July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 06-02-2002, 12:27 AM   #1 (Print)
gleffler
This one goes to 11

Send a message via ICQ to gleffler Send a message via AIM to gleffler
Thumbs up Enabling Advanced Wishlists (3.0)

I've been very busy this weekend, haven't I?

3.0 has a very cool new feature for Wishlists. You can create a new "Advanced WishList" that combines a Genre, Actors/Actresses, directors, and keywords into one huge Wishlist.

As an example, you could get movies that had Carrie Fisher and were directed by George Lucas, something that can't be done with current wishlists.

THIS IS NOT SUPPORTED BY TIVO. It may cause things to break, it may cause things to not work -- heck, it may cause your house to catch on fire (but probably not.) This is invoked through a backdoor, obviously meaning that it's not fully tested yet. I have done a reasonable amount of testing on it and it appears to work OK, but YMMV.

New and improved SAFE way: From the "Create a Wishlist" screen, just press 0. The Advanced WishList option will become available. Note that this will NOT stay on the list after a reboot - you must hit 0 each time to make the option appear. For a way to permanently add the item, read below.

Now that that's out of the way, here's how to enable it:
1. Turn on backdoors (3 0 BC in Search By Title)
2. From the main menu...
WARNING! You are about to enter the Node Navigator. This is EXTREMELY dangerous. You should not enter any of the numbered nodes other than the one you are told to enter below. Doing so may render your TiVo useless unless you have a backup image.
... press Clear - Enter - Clear - 6. Navigate to number 30 in the list, then press the right arrow.
3. Select "Expert" from the WishList options screen that will be shown.
4. Enter Pick Programs to Record > Search Using WishLists > Create new WishList
5. Scroll down the new menu, past the bottom to unveil an "Advanced WishList" option. Select that, then enter your genre, actors, directors, etc.

(Oh, the Advanced WishList functions will stay enabled after a reboot.)

Enjoy!
/gleffler

Last edited by gleffler : 09-15-2002 at 07:02 PM.
gleffler is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2002, 12:28 AM   #2 (Print)
Otto

Very freakin' cool. Added to the main code list as well.

Just an extra caution, the Node Navigator is *not* for lightweights. Do not mess about in here without a backup of your unit. You can render the box unable to boot with an accidental stray button press. You have been warned.

Anyway, I can now make a Wishlist for Alias that won't find Get Smart episodes and so on. Keyword for ALIAS + Actor for "Jennifer Garner". Or instead of FRIENDS THE ONE to filter a Friends WL, a keyword of FRIENDS + actor of any one of them friends will work. Plus you can rename the Wishlist to know what it is! Sweet.

Last edited by Otto : 06-02-2002 at 12:53 AM.
Otto is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2002, 12:58 AM   #3 (Print)
Saturn
Lord of the Rings

Do not taunt the mortals who have not received 3.0 yet, for they are temperamental and possess flamethrowers.
Saturn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2002, 01:25 AM   #4 (Print)
gleffler
This one goes to 11

"Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!"

/gleffler

Old 06-02-2002, 02:54 AM   #5 (Print)
ILoveMyTiVo
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Otto
Anyway, I can now make a Wishlist for Alias that won't find Get Smart episodes and so on. Keyword for ALIAS + Actor for "Jennifer Garner".
Isn't this exactly the same thing as a keyword for ALIAS "JENNIFER GARNER"? The only difference I see is you don't have to type out the name.

I didn't see title listed as one of the things you can filter on in gleffler's description which is slightly more restrictive than keyword. But actor wishlists are equivalent to keyword wishlists with less typing AFAIK. Director wishlists do limit to the director field though. You can always filter on genre in combination with other things.

Renaming does seem useful though - especially if it affects the order displayed on the screen. You could even use that to group related wishlists if you can change the name without changing the search terms.
ILoveMyTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2002, 03:53 AM   #6 (Print)
ajhrefugee
Membor

Send a message via ICQ to ajhrefugee Send a message via Yahoo to ajhrefugee
I've heard there's also Advanced Wishlists in 2.5 and it's accessable the same way, but I can't seem to find a post on which node it's at...
ajhrefugee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2002, 04:09 AM   #7 (Print)
Tiger
TMNBT Special Forces

This feature has actually been around for awhile, and you don't need the node navigator to do it. Just go to create wishlist and instead of selecting a wishlist type, hit 0 (Zero) on the remote. I'd thought this was a known one a year or so ago, otherwise I would have posted it.

Old 06-02-2002, 04:11 AM   #8 (Print)
Tiger
TMNBT Special Forces

Oh yeah, you DO need backdoors enabled, with the appropriate backdoor version (2 0 TDC, BD 2 5 or 3 0 BC - Yes, this has been around since wishlists)

Old 06-02-2002, 04:37 AM   #9 (Print)
Otto

Huh. Well, I'd never seen it before. Of course, I never mucked about in the Node Navigator to any great extent either.

