R15" and the "HR20-250" is unlikely to allow TiVo in through the backdoor. And the fact that NDS have their own software XTV2Go (Sounds a lot like TiVo2Go doesn't it) which they are going to be showing off at CES 2006. Basically, the XTV2GO and XTV Ready are for CE devices only.

It could be DTV telling NDS get the R15 right fast or your history. Better to pay someone else to make the software work than to be totally driven out of the hardware business.

Quote:
While I was at the CES 2006 web site I noticed something hidden in the information at the top of the page under Personal TV - DVRs Audience Measurement, Personalization and "DVR ads".

Does this mean that everyone who has the new "R15" and maybe the new "HR20-250" in the future is going to get PERSONALIZED TARGETED ADS "SPAM". Shouldn't we ask how DirecTV and NDS are going to deliver those ADS. If it is like TiVo showcases or messages then no problem, but if it is intrusive then the "NDS" DVR users are going to be very unhappy.

I've been getting different showcases on my two different TiVO's (R10 and sd-40) for awhile now. One machine is largely set up for children's programming and the other is mostly series television.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:16 AM   #12 (Print)
Kanyon71

Quote:

Well actually Tivo is doing the Personalized Ad's thing also. This could have something to do with that, I remember D* and Tivo made some announcement a while back about Ad's or something to that matter. I'm just too lazy to search the forums for it right now.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:26 PM   #13 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanyon71
Well actually Tivo is doing the Personalized Ad's thing also. This could have something to do with that, I remember D* and Tivo made some announcement a while back about Ad's or something to that matter. I'm just too lazy to search the forums for it right now.
But other than the showcases and messages have you been getting anything that appears to be Ads.

This is something new, and could be same as the FF Ads that regular TiVo users have been getting or maybe something worst. None of us have any idea. I just thought that it was interesting that is was on the CES 2006 NDS Information page at the the end of their informational paragraph.

It might be nothing or it might be something totally new and maybe something that gets activated at the same time as the NDS xVOD support gets activated this next year, which DirecTV calls "My VOD".

I did read a little more into the NDS "xVOD" (which is DirecTV "My VOD"), and it appears that I am right that almost all of the content will be PPV only, in fact NDS is really building up their PPV capability across all of their various product lines, which includes their mobile CE device only support (that is right no desktop or laptop support).

In fact their mobile support appears to be surrounded by PPV informations, which just might mean that you will have to pay to download the content to a DRM CE device.

Do the reading on their site and the CES 2006 site and you should have a better idea where everything is headed.

On the NDS site, they have information about their server technology and feeds to Moxi like thin remote devices. Some very interesting information, but what you will find is that in almost all cases it is like the OLD Circuit City disposable DVD concepts, which was rejected in the US, so I believe that NDS does not have a clue when it comes to American's.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94

Last edited by tbeckner : 12-30-2005 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:30 PM   #14 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-duncan-yoyo
I've been getting different showcases on my two different TiVO's (R10 and sd-40) for awhile now. One machine is largely set up for children's programming and the other is mostly series television.
But that is in showcases which can be ignored and are not intrustive Ads. If you get a chance to read the NDS information (hard to follow on their web site, the information is somewhat disjointed) they appear to be a company that is Europe based and has no real idea what the American market is, which of course they are.

Their Ad technology would be built for the Europeans and not the American marketplace, so there is a huge possibility that their targeted Ads could be something very intrustive.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
Old 12-30-2005, 01:21 AM   #15 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:

I honed in the fact they listed TiVo as a "video recording and scheduling service"
Hence the "scheduling" brake out of software...

Guess one can dream can't they.
Earl,

I don't think that we have to worry about TiVo getting reinvolved with DirecTV. NDS has its own products, one is called XTV2Go (notice how close that is to TiVo2Go) and XTV Replay, but both products are based upon downloading to DRM enabled CE devices and appear to be fully wrapped with PPV capability. Which could mean that you will have to Pay Per View or Pay Per Download.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
Old 12-30-2005, 08:52 AM   #16 (Print)
Billy Bob Boy
Tivo schmivo

My dream is Tivo becomes a super powerfull force bought up by some trillionaire who than procedes to buy up D*, dish, and everyother entertainment media, including hollywood and the music industry. The person is a super philanthropist and starts giving the premium package for the cost of the basic package. Procedes to develope tivo software version 12.4 which does everything but make coffee. (heck let it make coffee). and decides to put every movie ,song and tv show on demand all for the low low price of 29.95 per year.

