July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2005, 06:59 AM   #1 (Print)
ncsercs
DirecTivo fan.......

Bestselling Indian author paints grim view of outsourcing jobs

Shyam Mehra, 26, hates it when the Americans call him Sam. He hates it even more when his boss calls him Sam too.

That's not all. He hates his work, his "semi-girlfriend" ... and himself.

Mehra is one of the American-hating characters from a new book that has struck a chord with India's fast-growing middle class.

He could, however, easily be any of the hundreds of thousands of faceless Indians who take on western names and fake accents to provide client services to millions of foreign customers, mostly in the United States.

English-speaking young people like Mehra form the backbone of India's rapidly expanding outsourcing industry which adds 17 billion dollars to the economy and employs 700,000 people.

And just like the country's outsourcing services, which are much in demand, "One Night at the Call Center" by Chetan Bhagat is flying off the shelves.

In a month since its release in October, the book has sold more than 100,000 copies -- an impressive feat in a country where 5,000 copies of a book can ensure it a place in the bestsellers' list.

"The sales have been stunning. I do not know of any other book which has sold so many copies in such a short time in India," says publisher Kapish Mehra of Rupa & Co., which has just signed a deal for Bollywood film adaptation of the book.

He is also in talks with international publishers for foreign language rights.

The sales have come as a surprise even to Bhagat, whose first book "Five Point Someone" -- a fictional account of life at the country's top technology school, the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) -- is still the number three bestseller a year after it hit the stands.

-- "Dim-witted Americans" --

"One Night at the Call Center" is a fictional account of one eventful night at a call center handling customer queries for a US-based computer and appliances company.

The book traces the story of six call center "agents" whose difficult boss, unreasonable customers, and low self-esteem take such a huge toll on them that only a phone call from God can bail them out of the crisis.

As their night shift begins, Radhika Jha becomes Regina Jones and Esha Singh becomes Eliza Singer to help their customers open their vacuum cleaners and pre-heat their ovens.

Mehra's dissatisfaction with his job and love life mirrors the confusion of young Indians who work overnight shifts in call centers and face pressure from disgruntled callers and rapidly changing social rules in dating.

When a customer starts ranting abuse down the phone, he gets a mouthful of invectives back, but only after the phone is put on mute, before the "agent" starts faking cringing politeness again.

Meanwhile, an instructor preparing trainees for the job scribbles a golden rule on the blackboard for handling difficult customers: 10=35.

"Remember, a thirty-five-year-old American's brain and IQ is the same as a 10-year-old Indian's brain ... Americans are dumb, just accept it. I don't want anyone losing their cool during the calls..." the instructor tells a class.

Bhagat, a 31-year-old investment banker based in Hong Kong, says this was a real instance which he came across on his trips to call centers during his six-month research for the book.

"My research showed me that this is what call center instructors teach the trainees," says Bhagat, who has come down hard on outsourcing jobs.

"A call center job is not any better than a sweat shop. Is this the best our young people can do," he says, defending the main theme of his book, in which the charaters find their work demeaning and unproductive.

The characters in the book hate it when they have to explain basic things to their customers, who can be rude at times.

While Bhagat takes a dim view of the backoffice work, his cardboard characters do not harbour much ambition in life either -- one gives in to sexual exploitation to become a fashion model, another gives in to her mother's insistence that she marries a software engineer in the United States.

But Bhagat insists that these jobs waste the full potential of bright, young people, who take them up out of financial compulsion.

"I was shocked to see professionally qualified journalists and bankers working at call centers. Do you think an American graduate will ever take up a job like this?" he says.

The author, who works for Deutsche Bank, says that the country needs to create better infrastructure which can also generate productive employment, rather than providing stop-gap arrangements like outsourcing which can only bring in temporary economic growth.

-- Connects with middle-class Indians --

In "One Night at the Call Center", Bhagat's characters mix self-deprecating humour with angst, office flings and text messaging lingo that appeal to the urban youth.

"I think the book sells because people can relate to the characters. Everyone knows a Shyam or a Priyanka," he says.