ILoveMyTivo: Yes, you could do that (and I do for some items), but this seems cleaner. I like cleaner implementations.
Old 06-02-2002, 08:07 AM   #10 (Print)
David Platt
Large Ebony Rooster

Send a message via AIM to David Platt
I'm not sure I see the advantage of this advanced Wishlist. It doesn't seem to be able to restrict a wishlist, but rather makes it more broad. As a test, I tried Otto's example of a keyword for 'Friends' plus David Schwimmer as actor. The list returned not the expected listing of all upcoming 'Friends' episodes, but a listing of all upcoming programs with the word 'friends' in it or with David Schwimmer in it. The advanced wishlist will actually pick up more things than before.

So what am I missing? How is this any different from having two separate wishlists for keyword 'friends' and David Schwimmer?

Old 06-02-2002, 10:47 AM   #11 (Print)
andyf
Long time TiVo user

So it's not just me. I entered an "Action/Adventure Movie Genre, Segal for actor and murder for keyword.

It gave me alot of movies. This seems to be an OR relationship rather than an AND one.

Old 06-02-2002, 11:13 AM   #12 (Print)
Otto

Hmm. Damn. You're right, it appears to be an OR. Well, still, might have some uses.

Edit: No, it *can* be an AND. Add your items, go to Edit List, and make the items required by hitting thumbs up next to them.

This could get quite complex since you can make different sets of items required. So for my Alias WL, I'd make both Jennifer Garner and "ALIAS" required to limit it fully. Or for the Friends WL, make both FRIENDS and David Schwimmer required.

Last edited by Otto : 06-02-2002 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-02-2002, 12:25 PM   #13 (Print)
gleffler
This one goes to 11

One way to use it is as an (x AND y) OR z -- as in:

<Thumbs_up> Julia Louis-Dreyfus
<Thumbs_up> Jerry Seinfeld
Keyword: Potato

That would return programs with Jerry Seinfeld and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, AND any programs that had potato in the description.

If you added a Thumbs Up to Potato, it would return programs with all of the following: Jerry Seinfeld, Jula-Louis Dreyfus, and potato in the description.

(Which probably wouldn't return much, but hey -- I'm sure you can think of better examples. )

/gleffler

Old 06-02-2002, 12:27 PM   #14 (Print)
David Platt
Large Ebony Rooster

Send a message via AIM to David Platt
Quote:
Hmm. Damn. You're right, it appears to be an OR. Well, still, might have some uses.

Edit: No, it *can* be an AND. Add your items, go to Edit List, and make the items required by hitting thumbs up next to them.

Hot damn! Otto, you prove once again you are the man! I knew this had to be an option somehow, or the whole thing was pointless. This is going to make wishlists so much better.
David Platt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2002, 12:31 PM   #15 (Print)
feldon23
MythBuster

Yep.

Just tried this on 2.5.2 DirecTiVo. First, I had to Beam Myself Up.

Then pressing 0 gives you a whole other menu.

Old 06-02-2002, 02:43 PM   #16 (Print)
kdmorse
Devil's Advocate
High Score: 479820 Asteroids Champ!

You can also Thumbs-Down an item - but it doesn't appear to do anything. I was really hoping for a logical Not.

-Ken

Old 06-02-2002, 02:55 PM   #17 (Print)
Otto

kd: Yeah, now that would be great. Fairly logical for thumbs down too.
Old 06-02-2002, 03:19 PM   #18 (Print)
Spire
Spire Refrigeration

Thumbs up

Very cool feature. Way to go, gleffler and Otto!

I'm not quite clear on how the "required" items work. Say you have a two-item Advanced WishList "A or B". How do you transform this into "A and B"? Do you turn just A into a required item? Or just B? Or both? Does it even make a difference?

Depending on how this works, it might conceivably be possible to create complex Advanced WishLists, for example of the form "(A and B) or (C and D)".

I will play around with this feature when I have the time, and post my findings.

Last edited by Melody Chalis : Today at 03:47 AM.
Spire is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2002, 04:02 PM   #19 (Print)
DrStrange

Neato. But does anyone have any feel for whether or not it's safe to get attached to this feature? Or will it leave me the first time some sexy new version comes along and break my heart like Teach Tivo did?
DrStrange is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2002, 04:27 PM   #20 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

This feature is also in UK 2.5.5 via backdoors.

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2002, 04:42 PM   #21 (Print)
Otto

Quote:
Originally posted by Spire
Very cool feature. Way to go, gleffler and Otto!

Hey, he found it, not me. I'm too chicken to screw around with the Node Navigator.