Ok time to wake up now!!!!!!!!! Back to reality eventualy no tivo on D* ,Nothing on sat on demand and nothing but 6.2 ) Nice dream anyway HUH!!! .

Wait what is this letter! My rich uncle the sultan of brunai has put me in his will.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:55 AM   #17 (Print)
Billy Bob Boy
Tivo schmivo

Quote:
I know.... getting stretched thin posting on 4 forums....

I need to slow down... and maybe do some real work.... nahhhhh
Glad to see yah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-30-2005, 09:59 AM   #18 (Print)
Kanyon71

Quote:
But other than the showcases and messages have you been getting anything that appears to be Ads.

This is something new, and could be same as the FF Ads that regular TiVo users have been getting or maybe something worst. None of us have any idea. I just thought that it was interesting that is was on the CES 2006 NDS Information page at the the end of their informational paragraph.

It might be nothing or it might be something totally new and maybe something that gets activated at the same time as the NDS xVOD support gets activated this next year, which DirecTV calls "My VOD".

I did read a little more into the NDS "xVOD" (which is DirecTV "My VOD"), and it appears that I am right that almost all of the content will be PPV only, in fact NDS is really building up their PPV capability across all of their various product lines, which includes their mobile CE device only support (that is right no desktop or laptop support).

In fact their mobile support appears to be surrounded by PPV informations, which just might mean that you will have to pay to download the content to a DRM CE device.

Do the reading on their site and the CES 2006 site and you should have a better idea where everything is headed.

On the NDS site, they have information about their server technology and feeds to Moxi like thin remote devices. Some very interesting information, but what you will find is that in almost all cases it is like the OLD Circuit City disposable DVD concepts, which was rejected in the US, so I believe that NDS does not have a clue when it comes to American's.

Actually I have SA Tivo's right now and an R15, I meant the FF ad's and that Tivo is also working on a Targeted ad system. No clue when it will see light of day.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:19 PM   #19 (Print)
mike48

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff
Given the competing nature between Dish and DirecTV I can't see them working together in any way. By the same token, since D* is dropping TiVo for their own DVR I can't see them doing anything with TiVo to help move content off of a D* platform to another one.

Maybe to make advertising more lucrative they are conspiring to add the code to all DVRs, like they have on DVD players, where you can't fast forward past certain things -- like commercials!
mike48 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-31-2005, 12:28 AM   #20 (Print)
tomo_kun
DJT0M0.

When I read the words "TiVo, Partner, DirecTV, Dishnetwork" in the same sentence in many sources about the portable media thing, it was talking about DirecTV doing the exact same thing as the other two companies (Portable video and computer video).

SOURCE: http://www.pvrwire.com/2005/12/28/r...ortable-market/

My iTunes registry
Fresh new geeky Mac site, iOnMac!
tomo_kun is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-31-2005, 01:13 AM   #21 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo_kun
When I read the words "TiVo, Partner, DirecTV, Dishnetwork" in the same sentence in many sources about the portable media thing, it was talking about DirecTV doing the exact same thing as the other two companies (Portable video and computer video).

SOURCE: http://www.pvrwire.com/2005/12/28/r...ortable-market/
I noticed that the writer of the article said that he did not mean to say that TiVo and Dish would be linking with DirecTV, only that they would be doing the same thing, which is exactly what I said was possible. In fact, the DirecTV DVR "R15" will likely use the NDS XTV2Go (doesn't that sound like a name copy of TiVo2Go?) and/or XTV Replay software, but the NDS softwares biggest problem is that it is for CE devices only. No desktops, no laptops, just Microsoft CE devices only.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94