But the book has invited comparisons with formulaic Bollywood films, which throw in generous doses of melodrama, romance and fantasy.

Bhagat takes the criticisms in his stride, making no bones about his lack of literary ambitions.

"I have not written it for the cocktail circuit. It is unfair to compare (TV cartoon character) Bart Simpson with Shakespeare, though both are brilliant in their own ways."

The bottomline, he says, is that a work should strike a chord with people.

"My books touch the Indian middle class, where I also come from. I understand their problems, and can make them entertaining."

Bhagat says that while he is having fun working on the screenplay for the film adaptation, his book is also a message to young people not to give up their dreams for a few thousand rupees.

"Look, I have done the entire elitist thing by going to IIT and IIM (Indian Institute of Management), but I do not see any point in sitting in my ivory tower if my message cannot reach people."

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996

2 DTV R10 136hrs (Samsung 7200rpm 160gb) - Temps: 42c & 40c
ncsercs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 07:15 AM   #2 (Print)
edhara
Healing

Send a message via ICQ to edhara Send a message via AIM to edhara Send a message via Yahoo to edhara
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs
Meanwhile, an instructor preparing trainees for the job scribbles a golden rule on the blackboard for handling difficult customers: 10=35.

"Remember, a thirty-five-year-old American's brain and IQ is the same as a 10-year-old Indian's brain ... Americans are dumb, just accept it.

I have no doubt that he has just created the ultimate running joke for the rest of the world.

Online gig calendar! - updated Feb. 12th
edhara is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 08:21 AM   #3 (Print)
vman41

If the customers answers don't follow the script, the typical call center worker is too stupid to recognize whether you know what you are talking about.
vman41 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 08:53 AM   #4 (Print)
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41
If the customers answers don't follow the script, the typical call center worker is too stupid to recognize whether you know what you are talking about.

And they get pissed off if you tell them that you want to talk to someone who doesn't have a script book in front of them.

"easy as 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841"
StanSimmons is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 09:02 AM   #5 (Print)
fergiej
Kiss that Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41

I doubt it. It's not that they are stupid. It's that they have no idea what a Dell Extreme 4000sd looks like, let alone how it works. They are given a script and if things don't fall within the script, they don't know a thing about how to fix it. I can imagine some of these people really do take alot of abuse from us. The problem is, everyone knows they are talking to someone in Delhi. And when they tell us their name is Bill Johnson, well, sorry, I doubt it very much. And we also know that there is little chance of them actually being able to help. It's not really their fault, but they are the one we are talking to right now. And we know our time is being wasted. We need to heap the scorn on the companies that hire out indian companies for first level support. That's where the problem lies.

fergiej is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 09:36 AM   #6 (Print)
dthmj
Smiling Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs

He could, however, easily be any of the hundreds of thousands of faceless Indians who take on western names and fake accents to provide client services to millions of foreign customers, mostly in the United States.

They fake that accent I can't understand????
dthmj is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 09:43 AM   #7 (Print)
minorthr
O and A Party Rock

Send a message via AIM to minorthr
I agree the script is the problem. You get them away from that script and its over johnny. They have no idea what to do. I have had them completely ignore questions I have asked so they can get back on to the script.

minorthr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 09:51 AM   #8 (Print)
pigonthewing
Why bother blogging?

Quote:

"Remember, a thirty-five-year-old American's brain and IQ is the same as a 10-year-old Indian's brain ... Americans are dumb, just accept it. I don't want anyone losing their cool during the calls..." the instructor tells a class.

Thing is though, "our" call centers are the same way. Have you ever done tech support? The customers are morons. All of them. I never considered the impression it would give another country if their only interaction with us was those who call tech support.

I mean, yeah, I'm sure many of us have called technical support with a logical question, but you know you're in the minority when you do it. I mean, don't you?

Old 12-30-2005, 09:53 AM   #9 (Print)
montag
26+6=1

Yeah, we Americans are the dumb ones. Hmmmm, World Super Power vs. Third World Slum. Yeah, that makes sense.
montag is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 10:35 AM   #10 (Print)
Jesda
Nice Pants

Send a message via AIM to Jesda
Americans are generally dumb. They opened call centers in India didnt they?