Quote:
I'm not quite clear on how the "required" items work. Say you have a two-item Advanced WishList "A or B". How do you transform this into "A and B"? Do you turn just A into a required item? Or just B? Or both? Does it even make a difference?

I think you have to check both of them, although I'm not sure. I'll have to experiment to work out exactly what it's doing.
Old 06-02-2002, 04:54 PM   #22 (Print)
DrStrange

Quote:
Originally posted by Spire

Playing around with a Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan AWL (both "sleepless in seattle" and "Joe vs the Volcano" are in my guide data, so this makes a good test case) If I thumb up only Tom I only get "Joe" and "Sleepless", as if I asked for "tom AND meg". However if I then add "Gary Sinise" without a thumb I get both Joe and Sleepless and Forrest Gump and Green Mile, but no other Tom Hanks movies. But if I thumb up one of the other two in addition to Tom I no longer get anything. If I thumb-up only one of the other two I only get the movies that person was in with Tom. Perhaps the logic is "(All the thumb-upped items) AND (at least one of the other items)". That would mean you couldn't do "(a and b) or (c and d)". Still, pretty damned cool.

Last edited by DrStrange : 06-02-2002 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-02-2002, 05:11 PM   #23 (Print)
Tiger
TMNBT Special Forces

I've never played around with the node navigator and I've been using this since 2.0... This is not a node navigator only feature.

Old 06-02-2002, 05:28 PM   #24 (Print)
Spire
Spire Refrigeration

Arrow

OK, I just did some playing around, and if I understand DrStrange's posting correctly, then my findings seem to agree with his.

Generally speaking, if you create an Advanced WishList with required items {R1, R2, R3...} and non-required items {N1, N2, N3...}, then the boolean expression is constructed as follows:

(N1 and (R1 and R2 and R3...)) or (N2 and (R1 and R2 and R3...)) or (N3 and (R1 and R2 and R3...))...

In other words, the WishList still operates as an OR of the non-required items, except that each non-required item is first ANDed with the set of all required items.

We can simplify the boolean expression to come up with another way to look at it (DrStrange's way):

(R1 and R2 and R3...) and (N1 or N2 or N3...)

Last edited by Spire : 06-02-2002 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-02-2002, 05:41 PM   #25 (Print)
Otto

So in other words, do it procedurely:

1. Take the total list of all shows that match the Genre, if you selected one (you can only select one Genre).
2. Subtract everything that doesn't match any of the items.
3. Subtract everything (from what remains) that doesn't match all of the required items.
4. What you have left matches the wishlist.
Old 06-02-2002, 05:42 PM   #26 (Print)
rexdart
Eskimo Spy!

ok, let me get bent over into the proper position to accept my swats after asking what is going to be, I am sure, a dumb question.......

Quote:
Oh yeah, you DO need backdoors enabled, with the appropriate backdoor version (2 0 TDC, BD 2 5 or 3 0 BC - Yes, this has been around since wishlists)

what does this mean? or more to the point, how do I do what it is telling me to do? (I still have version 2)

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.
rexdart is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2002, 05:44 PM   #27 (Print)
gleffler
This one goes to 11

From TiVo Central,
Pick Programs To Record > Search by Name > Enter "2 0 TCD" with the arrow keys and select on the grid displayed > Press Thumbs Up.

Backdoors are now enabled.

/gleffler

Old 06-02-2002, 05:45 PM   #28 (Print)
Spire
Spire Refrigeration

Arrow

Rexdart, see Almost Complete Codes List for comprehensive to all your questions and more.

Old 06-02-2002, 06:07 PM   #29 (Print)
DrStrange

Quote:
2. Subtract everything that doesn't match any of the items.
3. Subtract everything (from what remains) that doesn't match all of the required items.
4. What you have left matches the wishlist.

I think that still misses. What you describe would match shows that contained all the required items, whether they matched any of the non-required or not. In fact it appears that shows must match at least one non-required item, in addition to all the required ones.

Try:
2. Remove everything that doesn't match all the required items
3. From what remains remove everything that doesn't match at least one non-required item.
Old 06-02-2002, 07:35 PM   #30 (Print)
embeem

Just a quick note that it used to be node 28 or if you have access to bash you can do
bash-2.02# dbset /Setup AdvancedTheme 1

CVnB02kbxifsgVYcYfEiTG2qfIdFXmstrEhW9gpe+5OxEYid979qu1Esg2YH NA7W8tSTd1t9
88LYW46AhE01Uts8pa4TgZazxlo/FkMAS3i/Oqtm7Rf8C6QzXmbDgbN+fP+Fcu53FOtZXNXX
ClRoZSB0cnV0aCBhYm91dCBhIG1hbiBsaWVzIGluIHdoYXQgaGUgaGlkZXMg LU1hbHJhdXgK
embeem is offline Report Bad Post Report Post