Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-03-2002, 06:25 AM   #1 (Print)
DKK

Batch Save to VCR still available?

Since I finally got 3.0 the other night I decided to order the necessary supplies from Mark and the good folks at 9thTee to install TurboNet on my SA 1 TiVo. Once I can telnet into the box from my PC I would like to install and activate the batch save program I heard about. Unfortunately my searches in the archives and FAQ's has left me questioning if:

-The script actually exists and works with 3.0

-How a person like myself with little to no Linux experience would install and run the program.

Maybe one of these days TiVo will include this enhancement in the software, but until then it would be great if I could archive the half our shows that are choking my baby. Thanks alot!!
DKK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-03-2002, 10:01 AM   #2 (Print)
CliffHanger

Just add a bigger disk to the box. It's way easier than the hassle you're considering. There are some great deals on disks right now.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
CliffHanger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-03-2002, 11:04 AM   #3 (Print)
jmoak

...just in case you enjoy the "hassle",

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...&threadid=62619

i'm no expert, but it looks like it'll work w/3.0...
jmoak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-03-2002, 11:41 AM   #4 (Print)
hutchca

Embeem created a great tcl script for batch save.
For some reason the original thread got deleted.
Here's the closest related thread.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...&threadid=62856

Embeem, I hope you don't mind me posting this. Nothing was ever re-posted after the original thread was deleted.

The script can be found in Embeem's file area
http://tivo.samba.org/download/mbm/
Under misc , the file is called merge.tcl

Yes, it works fine under 3.0.
The multipart recordings seem to disappear on their own after a while though. I think whenever a new recording is added to Now Showing.

Instructions. IIRC...

Step 1. Select the programs you want to add...
From the program description screen press the 9 key on your remote.
There's no feedback on the TiVo. If you watch the terminal or telnet session though you'll see confirmation messages from the script.
Note, if you leave the Now Showing area, all selected shows will be removed from the selection list and you'll have to start over again.

Step 2. Merge the selected programs into 1 large program...
On the last show you want to add, from the program description screen, after you've pressed 9, then press 7 and all the shows will be merged into one show called multipart.
When you return to the Now Showing list it might not show up immediately. Give it a few seconds to complete the merge.
This doesn't take up any extra space on the system, the new recording just points to the others.
When you want to exit the script, from any program description screen press the 1 key and the script should exit and return your bash prompt.

Step 3. Use the Save to VCR feature on the new Multipart recording and all the shows will be played in sequence seamlessly.
Note, Trickplay doesn't work correctly in a multipart.

- All keys must be pressed in the program description screen.
- The new merged program will remain after the script exits.
- Deleting the Multipart recording will not delete the originals.

Is all your life will ever be" - Waters

Last edited by hutchca : 07-03-2002 at 12:04 PM.
hutchca is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-03-2002, 12:41 PM   #5 (Print)
DKK

An 80 gig upgrade was the first thing I did about a year and a half ago. But just like HDD on my computer, I like to clean up and archiving every now and then is good...you know, housekeeping. Any way, I'm up for the "hassle" and I was not kidding--I know squat about getting embeem's program to run.

Thanks for the thread, hutchca. I've been watching it for a while hoping someone would post the instructions at my level of expertise. I downloaded the merge.tcl file from embeem's site, but now what do I do with it?

Also, with regard to your instructions on how to use the program, is this done with the remote control sitting in front of the the TV rather than using something like tivoweb or telnet? It would appear that I would go to Now Playing, scroll down to a recorded program, right arrow to the program description, and press 9 to add a program. Since there is no confirmation I would then left arrow back to Now Showing and repeat for all of the shows to be merged. After pressing 9 to select the last show I would press 7 to merge them. After a while the merged program will show up on the Now Showing screen entitled "Mulitpart" which I can scroll down to and Save to VCR. When finished recording to VCR I can press 1 to exit the script.

Thanks alot guys for the help!! This will be really cool once I get it working.
Old 07-05-2002, 08:35 AM   #6 (Print)
DKK

Is there someplace someone could refer me to so I can read about my install questions? I haven't had much luck finding it on my own and would appreciate any hints you gurus can offer.

Thanks, Don
Old 07-05-2002, 12:21 PM   #7 (Print)
hutchca

Install Instructions

Sorry DKK, I haven't been on the board since my last reply.

There's no installation short of simply transfering the file to the TiVo and running it
There's a lot of info around here and in the faq on how to transfer files to your TiVo.

Well, first you'll need to be able to Telnet or have shell access via the serial port. There should be plenty of info around here and in the FAQ on how to do that. You should also familiarize yourself with basic unix commands.