Old 12-30-2005, 10:44 AM   #11 (Print)
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigonthewing
Thing is though, "our" call centers are the same way. Have you ever done tech support? The customers are morons. All of them. I never considered the impression it would give another country if their only interaction with us was those who call tech support.

I mean, yeah, I'm sure many of us have called technical support with a logical question, but you know you're in the minority when you do it. I mean, don't you?

yea, i've worked in tech support too. of course, the majority of people who call are the ones who, SURPRISE are having problems, whether that be due to their own stupidity, or because they have a legit problem and can't figure out on their own. so of course the average caller will not be that 'smart'.

but then, when i call them up because i want a freagin hard drive cradle so i can add a HDD to my Dell (which for some reason does NOT come with a second HDD cradle - WTF??), i get one person say they don't exist, the second person tells me the wrong model number, the third person tells me that the correct model number, but that i have to order 2 of them (huh??), the fourth person then tells me it doesn't exist, and then the fifth person tells me they're out of stock. Yea, this was a real experience. 2 hours of my life i will never have back. But *I'M* the dumb one.

I did get a lot of pleasure when i got a call a few days later and asked about my experience. Oh yea, reamed them. As i did on the email survey too.
milo99 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 10:53 AM   #12 (Print)
splendid
Sayitagain sweety!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergiej
They are given a script and if things don't fall within the script, they don't know a thing about how to fix it. I can imagine some of these people really do take alot of abuse from us.

It has been my experience as well as a few other people I know that if the call center rep cannot solve the problem, he simply excalates to the next level.

Quote:
And when they tell us their name is Bill Johnson, well, sorry, I doubt it very much.

Does the name of the person really matter? I don't think so.

Quote:
And we also know that there is little chance of them actually being able to help.

IMO I don't think that's necessarily true.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:07 AM   #13 (Print)
Raj

Send a message via ICQ to Raj Send a message via MSN to Raj
As much as people hate indian tech support, do you think people would actually pay a premium price for US based 24x7 tech support?

Enjoy Photography?

Snapshots of Ryan's world (My photography blog.)
Raj is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 11:24 AM   #14 (Print)
Jesda
Nice Pants

Send a message via AIM to Jesda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj
As much as people hate indian tech support, do you think people would actually pay a premium price for US based 24x7 tech support?

I do on Dells. 3-year on-site package. I think its okay to run first-tier support in India, but anything beyond that should be with North American techs who have better access to resources and information.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:28 AM   #15 (Print)
Raj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda
I do on Dells. 3-year on-site package. I think its okay to run first-tier support in India, but anything beyond that should be with North American techs who have better access to resources and information.

Is that for your home use or business?

Business I can understand the need for 24x7 support, but for most home users it's a luxury. I don't see the need for 24x7 home support. A want maybe, but not a need.

I hardly use tech support anyway, except to order parts, but I'm tech savvy.

Enjoy Photography?

Old 12-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #16 (Print)
Agatha Mystery
Annoying Know-it-all

Send a message via AIM to Agatha Mystery Send a message via MSN to Agatha Mystery Send a message via Yahoo to Agatha Mystery
I don't see a need for 24x7 home, but I would like extended hours, since I'm not likely to call a call center from work about my personal computer that isn't in front of me. If the technician tells me to do something, I won't be able to.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:25 PM   #17 (Print)
Snowman
Kinda fuggly

It's not 7x24 support. They work in the middle of the night because that's OUR workday.
Snowman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 12:33 PM   #18 (Print)
splendid
Sayitagain sweety!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman
It's not 7x24 support. They work in the middle of the night because that's OUR workday.

Well, if the person who is making the call is calling in the middle of the night let's say 1 or 2am, then I would imagine it would be 7x24.

The same would apply if the caller was calling the call center at 12 noon.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:35 PM   #19 (Print)
Raj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman

Some companies do rolling tech support b/c timezones in other countries make it easy to hire day shift workers to do night shift work.