When you get your Turbonet card, you should not run the tubonet install script. The drivers are already included in 3.0. If you run the install script it'll mess things up.
You just need to add 1 line to rc.sysinit.
tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
That will run the telnet server at startup.

Of course to do that you'll need to remove the A disk from the TiVo, put it in a PC and boot from the TiVo Boot Floppy or The TiVo Boot CDROM.
Check the FAQ for More Info.

While you have the disk in your PC, you should take the opportunity to transfer several files like tivoftpd and ls
You'll need to create a directory for your files. The most commonly used location is /var/hack
CD to /var then md hack then cd hack
Then copy the files from a floppy disk to the hack directory

Then you should probably add /var/hack to the path so you can run them easily.
Add the following lines to rc.sysinit BEFORE the line that runs the Telnet Server.
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/devbin:/var/hack
export PATH

Now, once the disk is back in the TiVo, get a bash prompt via Telnet.

The easiest way to transfer files to the TiVo is with FTP.
If you put the tivoftpd program on the tivo while you had the disk out, you just need to run it by typing /var/hack/tivoftpd
Then the tivo will accept FTP connections.

If you don't have tivoftpd on the TiVo you'll need to use ZModem.
You'll need a terminal program that supports ZModem file transfers. Most do so it shouldn't be a problem. You'll have to look up how to do a zmodem transfer for your specific terminal program.
Use the command rz (Receive Zmodem) to upload files TO the TiVo
Use the command sz (Send Zmodem) to download files FROM the TiVo

Once you have the file on the TiVo you need to set the permissions and execute flag.
Type
chmod 777 ./merge.tcl
once that's done run the script by typing
./merge.tcl
the ./ indicates the file is in the current directory.

I hope this helps. I'm no expert and I'm sure my way of doing it is probably not the best but it worked for me.

EDIT: I just found this thread which will probably be much more useful to you than anything I've written here.
Check out this thread.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...&threadid=65853

Last edited by hutchca : 07-05-2002 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-05-2002, 12:29 PM   #8 (Print)
hutchca

Quote:
Originally posted by DKK
Also, with regard to your instructions on how to use the program, is this done with the remote control sitting in front of the the TV rather than using something like tivoweb or telnet?
Yes.
Quote:
It would appear that I would go to Now Playing, scroll down to a recorded program, right arrow to the program description, and press 9 to add a program. Since there is no confirmation I would then left arrow back to Now Showing and repeat for all of the shows to be merged. After pressing 9 to select the last show I would press 7 to merge them. After a while the merged program will show up on the Now Showing screen entitled "Mulitpart" which I can scroll down to and Save to VCR.
Yes.
Quote:
When finished recording to VCR I can press 1 to exit the script.
You have to be in a(any) Program Description screen like when you pressed 9 and 7. You can exit the script at any time. The multipart recording doesn't disappear when the script exits and doesn't have to be running while you save to VCR. I just wait for the multipart to show up in Now Showing then I go into a Program Description screen and press 1 right away so I get my command prompt back.

Old 07-05-2002, 06:37 PM   #9 (Print)
DKK

hutchca, thanks alot for the info. I'll be trying the to add merge.tcl tomorrow. Today was a great day and I have no one around that appreciates it. The wife just rolled her eyes. I successfully backed up and restored both my original A drive and the married A and B drives. It only took a few minutes as opposed to days using dd. MFSTools is great! Thanks, Tiger! Then edited rc.sysinit for the first time. That was scary but I'm getting used to it. Then put the drives back into the TiVo, put the TurboNet card in and fired it up. Holy cow, everything worked. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be archiving those shows.

Thanks again to all of you who contribute your time and knowledge so freely!!
Old 07-06-2002, 12:15 PM   #10 (Print)
mpulver
(mark pulver)

I'm getting an error from the script (merge.tcl). When I press 9 to pick a program, the script is saying:

#ERROR# /tmp/mwstate: context.info.pRecordingM: context not found

This is on a DSR6000 running 2.5.2.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
mpulver is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-06-2002, 02:32 PM   #11 (Print)
mpulver
(mark pulver)

Gotcha'.

Thanks embeem!

Mark
Old 07-06-2002, 02:51 PM   #12 (Print)
mpulver
(mark pulver)

I just patched up tivoapp and merge is working fine now.

I have tivoweb 1.9.4-beta3 loaded as well, and it announces the screen module loading, but it doesn't appear on the menu. No probs though, I'll look for that answer in the tivoweb b3 thread.

Thanks again!

Mark
Old 07-26-2002, 11:50 AM   #13 (Print)
notyou

merge.tcl and DirecTivo?

Hi - tried out merge.tcl on my Philips Standalone and it works just peachily. Sweet!

I'd love to be able to batch save some stuff on my new Hughes DirecTivo, but I'm too much of a wuss to try it out before getting the OK that it won't corrupt anything.

By the way, how exactly does merge.tcl work? I see the messages in the telnet session about selected FSIDs, and how a new FSID is created for the "merged" program.

My real question is: Does any more space get taken up? Or are you just doing some kind of symlinking to make x number of shows look like 1 show?

Interesting how the progress bar behaves. Total length is correct (5 1/2 hour shows = 2:30), but it looks like a partial recording, with only the first 1/2 hour being green. Then, when it reaches the end of the first 1/2 hour, the second 1/2 hour starts to play, but the progress bar "loops". And if you stop playing, and then later resume, it will jump to that same point, but *only* in the first clip.

So, if I was 15min into program 2, then I stop, and resume later, it starts playing 15min into program 1. Funky!

I realize that this is all moot, since the utility is really designed to let you batch save to VCR, but I was just curious about the innards of how this all worked.

Thanks!
notyou is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-04-2002, 01:55 PM   #14 (Print)
mrtickle

Quote:
Originally posted by embeem
2.5.x had a bug where two programs would attempt to write to /tmp/mwstate simultaneously thus corrupting the file.

There's no easy fix, you can backup your tivo, hexedit /tvbin/tivoapp and change the second occurance of "mwstate" to "mstat1" so the two programs write to different files.

Taking that literally, do you mean "mwstat1" not "mstat1", ie I presume it has to be the same number of characters but could be any string within reason?

Quote:

Make sure you have a good backup before you do such a crazy thing though.

Indeed! Silly question - does the replacement of the tivoapp file have to be done with the drive connected to the PC, I can't see how it can be done safely with the tivo running?

While I'm at it are there any other hex-edit bug-fixes to 2.5.5 that I could do - might as well do them all at once?
mrtickle is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-06-2002, 02:35 PM   #15 (Print)
mrtickle

doesn't matter, I've done it now. Works a treat! Thanks!
Old 11-21-2002, 06:40 PM   #16 (Print)
bignoise

Just trying this on a UK TiVo (2.5.whatever) and while adding the first recording is OK, adding the second recording does this:

Tmk Assertion Failure:
BlockFailure, line 1771 ()
Tmk Fatal Error: Thread tivosh <143> died due to signal -2
1a344ec 1a32a44 1a2ed70 1b95e0c 1c4d5e8 1c8ea68 1c83c80 1c77e7c 1c61a10 1c8e4e0
1c77e7c 1c61a10 1c625bc 190be50 190b87c 1c88c24 1c88f34 1919d90 1c61118 1c77e7c
1c61a10 1c849c0 1c85ec8 1c4d248 1c28cac 1800134

Is this due to the tivoapp bug that is mentioned here, or something else? And if it is, is there an easy way (e.g. a downloadable script, etc.) to change it? I'm hearing people say "just hexedit the file and change this to this" but that sounds awfully scary (Tommy) and while I'm not an idiot, I'm not sure I'm up to that, using unfamiliar tools on a not-quite-familiar OS. :-)

(I know the advice will be "If you don't know what you're doing, don't try", but I managed an HD upgrade, Turbonet and TiVoweb without too much of a problem..) :-)
bignoise is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2002, 11:57 PM   #17 (Print)
TiVolkan

Where is embeem's post in this thread??
2 posts refer to Embeems responses but they're nowhere to be found - It makes it really hard to follow when you don't know what's been extracted?

Can the moderator reinsert the relevent parts by embeem or point users to where they got relocated?

3 posts in a row by mpulver on 7/6/02 are the same problem I'm having but can't see embeem's responses:

#ERROR# /tmp/mwstate: context.info.pRecordingM: context not found

Thanks!
TiVolkan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-03-2002, 12:23 AM   #18 (Print)
DarkHelmet
TiVo Fanatic

What you have to do here is to copy /tvbin/tivoapp somewhere safe, and do a binary file edit on it. There are exactly two strings of the form "/tmp/mwstate". What you need to do is change the second string to "/tmp/mwstat1" or something like that.. The length must be exactly the same.

The problem is that tivoapp can try to use both at the same time and that corrupts itself. Changing one of the file names prevents this corruption.

This apparently applies to <= 2.5.x. Supposedly 3.0 doesn't need this.

SAT-T60 (bad drives)
SD-DVR80 (1x4.01b w/ 500G, 1x6.2 w/ 250G, 1x6.2 standard)
DarkHelmet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-03-2002, 02:42 AM   #19 (Print)
TiVolkan

Darkhelmet,

Thanks a bunch - When I rebooted it worked great!