We have people in malaysia handling user account requests at night.

Veritas rolls their tech support to the UK and Australia depending on the time.

Enjoy Photography?

Old 12-30-2005, 12:52 PM   #20 (Print)
bgreen5
Glass 1/2 broken

Quote:

HA! DUMB?!!!! WE'RE the ones that took away their land and gave them all smallpox and turned them into alchoholics.

Who you callin' "dumb" now?

...morons. Go crawl back in your teepees and smokum' that peace pipe.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:15 PM   #21 (Print)
Raj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreen5
HA! DUMB?!!!! WE'RE the ones that took away their land and gave them all smallpox and turned them into alchoholics.

Who you callin' "dumb" now?

...morons. Go crawl back in your teepees and smokum' that peace pipe.

Dots not feathers...

Enjoy Photography?

Old 12-30-2005, 01:35 PM   #22 (Print)
bgreen5
Glass 1/2 broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj
Dots not feathers...

oops!

Old 12-30-2005, 01:56 PM   #23 (Print)
Tangent
Format c:\*.*

Quote:

Lol, that's like trying to determine how healthy an entire country's population is by finding out what percentage of the people at one of their hospitals are sick. Now if it would have said that a 35 year old caller's brain is the same as the average 10 year old's brain I'd have no problem accepting it. Face it, the vast majority of people who are unable or unwilling to find answers on their own and call phone support aren't the brightest people...
Tangent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 02:06 PM   #24 (Print)
bgreen5
Glass 1/2 broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent
Face it, the vast majority of people who are unable or unwilling to find answers on their own and call phone support aren't the brightest people...

I don't think that it's necessarily a question of intelligence...

Some people have a higher endurance for putting up with incompetent phone support.

Other people have a higher endurance for putting up with poorly written/translated instructions and drawings that don't match the actual product.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:06 PM   #25 (Print)
kiljoy
Alone in the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendid
Does the name of the person really matter? I don't think so.
It does only in the sense that I don't want to be lied to. If I can't pronounce the name, how about we use numbers? Is it really better that the tech lie to me with the first sentence? I mean, it's not even a credible lie, but rather an unbelievable one. Does that really set the correct tone for the rest of the call.

I don't think so.

Tony

-Lionel Hutz
kiljoy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 02:14 PM   #26 (Print)
Snowman
Kinda fuggly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent
Face it, the vast majority of people who are unable or unwilling to find answers on their own and call phone support aren't the brightest people...

This from the guy with "format c:\*.*". Um, wouldn't that be format c: or del c:\*.*?
Snowman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 02:14 PM   #27 (Print)
splendid
Sayitagain sweety!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiljoy
It does only in the sense that I don't want to be lied to. If I can't pronounce the name, how about we use numbers? Is it really better that the tech lie to me with the first sentence? I mean, it's not even a credible lie, but rather an unbelievable one. Does that really set the correct tone for the rest of the call.

I don't think so.

Tony

Give me a break. How do you really know that's not the person's real name. There are many Indians in India that have American type names.

Pronunciation has nothing to do with it.

Anyway, how are you suppose to prove what their real name is? In the end it really doesn't matter since your just trying to get help for your computer problem. It's not like your doing a background investigation on the call center representative.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:18 PM   #28 (Print)
beLIEve
New Low Carb Avatar!

Yet another reason to put out this hilarious picture.

"Well, at least he didn't give it a "Tune in Tokyo" - StevoDadevo

"beLIEve, you are hot!" - justapixel

"My brain is incapable of remembering things for more than a day or two - and that is if I'm lucky." - justapixel

Editor's Note: Just in case she forgets!
beLIEve is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 02:35 PM   #29 (Print)
splendid
Sayitagain sweety!

Good one

Old 12-30-2005, 03:01 PM   #30 (Print)
dirk1843
I'm your huckleberry

I may be one of the stupid Americans.........but why do the people who have a pretty good job now, hate the people who gave it to them??

I am sure a large percentage of callers are rude and abusive, and that is uncalled for, but I for one am tired of being hated by all other countries just because we are Americans.