By the way, anyone know what the number means after the slash in FSID - i.e. 1063691/10 or 1030029/-1?

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2002, 04:18 AM   #20 (Print)
DarkHelmet
TiVo Fanatic

Actually, what I really want is to be able to have the program description screen be displayed before each segment, rather than a truncated super-description at the beginning.

If anybody has any clues about that, I'd love to know how.

SAT-T60 (bad drives)
SD-DVR80 (1x4.01b w/ 500G, 1x6.2 w/ 250G, 1x6.2 standard)
DarkHelmet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-03-2002, 01:55 PM   #21 (Print)
mrtickle

That's easy - "save to vcr" each programme individually!

The solution in this thread makes one big recording which it just happens works with the existing "save to vcr" feature. (You can always edit the description with tivoweb).

What you want to do is not possible without re-writing the "save to vcr" function, or crudely automating the remote key-presses to do multiple "save to vcr" operations.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:19 PM   #22 (Print)
TiVolkan

This would be an excellent feature if I understand you correctly. You want the description to display before each individual program while its playing back. There are 2 possible ways to do this, one seems to be more plausible then the other, but neither is easy for me. Since the multipart program is merely a pointer to the individual MFS data files, one way is to encode the description of the individual programs and actually embed these short encoded segments into the streams themselves. An easier way (If you are good with the UI tricks, is to somehow trigger a Tivo event at the end of each segment, back out of the recording to the description screen for the upcoming segment (for a variable user-settable time-delay) and then re-enter the playback where it left off. You would have to intercept the event handler, and somehow hook an End-Of-Program marker to trigger the correct description screen, then re-enter the program. In concept, this is the easiest way, but not good enough with coding to do it myself.
Old 12-04-2002, 03:40 PM   #23 (Print)
bignoise

Well, I managed to FTP the TiVoApp application back to the PC to look at it with suitable tools - on my TiVo at least, the last 'e' of the second 'mwstate' is at byte 5137975, so it's literally just poking a '1' into that position. No problems there.

Of course getting it back onto the TiVo is, I would guess, more of a problem. (Particularly as I guess tivoapp is probably running, and in any case it appears to be read-only.)

I admit to knowing nothing about linux - what would be the weapon of choice for making this change directly into the binary on the machine?
(No pre-made script available, or anything like that, I guess?)
Old 12-04-2002, 04:37 PM   #24 (Print)
hiker

Quote:
Originally posted by bignoise
...what would be the weapon of choice for making this change directly into the binary on the machine?
(No pre-made script available, or anything like that, I guess?)
Good question. MuscleNerd used a C program for another tivoapp mod >>> http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...&threadid=87979
I used Hex Workshop on windoze, copied tivoapp back and rebooted. I don't know of a similar hex editor that has been ported to the tivo.
hiker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-04-2002, 06:27 PM   #25 (Print)
mrtickle

Quote:
Originally posted by bignoise

Of course getting it back onto the TiVo is, I would guess, more of a problem. (Particularly as I guess tivoapp is probably running, and in any case it appears to be read-only.)

When I did it, I did this -

stop myworld by typing "switcherstart -k" at the bash prompt. Obviously, make sure you're not in the middle of recording anything!

mount the drive read write.

Then copy the new file over the old tivoapp (I made a backup on the tivo itself), set access rights (chmod 755 tivoapp).

Then remember to remount the drive read only again, and sync.

then type reboot. Done!
Old 12-06-2002, 11:15 AM   #26 (Print)
bignoise

Thanks Mr. Tickle.. That seems to have done the job, all went off without incident.

Having given the merge script another try, though, it doesn't seem to have made a difference - still crashes (with the same error) the moment you add the second programme. Ah well. :-)
Old 12-06-2002, 06:05 PM   #27 (Print)
mrtickle

hmm. it can't be running your patched tivoapp then.
Did you rename the original tivoapp to something else, then upload the patched one in place? Because if you did I'm not sure if that would work - there are lots of files all symlinked to the file (do a "ls -lr") and they might all be still linked to the old copy.
I did a full copy ("cp tivoapp tivoapp.orig") then copy the patched one over the top of tivoapp.
Old 12-07-2002, 06:39 AM   #28 (Print)
bignoise

Just FTP'ed /tvbin/tivoapp back to the PC to check - it's definitely the patched version. First incidence in the file is /tmp/mwstate, second is /tmp/mwstat1.

Ah well, not to worry.. I guess I can live without it.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:23 PM   #29 (Print)
mrtickle

Very strange. I assume you rebooted the tivo etc.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:10 PM   #30 (Print)
bignoise

Yup, I did.. Strange!